Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Next tournament I should just do a babyface stable with the likes of Ura, Takayasu, et al. Just guys who are generally entertaining to watch and haven't had any breaches of hinkaku.

Nah heel stables sell tickets and have done so since the Ric Flair NWA days.

Gotta have Ryuden (likely M11+), Abi, Asanoyama (one of which will be S/K and the other M1-5), and maybe Hoshoryu (likes to play heel) or Keisho (gets a lot of flack online) for your Y/O. Just need a M6-10 guy and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

anakha posted:

Gotta have Ryuden (likely M11+), Abi, Asanoyama (one of which will be S/K and the other M1-5), and maybe Hoshoryu (likes to play heel) or Keisho (gets a lot of flack online) for your Y/O. Just need a M6-10 guy and you're set.

Terunofuji's kimedashi has to be the sumo equivalent of the figure four leg lock.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm joining for the next basho and yeah, it's just gonna be my stable of Good Boys. Plus Shodai.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

anakha posted:

Tamawashi was 8-7 on M10 last basho. Done and done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Tamawashi was 8-7 on M10 last basho. Done and done.

With the number of people in M1-10 that went mk, I honestly think Tom's gonna find himself in M1-5 next basho.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochinoshin rocking the undercut in his first post-sumo haircut.

I made a huge 😬 face when they started shaving that up. He has interesting wavy hair! Now it's a gross undercut with the rest slicked back. This feels like a drat batsu game punishment. :(

But I loved Tamawashi taking his snip and leaning in to say something, then giving Tochinoshin a little kiss on the cheek. Adorable. :kimchi:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That drat second picture made me wipe my phone screen thinking there was a hair on it

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

More kids sumo on

https://youtube.com/@hakuhocup

Boys Hakuho Cup. They have last year's VODs up so these might stay unlike the girls tourney.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So I just got this in my email and apparently it starts in six minutes and wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01547Hk5UI

https://www.trillertv.com/vl/p/international-sumo-league/

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Lid posted:

So I just got this in my email and apparently it starts in six minutes and wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01547Hk5UI

https://www.trillertv.com/vl/p/international-sumo-league/

Going by the comments in this reddit thread, it's not very good: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/s/9AFTczySwh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/s/Aaa9oJOGUx

Huge news

Sumo streams legal coming to America and Canada

However it's 25 a month because well they can't make it easy

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lid posted:

Huge news

$25 per basho is a little steep but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Technically it's $50 per basho because you're still paying the month it isn't on

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lid posted:

Technically it's $50 per basho because you're still paying the month it isn't on

Only if you don't unsub at the end of the basho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Lid posted:

Huge news

People are getting really excited but this says "NHK World" which I believe is not the channel we want.

I'm not totally sure about "NHK World Premium", but here is the schedule of it's programming:

https://nhkworldpremium.com/en/schedules

Unfortunately it only shows 1 week at a time and none of the snapshots I can pull up on the wayback machine overlap with basho dates so I can't figure out if they actually show the sumo or not, but I'm guessing they do not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd legit sub this for $25/mo every other month if we do end up getting a sumo feed on one of these channels.

Time to put my money behind what I've been saying. Give me a legal way to watch the raw feed and I will. $25 USD is a lot, and even more in Canada, but I'd probably at least trial it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
One goon pays for the 25$ sub and everyone watches them livestream it on discord

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Jobbo_Fett posted:

One goon pays for the 25$ sub and everyone watches them livestream it on discord

In if (s)he does the stupid bit where they’re holding a console controller and pretending it’s a video game, just so I can chat spam “shitatenage”

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We've had TV Japan for ages. If that's going into streaming now, too, I guess now we can finally cut the cord and stream everything we watch. I wish I had assurances that it was the same thing. I'll have to check the TVJ site more closely.

e: TVJ's Japanese site does make clear that Jme (pronounced "Jamie," btw) will offer the same content as TV Japan, which presumably includes sumo (all of makuuchi along with a separate highlights show). I don't know about an English audio track, but it'd be a popular feature for sure.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 20, 2024

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So Jamie will only show top division?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It looks like sumo as well as some other stuff will be getting an English track. It's $25 for 3 TV Japan channels and some on demand stuff. Other programs will also have English subtitles it looks like.

$25 is a stupid asking price but it seems like they're gonna offer a 30 day trial if you sign up between March 20 and April 30. So just in time for May.

If they put the sumo broadcast on demand as well, I'd almost be tempted. $25 is just way too much but it sounds like that's just Japan's pricing structure in general.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

even if it was 10 i don't know if i coudl justify it as an american as i usually can't watch live. i prefer digests when i cant tbh

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Especially with DST coming soon and then top rank not starting til 3am, the only sumo I can live watch is the low ranks and I usually gotta bail before juryo even starts. The service not having all of the ranks makes it kinda useless for the east coast at least :smith:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bentai posted:

So Jamie will only show top division?
Going by what TV Japan has been showing, yes.

Robviously posted:

$25 is just way too much but it sounds like that's just Japan's pricing structure in general.
Yeah, that's what it costs monthly to tack TVJ onto our U-verse subscription, and that's only accessible on our home TVs and not on-demand. It's still pricey, but marginally a better deal.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 20, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess whether I try it depends on whether I can DRV sumo or whether I have to actually get up at 3AM.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Yeah. The two main things are time shifting for so the big matches aren't at 3 in the morning and VOD digests so it's not a multi hour commitment each day. English overlays (even if it's just names/record) would be nice too. Commentary would be even better but as long as I can tell who's fighting when it's mid/lowercarders I can't quite recognize yet that's about the minimum requirements.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Unrelated to the current topic: I understand that if one buys sumo tickets from a kokugikan tea house it comes with some extra perks, such as a goodie bag and also folks that will help acquire refreshments throughout the tournament. Does anyone know how to do this as a foreigner? I'm going back in May and if I can avoid standing in line for beer and missing matches, that would be great.

Alternative opinion is to smuggle some Sapporo in my backpack.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760278078536777838?t=3eFbkoVRmjWoSTlLu97szw&s=19

Looks like Hokuseiho might be done. What a weird career. Dude was invincible in the lower ranks and quickly became the most boring wrestler in the world and now he's probably going to be forced to retire

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Chiyotairyu makes his MMA debut, bro should've stayed in Meatland :(

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1760278078536777838?t=3eFbkoVRmjWoSTlLu97szw&s=19

Looks like Hokuseiho might be done. What a weird career. Dude was invincible in the lower ranks and quickly became the most boring wrestler in the world and now he's probably going to be forced to retire

What did he do? Slump awkwardly on more junior stable mates?

Good riddance treeman.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

According to Sumo Chris, Hokuseiho has been ordered to retire after being found guilty of the bullying.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.47news.jp/10557038.html

And a proposal to demote Hakuho two ranks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao Hakuho going to murder someone

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

He should’ve murdered Hokuseiho when he had the chance

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tbf Hakuhos stable has a history of bullying and physical violence and I wouldn't be surprised if that comes from the man himself

Iirc there was that old video of him jumping up and down on a young rikishis back to get him to stretch that looked very painful

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

From Nikkan Sports:
https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202402210001519.html

DeepL posted:

The Compliance Committee of the Japan Sumo Association held a meeting at Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo on August 21, and decided to give Miyagino Oyakata (38, former yokozuna Hakuho) a demotion of two ranks and a pay cut, according to a source in the association. It was discovered that his apprentice, Hokuseiho (22), a makuuchi wrestler, had routinely hit junior rikishi and engaged in other violent behavior. The supervisory responsibility will be questioned; if the decision is made to demote him two ranks, Miyagino Oyakata will drop from committee member to the lowest rank of nenyoro (except for rehired counselors). The Sumo Association has seven levels of disciplinary action, with demotion being the third most serious, following dismissal and a recommendation to retire (resign). The proposal for Hokuseiho is to recommend his retirement, which will be discussed at an extraordinary meeting of the board of trustees on March 23.

According to association officials, Hokuseiho was found to have stolen money from the wallets of other rikishi during practice sessions and to have assaulted a young rikishi. It was also pointed out that he had been stealing since he was a student. The victim rikishi consulted his master, Miyagino Oyakata, but some said that he did not take proper measures to deal with the situation. The association learned of the situation through a post on a social networking service and had begun to question him. According to another source, a rift had already developed between master and disciple. When Hokushoho was absent from the first tournament in January, Miyagino and Mamagaki (former Maegashira Ishiura) reprimanded him in a harsh tone, saying, "You are not allowed in the ring.

The two master and disciples were present at the Compliance Committee meeting that day. Regarding the series of actions being discussed, Hokuseiho simply said, "I am honestly sorry. Meanwhile, Miyagino Oyakata remained silent when interviewed by the press. If Hokuseiho were to retire at this point, he would have been a sekitori for only 12 tournaments (as of the first tournament of the season) and would not have reached the standard 30 or more sekitori required to retire from sumo in the Kokugikan ring.

:cripes: I am disappointed in both of them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they're meeting in March to discuss his forced retirement, does this mean he's still on the March banzuke unless he's forced to "decide"?

Hakuho is going to mummify him in a mawashi and entomb him under the heya's practice dohyo.

But joking aside, that seems super lovely of both of them. I don't know how much to read into the fact that Hakuho didn't take appropriate measures; Whether he actually told him to stop loving around and stealing poo poo (and was ignored), or whether he literally just didn't bother doing anything. I guess we'll see.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 21, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

This doesn't look like MMA, they're getting separated immediately every time they clinch or any time anyone gets dropped (lets be real, when Chiyotairyu gets dropped), this is basically a kickboxing match with MMA gear on, weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hakuho doesn't seem the type to condone un-sanctioned violence. his approach to his heya from what i've seen is him trying to drag sumo into the 1900s and implement some rudimentary sports science like stretching (looking at you shodai) and not violently beating people for no reason.

i genuinely believe he believed what he said that yokozuna sumo is winning sumo, and i doubt he thinks winning sumo comes from servant beatings.

that said if it comes out he had knowledge about it and did gently caress all, i'll be extremely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unfortunately it seems really hard to argue hakuho doesn't deserve to get bopped for this. I mean if the best we can do is say maybe he didn't know what was going on in his heya (and I'm very skeptical of even that), not exactly a great defense.

It seems like an open secret this is totally widespread in sumo and maybe arguably he's getting singled out, but if he wants to run the show one day he should expect to be held to the highest standard, and hold his people to the highest standard