Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Turns out pokers really easy if your deck has 6 jacks of diamonds in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Help I'm addicted to computer poker like its 2005 again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fuuuuck I was on track to clear the dreaded round 300 million blind and then I bottom decked two of my polychrome 7:s: :argh:

EDIT: I just realized I had a throwaway hand to spend which let me dig up one of them, leaving me 10 million short.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
black deck sucks so loving bad. you either get the RNG to get the +1 hand voucher or you die

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

help

e: eight jokers, mostly trimmed deck down to ~4 numbers, one jack, and three suits
the legendary cards are invaluable here, you see Soul pop up somewhere you scrap a joker to get it if you have to
e2: triboulet for example? 2x multiplier on every King and Queen scored. things are practically I Win buttons if you can use em

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 21, 2024

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

barnold posted:

black deck sucks so loving bad. you either get the RNG to get the +1 hand voucher or you die

Meanwhile my first win on the full version was black deck without hand voucher :V

I did get my first two blinds' tags being "free shop" and "polychrome joker in the shop" though which did a lot of early work

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yay, full house build

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's 4am, I should go to bed but I just want to play more Balatro. This game is pure strain crack.

Had my most fun run ever doing the "Rich Get Richer" challenge. Turns out getting +0.5x every time you sell a joker is really broken when you get $20 interest per ante

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The new econ cards are way too strong. $5 for discarding three face cards???

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I just realized that this game actually reminds me more of The Binding of Isaac than a lot of other comparisons, for its willingness to let you make ridiculously OP builds that way too few of these really embrace. Just had my first really broken run where I had a baseline of $500k per hand with a high card due to how many multipliers I had.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As promised went and redid the intro post for the release version. Not 100% satisfied with it, especially with regards to how much info I should be leaving in vs. allowing people to discover, but there it is. The reserve post is probably gonna be saved for guides/people's super-incredible runs, unless people decide to start making fanart.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
the design of this game honestly makes me jealous, because everything about it is smartly designed and done. everything works as you'd expect. for example, you can use held arcana while in the middle of an arcana pack to modify cards that were drawn by the pack. you can sell jokers before using an item that trashes other jokers. you can modify the sorting of your hand to exploit cards that rely on the order of your hand.

and the UI perfectly tells you everything you need to know about your deck at a glance to quickly figure out the odds of pulling a certain card or set of cards.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just got all the way down to it on black deck and lost to the fuckin needle. the fuckin needle! i was already punished enough losing one hand every round then the fuckin needle comes outta nowhere and suplexes me

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

vampire joker + joker that makes face cards gold cards + X2 for kings and queens + joker that copies joker to the right + odd todd (lol) = some wild poo poo

i regret not buying the joker that treats all cards as face cards, but i really need to go to bed

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I actually had a really good build going with Bus Stop, Pants, and another joker with a multiplier for playing pairs. Unfortunately I never got any planets that increased the level of Pairs, and I couldn't slim down my deck, so I hit a wall all too soon despite having 30+ multipliers on both Bus Stop and Pants.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I set a profile to unlock everything, just to try poo poo out. The checkerboard pattern deck, Supernova (+1 to the Mult for each time you've played that hand), the joker voucher that makes it so your most played hand shows up every time in planet cards, and the card that upgrades your (first) discarded hand.

That's right, less than 6000 away from beating the first death level.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Ash1138 posted:

vampire joker + joker that makes face cards gold cards + X2 for kings and queens + joker that copies joker to the right + odd todd (lol) = some wild poo poo

i regret not buying the joker that treats all cards as face cards, but i really need to go to bed

I did this + joker that makes all cards count as face, but even then I got stopped at ante 13. Even with the vampires at like 20-25x you scale only quadratically and I couldn't keep up.

cerious fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ok time to stop playing Balatro for tonight, red/blue/yellow deck wins so far. This game is so good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've been trying to go up the stakes with ghost deck, and holy poo poo does the game get hard fast. Been stuck on the green stake for a couple hours now, and there's at least 3 more stakes to go it looks like. I cannot imagine what insanely good luck you'd need to win on the 3rd stake or higher.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 21, 2024

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, the arm is brutal. I didn't realize the drained levels would be permanent.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The arm is mean. You want to use all of your discards to win in one stroke if you can. One of the times where trying to assemble that 4 of a kind or straight flush is worth it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently a phone version is in the works, and set to destroy all my productivity for all time, forever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

weaning myself off vampire survivors (crack) with balatro (mega crack)

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Got the Midas mask vampire combo and can confirm poo poo is insane.
Also met the 300mil small blind. One moment you giggle about your 20mil hands, the next moment welp, not enough

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

The Kins posted:

Apparently a phone version is in the works, and set to destroy all my productivity for all time, forever.

just what I need, a version to play in bed/while making GBS threads/on the el/during my next ER visit/etc. etc.

I am sure I will get tired of this game eventually, until it gets either an expansion or Steam Workshop support, whereupon I will lose my poo poo again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

just what I need, a version to play in bed/while making GBS threads/on the el/during my next ER visit/etc. etc.

they have this already, on switch and steam deck

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I try not to bring my steam deck into the bathroom, feels unseemly

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

barnold posted:

I agree that it's hard to get off the ground, but because of its lack of gold from having less hands whixh doesn't let you even get to the bonus joker most of the time. I think all it needs is +2 starting gold maybe or I'm missing the correct way to play it.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

FZeroRacer posted:

you can sell jokers before using an item that trashes other jokers.

:tviv:

edit: saw on the previous page that Hex only works if you have at least 3 jokers. That's still good, though. I skipped one before because I was worried about one of my lovely jokers getting picked

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 21, 2024

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
I can't win with the yellow deck. It's cursed. The money boost is nice for sure but then it's up the rng.
I should probably use rerolls more

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This game is going to consume me

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

This is a win with the Black Deck, although I'm not really sure if I should count that for or against it, as I got super lucky in finding a whole bunch of Polychrome Jokers. Otherwise, this thing was built around spamming Three of A Kinds, preferably Aces when I could grab them. This is the run that made me think that I've been underestimating Steel Cards. A couple more of those and I might have won this Ante after all (or at least died on the Boss Blind instead).

EDIT: From my Blind log collection I'm glad to see that (unless I'm truly mistaken), LocalThunk got rid of all those Boss Blinds that in at least one version of the pre-game playtests ONLY showed up if you were 12 Antes deep or something.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 21, 2024

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Infinitum posted:

This game is going to consume me

i stole this for my avatar because it spoke to me :tipshat: much like this game does. i beat my first run with a money stacker deck. every hand was +500 chips from having 250 bucks and the joker that doubles that and adds it to your chips.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

:balatros:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Spectral packs rule because I buy them thinking of the possibilities and promptly gently caress up whatever my deck was because I am greedy and have no foresight.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I had 40 hours in the demo and the full release is even better, god this game rules. Having a lot of fun unlocking the new decks and seeing the new jokers and synergies. Had a fantastic run with a bunch of 2x/3x mult jokers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

faantastic posted:

Spectral packs rule because I buy them thinking of the possibilities and promptly gently caress up whatever my deck was because I am greedy and have no foresight.

One time I got my hand size down to 5. What do I need all those other cards for anyways?

(The upshot was that 2/3 of my deck was black 7s, so this actually murdered everything up to 300m.)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

i stole this for my avatar because it spoke to me :tipshat: much like this game does. i beat my first run with a money stacker deck. every hand was +500 chips from having 250 bucks and the joker that doubles that and adds it to your chips.

You should PM a mod and ask if it's possible to swap out to the transparent version I made.

It currently looks like this in dark mode

Here's a 180px version for you /w the transparency

Kuros posted:

:balatros:

From the small joker card if someone is desperate for a smilie

Here's the full set of joker artwork if anyone would like to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

the holy poopacy posted:

One time I got my hand size down to 5. What do I need all those other cards for anyways?

(The upshot was that 2/3 of my deck was black 7s, so this actually murdered everything up to 300m.)

I've been trying so hard to get down to a single set hand but I manage to hit some combo of bad ante or draw that I fall just short of my goal.

Fav deck so far has been getting to ante 6 just using high card ace. Needed more steel cards to amp it but it was a lot of fun just slamming one card every turn.