Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any leaks yet for the Pixel 9? Or the Pixel Watch 3? I hope there will be a big size one.

Pixel 9 leaks were like 2 weeks ago and yes, it's rumored that there will be a larger size this year for the PW3. I really hope they manage to build it so it can use the existing bands. It'll be tough since the bands follow the bend radius of the body, but I figure if they have the main body in a larger 44mm design, they could put partial "bulges" on the top and bottom with the bend radius of the band connectors and then it really just becomes like lugs.

I honestly really like the PW2, even in comparison to the Galaxy Watches I have, but it's so tiny on my wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Pixel 9 leaks were like 2 weeks ago and yes, it's rumored that there will be a larger size this year for the PW3. I really hope they manage to build it so it can use the existing bands. It'll be tough since the bands follow the bend radius of the body, but I figure if they have the main body in a larger 44mm design, they could put partial "bulges" on the top and bottom with the bend radius of the band connectors and then it really just becomes like lugs.

I honestly really like the PW2, even in comparison to the Galaxy Watches I have, but it's so tiny on my wrist.

Yeah, my biggest issue is that it's just way too small. I like the UI and it works well, the sensors seem good too, but the size is a dealbreaker. I also hate the band bullshit, just use standardized quick release bands please.

If there was a 44-46mm version I would buy it day one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

They got bought by someone right? Was it Dragon?

That sounds right. It was just another case of one of the best-in-class apps suddenly dying because of an acquisition or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I also hate the band bullshit, just use standardized quick release bands please.

Easily worked around by putting a set of standard lugs on it from a 3rd party or if you bought even one 1st party leather bands. From there you can just use 20mm bands.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Hey guys. I've been using a case with a cover for a few years now but as it fell apart I switched to one without a cover. I also work in a hospital and it would be nice if, when I get a call and the phone is locked, it lets me know I'm getting a call but not from which contact or number until I've picked it up and unlocked it.

Obviously I've tried Googling but it hasn't been much help. Maybe I'm not putting in the correct search queries. But some of the results do have titles with my exact question, they just don't answer them. Or they answer a parallel question e.g. 'Many people use Google Assistant to let them know of incoming calls. But sometimes you don't want to let everyone know who is calling! Follow our instructions to be notified by the familiar Assistant voice that you're getting a call, but not from whom...'

Any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

Android 14 with One UI 6.0 if it makes a difference.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I didn't even know that Assistant can read out caller name, I suppose that is not available in my region.

Though reading your post again, am very confused as to what you want.

Anyway, I use Macrodroid to read whatsapp messages and caller ID out loud, but only if I am wearing headphones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can't seem to post to imgur, but going into the phone app info, notifications, and scrolling all the way down, there's an option to "Allow full screen notifications". My guess that is what you want to toggle off, but I haven't tried it myself.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

Though reading your post again, am very confused as to what you want.

Well, when Carl in my contacts is calling me, a screen (usually full screen when the phone is locked, by default) comes up showing that it's Carl calling and asks me to accept or decline the call.

When a number not in my contacts is calling me, it shows that number on the same screen and asks me to accept or decline.

But in both cases, even though the phone is locked, the screen shows who the call is coming from. If my phone is on my desk, or say, on a beside table if I'm performing a procedure, I'd rather it didn't show who the call is coming from. I'd rather it simply alerted me that there is a call, so I can unlock the phone and see who is calling and whether to accept or decline.

I figure there might be a way to do this, as there is a way to hide who an SMS or email is from when the phone is locked, only being informed that you have received one.

Uthor posted:

Can't seem to post to imgur, but going into the phone app info, notifications, and scrolling all the way down, there's an option to "Allow full screen notifications". My guess that is what you want to toggle off, but I haven't tried it myself.

I can't find that setting. But there does seem to be the option for turning off notifications on a locked screen in general. Which I'm guessing might mean it just vibrates? I'll give it a go.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 20, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Have you tested weather the "hide private notifications" does what you want? It might or might not.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

but why

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just get one of those privacy view screen protectors so no one looking at the phone off-axis can see anything on it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

Have you tested weather the "hide private notifications" does what you want? It might or might not.

I'm not sure I can find that in my phone settings. I dislike how Android not only moves settings but renames them every version. Even Google's own instructions on how to find the settings for hiding private notifications are outdated for 14.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

I'm not sure I can find that in my phone settings. I dislike how Android not only moves settings but renames them every version. Even Google's own instructions on how to find the settings for hiding private notifications are outdated for 14.

Just go to Settings>Notifications it's not that complex

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
More passkeys chat - most sites I'm setting these up with don't actually seem to prompt (yet?) for passkeys, or they just get me to enter my password and 2FA code anyway, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My Pixel 8 tells me that my passkeys can't be encrypted on the device - is that the problem and, if so, how do I fix it?

Or maybe I'm not using them properly. I use Bitwarden in Firefox for password management and the Bitwarden app on my phone. Maybe I'm confusing myself between that and the Google account-managed stuff?

Right I'm a tosser, the Bitwarden mobile app doesn't support passkeys yet, so while it works with the browser on desktop, passkeys only work when I save them with the Google passkey manager. Oh well, hopefully mobile Bitwarden support rolls out soon.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 20, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I can't find that setting. But there does seem to be the option for turning off notifications on a locked screen in general. Which I'm guessing might mean it just vibrates? I'll give it a go.

I think that's for missed calls and the like, not the pop up that a call is coming in.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just go to Settings>Notifications it's not that complex

Ok. I'm monopolizing this thread with something people don't see the point of and it seems don't have an immediate certain answer.

But no. Unless there is something wrong with my phone in particular, or my brain can't process what's in front of me, that's not anywhere in Settings>Notifications.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I did a Google and I don't see a way to do what you want. Perhaps there is a 3rd party dialer or app or launcher that would help. Seems a low tech solution might be your best bet like the case you used to have.

Fwiw I get not wanting callers to show up since their contact photo could too but if I was in your situation I wouldn't be putting my phone where people could see it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know on my S24U, there's "Notifications -> Lock Screen Notifications" and if you hit the gear icon there you should be able to deselect the phone app. I do not know if that will get you want you want or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, while Asus denied the death of Zenfone last year, it seems like that was only a partial truth.

Looks like the Zenfone 11 Ultra will be launching on March 14th with no hint of a non "ultra" right now. The 11 Ultra is essentially going to be a de-gamered Rog Phone 8. So, pour one out for one of the last really small devices.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Bright Bart posted:

Ok. I'm monopolizing this thread with something people don't see the point of and it seems don't have an immediate certain answer.

But no. Unless there is something wrong with my phone in particular, or my brain can't process what's in front of me, that's not anywhere in Settings>Notifications.

Settings has a search feature that might help. It usually works for me when I can't figure out what menu they've decided to stash a given config in.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Splinter posted:

Settings has a search feature that might help. It usually works for me when I can't figure out what menu they've decided to stash a given config in.

Yeah it's really only a problem when both the location and name are changed. If it's the name then you can work it out, if it's the location you can search for it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah it's really only a problem when both the location and name are changed. If it's the name then you can work it out, if it's the location you can search for it.

This is my phone, Pixel 7a running Android 14.

"App Info" in the settings (or long tap on the phone icon).

Tapping on "Notifications".

Scrolling all the way down.

I think unchecking "Allow full screen notifications" is what you want, but I have not tried it.

As for how to automate turning it on and off depending on where you are, I'm sure there's an app for that, but I don't know.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hahaha. Well, pack it in. Because my settings menu looks nothing like that. S21 running definitely Android 14.

So even if there were a method someone here knew about, it would be unlikely that they could share it in a way that I could replicate.

Thank you for the effort! It wasn't totally in vain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My nieces came over and I showed them my new phone.

:j: Is that an iPhone or Samsung?
:v: It's a Pixel, made by Google.
:j: Google makes phones now?!
:eng99:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Bright Bart posted:

Hahaha. Well, pack it in. Because my settings menu looks nothing like that. S21 running definitely Android 14.

So even if there were a method someone here knew about, it would be unlikely that they could share it in a way that I could replicate.

Thank you for the effort! It wasn't totally in vain.

Ya the Samsung UI is completely different, but you should be able to search the settings for keywords.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Uthor posted:

My nieces came over and I showed them my new phone.

:j: Is that an iPhone or Samsung?
:v: It's a Pixel, made by Google.
:j: Google makes phones now?!
:eng99:

I just aged into an old man remembering when Google announced their first phones. it must have been fifteen years ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I just aged into an old man remembering when Google announced their first phones. it must have been fifteen years ago.

Longer than they've been alive!

:corsair:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 21, 2024

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bright Bart posted:

That's because that's not a screenshot of the setting menu, that's the app info screen

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Skarsnik posted:

That's because that's not a screenshot of the setting menu, that's the app info screen

Yeah I realized I was also talking about the app info screen as well just mispoke.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Have you considered a smartwatch? Not having to pull my phone out of my pocket to see who is calling or texting me is one of the primary reasons I use one, and it seems like it would address your issue by letting you keep your phone out of sight and still be able to get alerted of calls.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i really like the matte screen protectors i got for my pixel 8 but it makes whites really prismatic which is pretty ugly. guess ill have to try a better brand? anyone have suggestions?

e: maybe another way to ask the question is, do you think theres a significant difference between matte hydrogel protectors and matte tempered glass protectors?

e2: well i guess the grainy / prismatic effect is the caused exactly by the matte effect. hmm not sure i can have it both ways on this one

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 22, 2024

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Selling my GrapheneOS flashed Pixel 7 in SA Mart fyi

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Random OP houghts. Trying to enforce some order on them:

Got the full trade-in value on the OnePlus 12 for my OnePlus 9 Pro, despite a small but deep-ish scratch on the screen. Made the 12 cheap. Was $430 CAD off.

Very happy with the 12 but can confirm the nuisance bull3964 mentioned with wireless charging not stopping at 80% as set with my OnePlus AIRVOOC charger. Someone on reddit claimed a Qi charger stopped at 80%. I find that when I do let it stop at 80% on a wired charge, it appears to not last half as long as the "100% charge". I know there are collaboration issues with batteries, and I've never actually let it run to 0%. On a 100% charge though I don't even go under 70% on a low-use day. Rarely go under 50% on a heavy-use day.

ColorOS doesn't bother me at all, really happy with how photos turn out.

One dumb thing I had to use a 5G unlocker app to access it on my budget Canadian network (Freedom). Had no trouble accessing 5G on T-Mobile or Verizon using an eSim in the USA.

Got the Spigen case. Hard to recommend at like 4x the cost of the OP sandstone case, but it is nice though less grippy. I really like how obvious it makes the lock button vs volume. It makes the gesture navigation "feel better" against the curved screen. Also I don't notice the edges of the factory-installed screen protector with the Spigen case. It was really obvious with the sandstone case.

Perhaps unwisely bundled the OP Buds Pro 2 headphones. I haven't had other "true wireless" buds at that price point, but they do sound a lot better than my Jabras, but those were less than half the price.

Most reviews call out how dumb it is the OP ones don't have volume controls on them, but it doesn't bother me with how I use them. I really like the "squeeze stem to control" bit, the buttons on my Jabras were way too sensitive and I kept accidentally pausing when trying to listen in bed or wearing a bike helmet. Noise-cancelling is better (once I put on better-fitting tips), but almost more importantly, the transparent mode is vastly better. The Jabras weirdly dropped off quickly like more than a metre away, and also had this really annoying "feature" where if I took one earbud out to try to hear better, it would just shut off the earbuds completely so I'd still feel half-deaf. I'd basically have to rip them both out to hear people.

I missed having wireless charging on the earbuds ... the case works great with the AIRVOOC charger even though it kinda looks like it "shouldn't".

edit: huh, I thought it was a glitch showing in ColorOS, but this phone actually is dual-sim. A sim fits on both sides of the tray. Not as necessary now that I can use eSims, but still nifty and useful.

edit2: also lollll I can't believe how useful this IR blaster has been in IT. I wish the app/phone was able to learn from existing remotes though.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 22, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

I find that when I do let it stop at 80% on a wired charge, it appears to not last half as long as the "100% charge".

I'm actually not surprised by this especially if you leave your phone on the charger for any significant amount of time after it hits 100%.

I say this because OnePlus are lying motherfuckers and "100%" on the display actually means "I'll still keep drawing over 15w for the next 20ish minutes or so because my battery isn't really full and I just arbitrarily pick a 100% mark to make the fast charging look even better than it is."

I poo poo you not, my OnePlus 11 would continue drawing like 22w for over 15 minutes after it reached 100%. OnePlus was charging at a higher wattage past 100% than Samsung or Google do past 90%. It's kinda crazy actually and I don't know why more tech outlets haven't made a as big a deal about that as they have about Google taking 35 minutes to charge the last 10%. Maybe Google should just mark their phones as hitting 100% at 90% and keep silently charging as long as you are connected.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Speaking of batteries: is battery conditioning still a thing? I've seen a resurgence in people recommending running the battery down a few times for better battery life long term. It's not a thing I've done or even thought about in years and never had any issues, but seeing it mentioned so much has me wondering.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Desk Lamp posted:

Speaking of batteries: is battery conditioning still a thing? I've seen a resurgence in people recommending running the battery down a few times for better battery life long term. It's not a thing I've done or even thought about in years and never had any issues, but seeing it mentioned so much has me wondering.
That sounds stupid. I think the only reason to run down a Li-ion battery was to calibrate the gauge, but I don't know if that's a thing still.

I remember some manufacturers recommended doing it monthly, but that was like ten years ago I last heard of it.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Desk Lamp posted:

do not fully drain batteries other than occasionally, they only need to be calibrated once in their life maybe and fully draining one might: 1 kill it, 2: slowly kill it because charging a battery from empty generates more heat and batteries don't like heat.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

"Kill it" was specific to NiMH batteries as far as I know (and true).

Just suggest triple checking everything because christ there's a lot of mythology around how batteries work.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

teethgrinder posted:

"Kill it" was specific to NiMH batteries as far as I know (and true).

Just suggest triple checking everything because christ there's a lot of mythology around how batteries work.

lithium batteries can also drop too far down when they are unhealthy or at end of life that it will make them unusable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Modern battery management has enough buffer that if you go to zero it's not going to do much unless you then leave the thing in a discharged state for months on end afterwards so the self discharge takes it below the safe threshold.