Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Durzel posted:

Do people not find that the laser dog aggros poo poo that you would otherwise avoid on higher difficulties? I landed in on a guy already running a Suicide Mission level and it felt like my guard dog was a liability more than a help.

Group of 3 friends tried doing a level 7 mission, focusing on objectives but not being particularly stealthy and pretty much found that we were exhausting all of our ammo in each encounter. It just throws stuff at you at the higher levels, in my experience. Avoiding fights seems like it’s the way to go?

Yes, having it aggro random mobs and patrols is not great if you’re not prepared to bring violence of action to wipe them out instantly. You generally want to run towards objectives and poo poo on only what you have to. It’s not really about stealth it’s about time, you need to manage your time. Every incursion takes time so when you’re on 7+ and you run out of time you have no reinforcements or strategems it sucks hard.

Finding the pink samples: on bugs there’s a giant egg shaped rock it should be where they spawn.

Regarding ammo, make sure to have people tag ammo spots on the map as you go along or bring an ammo backpack. Worst case you can suicide someone to get a full ammo breaker and drop pod a heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love it when pubbies on high difficulties just start doing something with no chat.

Like they'll see a stupid escape pod beacon 300m away on the other side of foreboding smog and red dots and go "that's money, I'm going in", committing 110% to getting that win.

Hell I salute the pubbies.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can't wait 5 years for the Tim Rogers video on this game where he constantly refers to it as "Heckdivers... except, you know, they didn't say heck"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wish I never read wherever it was I saw somebody claim "The counter sniper isn't bad! Because it secretly has medium penetration!"

Because I finally got it, and oh man that was just a bunch of deflecting off of medium bots when missing their face, deflecting off of walkers, deflecting off of radiator vents on tanks and sniper turrets, and also it feels like the crosshair is lying or it has secret shot drift compared to the stock marksman because I couldn't even blow the face off of bots that were standing still most of the time with it :argh: (Then feeling justified for no impact grenades just by gently nailing cooked defaults onto the back of the tank)

Though I hate sniper turrets in general because they are one of the few things my trusty precision orbital keeps failing to pop it. While coinflip gambling eagle rocket came through for me again.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 21, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I genuinely don't like higher difficulty bug missions, for the life of me I just can't find them fun at all. None of the higher end bugs are particularly fun to fight for me. You either dump a bunch of ammo into breaking a charger's legs to hurt them, or you shoot their rear end when they spin around like they're trying out for dark souls 2, and every other bug is just so heavily armoured the autocannon bounces right off of them unless you manage to hit them right in the narrow glowing green spots. I don't even know what's up with bile titans, after a few shots their guts explode then they just wander around invincible. And god help you if you focus on trying to take down the big thing because a million small ones swarm you and if they so much as touch you, you're slowed for the rest of your life.

None of those problems seem to exist for robots.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Section Z posted:

Though I hate sniper turrets in general because they are one of the few things my trusty precision orbital keeps failing to pop it. While coinflip gambling eagle rocket came through for me again.
Yeah with those turrets (+hulks and tanks) you have to be lucky that your stratagem gets enough hits on their radiator for the kill. I've even had a hulk survive a near direct hit from my 500 kilo bomb since it landed right under its heavily armored nose.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't like higher difficulty bug missions, for the life of me I just can't find them fun at all. None of the higher end bugs are particularly fun to fight for me. You either dump a bunch of ammo into breaking a charger's legs to hurt them, or you shoot their rear end when they spin around like they're trying out for dark souls 2, and every other bug is just so heavily armoured the autocannon bounces right off of them unless you manage to hit them right in the narrow glowing green spots. I don't even know what's up with bile titans, after a few shots their guts explode then they just wander around invincible. And god help you if you focus on trying to take down the big thing because a million small ones swarm you and if they so much as touch you, you're slowed for the rest of your life.

None of those problems seem to exist for robots.

Have you met my friends Railgun and Orbital laser strike?

I haven't ventured into anything higher than 7, but at that difficulty you want a good group of 3 or 4, with 3+ orbital laser and 2+ Railguns. It's hard (as it should be) and most extractions devolve into absolute cluster fucks, but that is what I want out of this game.

You have to shoot bile titans in the face with the Railgun, bonus points if you can land a shot in their mouth when they open it to puke on someone. 2 shots with the Railgun breaks a chargers leg armor, allowing the team to quickly magdump their primary into it, and kill it quickly. It's not perfect, and the game is trying to overwhelm you with bugs at this difficulty (and succeeding), so you do have to pick your battles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sure do. Quickplay is in the cards feature on the main screen. Will get you in right away.

edit; I mean it might not successfully join on a friend, but it will go right around that queue and plop you on the ship if it fails.

I'm not sure I know what this means but I believe you! I will solve the problem by disabling power saving on my PS5 and just living there.

Still a level 5 pleb so it's pretty funny reading this thread.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Destroyer name:

I saw “Sovereign of Selfless Service” was a possibility and immediately imagined Daffy Duck saying it. So that’s what I went with.

SES Thsovereign of Thselfleths Thserviths

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

finally got in last night and had an absolute blast. got all the way up to difficulty 5, which still felt pretty easy even with my extremely basic loadout

cant wait until they unfuck the servers cause i want to keep diving back in

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The scythe isnt great but it gets a little better if you use it aim it at bug legs instead of bodies. Those shear off faster

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

Multiple titans at the same time? At 6 difficulty? I haven't seen that while playing at 7 difficulty. Multiple chargers I have experienced, but those get prioritized and dealt with quickly.

It sounds like we are playing a different games. Your experiences are valid, but I haven't encountered the struggles you do. Maybe I got lucky with good groups while you didn't. No idea.

I don't find it that contraversial that as the difficulty goes up, you require items that are level gated. By thr time you get to the 7's I was very close to 20. The double xp weekend helped a bunch, and maybe that explains my lack of frustration - I didn't have to grind through some weird middle period where I wanted harder difficultly, but didn't have the tools to tackle it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^
Bile titans can come in as part of a breach on 6 and above. We found that out the very first time we ever tried a 6 and spent half an hour fighting on the same part of the map we landed on cause we never could fight ourselves clear. Also now that my friends and I are clearing 7s we've seen two titans come out of a breach at the same time. The first time we saw it was when a lvl 2 person joined us and then like 1 minute later 2 bile titans at the same time show up.

The only armor the AC regularly bounces off of on the bugs is the charger and the bile titan. Every other bug should be wheat for your AC to harvest. The armored hive guardians are at worst 2 shot. The big fat assed spew bugs sometimes get deflections if you don't hit their face or their bulbous parts. But you can hit something on them at every angle that causes a boom instead of a deflection.

At this point when we see chargers the one or two people with rail guns will pop an arm armor and i'm usually in ADS aiming at the leg in question and pop it with one shot as soon as the armor is gone.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 21, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Early game the EAT is rather good, 2 missiles to take out 2 armored threats every 70 seconds, not as good as pulling out the railgun anytime you see a threat but when the big threats are low number it's still good and has some properties that make it better then railgun in certain situations, like sniping spore towers and drop ships.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Adding medium armor piercing to the first DMR you get would go a long way I think.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CainFortea posted:

^^^
Bile titans can come in as part of a breach on 6 and above. We found that out the very first time we ever tried a 6 and spent half an hour fighting on the same part of the map we landed on cause we never could fight ourselves clear. Also now that my friends and I are clearing 7s we've seen two titans come out of a breach at the same time. The first time we saw it was when a lvl 2 person joined us and then like 1 minute later 2 bile titans at the same time show up.

The only armor the AC regularly bounces off of on the bugs is the charger and the bile titan. Every other bug should be wheat for your AC to harvest. The armored hive guardians are at worst 2 shot. The big fat assed spew bugs sometimes get deflections if you don't hit their face or their bulbous parts. But you can hit something on them at every angle that causes a boom instead of a deflection.

At this point when we see chargers the one or two people with rail guns will pop an arm armor and i'm usually in ADS aiming at the leg in question and pop it with one shot as soon as the armor is gone.

It was just bouncing off of the green spew ones for me, it sucked because the autocannon tore bots apart but just feels worthless against bugs.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The only time it's not cool to get teamkilled is right when everyone's about to get extracted. Other than that, it's usually hilarious.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Nuebot posted:

3-5 chargers on Diff 4/5 seems like you aren't managing to kill a single patrol before it alerts and causes breaches. - played a 6 duo last night and never saw more than 2 chargers at the same time because we were killing patrols fast enough.

But I get preferring Bots to Bugs, it's a much more conventional shooter fight where cover and positioning matter more and their humanoid shapes make aiming easier.

Bugs are all about constantly running and dodging and starting engagements with maximum violence of action since 90% of their dudes are melee.

Section Z posted:

I wish I never read wherever it was I saw somebody claim "The counter sniper isn't bad! Because it secretly has medium penetration!"

Because I finally got it, and oh man that was just a bunch of deflecting off of medium bots when missing their face, deflecting off of walkers, deflecting off of radiator vents on tanks and sniper turrets, and also it feels like the crosshair is lying or it has secret shot drift compared to the stock marksman because I couldn't even blow the face off of bots that were standing still most of the time with it :argh: (Then feeling justified for no impact grenades just by gently nailing cooked defaults onto the back of the tank)

The CS is hot garbage - even if it has medium penetration it doesn't help - because bots don't have armored heads and shooting them in the body is dumb and pointless.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why is the anti material rifle so goddamned bad? Like, it's genuinely surprising how bad it does. It reliably leaves things alive that my goddamn side arm kills with no problem. It fails to take down basic robot infrantry with two body shots, despite that being enough to kill them with basically any other weapon in the game (and I actually had several survive what I could swear were head shots, even). And it's a sniper rifle you have you aim with low ammo capacity. And it seems to be less accurate at range than the machine gun is, somehow!?

I expected it to... I dunno, do something, be good at something, but what is the point? As is, I'm gonna be glad to be done with this mission and never touch it again. Am I missing something?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm not sure I know what this means but I believe you! I will solve the problem by disabling power saving on my PS5 and just living there.

Still a level 5 pleb so it's pretty funny reading this thread.

the Card feature is a PS5 system level feature that Sony hasn't been able to make people care about for 4 years, until this very moment. pressing the down button on the game's splash page in the PS5 main menu shows various 'Card' options below that can quickly get you into a game's discreet modes and completely bypass the main menu screen. Each game uses these options in different ways. In HD2's case, well, you can bypass the queue

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nuebot posted:

It was just bouncing off of the green spew ones for me, it sucked because the autocannon tore bots apart but just feels worthless against bugs.

So, the big green spew ones have armored shoulders and an armored stripe down it's center. Shoot anything green colored, or it's head, and you'll have a lot fewer bounces. Also the explosive effect sometimes has streaks that kinda look like bounces even though it's a hit. When I run solo I usually bring the AC and those bugs are 2 or 3 shots typically to kill.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sultan Tarquin posted:

SES Senator of War

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

absolutely nuke every one of these fail bitches. it's the only way to be sure

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

I expected it to... I dunno, do something, be good at something, but what is the point? As is, I'm gonna be glad to be done with this mission and never touch it again. Am I missing something?

What I thought was a joke mindset seems to be a true pattern in games. The "Benefit" is "You can't accidentally kill yourself with it, so we gotta make sure it isn't as good as the self harm options as a Trade Off™ .

An autocannon you can accidentally kill yourself with, allowing it to be stronger in general. The railgun has a setting that lets it kill yourself (unless that just doesn't work right and I am terrified for nothing?). No matter how often people calling it overpowered instead of adequate in a game full of letdowns, it is a weapon you can kill yourself with.

Though one honestly nice thing about the AMR, if a low bar. They only do the lovely videogame thing of "No 3rd person crosshair allowed for the sniper rifle", but still let you shoot it and it is generally in front of you instead of "Realistic gunplay means 75 degree angle out of the barrel without ADS".

EDIT: People have already talked about devs terrified of player DoT being good, which is why flamethrowers are in the state they are instead of able to solo a map from raw OSHA violation power.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 21, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The AMR has it's uses if you're in a full party who can cover the other bases. I don't really have any trouble killing warriors with it. And if you're just popping warriors and (turned) hive guardians every click, the MGer can focus more on the smaller trash, making it even easier for the heavy gunners to focus on the bigger things.

There's ways to do this with other guns, that are probably easier, sure. But you can absolutely do that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am loving the solo commando/scout lifestyle. When they start an objective I zip back to the group but until then I clean outposts that they're near and mark poo poo on the map for them. Lots of downtime during objectives that can be best spent on the run, closing holes and looting samples.

One time I had to run back to my team because I didn't see a bile titan until I was too close and as I'm hauling rear end I told my team-- they set up an HMG emplacement and got all set up to just gat that loving thing down. It was awesome!

Do not do solo commando poo poo if you're prone to dying, this is why the jetpack is important: you need to be able to book it at a moment's notice. Hittin' da bricks is the most powerful technique available to you.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Section Z posted:

What I thought was a joke mindset seems to be a true pattern in games. The "Benefit" is "You can't accidentally kill yourself with it, so we gotta make sure it isn't as good as the self harm options as a Trade Off™ .

An autocannon you can accidentally kill yourself with, allowing it to be stronger in general. The railgun has a setting that lets it kill yourself (unless that just doesn't work right and I am terrified for nothing?). No matter how often people calling it overpowered instead of adequate in a game full of letdowns, it is a weapon you can kill yourself with.

Though one honestly nice thing about the AMR, if a low bar. They only do the lovely videogame thing of "No 3rd person crosshair allowed for the sniper rifle", but still let you shoot it and it is generally in front of you instead of "Realistic gunplay means 75 degree angle out of the barrel without ADS".

EDIT: People have already talked about devs terrified of player DoT being good, which is why flamethrowers are in the state they are instead of able to solo a map from raw OSHA violation power.

Before I got the autocannon I thought that it would be an incredibly laborious process to reload it solo, because the description and videos made it seem like you needed someone else to load it. In reality you take a knee for two seconds to pop a stripper clip in and then you are back to nuking whatever is unfortunate enough to be in front of you.

The biggest danger for me is forgetting about the AOE and reloading as I'm being charged, just to fire point blank and kill myself.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is the anti material rifle so goddamned bad? Like, it's genuinely surprising how bad it does. It reliably leaves things alive that my goddamn side arm kills with no problem. It fails to take down basic robot infrantry with two body shots, despite that being enough to kill them with basically any other weapon in the game (and I actually had several survive what I could swear were head shots, even). And it's a sniper rifle you have you aim with low ammo capacity. And it seems to be less accurate at range than the machine gun is, somehow!?

It should definitely be one-shotting infantry with a body shot, so you're probably not quite landing your shots. Hell it can even two-shot hulks from the front if you hit the head twice.

But I used the AMR against bugs for my daily instead and it did surprisingly well there as basically a weaker but more mobile autocannon. And with the faster firerate you can even magdump into a charger's behind to kill it without needing to peel off any armor. Still wouldn't take it over an actual AC but at least it's better than I thought it would be.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is the anti material rifle so goddamned bad? Like, it's genuinely surprising how bad it does. It reliably leaves things alive that my goddamn side arm kills with no problem.

The AMR is never going to be as good as the Railgun or Autocannon (until we see buffs/nerfs), but you can absolutely make it viable with effort.

quote:

It fails to take down basic robot infantry with two body shots, despite that being enough to kill them with basically any other weapon in the game (and I actually had several survive what I could swear were head shots, even).
Against 'bot infantry you need to be going for body shots. They've got distructable arms, and hitting one will remove it but leave the guy walking around. Some - the heavy machine gunners mostly - have a winged backpack looking thing that is also destructible and will happily absorb a shot. This is probably what you've seen hit going for a headshot.

quote:

And it's a sniper rifle you have you aim with low ammo capacity. And it seems to be less accurate at range than the machine gun is, somehow!?
You definitely want to be crouching or prone unless you're hipfiring at Butchers at close range - something it's surprisingly good at.

quote:

Some things the rifle's good for:
Firing at long targets with a Breaker/Redeemer gun setup.
Disarming medium Bots (Missile pods & gun arms)
One-shot kills on medium 'bots (Hit the face)
Easy Strider cleanup (2 shots to a leg or 3 to the front)

Taking it DOES leave you a lot more vulnerable to tanks and cannon turrets, but two grenades (use impacts) can kill those if you land them near the vents.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Before I got the autocannon I thought that it would be an incredibly laborious process to reload it solo, because the description and videos made it seem like you needed someone else to load it. In reality you take a knee for two seconds to pop a stripper clip in and then you are back to nuking whatever is unfortunate enough to be in front of you.

The biggest danger for me is forgetting about the AOE and reloading as I'm being charged, just to fire point blank and kill myself.

It's funny though because you don't need a team reload with the AC to be effective at all, it still gets quite a boost out of doing it.

But man, if you can go prone on an elevated position and have a team reload going you can put out an absolutely poo poo ton of fire constantly. We've done it when the guy who ran off to close the whole or whatever was bringing a party back with him.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

JBP posted:

I love it when pubbies on high difficulties just start doing something with no chat.

Like they'll see a stupid escape pod beacon 300m away on the other side of foreboding smog and red dots and go "that's money, I'm going in", committing 110% to getting that win.

Hell I salute the pubbies.

:hmmyes: I was talking to an old military buddy of mine and we both agree that the game absolutely nails the vibe of the Bush-era overly-moto dumb-gently caress recruit who wants to go win the Medal of Honor but ends up throwing the pin and holding onto the grenade. All-in total idiocy. :hellyeah:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CainFortea posted:

It's funny though because you don't need a team reload with the AC to be effective at all, it still gets quite a boost out of doing it.

But man, if you can go prone on an elevated position and have a team reload going you can put out an absolutely poo poo ton of fire constantly. We've done it when the guy who ran off to close the whole or whatever was bringing a party back with him.

Oh that's absolutely true, it's more that the reloading mechanic seems like it was supposed to be a limiting factor on its use, while in reality it just makes the gun go from great to insane. It's more that the real limit there over something like the AMR is that the ammo has to take a backpack slot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just avoid marking patrols in pubs anymore because 99% of the time they will just immediately shoot the patrol when we could of walked around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It takes maybe a clip of an MG or a single eagle airstrike to clear a patrol, and now you won't get blindsided if you start up a nearby objective

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just avoid marking patrols in pubs anymore because 99% of the time they will just immediately shoot the patrol when we could of walked around.

Got a friend who cannot stop engaging with random groups or digging in and getting into protracted firefights with enemies in the opposite direction of where we have to go. We can fight on the way if we have to :argh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jokes posted:

It takes maybe a clip of an MG or a single eagle airstrike to clear a patrol, and now you won't get blindsided if you start up a nearby objective

Yes but pubbies very frequently will open up with a machine gun at 100 m, meaning they're absolutely not killing every bug before it breaches.

Speaking of even at higher difficulties the eagles strafing run is really good for clearing out patrols you can't avoid, especially if you're going off and doing your own Rambo thing. With your stealth armor you can get quite close drop the strafe run in and kill anything the strafe missed before it breaches. I think that the orbital laser is the only strategym that responds as quickly or quicker then the eagle strafing run does. And the strafing run is directional

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you manipulate the strafing run direction? is there a way to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

^ not that I'm aware of. I believe it is always perpendicular to the direction you threw it

I love the AMR against bots. It can kill everything except tanks (you can two-shot hulks with headshots) and you can engage enemies from far outside their ideal range. You can also very easily pick off any of them calling for reinforcements. I would not run it vs bugs, though. You have to brawl way too much and it is not good at that