Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The game seems to score your hands using your highest ranked hand type instead of your highest scoring one. I had a deck with an insanely leveled flush but a low level flush house, and I had to actively avoid getting a flush house or else it'd lose me points cause it'd take preference over the normal flush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
so I've done about half a dozen runs or so and the highest I've gotten is ante 7. Anyone got tips for deck building because it feels like I'm just throwing poo poo at the wall and its not working. Game's great fun though, it keeps bringing me back even if I'm bad at it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Infinitum posted:

You should PM a mod and ask if it's possible to swap out to the transparent version I made.

It currently looks like this in dark mode

Here's a 180px version for you /w the transparency

oh amazing thank you, i suck at this stuff. i paid for another one to do my part in keeping this dead forum shambling onwards for another one hundred years.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tibbeh posted:

so I've done about half a dozen runs or so and the highest I've gotten is ante 7. Anyone got tips for deck building because it feels like I'm just throwing poo poo at the wall and its not working. Game's great fun though, it keeps bringing me back even if I'm bad at it

Short form: Early on you need very little in the way of mults/chips to hit thresholds so typically you want one or two economy jokers to build up your funds. From there you slowly change from economy jokers to score/utility jokers to make the blinds. The only reason to keep an economy joker in your pool late game is if it's polychrome, negative or it's actively helping your mult due to effects of other jokers.

As for building the deck itself, typically you build around the jokers you get, not build in anticipation of the jokers you might get. If the game is tossing flush jokers at you and you're building the deck for straights you may lose pretty quickly. All hands can win a run with the right build and foresight.

Long form: Here's a good vid from Haelian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9Eva03zU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

faantastic posted:

Spectral packs rule because I buy them thinking of the possibilities and promptly gently caress up whatever my deck was because I am greedy and have no foresight.

Heads up that if you get a spectral pack, and all of the options are crippling to your current build, you can skip picking anything. Kind of a waste of money but better than killing your run.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's even a joker that gets a benefit from opening packs and passing on them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo I'm really bad at poker, apparently. Any tips?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo I'm really bad at poker, apparently. Any tips?

Kuros posted:

Short form: Early on you need very little in the way of mults/chips to hit thresholds so typically you want one or two economy jokers to build up your funds. From there you slowly change from economy jokers to score/utility jokers to make the blinds. The only reason to keep an economy joker in your pool late game is if it's polychrome, negative or it's actively helping your mult due to effects of other jokers.

As for building the deck itself, typically you build around the jokers you get, not build in anticipation of the jokers you might get. If the game is tossing flush jokers at you and you're building the deck for straights you may lose pretty quickly. All hands can win a run with the right build and foresight.

Long form: Here's a good vid from Haelian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9Eva03zU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think the black deck needs an extra dollar or two added at the start to get the ball rolling. I've tried to get it running about 6 times and I'm always getting killed in the first 3 antes. I'm not playing greedy either - if the game offers me anything that will help me immediately, I take it. It's so difficult to reach a point where its advantage even does anything and it's really late before that extra joker slot is better than a 4th hand.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
black deck should get the cash buff for discards too. in fact it should be sort of like an inverse of the green deck - you should get $2 for every discard and $1 for every hand remaining. rewarding the player for fewer discards in a hand-limited run seems like a good thing to do, and then it can be adjusted at higher difficulties than the base deck

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Thoughts:

Wow what a fun game
Wow I still suck at poker

I need this on mobile. I bought it for switch for moderate portability, but I need this game on my person at all times.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Lost a really good run because I rerolled a bad boss blind into the literal worst one for my build. I was on track to get it into a multi-billion point deck.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

BAD AT STUFF posted:

:tviv:

edit: saw on the previous page that Hex only works if you have at least 3 jokers. That's still good, though. I skipped one before because I was worried about one of my lovely jokers getting picked

not true in my experience - I've been trying to run the deck that gives you a starting Hex and just slapping it on the first joker I get

also, whoever said this is steam deck compatible, it doesn't seem to be launching on mine :(

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Fell asleep playing Balatro and dreamt of jokers. Haven't won a run yet, but I think I figured something out when I was asleep.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
finally beat the black deck. I got Rocket early on which helped me load up the bank, then a couple rounds later got Baseball and just started loading up on uncommon jokers regardless of whether they materially helped the hand. then I was able to swap out the bad jokers for better jokers as I got further in

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tibbeh posted:

Broadly, in order to score well you need:

1. A way to add chips
2. A way to add multiplier
3. A way to multiply multiplier

Playing big hands and leveling them up is a decent source of chips, but a poor source of multiplier. The difference in multiplier between playing something like a level 4 flush and playing an unleveled high card is less than a single mediocre joker, the biggest thing you're getting from the flush is chips.

Jokers are a great source of multiplier. Lots of jokers add multiplier and a lot of them are not even particularly specialized (which is good, because if you're relying on base hand scoring then you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket unless it's a really really good basket and a lot of the basic "+chips/+multiplier for a specific hand" jokers are not really worth it unless they have something like permanent scaling or multiplicative multipliers.) There are also ways to add chips from your jokers, but these are not as common as you need to keep an eye out for them. If you have a lot of chips from jokers and a lot of multiplier from jokers then the actual hand you play doesn't matter much, but if you only have multiplier from jokers then you need to be scoring good 5-card hands to get any reasonable score at all. At this point a joker that helps you get those good hands more reliably starts to look pretty useful, but again, just hitting the big hand every hand probably isn't enough if you don't have some added multiplier.

Suppose for example that you have 5 jokers adding an average of +10 multiplier each (a fairly mediocre build.) If you play a single ace, you score 16 chips x 51 multiplier for a little over 800. If you score a level 4 flush with decent card values you might score something like 120 chips x 60 multiplier = 7200. So you better hope that you can use enough tarots/spectral cards that you can reliably score that flush.

On the other hand, if you have 3 jokers adding +10 multiplier each and 2 jokers adding +100 chips, then your single ace now scores almost 3600 and your flush scores 8800. The flush is still obviously better but the gap is much smaller and it's not as immediately fatal if you miss your flush.

(If you only have chips from jokers and no real multipliers, you're probably gonna die barring Shenanigans, because even leveled up hands have very low multiplier compared to what you get from jokers. If you had +250 chips from jokers with no source of multiplier, the same flush is now only scoring 3700, about as bad as a level 1 high card from the more balanced loadout. Also, since chips are less common on jokers you're probably not even going to get to +250.)

These aren't very high scores, but these are pretty low bonuses for jokers, equivalent to the modifiers on holo/foil cards. Which means that if you get all shiny cards you can have a set of jokers that gives one of the sets of chips/multiplier above in addition to the actual bonuses on the joker! So go for those shiny cards, the skip bonus that guarantees one in the next shop is very good unless you have a rock solid joker build and/or no money. (Which is another important point: try not to be broke. Holding onto cash between rounds earns you interest, unless you're playing with the Green Deck. Don't go below $10 unless there is something amazing for sale, like a shiny joker with a big value ability.) Similarly, the voucher that makes shiny jokers more common is extremely valuable.

Even then, that only goes far. A reasonably strong joker base chips/multiplier joker build with 2 foils and 2 holos might see something like, I dunno, +270 chips and +90 multiplier. At this point you're clearing 25k on a high card and 39k with a level 4 flush. That probably gets you over the finish line, but you still might get sunk by a particularly nasty boss blind. After a certain point you need to stop looking at things that add multiplier and start looking at things that multiply multiplier. The worst joker in that build might only be adding +20 multiplier, which is only about 25% of your score. If you swap it out for a joker with x1.5 multiplier, you're going to get a much bigger boost.

And that's equivalent to a polychrome joker that does absolutely nothing else for you, there are much better multipliers available. There are also never any diminishing returns on multiplicative bonuses: if you play a level 4 flush and have a single joker that gives +20 multiplier it just tripled your score, but a second +20 multiplier joker only increases it a further 40%. But no matter how many x2 jokers you have they will always double your score, which racks up very quickly. The only caveat is that you still need a reasonable base score for the x2 jokers to fire off, if you get too greedy fishing for polychromes and big multipliers then you will hit the wall pretty quickly--you still can't neglect the need for base chips/multiplier.

tl;dr:

1. Pick up some jokers that add chips
2. Pick up some jokers that add multiplier
3. Pick up some jokers that multiply multiplier

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 21, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kris xK posted:

I need this on mobile.

Mobile version in the works
https://toucharcade.com/2024/02/21/balatro-mobile-release-on-the-cards-post-launch-developer-confirms/

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised people are struggling with the Black deck. I've found it to be the easiest to play with so far (aside from the checkerboard deck... Good LORD)

Anyone get the joker that gives permanent plus chips to a played card? If you have effects that re-trigger a card, it will get the extra chips again. It's a funny way to run up the left side of the formula.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

black deck got me the furthest so far (i credit the jokers and not that piece of poo poo black deck. +3 hands and 0 discards is huge) but i died to the 300mil blind

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I like this game a lot.
The decks, blinds and jokers could use some more "character" to make it more visually and conceptually interesting but otherwise it's really fun and addicting.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Just won my first Ante 8 around my tenth run with a yellow deck.
Those :10bux: at the start really help getting off the ground. I even smashed the Flint on the first ante thanks to some throwaway +mult jokers I would've never got otherwise.

The cerulean bell almost got me in the end but I managed to score a couple of lv 12 flushes and that was it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

Surprised people are struggling with the Black deck. I've found it to be the easiest to play with so far (aside from the checkerboard deck... Good LORD)

Anyone get the joker that gives permanent plus chips to a played card? If you have effects that re-trigger a card, it will get the extra chips again. It's a funny way to run up the left side of the formula.

Black starts out way harder than any of the other colored decks since it does literally nothing until you get a 6th joker (and possibly a 7th if you got an early negative.) It also has a permanent economic disadvantage since you lose out on $1 every round from having one less hand, which doesn't sound like a lot but hurts pretty badly since you absolutely can't afford to bank money early.

Conversely, I find blue to be one of the easiest and most consistent decks; 5 hands can easily clear the first ante without having to buy anything, so you're free to bank money/pick useful skips/grab expensive stuff that comes up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've found it's most helpful to just slam down as many Jokers as fast as possible (with most decks) and then sort them out later. Black gives you more options.

Like, the first two ante levels don't actually need the jokers to win. By the time you do need them, Black should have more.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Swear to god, the Fish is an absolute twat of a boss blind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've found it's most helpful to just slam down as many Jokers as fast as possible (with most decks) and then sort them out later. Black gives you more options.

Like, the first two ante levels don't actually need the jokers to win. By the time you do need them, Black should have more.

I guess I need to git real gud then because I find it takes lot of luck to clear the first ante with 3 hands and no jokers (which is a scenario I've found myself in when the shop wouldn't cooperate.) It's still quite doable but there's no guarantee that the cards cooperate, whereas other decks pretty much can just sleepwalk through the first two antes.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Honestly, just about any common decent joker will clear the first couple antes with minimal effort and cost.

Any of the +4 suit jokers, even steven, jolly joker, half joker, mystic summit, misprint, gros michel (as long as it doesn't kill itself), etc.

Just slap one of them into your pool and play around them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah but what about getting two econ jokes and folding to the ante 2 big blind, huh? HUH?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh lord, you can get the Arm early. That's devastating.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah but what about getting two econ jokes and folding to the ante 2 big blind, huh? HUH?

*Buys Delayed Gratification and Business Card*

WHY CAN'T WIN GAME!?

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Lost a good run because I thought the blind that you can only play a single hand for was the one that makes you play a single type of hand because I can't read.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

the day this comes out on phones is the day I get fired at work

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Kins posted:

Apparently a phone version is in the works, and set to destroy all my productivity for all time, forever.

No! No!!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Got my first win with the green deck and an insanely juiced 2 pair. Along with bonuses to 4 card plays, and ‘has a pair in it’, making full houses also extremely good. Got to play my first 5 of a kind, hehe.

Game is cool and extremely smart the way it plays off the age old 52 card deck. It’s like pure roguelite choices, distilled. Not sure how long I’ll play it given I’ve had my fill of that sort of deck building. But I’m still very impressed.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Color Printer posted:

the day this comes out on phones is the day I get fired at work

I'm seriously considering buying this again on steam so I can steam link it to my phone.

I need it in my veins

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Thinkin about those jokers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Thinkin about those jokers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This morning in a half awake/asleep daze I was pictuing Balatro cards in my head. I played 5.4 hours of this yesterday.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kuros posted:

Honestly, just about any common decent joker will clear the first couple antes with minimal effort and cost.

Any of the +4 suit jokers, even steven, jolly joker, half joker, mystic summit, misprint, gros michel (as long as it doesn't kill itself), etc.

Just slap one of them into your pool and play around them.

Sure, but there's no guarantee that you get one right off the bat and the black deck puts you on a much shorter timer to get something going. If the shop only serves you planets/tarots/econ jokers/things that are too expensive for your starting funds then by round 3-4 you have to start praying you just constantly luck into straights or better. Having a 4th play gives you a lot more margin of error on your draws and means you have more money in the bank for when something good shows up, on top of whatever the actual ability of your deck is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

First victory!

Just call me Johnny SixtyOneHearts :smuggo:

https://i.imgur.com/kUNUchk.mp4

Absolutely busted run. Entire hand was Hearts, and just kept adding more and more and more as the run went on. Convert to Hearts, delete other decks, and making sure I converted as many cards as I could into bonus cards.
Real hero of the run was the Flash Card gaining a +2 multiplier everytime I rerolled the shop & having a ton of Lucky Cards to have a shitloard of money + the Supernova card gaining a multiplier everytime I played a poker hand type(flush). I think I finished the run at 32x, and 40x above is when I couldn't get past the 1/2 million wall on the small blind of Ante 10

Game owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
“Did the update break this game? It says the Mark only makes face cards get dealt face down, but it’s dealing all my cards like that! How are you supposed to beat this!”

Forgot I had Pareidolia in my Jokers.

It was an early Ante so I still won just slamming down cards blind and getting some lucky pairs.