Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

well, in a way, dying of covid is really just an alteration in living preference, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
It gets better, one of the study case adjudicators/co-authors was also a peer reviewer.

This was a con job.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hellequin posted:

It gets better, one of the study case adjudicators/co-authors was also a peer reviewer.

This was a con job.

Hey wait. Isn't that illegal? That feels like it should be illegal

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

But wait I thought the pandemic was over Joe

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1760159377460285717

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

toggle posted:

what the gently caress?? this is “gremlin on the plane wing” type poo poo. how can this ever be fixed ?

Up until relatively recently, nursing textbooks taught poo poo like 'black people are very emotional and tend to overstate the amount of pain they're in.' They're just expanding the definition of 'problem patient', that's all.

quote:

In a section on pain, Nursing: A Concept-Based Approach to Learning offered the following guidance:

"Hispanics may believe that pain is a form of punishment and that suffering must be endured if they are to enter heaven."
"Jews may be vocal and demanding of assistance."
"Native Americans may prefer to receive medications that have been blessed by a tribal shaman."
"Blacks often report higher pain intensity than other cultures."
"Indians who follow Hindu practices believe that pain must be endured in preparation for a better life in the next cycle."
Such advice didn't come cheap. Amazon is selling new hardcover copies of the book for $234.98, although there are a variety of less expensive rental, ebook and used possibilities as well.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/10/23/nursing-textbook-pulled-over-stereotypes

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

maybe it's because the frail old man they're trying to get reelected has to make it another 4 years to save democracy

Baddog
May 12, 2001
That story sucks cus I have migraines, and have had other poo poo going on with them - and all the pain and being unable to see straight just makes you emotional, yep. Always helps to have someone with you to sympathetically be able to navigate the nurses. Go with other people to the hospital, and stay with them if you love them. The worst poo poo happens when you get on the bad side of a nurse, goddamn.

That being said, gotta trust your own masks these days. You really need health care workers on your side, can't be leading off with demands on them, unfortunately.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

p sure haim saban is responsible for bringing power rangers to the US.

our faves!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
they should lock him in the room with those two instead

mags
May 30, 2008

I’m sorry I took the low road. any prevention is nice to see!!!

mags
May 30, 2008

wash your hands!! :unsmigghh:

mags
May 30, 2008

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
You didn't need to white noise post once, let alone four times, in response to that.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Hey wait. Isn't that illegal? That feels like it should be illegal

Not illegal, but almost assuredly academic fraud and generally something that doesn't happen with papers published in a Nature journal. This whole thing stinks. It's like the NIH had a predetermined outcome in mind, one which would exonerate them for not funding a study of ME/CFS since 1989 and which wouldn't force them to apologize for the years of neglect, or have to fund further studies, or in any way upset the status quo. So they went looking for the three most toxic and obnoxious lead investigators they could find. Guys who would net them that outcome no matter what they actually found. And this is who they came up with:

I'm certain someone's being paid off somewhere along the line, or that someone nudged someone else and said, "Hey we can't actually afford to help these people if we agree it's a real thing, just pretend it's fake like we did last time."

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Florida stay winning with personal responsibility and medical freedoms

https://twitter.com/maxwellsmith/status/1760128311953334516

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hellequin posted:

I'm certain someone's being paid off somewhere along the line, or that someone nudged someone else and said, "Hey we can't actually afford to help these people if we agree it's a real thing, just pretend it's fake like we did last time."

It does feel like they're trying to find the sweet spot between finding a treatment and awareness for Long Covid because it does also impact the rich people, and to deny that it's a disabling condition because hoo boy imagine how much disability $$$ the government will have to pay out

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

thread reader for folks https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1760178262620389708.html?utm_campaign=topunroll

and a screenshot

this post is actually one of my nightmares. I get more worried about needing to go to a hospital all the time. and it’s like, an actively malicious place now, not just one where the conditions lend themselves to mistakes that cause you a lot of unnecessary pain and suffering.

mags
May 30, 2008

The Ghoul posted:

You didn't need to white noise post once, let alone four times, in response to that.

oh no not in cspam please keep it serious

mags
May 30, 2008

this is for debate and discussion ONLY

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

It does feel like they're trying to find the sweet spot between finding a treatment and awareness for Long Covid because it does also impact the rich people, and to deny that it's a disabling condition because hoo boy imagine how much disability $$$ the government will have to pay out

The last estimate I saw was $250 billion in private disability insurance claims. I don't know what the number would be for government claims.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

gently caress everything, imo

i have experienced utter contempt from some HCWs over masking, but can't say i've been confined over it, yet.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Goddamn the news is bad this week.

Apr 7, 2003

ahaahahah

quote:

COVID-19 was always destined to be an endemic respiratory virus for which repeated infection would become a fact of life for humans. This is not capitulation but an embracing of the biology of the virus.

We have reached the "embrace the virus" stage of messaging

Apr 7, 2003

It would be nice if the author of that piece, Dr. Adjala, would take us on a day-in-the-life style tour to show us how he is living his values and fully embracing the virus.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Never mind about JN 1.7. Maybe JN.1 23 is the one to keep an eye out on since it's more widespread

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1760113331736543560

mags
May 30, 2008

quote:

When our ancestors chose to live among each other in cities and villages, it brought many advantages, but there was also the tradeoff of flourishing communicable diseases, as population density and attendant social interactions increased. Among these communicable diseases were respiratory virus infections, which I believe people implicitly consent to when they live among and interact with each other.

people implicitly consent to cholera when living in cities, why clean the water?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Strep Vote posted:

Goddamn the news is bad this week.

What news?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

found some pics of our ancestors choosing to live in cities

but go on, tell me how I deserve to be sick because my great great great grandparents took some apparent Faustian bargain trading their health for toys or some poo poo.

mags
May 30, 2008

tuyop posted:

found some pics of our ancestors choosing to live in cities

but go on, tell me how I deserve to be sick because my great great great grandparents took some apparent Faustian bargain trading their health for toys or some poo poo.

the Original Consent

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

That story sucks cus I have migraines, and have had other poo poo going on with them - and all the pain and being unable to see straight just makes you emotional, yep. Always helps to have someone with you to sympathetically be able to navigate the nurses. Go with other people to the hospital, and stay with them if you love them. The worst poo poo happens when you get on the bad side of a nurse, goddamn.

That being said, gotta trust your own masks these days. You really need health care workers on your side, can't be leading off with demands on them, unfortunately.

I'm sure you know this but what you just said is "maybe if you say all the magic words and don't make waves the people who obviously don't care about your life and are putting it at risk because it's mildly inconvenient for them to do otherwise will change their minds"

You frankly don't have an option to trust your own respirator when admitted because you have to take it off constantly for tests and medications, and pretending otherwise is magical thinking. That's why source control and ventilation matter so much in hospital settings.

mags
May 30, 2008

when people started driving cars, there was an implicit consent that you’ll be crashed into

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
having an advocate/witness with you is great advice though.

personally, my partner has needed some hospital visits (non emergency) for long covid stuff and our protocol is for only one of us to go in ever. in my head, we’re doubling the risk if both of us are in a hazardous environment together. but that risk is minimal compared to the certainty that there will be healthcare workers in there and they have a lot of power to gently caress up your life quickly.

so how to think about being together in the hospital?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last thursday I went to an art opening that I had a piece in. I was kind of nervous about going but work has been absolute poo poo for months so I was hoping to drum up business. I wore a Blox N95 the entire time but it got incredibly crowded and I had to step outside a few times and kept away from the crowd and took my mask off to cool down a couple times. I left after an hour when the place got completely packed.

Monday I woke up with a cough and tested positive. Fortunately symptoms are not terrible (only feeling like a lovely cold) and I'm hoping that it passes as easily as possible. Tough poo poo for me not being able to afford insurance for the past year; paxlovid is hideously expensive.

gently caress.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Last thursday I went to an art opening that I had a piece in. I was kind of nervous about going but work has been absolute poo poo for months so I was hoping to drum up business. I wore a Blox N95 the entire time but it got incredibly crowded and I had to step outside a few times and kept away from the crowd and took my mask off to cool down a couple times. I left after an hour when the place got completely packed.

Monday I woke up with a cough and tested positive. Fortunately symptoms are not terrible (only feeling like a lovely cold) and I'm hoping that it passes as easily as possible. Tough poo poo for me not being able to afford insurance for the past year; paxlovid is hideously expensive.

gently caress.

Test2treat.org should still be free. Have you got tested yet?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

Test2treat.org should still be free. Have you got tested yet?

Only home tests. I'll check the website though, thanks!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Be sure to choose the option of having it shipped. Some reports from goons and out there had said that the pharmacy they picked could never fulfill it for weeks or never. It'll be a while before it get there but would be more of a guarantee that you get it

Also be forewarned, some folks lately have been testing for a week before finally getting a positive result so don't assume the first couple negative means it's not covid.

mags
May 30, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

they’ll take a pic of the @home test so yr good there afaik

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A friend of mine just used test2treat and had a great experience with it. 0 to pax in less than 12 hours.

He also only just had a home test.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

Be sure to choose the option of having it shipped. Some reports from goons and out there had said that the pharmacy they picked could never fulfill it for weeks or never. It'll be a while before it get there but would be more of a guarantee that you get it

Also be forewarned, some folks lately have been testing for a week before finally getting a positive result so don't assume the first couple negative means it's not covid.

Ah poo poo. I chose pick up at pharmacy.

edit: at this point I did all the questions and chose to do a telehealth meeting. Do I get notification of when it is via email or text? At the end of all the questions it just said "Thank you for choosing eMed"

edit 2: just got an email saying their clinicians will review my stuff and email me when they get through it. Fingers crossed that I can get a telehealth meeting today. My pharmacy is literally a 5 minute walk from where I live so hopefully I can badger them into getting my pax ready asap if I get it prescribed.

GATOS Y VATOS has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

Florida stay winning with personal responsibility and medical freedoms

https://twitter.com/maxwellsmith/status/1760128311953334516

they're gonna send truancy cops after dead kids' parents next