Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Well it's fighting back and we're gonna lose.

Then the earth will slowly repair itself. :)

The comparisons of ecology to biology have always kinda made me roll my eyes, despite how intricately they are connected, but for real the earth is gonna develop a fever and burn us out and then be fine again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Saganlives posted:

The comparisons of ecology to biology have always kinda made me roll my eyes, despite how intricately they are connected, but for real the earth is gonna develop a fever and burn us out and then be fine again.

This unironically is one of the few things that keeps me sane. It's called the sixth extinction for a reason. Hell, when the first oxygen producing algae came along they nearly killed the whole world.
OTOH I'm not exactly thrilled that by the time humanity dies off we're gonna have taken down elephants and penguins and octopuses and all my other favorite animals... except maybe jellyfish. The noble jellyfish may yet inherit the earth.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's funny how the worst animals* are the ones that'll take over when we leave. Humanity just hates the competition.

Jellyfish, cockroaches, camels, mosquitos, cats, flies, etc

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I let youtube premium expire because I'm frankly getting sick of google as a whole and the youtube music app no longer plays a majority of songs and also does not work if it's not the active window.

Time to go back to spotify. I should probably divest myself from gmail soon too.

Hey remember when there was Google Music and they let you store your own MP3s and stream them ad-free? Then one day they were like, "hmm on second thought... gently caress you!"

BTW the app "NewPipe Sponsorblock" will let you play music from YouTube on your phone in the background for free. Don't pay Google please.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Could you link the store page, it's unsurprisingly buried.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Entry level job. 2 years experience required. - assholes

somehow i talked my way into a mid-level job that required 5 years of electronics soldering experience, SAC soldering experience preferred (i had absolutely none professionally and most of my experience soldering came from learning to make stained glass with my grandpa), on the merits of my cleanroom experience (which did not apply)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Amazon ads are just hosed. Paying money for the privilege of supporting advertisers, smh

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek post, but if not: because people are incredibly lonely in the modern world and parasocial relationships offer a way to feel connected with humans.

People are incredibly lonely because they've replaced their real relationships with parasocial ones.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Time_pants posted:

People are incredibly lonely because they've replaced their real relationships with parasocial ones.

No. The parasocial relationships are a direct result of increasing alienation.

Also, this discourse about TikTok is :okboomer: as hell. I don't use it, but it's not that weird. Your parents said the same poo poo about you all being on forums and IRC all day back in the dial-up days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And they were right

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Ghoul posted:

No. The parasocial relationships are a direct result of increasing alienation.

Also, this discourse about TikTok is :okboomer: as hell. I don't use it, but it's not that weird. Your parents said the same poo poo about you all being on forums and IRC all day back in the dial-up days.

It's extremely millennial to shut down discussion of the effects of emerging trends by being like "ew, you don't want to be like a boomer, do you?"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont think tiktok is like a primary threat to society but i also would say forums and IRC were a lot different from tiktok and probably less harmful if only because they were not nearly as mainstream

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

i dont think tiktok is like a primary threat to society but i also would say forums and IRC were a lot different from tiktok and probably less harmful if only because they were not nearly as mainstream

IRC and the forums never completely hosed up a waiting room for everyone else. The tiktoks are the spiritual successor of the boombox

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Entry level job. 2 years experience required. - assholes

I managed to get a well-paying IT job without a degree. I've been pissed at my employer's executive leadership so I've been applying for jobs doing the same thing. Despite doing this for over four years, not having a degree means I haven't gotten a single callback lol. Luckily I'm not in dire need.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I don't know about y'all but I've lost my social relationships but have not replaced it with any parasocial relationships. Am I doing loneliness wrong?

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

Heath posted:

It's extremely millennial to shut down discussion of the effects of emerging trends by being like "ew, you don't want to be like a boomer, do you?"

This hasn't been a discussion of the effects of emerging trends. This has been getting weirded out by people using a new thing a lot and complaining about it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if they started selling tvs with no volume control i'd dislike that as well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is the last time you bought a tv

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

bradzilla posted:

I managed to get a well-paying IT job without a degree. I've been pissed at my employer's executive leadership so I've been applying for jobs doing the same thing. Despite doing this for over four years, not having a degree means I haven't gotten a single callback lol. Luckily I'm not in dire need.

Does the employer say the degree has to be from an accredited university? I think we can get a Universal Life Church kind of thing going...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

anonumos posted:

I don't know about y'all but I've lost my social relationships but have not replaced it with any parasocial relationships. Am I doing loneliness wrong?

lol I don't even know what a parasocial relationship is!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

April 14, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

redshirt posted:

it's when podcast hosts are your pals

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

It's all the people here and the reason you post like 40 times a day loving loser lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mozi posted:

April 14, 2022

I remember that day... things were better

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

January 26, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Saying “IRC and old forums are the same as modern social media!” Is that flat wrong. There was no algorithm telling me what threads to read or billion dollar advertising giants completely controlling the flow of information in 2001 SA. IRC was not 50% bots shilling for corporations and upvoting their own comments in 1998. It was lovely in its own ways, but it was much more fragmented and less susceptible to being bought and paid for by any one entity.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

Saying “IRC and old forums are the same as modern social media!” Is that flat wrong. There was no algorithm telling me what threads to read or billion dollar advertising giants completely controlling the flow of information in 2001 SA. IRC was not 50% bots shilling for corporations and upvoting their own comments in 1998. It was lovely in its own ways, but it was much more fragmented and less susceptible to being bought and paid for by any one entity.

That's not what's being discussed. The last two pages are complaining about not getting content on tiktok, or being annoyed hearing other people using it. There are many legitimate issues to be had with social media in the 21st century. This has just been complaining about a new thing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Ghoul posted:

That's not what's being discussed. The last two pages are complaining about not getting content on tiktok, or being annoyed hearing other people using it. There are many legitimate issues to be had with social media in the 21st century. This has just been complaining about a new thing.

I remember being in the bus and getting mad at the folks clicking on Khaled Mardam-Bey's nose to make the funny noise too.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
everyone is an internet addicted weirdo now instead of the outsider minority of weirdo nerds. it was never a good thing to be, but there were enough people not yet infected with the brainworms so they could subsidize our worthless neet consumption. but its too drat profitable for rent seeking tech companies to get everyone hooked up to the digital heroin.

it aint called eternal september for nothing. no end in sight

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

dreezy posted:

everyone is an internet addicted weirdo

I'm not :smuggo:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with this is that technical education (computer touching doesn't count) is for acting on the real world and the laws of physics don't give a gently caress about intellectual property. Even capitalism cannot defeat nature.

Wrong! At Amazon University you can do anything you set your mind to, if you work hard enough. So, first of all base 10 math is out. The superior Bezos Math® is base 8. Metric system is also out and replaced by the Amazon Great Customer Satisfaction customary units. Let's see who wants to poach an engineer that can't calculate 9x9 in their head or what 20% of 100 is or how many millimeters are in a meter.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

That's an interesting thought experiment, but it kind of falls apart knowing that they'd just hire third party contractors instead of employing graduates.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

dreezy posted:

everyone is an internet addicted weirdo now instead of the outsider minority of weirdo nerds. it was never a good thing to be, but there were enough people not yet infected with the brainworms so they could subsidize our worthless neet consumption. but its too drat profitable for rent seeking tech companies to get everyone hooked up to the digital heroin.

yeah and it's normalized stalking people, creepy behavior in general. we've been paying for it for over a decade now

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Ghoul posted:

My post was obviously a meta commentary on my posts being a thing that are getting shittier for no reason.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

Wrong! At Amazon University you can do anything you set your mind to, if you work hard enough. So, first of all base 10 math is out. The superior Bezos Math® is base 8. Metric system is also out and replaced by the Amazon Great Customer Satisfaction customary units. Let's see who wants to poach an engineer that can't calculate 9x9 in their head or what 20% of 100 is or how many millimeters are in a meter.

You got a pay extra for Prime numbers

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dreezy posted:

It really does suck that large portions of these upcoming generations are even more addicted to the internet and gaming than even I was, and I was coping with having no friends all summer every summer to become like this :smith:

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
I plan on backpacking New Hampshire is backpacking a generous term for homelessness, not complaining I don't mind this life but it seems like some people are embarrassed about this kind of poo poo

lucking foser
Jan 10, 2023
i do non profit work from home at the public library and am an avid backpacker, I guess I can try to spruce up worthless piece of poo poo to try and find a job

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

My post was obviously a meta commentary on my posts being a thing that are getting shittier for no reason.

Once we get the algorithm to send your posts to the masses, we can take down the machine from within!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

lucking foser posted:

I plan on backpacking New Hampshire is backpacking a generous term for homelessness, not complaining I don't mind this life but it seems like some people are embarrassed about this kind of poo poo

It's backpacking if you have all the stuff you want, you have enough money to support yourself and you have a home to go to when you get bored of it. It's basically an extended holiday that you're doing because you want to do it.

If someone thinks that's the same as homeless they're being willfully obtuse or trying to minimize a societal problem.