Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jokes posted:

How do you manipulate the strafing run direction? is there a way to?

It always comes from behind you towards where you threw the ball. I'm not sure if that is when the run starts, or when you throw the ball, or when the ball lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That doesn't seem to apply for other Eagle strikes. The Bombing Run one is left-to-right based on your direction, I think?

Either that or it follows the Orbital Strike rule of going outwards from the center of the map.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is the anti material rifle so goddamned bad? Like, it's genuinely surprising how bad it does. It reliably leaves things alive that my goddamn side arm kills with no problem. It fails to take down basic robot infrantry with two body shots, despite that being enough to kill them with basically any other weapon in the game (and I actually had several survive what I could swear were head shots, even). And it's a sniper rifle you have you aim with low ammo capacity. And it seems to be less accurate at range than the machine gun is, somehow!?

I expected it to... I dunno, do something, be good at something, but what is the point? As is, I'm gonna be glad to be done with this mission and never touch it again. Am I missing something?

AMR is meant for precision taking out of key targets with max scope zoom, rather than mowing down grunts. Using bots as an example, it can kill Devastators in two headshots - if a dropship puts down a bunch of them, it's easy to plink away and take out all of them before they have a chance to do anything without using any stratagems and from a safe distance. See a patrol you know you'll have to take care of? You can use it to snipe out the bot that'll call in a dropship right away - it does in fact one-shot the robot infantry, not sure what you're talking about taking two shots. In fact, the bullet penetrates so shooting into a group you can often kill multiple infantry with a single bullet.

Can the grenade launcher also easily take out multiple grunts at once as well as quickly mow down devastators? Yeah, though you admittedly do need to be closer to do so, and it runs out of ammo much more easily. AMR maybe isn't ideal but if you enjoy sniping you can get quite a lot of use out of it even in Hard difficulty missions.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

AMR is meant for precision taking out of key targets with max scope zoom, rather than mowing down grunts. Using bots as an example, it can kill Devastators in two headshots - if a dropship puts down a bunch of them, it's easy to plink away and take out all of them before they have a chance to do anything without using any stratagems and from a safe distance. See a patrol you know you'll have to take care of? You can use it to snipe out the bot that'll call in a dropship right away - it does in fact one-shot the robot infantry, not sure what you're talking about taking two shots. In fact, the bullet penetrates so shooting into a group you can often kill multiple infantry with a single bullet.

Can the grenade launcher also easily take out multiple grunts at once as well as quickly mow down devastators? Yeah, though you admittedly do need to be closer to do so, and it runs out of ammo much more easily. AMR maybe isn't ideal but if you enjoy sniping you can get quite a lot of use out of it even in Hard difficulty missions.

Yeah, if one decent guy is running an AMR you most likely won't even notice he's there apart from less big robots getting up close and personal. It's really good at making things that aren't a threat stay not a threat, but sucks when they get up close. That's kinda the issue with the AMR in general, it's GOOD in the right hands and absolutely has a role, but it's not a flashy one like the autocannon/GL/flamethrower.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icedude posted:

That doesn't seem to apply for other Eagle strikes. The Bombing Run one is left-to-right based on your direction, I think?

Either that or it follows the Orbital Strike rule of going outwards from the center of the map.

Correct. Eagle smoke strike, bombing run, cluster bombs, all go left to right or right to left. From your point of view. The strafing run is different

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
The orbital walking barrage works the same way as the strafing run doesn't it? I wonder how effective it is with the various upgrades to the destroyer's cannons, though that's got to wait until I finish my hangar upgrades.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Exodee posted:

The orbital walking barrage works the same way as the strafing run doesn't it? I wonder how effective it is with the various upgrades to the destroyer's cannons, though that's got to wait until I finish my hangar upgrades.

Yes.

Strafing run is parallel to the angle of the throw.

Cluster bomb/airstrike/napalm is perpendicular to the throw.

Walking barrage is the same as strafing run but harder to predict due to spread of each salvo.

All of the barrages not the gatling kinda suck rear end right now. The spread is too wide and in general it rarely does much true damage unless you get lucky. If they either tighten the spread or add some more targeting of enemies they would be fun and good. As it is about the only use is to huck them into an outpost, but a 500kg bomb does that same job much better

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WoodrowSkillson posted:

All of the barrages not the gatling kinda suck rear end right now. The spread is too wide and in general it rarely does much true damage unless you get lucky. If they either tighten the spread or add some more targeting of enemies they would be fun and good. As it is about the only use is to huck them into an outpost, but a 500kg bomb does that same job much better

Yeah barrages get teammates killed more often than they adversely affect the enemy in my experience. The range is so wide that even when we're playing it safe and staying far away you still get a shot or two that lands uncomfortably close and nowhere near what you wanted to blow up. Friend of mine bought a barrage last night and immediately shelved it after one mission with it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I think the 380 barrage has a niche in dealing with heavy outposts, or the "destroy airbases" bot missions. They're usually big enough that if you put the ball in the middle, every shot will hit something. But I wouldn't ever bring it just for general purpose and the 120 barrage absolutely sucks

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the trick to the 120/380/walking is volume - if your whole team takes them, they go from kinda stupid teamkilling light shows to incredibly devastating area destroying bombardments

I think they're generally better against bots on higher difficulties where you want to remove an entire heavy bot base without actually fighting said heavy bot base

not useful on their own or if you're just using them solo with pubbies though imo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I fee like Eagle bomb strikes usually goes perpendicular to my facing when I throw it. At least for the cluster bombs splashes.

Eg: if I throw it North of me, the bombs hit a west/east spread

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Exodee posted:

It should definitely be one-shotting infantry with a body shot, so you're probably not quite landing your shots. Hell it can even two-shot hulks from the front if you hit the head twice.

But I used the AMR against bugs for my daily instead and it did surprisingly well there as basically a weaker but more mobile autocannon. And with the faster firerate you can even magdump into a charger's behind to kill it without needing to peel off any armor. Still wouldn't take it over an actual AC but at least it's better than I thought it would be.

It has its place. The one advantage it has over taking an AC is that it doesn't take up a backpack slot, so if you want a Guard Dog, a Shield Gen, Supply Pack, or - Liberty forbid - even help a friend by being a team loader, you can do that with the AMR while still having something that can punch through medium armor, reload on the move, and doesn't need to have its ammo supply carefully rationed. It's a very solid workhorse and honestly one of the better early strategems in the game because it remains relevant/flexible across the entire difficulty spectrum.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I fee like Eagle bomb strikes usually goes perpendicular to my facing when I throw it. At least for the cluster bombs splashes.

Eg: if I throw it North of me, the bombs hit a west/east spread

this correct. once you get the hang of it, they are very predictable

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

victrix posted:

not useful on their own or if you're just using them solo with pubbies though imo
Yeah that's why I was wondering how much of an effect those destroyer upgrades have on them. The shredder ammo one in particular increases AoE damage, which with the walking barrage's more predictable bombing pattern sounds like it could be good but it depends on how much of a difference it makes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

All of the barrages not the gatling kinda suck rear end right now.

Will the Destroyer Rotary Autocannon strike penetrate the armor of something like a charger? Or is it more of a group killer?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nuebot posted:

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

People are talking about how every weapon needs to be brought up to the Breaker, but honestly a lot of weapons needs to be brought up to the Liberator because a good chunk of them don't even make it that far. Would be nice if we had some actual variety instead of "best choice", "ok if you want to use it I guess" and "don't bother, immediately feels awful to use".

It's insanely boring that every mission over lvl 5 is Breaker -> Shield -> Railgun -> Orbital Laser. That sort of monotonous meta is poison to me personally.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Airburst orbital is good: 3 shots, which gives enemies more time to walk into the follow-up shots, and over a smaller area than the eagle cluster. Just uh, be careful when you have the increased orbital scatter modifier.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

johnny park posted:

I think the 380 barrage has a niche in dealing with heavy outposts, or the "destroy airbases" bot missions. They're usually big enough that if you put the ball in the middle, every shot will hit something. But I wouldn't ever bring it just for general purpose and the 120 barrage absolutely sucks

I do love the barrages from a vibe perspective. The 380mm Barrage is just a ton of fun to throw into the middle of a bot base and watch it wreak havoc - it usually takes out a medium/large outpost, but for some reason has issues doing the same thing to a medium/large bug hive. That being said, it feels like they threw a fair amount of troll code into orbital mortar barrages in that if you/teammates are in the possible firing area, it will inexorably drop a round straight on your position which also contributes to them feeling kinda bad.

I did take the L2 upgrade for the cannons, and I feel like having the extra salvo helps the 380mm clear medium/heavy bot outposts much more consistently. If they made the barrages a bit tighter and more consistent, it would help them enormously since like everyone else has pointed out the Eagle is so much more consistent/regular/predictable/reliable in terms of going where you want it to go, and the rearm time on the Eagle is still pretty drat quick by comparison to the orbital barrage cooldowns.

Edit: Like, I don't even know how the devs thought it was remotely balanced that the Eagle gets a 20% reduction to its rearm timer (on top of the timer being shorter than most other cooldowns) when the best every other stratagem gets is a 10% reduction to cooldown. Eagle is just too good, consistent, and has great uptime compared to literally everything else. Orbitals should get reduced cooldown timers across the board (the gatling gets a slightly smaller reduction), imo.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 21, 2024

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The eagles seem to be good and accurate. The ship barrages seem to only work for me on stationary-ish enemies.

I also noticed that some of these beacon things stick to enemies and others don't? Or is it like I need to hit the enemies just right for them to stick?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

People are talking about how every weapon needs to be brought up to the Breaker, but honestly a lot of weapons needs to be brought up to the Liberator because a good chunk of them don't even make it that far. Would be nice if we had some actual variety instead of "best choice", "ok if you want to use it I guess" and "don't bother, immediately feels awful to use".

It's insanely boring that every mission over lvl 5 is Breaker -> Shield -> Railgun -> Orbital Laser. That sort of monotonous meta is poison to me personally.

I can't speak to 7 and up, but at 5-6 things like the 500kg bomb, the orbital rail cannon, the cluster bombs, and the good old eagle airstrike are still very useful. As well as the grenade launcher, the auto cannon, and the various turrets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eagle Airstrike honestly might be the best one in the game. It's fast to call down, recharges quickly, super accurate and predictable, and can reliably close up multiple bug holes with one strike. I think I'll always make room in my kit for the basic rear end airstrike.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah I’m taking eagle air strike and 500kg on most missions. They’re predictable, come out fast, and solve a lot of problems. That AMR order last night got me to appreciate it more too. It doesn’t hit as hard as the railgun per-shot but being able to pop a bunch of approaching medium bots in quick succession is great.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

explosivo posted:

Eagle Airstrike honestly might be the best one in the game. It's fast to call down, recharges quickly, super accurate and predictable, and can reliably close up multiple bug holes with one strike. I think I'll always make room in my kit for the basic rear end airstrike.

same, my plan is to build out my eagle stratagems and whatever buffs I can buy for them. they deploy so fast. every pubbie pretty reliably brings the biggest boom they can muster, but when I want my bombing run I want it now, not in ten seconds

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel what you're saying. I actually tend to prefer the Defender over the Breaker if I'm going up against bots: it's really goddamn accurate and controllable on top of the rounds hitting hard, so it's very good at sweeping through a bot formation at roughly weakpoint level and mowing through them with exceptional uptime and ammo economy. It is honestly my favorite weapon in the game.

Very hard to recommend anything other than the Breaker against bugs, though. It just does so much work that it's hard to pass over it in favor of literally anything else. I might take the Knight if there's a need to have someone carry an SSSD and there are Stalkers on the map - nothing else has the sheer "oh poo poo" damage output against a Stalker than the Knight but goddamn that recoil.

As for stratagems... yeah. I mean, that is basically solo_diver_loadout.txt right there, and for good reason. Survivable, can handle threats both large and small, and has a Get Out Of Jail Free Card in the Orbital Laser. Unless you have a group on comms, it is just much safer to take a self-sufficient loadout like that given the non-zero chance that your teammates are going to gently caress off over on the other side of the map, or none of them bring any kind of anti-large tools to handle things like Breakers/Titans/Hulks/Tanks and fail to stick with you and your somehow more-specialized anti-large loadout.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The regular Eagle Airstrike and the Cluster Bomb rarely leave my loadout. Airstrike will clear a light bot outpost easily and can take care of a medium most of the time with good placement. Plus its far faster than orbital barrages, and you've got to keep moving on higher difficulties.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Been running the orbital gas strike against bugs lately and finding it is great for assaults or patrols with its short cooldown and area denial.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love the Eagle airstrikes right up until I hit a stratagem jammer and wish I had thought to bring an orbital strike or two.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?
You could make an argument that playing at level 5 or 6 in a game with 9 difficulty levels, when you're under 50% of the level cap, is fighting whilst underlevelled?

Autocannon is very good imo and in some ways better than the Railgun. Granted the latter is more useful at higher difficulty levels because you get that precious backpack slot back, but in terms of raw firepower it owns bones - especially if you have someone to help you load.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Durzel posted:

You could make an argument that playing at level 5 or 6 in a game with 9 difficulty levels, when you're under 50% of the level cap, is fighting whilst underlevelled?

Autocannon is very good imo and in some ways better than the Railgun. Granted the latter is more useful at higher difficulty levels because you get that precious backpack slot back, but in terms of raw firepower it owns bones - especially if you have someone to help you load.

It can also close bug holes from a long way out, and if paired with teammates with grenade launchers, railguns, or rockets it also can contribute to murdering chargers.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The railcannon is so satisfying.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly they should have places on the map that prevent certain strategems from being used so that it encourages different loadouts

AA guns for eagles

Shield generators for orbitals

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Orbitals are bad enough right now they they don’t need a specific defense like the eagles have.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

The railcannon is so satisfying.

100% this

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Hihohe posted:

Honestly they should have places on the map that prevent certain strategems from being used so that it encourages different loadouts

AA guns for eagles

This is already a thing on higher level bot missions and probably what CodfishCartographer is referring to. Much like the stalker nests, when these specialized bases pop up they become a priority. The mortar bases are pretty brutal when they spot you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Will honestly admit to being blown away when we activated a SAM site as the secondary objective that it actually functioned and obliterated every attempted bot drop that occurred near it. Nice contrast from today where I loaded and activated an artillery battery and... did not get an artillery strike stratagem (even though you normally do get one).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Bandire posted:

This is already a thing on higher level bot missions and probably what CodfishCartographer is referring to. Much like the stalker nests, when these specialized bases pop up they become a priority.

gently caress didn't even know, havent played enough to get that high

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

In my experience, weapons that require the user to ADS and engage targets at long range all suck.

Engaging targets at long range in this game is generally a bad idea. If you're attacking an objective or a patrol for some reason it's best to get as close as possible before your team opens up. That way you kill the defenders quickly while limiting the area of the engagement. This is good because sprawling fire fights over a large area are bad. They aggro more patrols, which has a snowballing effect when the patrols call for reinforcements. This is what overwhelms you.

Also, weapons that need you to ADS to be good just suck in a game where a strong gust of wind will throw your character to the ground, and anything and everything will cause your aim to flinch.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

johnny park posted:

On paper it sounds like they should, in practice it covers the entire base in explosions for maybe 3 kills and if you get lucky one factory. I havent tried it since i got the orbital damage falloff upgrade but so far I find most Eagle strikes to be much more reliable for clearing out outposts (with the exception of orbital laser)

Hihohe posted:

AA guns for eagles

Shield generators for orbitals

Could be made into one of the local conditions, like strategem scrambling. No fly zone / Ionic interference for No Eagle strats / No Orbital strats, respectively

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Excellent post/username combo :v:

ADS'ing with a few weapons is very strong, like the diligence or Railgun (if nothing else to make sure you're hitting the overcharge and also not blowing yourself up).

I absolutely agree that you don't want in engage in long distance firefights, but there are times (vs bots mostly) where the terrain/environment/general chaos of battle can make it difficult to just see your targets, and having that zoom does help. At least for me. It's also more intuitive with all the other fps games I've played that I don't have to deal with the lag reticle to line up my shots. YMMV.

I don't think there are people who think the dilligence sucks against bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The 380 and 120 SUCK against bugs. Basically need a direct hit to kill a bug hole. It's an entirely different story where you can drop them on a bot base and it'll reliably take out emplaced guns/mines/walls/etc.