Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

She plays a total weirdo who is incapable of interacting with regular people without embarassing herself.

So the publicity campaign was just her staying in character like Kirk Lazarus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It just started again I'm gonna illegally watch it

I don't think I've ever actually watched a camrip

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 21, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Today I watched two movies, both of which star actors who I don't generally link to really good movies, but both movies were really good!

First was A Force of One. A mashup of 70 crime thriller and lots of kung fu. I gotta be honest, I get Chuck Norris's career now. He really sells the fights. He absolutely comes across on screen as a guy who is extremely good at martial arts, and the fights showcase it well. It's got me a little interested in that whole genre of 70s/80s American martial arts movies. That's a genre I don't have much experience, aside from Billy Jack, but now I'm thinking I should investigate further.

After that cam Game Night. I had heard good things about it from multiple people, but I held off because for some reason I have this idea of Jason Bateman movies being generally not very good. But Game Night is great! A scripted comedy that was made this century, who knew? Really funny, very tightly plotted with twists and stuff. the right amount of zany, very few "well that happened" style jokes. A classic good comedy. It's not on the god level of Clue, but it's definitely in that family.

Game Night rules. Helps that it came out at a time when a lot of comedies were getting overstuffed with improv scenes so for a comedy to come out and actually feel directed in a way that other comedies weren't? Was quite the breath of fresh air.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Chat is roasting Madame Web's CPR

Movie's confusing. The gently caress is this dude's deal. He wants to kill potential spiderwomen because he has a vision that they kill him for some reason? No loving clue or allusion about what villainy he's up to

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 21, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

What a piece of poo poo. I don't know why I watch one of these every now and then

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Peccadillo posted:

Movie's confusing. The gently caress is this dude's deal. He wants to kill potential spiderwomen because he has a vision that they kill him for some reason? No loving clue or allusion about what villainy he's up to

Is his name Captain Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitch.tv/madameweb247

This channel has now been streaming Madame Web for over 48 hours at this point without any takedown.

Huh this is still live.

Honestly wonder if Sony saw the bad press the flick was getting and decided to see if letting something like this ride would drum up more quaint interest/attention.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watched five minutes of it and the dialogue is just stunningly bad. All the performances are weird and offputting. It must have been a directorial choice to just have it be that way. Or the rumour the actors were lied to is real and they all chose to sabotage it out of spite.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 21, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

oh I jinxed it, just got taken down. Can say I've watched about a half hour of Madame Web and

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gently caress just when my lunch hour started...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I miss when Spider-Man wasn't burdened by some totemic mythology about spider-spirits. I didn't need a Unified Field Theory of why he fights guys named Puma and Rhino and Scorpion and Dr. Octopus.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is there a movie making thread?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes I get upset with how much Disney has bungled the Muppets. We should be getting a fun, charming, low-key, serviceable Disney+ Muppet movie once a year which parodies some genre or adapts and old book or whatever. It's really not hard.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Peccadillo posted:

So I've seen rumors - no clue whether it is true or just someone creating a rumor to make logic of the mess - that the film originally had the villain targeting Peter Parker's mother, Mary Parker - since she's pregnant with Peter. No clue if it was because he had visions of Peter becoming Spider-man or what the situation was. Anyway, the rumor is that the villain wanted to kill Mary for ~reasons~ and that's why they have to stop him.

If the rumor is true, then I could see them wanted to recut the film to focus instead on the primary characters and try to make it a ~Girlboss~ film. It would make sense then why the villain is 90% ADR dialogue.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Is there a movie making thread?

There's an editing/post production and a cinematography thread in Creative Convention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d love a movie making thread here

I don’t post in those bc they’re probably too technical

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd also love a movie-making thread. I think maybe we had one years and years ago, but it didn't get traction?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

why make movies when you can just wait for someone else to make them for you?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Sometimes I get upset with how much Disney has bungled the Muppets. We should be getting a fun, charming, low-key, serviceable Disney+ Muppet movie once a year which parodies some genre or adapts and old book or whatever. It's really not hard.

Gotta make a universe gotta make it a universe

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's WB that is churning out lovely Tom & Jerry films like this. My son likes them but they are pretty bad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watching London Has Fallen (2019), and within the first 20 minutes the acting and helicopter CGI are both sub-Neil Breen tier. This movie gotta be a money laundering scheme

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jay Rust posted:

why make movies when you can just wait for someone else to make them for you?

They always do it wrong!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blood Boils posted:

They always do it wrong!!

Sounds like you could do with a little thing called 'generative AI'!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

More like degenerative ai amirite

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The gently caress is this guy's problem with Miss Piggy???

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Margo at the Wedding and loved it. Jack Black playing an out-of-type* straight up jackass alongside Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh who are sisters who kinda hate each other. One of those "everyone is awful" kind of flicks, but there was so much quiet humor in it that landed with me. Jack Black's character starts out with a stache and immediately defends it to everyone he meets going "It's a joke". Nicole Kidman delivers the line "It happens to everyone, not just babies. It will happen to you one day too." to her kid with a beautiful bluntness when they have to pull over because someone poo poo themselves.

Her kid, who has some absolutely wonderful scenes depicting what it's like to be ~11 or so years old as a boy and you're in that weird space between childhood and pre-teens. Not quite ready to say goodbye to sleeping next to his mother, but also noticing boobs.

Checked it out because the cast was surprising and was really surprised. Good flick.

*(yea yea he's played plenty of assholes, but usually as a heel, or as someone who learns to be better and not as a loser finace who also kissed a minor. It's like two or ten degrees worse than I think I've ever seen him act as.)

edit: how did the guy who made this make White Noise? Yikes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 22, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

edit: how did the guy who made this make White Noise? Yikes.

Co-wrote Barbie too.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Is his name Captain Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

No they don't turn into the spiderwomen who kill him he dies while they're just regular

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I like Dakota Johnson more than I already did for being an insane person on the publicity tour because if she touted that movie she'd be a Quisling

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

No they don't turn into the spiderwomen who kill him he dies while they're just regular

lmao perfect, a Kyle Reese-less Terminator

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Decided to watch Rollerball tonight for the first time. Incredible loving movie. Norman Jewison kicks rear end. It has everything you want from a sports movie, a gladiator movie, and a dystopia movie. Plus all those great 70s sci fi interiors.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So I've seen rumors - no clue whether it is true or just someone creating a rumor to make logic of the mess - that the film originally had the villain targeting Peter Parker's mother, Mary Parker - since she's pregnant with Peter. No clue if it was because he had visions of Peter becoming Spider-man or what the situation was. Anyway, the rumor is that the villain wanted to kill Mary for ~reasons~ and that's why they have to stop him.

If the rumor is true, then I could see them wanted to recut the film to focus instead on the primary characters and try to make it a ~Girlboss~ film. It would make sense then why the villain is 90% ADR dialogue.

Still to what end? What loving plan did he have that spiders were gonna potentially foil? Being rude to Zozia Mamet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I miss when Spider-Man wasn't burdened by some totemic mythology about spider-spirits. I didn't need a Unified Field Theory of why he fights guys named Puma and Rhino and Scorpion and Dr. Octopus.

Kinda funny given they ultimately both wind that down in a way that redeem the concept a bit and the explanation both isn't that complicated and is a kind of cheeky wink at the fourth wall and the idea of aesthetic contrast. (That Peter Parker being bidden by a radioactive spider giving him superpowers and becoming the totem of the spider are pretty much the same thing described in different ways, and that an animal-themed hero is fittingly opposed by villains who also have animal themes) Heck, this even goes along with Spider-verse and the idea that Spider-man is a manifestation of a concept the universe likes to come up with, even if almost every single elements has variations.

feedmyleg posted:

Kinda ironic that 'straight to video sequels for everything' Eisner probably would actually have the right idea in the age of streaming, put out lots of lower-budget content and let people mess around with the formulas a bit, but instead Disney is in critical indecision and overmanagement and has to turn everything into a Big Event, and strangles smaller projects before or just when they're getting any momentum because they're no longer what's got an executive interested.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Oh I forgot the Native Spidermen of the Amazon part

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, that figures. I mean sheesh, if you're gonna have mystical native Spider-men, you could at least go with a stereotype that makes thematic sense and be Australian.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, that figures. I mean sheesh, if you're gonna have mystical native Spider-men, you could at least go with a stereotype that makes thematic sense and be Australian.

There's that brazilian Wandering spider that makes your dick explode. I'll take a Funnel Web any day

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Might’ve mentioned this but there were two episodes of Peppa Pig that were banned in Australia. One in which Peppa Pig learned that spiders aren't scary and the review board was like "nope don't gently caress with those" and one where Peppa Pig meets a lesbian couple and the review board was like "nope don't gently caress with those"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Did... did Peppa learn that lesbians aren't scary?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'll never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The spider episode is a funny one because it's a very British POV on spiders, while in Australia it's the equivalent of a cartoon telling kids it's okay to climb into the tiger exhibit at the zoo.