Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

St Petersburg -> Moscow?

St Louis -> Nouakchott?

Nanking -> Beijing?

Istanbul -> Ankara?

There are a ton, seems kind of weird to have included the USA at 1790 but not the many others inbetween.

Greece springs to mind. Before Athens, I think its capital was at one point Saloniki and at another time Patras. Or Constantinople, if you want to be cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Greece springs to mind. Before Athens, I think its capital was at one point Saloniki and at another time Patras. Or Constantinople, if you want to be cute.

You’re thinking of nafplion. Athens was essentially an archaeological site with a village attached. It had long ceased to be a city of any importance but was made capital for nationalistic reasons and became a metropolis again in the strength of that

Nafplion while populated had no importance of any kind in antiquity. In the Middle Ages it was sold to Venice which built it into an enormous fortress to protect their holdings and interests in the eastern Mediterranean. The ottomans then expanded those fortifications when they took over so at independence it was essentially the most important city in independent Greece until greeces German Catholic king imported from Bavaria for concert of Europe reasons moved it to Athens to try to make himself as Greek as possible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

The Finnish number has almost 200 landing crafts including these bad boys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_Finnish_Navy_ships

The reason being the Archipelago Sea, where big boats are really loving useless.

e: I posted a photo because most of the rocks are way too small to be seen on a map. But it's a fair big area, and in a strategically important place. There's a reason the only two tactical weapons Finland has are in the hands of coastal artillery (or at least were in the late 1990s):

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 21, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The Saloniki?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Солун

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Former Ottoman Sultanate of South Macedonia

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What the hell is a "tactical weapon"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Nice try, Ivan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ras Het posted:

You pull the trigger and Sun Tzu pops out to distract the other guys while you get your real weapons into position.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Correct.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The rust belt is depression, though?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Los Angeles seems pretty big to me to be fair

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

OddObserver posted:

The rust belt is depression, though?

Counterpoint: Florida.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

Los Angeles seems pretty big to me to be fair
You called it Los Angeles, which automatically disqualifies it. A real mega region can't be spiritually/mentally/materially centralized like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dante may disagree that calling somewhere 'Los Angeles' makes it spiritually centralized or at all material.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll admit it I don't really get the joke here, but I've seen the unedited map posted before, and that supposed Great Lakes megaregion always seemed very dodgy to me. There are hundreds of kilometers of mostly empty space between some of those cities. Even the Blue Banana is more morphologically and sociologically coherent.

I guess it's their concept and they can define it however they like, but to me it implies a mostly contiguous chain/cluster of cities and suburbs. Southern California and the Northeast pretty clearly fit the bill, the rest (other than the 'Great Lakes') I don't know enough about to say whether or not the term is justified. Northern California does seem realistic, for example, since they had the good sense to make it more modestly sized.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Europe is held together with multiple bananas, string, and Finland.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I'll admit it I don't really get the joke here, but I've seen the unedited map posted before, and that supposed Great Lakes megaregion always seemed very dodgy to me. There are hundreds of kilometers of mostly empty space between some of those cities. Even the Blue Banana is more morphologically and sociologically coherent.

I guess it's their concept and they can define it however they like, but to me it implies a mostly contiguous chain/cluster of cities and suburbs. Southern California and the Northeast pretty clearly fit the bill, the rest (other than the 'Great Lakes') I don't know enough about to say whether or not the term is justified. Northern California does seem realistic, for example, since they had the good sense to make it more modestly sized.

belgians just can't understand what the midwest means. sorry but that's just how it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Dante may disagree that calling somewhere 'Los Angeles' makes it spiritually centralized or at all material.

I thought heaven was supposed to be directly above jerusalem, with hell directly below it, and the mountain of purgatory was on the other side because that's where all the rock went that got out of the way when god hit the tombstone piledriver on satan which created the pit of hell?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Core Western Europe gets a banana, and then everyone else wants their own banana. Many such cases.

What even is the Atlantic Axis? Galicia has a population of 2.7 million. At least they didn't call it the Aquamarine Banana.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

belgians just can't understand what the midwest means. sorry but that's just how it is.

Tons of Belgians emigrated to Wisconsin and Michigan. If anything, we get a +3 racial bonus to understanding the Midwest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still no actual banana for scale either.

OwlFancier posted:

I thought heaven was supposed to be directly above jerusalem, with hell directly below it, and the mountain of purgatory was on the other side because that's where all the rock went that got out of the way when god hit the tombstone piledriver on satan which created the pit of hell?
It's both directly above the Earthly Paradise and also attached to a crystal sphere surrounding the whole globe and also a dimensionless empyrean domain unknowable to man.

And still far less stupid than anything that a flat earther has ever come up with.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phlegmish posted:

I'll admit it I don't really get the joke here, but I've seen the unedited map posted before, and that supposed Great Lakes megaregion always seemed very dodgy to me. There are hundreds of kilometers of mostly empty space between some of those cities.

:agreed: You could make an argument for Chicago and Milwaukee, which are at least joined by a more-or-less continuous strand of suburbia along the lake shore. But to get from there to Detroit, or St. Louis, or Cleveland? You're driving through hours of nothing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the first time I've seen "Golden Banana" used to refer to anything other than the infamous strip joint north of Boston and I can't stop giggling.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I got to thinking how "megaregion" is a weirdly specific term, and that using it to mean like emerging megalopolisis kinda goes against the meaning of the base term of "region". A region doesn't need to be connected by a lot of human settlement, it can just be a general area. So I looked it up, and Wikipedia has the history of the term, where apparently it came from the America 2050 report by the Regional Planning Association, which is about thinking and planning about America's future. Who is the Regional Planning Association? Well they are a group who designs and proposes plans involving like civil engineering for this area:

So the one place in the country which most desperately would need people to be thinking hard about making plans and projects that cross multiple state boundaries, and also the area that is in the center of the one genuinely emerging megalopolis.

So coming from the America 2050 report, most of the "megaregions" are prospective rather than descriptive of things that already exist. Which makes me believe more in it; maybe in 30 years the Texas Triangle could become a much more connected area, but for now it's just too empty in the middle. Southern Florida might be further along at becoming a thing, since their cities are so big and so close and they've got an active and expanding high-speed rail system connecting them. "The Gulf Coast" isn't happening. "The Great Lakes" is too big and too distributed, but clearly the New Yorkers didn't want to examine it more closely. Norcal is fairly real from everybody smeared across the bay area and silicon valley, Socal a little less, but I can see it.

But also the term has caught on enough to make other people give their takes on the concept. Here's one that a couple people wrote a book on. The Gulf Coast getting bisected by the Texas Triangle is fun.

https://www.lincolninst.edu/publications/articles/2022-10-promise-of-megaregions-combat-urgent-challenges

National Geographic put out this map, which I don't really know anything about because it's mostly behind a paywall, but it's supposed to have interactive elements.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/interactive-map-us-megaregions

Here's the Georgia Institute of Technology's take. They stick to county borders, and I like how very clearly you can see how a lot of these supposed megaregions aren't united at all and have massive holes in them. At least they give up on the Gulf Coast.

And here's a take by just an Austinite map nerd who for a lot of supposed megaregions, he reduced them just to the greater metropolitan areas, but he still wants to believe in the Great Lakes of Kentucky.

https://philip-kearney.com/?p=197

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The RPA is an old and very well known and respected planning and research org. Those mega regions are obviously prospective but they're backed by census freight flow and commuter shed data.

Edit: the RPA map you posted looks like it's from their second regional plan from the 60s. It's a larger region now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

Core Western Europe gets a banana, and then everyone else wants their own banana. Many such cases.

What even is the Atlantic Axis? Galicia has a population of 2.7 million. At least they didn't call it the Aquamarine Banana.

Tons of Belgians emigrated to Wisconsin and Michigan. If anything, we get a +3 racial bonus to understanding the Midwest.

Wow even people from the Low Countries confuse theselves with Scandinavia

quote:

And here's a take by just an Austinite map nerd who for a lot of supposed megaregions, he reduced them just to the greater metropolitan areas, but he still wants to believe in the Great Lakes of Kentucky.

https://philip-kearney.com/?p=197

The parts of Kentucky that actually have a good deal of population are all really focused towards the Ohio River. Lexington is only an hour from Cincinnati. Louisville is 2 hours from it and Indianapolis and it received immigrants form the same places that usually have a big contribution to the midwests self image (Irish, Germans, and Italians) and half of Cincinnati’s metro area is in Kentucky with some pretty important parts in it (the airport for example)

If the map put the entire state of Kentucky in the Midwest it would be full of poo poo but I would agree with the map.

Covington is part of the Midwest because it’s really part of Cincinnat. Louisville is part of the Midwest based on vibes (rust belt, immigration patterns, crappy winter, permeating depression)

Lexington I would say is south though even though they have Bengals and Reds shot everywhere and you can easily find places serving Cincinnati chili.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 21, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

You're driving through hours of nothing.

compared to nearby areas like iowa or northern pa, 1-90 from cleveland to chicago is positively urban

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I thought Cascadia extended into Canada?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

]Edit: the RPA map you posted looks like it's from their second regional plan from the 60s. It's a larger region now.

They had a cooler seal in their earliest days when they were "The Regional Plan of New York and its Environs" that I wanted to post, but I couldn't find a clean version of it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

In North Carolina, going west from Raleigh on major highways is mostly suburbia all the way to Charlotte (~3 hour drive). I have never gone farther west on the major highways but I can see that stretch being considered part of a megaregion because there are medium sized cities one after the other through that stretch, with a few very small small bands of "driving down the highway with only trees between each exit". Going east from Raleigh all the way to the coast is mostly trees with a few small towns here and there.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

They had a cooler seal in their earliest days when they were "The Regional Plan of New York and its Environs" that I wanted to post, but I couldn't find a clean version of it.

Best I could find, too. Seems it's basically only on their physical early publications so it's only in digital form in PDFs.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I always laugh when people use counties for these things because it makes the delusional wishcasting of the megaregions even more obvious. Ah, yes, Malheur County, OR, with a population density of 3.2 people per square mile, definitely a core part of an important “megaregion.” Or Washoe County, NV, which is technically more dense because of Reno, but for some time included the point in the contiguous US that was the furthest away from a McDonald’s because the vast northern part of it is some of the least densely populated portion of the country.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I say let people have their banana maps.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Should expand the concept. The red grape cluster, the mauve pear, the turquoise pineapple.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In North Carolina, going west from Raleigh on major highways is mostly suburbia all the way to Charlotte (~3 hour drive). I have never gone farther west on the major highways but I can see that stretch being considered part of a megaregion because there are medium sized cities one after the other through that stretch, with a few very small small bands of "driving down the highway with only trees between each exit". Going east from Raleigh all the way to the coast is mostly trees with a few small towns here and there.

I think there's an extra sense of isolation from the way around those parts anywhere that humans aren't forcibly keeping cleared will get filled up by very tall trees growing like weeds, so you can't see the civilization way off in the distance.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's only, what, $10?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's an extra sense of isolation from the way around those parts anywhere that humans aren't forcibly keeping cleared will get filled up by very tall trees growing like weeds, so you can't see the civilization way off in the distance.

It's only, what, $10?

€10

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad that euros, british pounds, and dollars are all finally equivalent. Let's get some others in the club

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm glad that euros, british pounds, and dollars are all finally equivalent. Let's get some others in the club

Remembering fondly the times when dollar was weak relative to euro and I ordered tons of physical media from American Amazon. And then I remember all that physical media now sitting in my storage and all the fondness quickly fades away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well really how much could a banana zone cost?