Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bitterandtwisted posted:

oh rip xjakk :(

I really don't like when the thread becomes hostile

I'll take 100 posters like X JAKK over a single "probe anyone posting non-RLM links! <starts another 10-page derail about Star Wars>" poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

X JAKK posted:

hyperbole isnt helpful to your argument, and it would also help to prove you dont care by simply not talking about me, but you obsessively reply to everything i say like its middle school and i just broke up with you. i think you are weird and have issues, and ill be your friend if you want, but you need to learn to relax about things in general before it starts to take over your real life

And yet you pathetically keep making this thread about yourself when the thread you made for yourself floundered because I'll guess that nobody else cared but you. Instead of taking that as a lesson and just stopped posting where nobody gave you attention and you came back to a captive audience that loathes you.

You are the typical upstart youtuber that claims that you are doing this for yourself or the art or whatever, but that is at odds with your thirst for attention or views. You keep insisting on hawking your poo poo rear end content on people that don't want it and this is why we don't want you around here. Please stop posting about yourself here and go make another thread about it again. But you won't, because you have that smidge of shame that prevents you from posting another thread that makes it evident that nobody cares, but not enough shame to actually admit that you're trying to do the youtuber rigmarole thing.

Either way when you stop being pathetic and begging for watchersattention, people will notice that, and you actually will either see videos through to their completion because you'll actually want to express them, or you grow a business sense and try to market them to people that are actually interested in your poo poo. You're not too cool or smart or awesome or interesting enough to skip the line, and as soon as you recognize that, you will be able to move out of a closed down weed shop and get some actual help.

I'll take the sixer. Hell, make it a day.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 21, 2024

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

that post is way more embarrassing than anything xjakk has done

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not very happy with this outcome. If you're still reading this x jakk, I at least enjoyed you being around and I hope you consider coming back when you cool off.

If you do, I think you should consider making a thread for you though. I think people would post in it and probably be pretty kind, considering how the awful fantasy thread went, and it would be without the baggage that comes from derailing this thread from its usual riveting topics

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

yeah if you're reading this dude, take care

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sitting in the doctor's office and just got a tetanus shot

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Going from one controversial topic to another I see…

Some DS9 fans really love the Vic Fontaine shenanigans episodes. But I’m firmly in the camp of wishing that Star Trek never introduced the holodeck, it’s a lazy excuse to interject C-tier period drama plots into a sci-fi show just to fill airtime and re-use sets/costumes from other productions.

I'm of two minds about the holodeck eps because yes they are usually pointless dumb diversions away from the scifi setting of the show you presumably wanted to watch when you turned on the latest ep of TNG but there's also something so tantalizingly stupid about Worf or Data or or whoever dressing up as a cowboy or something that I can't really say I don't want them to exist

Kind of TNGs enduring appeal for me is that when it's Good it's Good and when it's Bad it's also usually at least entertainingly bad and thus Good in at least some way

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

bitterandtwisted posted:

oh rip xjakk :(

I really don't like when the thread becomes hostile

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
lol at Star Trek Voyager for being lost with limited power but inventing “the holodeck has its own power source that’s literally impossible to adapt to any other part of the ship” so they could still have the captain banging Irish hunks

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The holodeck stuff is usually fine except when they try to make holodeck characters supporting characters on the show, like Vic Fontaine. Hell, somehow Vic Fontaine is a living breathing human in the mirror universe and that makes no loving sense. Voyager did the same thing with that Irish(?) bar they kept running 24/7.

Gutcruncher posted:

lol at Star Trek Voyager for being lost with limited power but inventing “the holodeck has its own power source that’s literally impossible to adapt to any other part of the ship” so they could still have the captain banging Irish hunks

I was typing up my post when you did that, but exactly that. I forgot the holodecks had their own power thing because I was wondering why on Voyager, when every bit of conservation matters, they'd just leave the holodeck running 24/7.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 21, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i hope he comes back too but apart from the ppl posting mad @ him in here there are others reporting him mad for ages. and it's ridiculous, to me, to react that way to him, but at some point it's either actively probe a bunch of people he annoys or ask him to not post about the videos

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd actually have been fine with Tom Paris deciding to re-create the Cheers bar and leave that running 24/7.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm of two minds about the holodeck eps because yes they are usually pointless dumb diversions away from the scifi setting of the show you presumably wanted to watch when you turned on the latest ep of TNG but there's also something so tantalizingly stupid about Worf or Data or or whoever dressing up as a cowboy or something that I can't really say I don't want them to exist

Kind of TNGs enduring appeal for me is that when it's Good it's Good and when it's Bad it's also usually at least entertainingly bad and thus Good in at least some way

Holodeck episodes were the secret salvation of TNG, because it gave the show a way to take advantage of free sets/stages that were available on the Paramount lot without having to rely on the TOS excuse of "oh yeah there just happens to be a 1930s gangster planet out there".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i hope he comes back too but apart from the ppl posting mad @ him in here there are others reporting him mad for ages. and it's ridiculous, to me, to react that way to him, but at some point it's either actively probe a bunch of people he annoys or ask him to not post about the videos

maybe probe the people who keep overreacting i think

or ban them? that's always an option too

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

I'll take 100 posters like X JAKK over a single "probe anyone posting non-RLM links! <starts another 10-page derail about Star Wars>" poster.

I have never started a star wars derail

mystes
May 31, 2006

Star wars doesn't even have rails. Everything just floats.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was always entirely fair to ask that he not post his videos in here and maybe it should have happened sooner. Probably everyone has a better experience if that's its own thread.

I think he was a fine poster outside of that albeit one often posting about cartoons no one in the universe cares about (instead of star trek episodes from 25 years ago that no one in the universe cares about)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What even was y'all's problem. Dude posted a couple of weird videos, mere mention of one not being made sends a bunch of goobers into a rage, and now a hall monitor has to step in because yall can't handle 2 weird videos in 152 page thread often about watching weird videos?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

At the risk of continuing the derail, there's plenty of precedent for telling people to knock it off when they endlessly self-promote themselves. It's extremely obnoxious. If the bulk of his posts in this thread weren't about himself and he only did it once in awhile, or if he occasionally did a video that related to some kind of topic RLM or the thread is discussing, or if he had any talent, maybe it would be more palatable. But why is this thread for some tryhard burnout who lives in an abandoned head shop basement to post his videos about the Beetlejuice animated series or whatever the gently caress he does?

AARD VARKMAN posted:

effortlessly changing the subject, I'm down to the last 10 episodes of DS9 and golly that was a terrible Vic Fontaine episode with the gangsters

I really like Vic Fontaine, and it's crazy how many features he gets despite coming onto the show so late in the run. Plus how can you hate an episode that gives us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jq26BCwDs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

What even was y'all's problem. Dude posted a couple of weird videos, mere mention of one not being made sends a bunch of goobers into a rage, and now a hall monitor has to step in because yall can't handle 2 weird videos in 152 page thread often about watching weird videos?

He’s trying to be the main character in the thread and it’s kinda annoying.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

I really like Vic Fontaine, and it's crazy how many features he gets despite coming onto the show so late in the run. Plus how can you hate an episode that gives us this:

Like if you described it to me in plain English I would imagine it to be incredibly cringe but I just can't hate it

Strength/charm of the actors I suppose

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Crescent Wrench posted:

I did love that part for all its cringe. Honestly it wasn't that bad an episode I guess, I did actually finish it without fastforwarding, unlike some other holodeck episodes

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think a bigger problem than holodeck episodes is time travel episodes where they inevitably go back to the 20th century (which my wife never fails to comment on when it happens, which is, uhh... which is often).

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

mystes posted:

Star wars doesn't even have rails. Everything just floats.

princess leia did plenty of rails

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

bitterandtwisted posted:

yeah if you're reading this dude, take care

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

I think a bigger problem than holodeck episodes is time travel episodes where they inevitably go back to the 20th century (which my wife never fails to comment on when it happens, which is, uhh... which is often).

Thank you for reminding me when Picard went back in time and ran into the punk dude from Star Trek 4.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thank you for reminding me when Picard went back in time and ran into the punk dude from Star Trek 4.

Wait, did that actually happen? I remember someone posting a terrible tweet with some fanfic about it (with the now-old punk talking about "I learned this when some zen dude used it on me"), but surely that wasn't actually in the show...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, did that actually happen? I remember someone posting a terrible tweet with some fanfic about it (with the now-old punk talking about "I learned this when some zen dude used it on me"), but surely that wasn't actually in the show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wDR6heQcU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't one of the TNG season finales a time travel episode where Data is hanging out with Mark Twain and poo poo

Lol I love it

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wasn't one of the TNG season finales a time travel episode where Data is hanging out with Mark Twain and poo poo

Lol I love it

Not only that, but Twain was besties with Guinan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

Not only that, but Twain was besties with Guinan.

Thanks for reminding me about the time in Picard when Guinan screamed and made a Q appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD3h6FcfL_w&t=56s

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 21, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

LanceHunter posted:

Holodeck episodes were the secret salvation of TNG, because it gave the show a way to take advantage of free sets/stages that were available on the Paramount lot without having to rely on the TOS excuse of "oh yeah there just happens to be a 1930s gangster planet out there".

Now that you mention it, The Animated Series also had a holodeck. I wonder if Roddenberry always wanted a holodeck for the “desilu and paramount back lot episodes” but was afraid that at the time “room full of holograms” would be too confusing a concept.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I think I have a bit more hate for Vic Fontaine because he was a new character introduced immediately after one of the best eps of the series, he is forever Poochie to me

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I think I have a bit more hate for Vic Fontaine because he was a new character introduced immediately after one of the best eps of the series, he is forever Poochie to me

"In the Pale Moonlight" is my favorite episode and "His Way" is my wife's favorite episode, so having them back-to-back is really weird whiplash in so many ways.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MarcusSA posted:

He’s trying to be the main character in the thread and it’s kinda annoying.

Was he ever close to being successful???

The bitching, as always, was way worse than the subject of the bitching. The herculean effort involved in scrolling past a poster or using the forbidden art of the ignore function, instead choosing to slap fight a dude with 5 views.

Great work thread, digging up at every opportunity.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

smite the whiners from the fuckin' sky because all of them make themselves the main character by whining about their posting experience in the RLM thread in GBS on Something Awful, it's absolutely ridiculous that this is a real and true thing that happens constantly, that they do this and don't get pantsed immediately is the real crime. See when a video they don't like gets posted, on anything, everytime.

we used to be a society :jokerface:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
jenny posters were more trying to be main characters than xjakk ever was lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

jenny posters were more trying to be main characters than xjakk ever was lol

When Jim from Canada posted her weirdo amusement park video with compliments on twitter was lol because he is RLM

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
More people coming out of the woodwork than actually watched the videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

it's true. People ignored the videos AND didn't feel the need to dress down a dude online because he posted them.