Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

You skipped ahead in the video......

I ain’t watching that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
5 rare games have hit the nintendo switch online, bringing Xbox's "4 games will come out to other consoles" count to 7

Gundam Breaker 4 is not coming to xbox. phil is cooked.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The beauty of it just being a video dump is you can skip past all the stuff that's for loving turbo nerds.

Shin Megami Tesni? Embarrassing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bumhead posted:

The beauty of it just being a video dump is you can skip past all the stuff that's for loving turbo nerds.

stand back folks.......... we've got some Troll Bait

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bumhead posted:

Name/post combo

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bumhead posted:

Get their asses.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MorningMoon posted:

5 rare games have hit the nintendo switch online, bringing Xbox's "4 games will come out to other consoles" count to 7
Those games were all published by Nintendo, same as Banjo-Kazooie which was already on there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We got a Triple Word Anime title folks, best avoid.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

https://x.com/Ian_Fisch/status/1759960809818477054?s=20

This looks cool! Will be coming to Xbox later too.

Make sure to watch the video until at least 00:21s

lmao pro click fellas this looks amazing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like the third multiplatform announcement has snuck out a little early: Hi-Fi Rush hits PS5 on March 18. No sign of the rumored/leaked Switch version.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lazy devs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of developers and laziness where is Neon White

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pee on shite!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

your posts, on this forum!!!!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

Don't a lot of modern Xbox discs still require some kind of online connection to get themselves set up for first run? And don't a lot of Switch games require a download on first run because properly-sized cartridges are crazy expensive to manufacture?

I understand and get the appeal, but having a physical chunk of plastic on your bookshelf is no longer a guarantee that you'll be able to Game Hard after a solar flare or gigantic EMP knocks out all telecommunications activity across the entire globe forever.

acksplode posted:

That's a quote from the guy who came up with the Series S. Preservation -- don't most Series physical games have a last-gen copy on the disc due to smart delivery? Paging univbee. Phil's just saying he'll let let the trend play out and physical die a natural death rather than try to push it along.

So for Switch it's a bit fucky.

Nintendo makes cartridges in 8, 16 and 32gb sizes. It's possible 64gb exists for some Japanese stuff, I'm not sure. There are different pricing tiers between these sizes. I don't think it's relatively very much per-unit, but as these things go it does mean if you're getting a batch of like 200k cartridges made it could mean a $300k increasing in manufacturing costs and the bean counters therefore often make a cart that's only 8gb in size with some limited thing in the game, like only a quick play between two specific teams for a sports game you can't change, and make the remainder require a "patch" download or similar. So a game might be 31gb to download but if you get the cart version, the update takes up like 23 or 24 gigs of storage space. One oddity here is that distribution can vary by region, like Japanese or Southeast Asian carts might be more feature complete on-cart compared to Western version carts (e.g. FFX/X-2 in the West is a 16gb cart that only has FFX, and X-2 requires a one-time voucher code and digital download, whereas in Asia it's a 32gb cart containing both games). This is also I think why most first party Nintendo games are are just under 8 gigs (like 5-6.5 gigs-ish) or just under 16 gigs (like 14ish gigs).

Xbox game discs are, at least so far, exclusively BD-50 discs, I think as a holdover of "since the VCR Xbone can't read UHD discs we don't want people putting in an "Xbox" disc and it getting stuck in there with error messages". They started making games span across 2 or 3 discs, I don't know if there's a manufacturing cost increase on the publisher or not, however most games still ship on one disc and require a large download. I think with the 50gb available on a single disc, you can control how much of an Xbox One, Xbox One X, and Xbox Series X payload there is, and I'm not sure what sort of options there are for overlapping assets between One/Series versions. In most cases I've found, the "Smart Delivery" discs are just Xbox One discs but that also have a Series X license on them, and on a Series X you have to do a full redownload of the game other than maybe 200 megabytes of data.

The way this all shakes out can be a bit weird because there are two different classes of physical collectors.

One class is the "I will be using this console somewhere that has electricity but no or very poor internet options, and I want my disc copy to be a complete version of the game that doesn't have to talk with the internet." The classic example of this would be military personnel who are deployed somewhere like Iraq or Afghanistan, or out at sea somewhere. These people are having a bit of an iffy time, but at least on Switch and Playstation it's not that dire, a little over 70% are feature complete on disc/cart and don't have any really severe bugs. Of the remainder, something like half are "disc tries to be feature complete but it's got some more serious bugs you really want to patch if you can", and the other half are "this is an online-only game".

The other class have internet access, but they want the flexibility offered by a disc or a cart being what controls the "ownership" of the game. So, just as an example, my household has three members, and each has their own Nintendo Switch. Getting games on cart is waaaay easier to deal with in the sense that there's a very clear "the cartridge is the game" concept and there's no real fuckery with having to buy multiple digital copies or do weird shenanigans with account activations and deactivations. Similarly, some people like being able to lend a disc to friends or do trades of some form, be able to flip a poo poo game on eBay or marketplace, stuff like that. For these people, physical media does still matter.

For preservationists, that 2nd class does still have some options with some consoles, for example on Playstation and I think Xbox there isn't that much protection on external USB drives, so you can have a "full install" of a game there, do a bit-level raw image of the external drive, restore that to another drive and that would still work with a disc copy. So, if you humor me and pretend that P.T. was offered on a "download required" disc at some point, and that all Playstation services were permanently shut down, people could still keep a "restore this to a USB drive" backup on archive.org or something, and that external drive once restored as many times as you want would have a copy of the game that was playable if you also had a disc to go along with it. If 256gb USB drives were a little more cost-effective (like $10 each or some such) you could keep a "current" updated version of individual games on individual USB keys and they'd be playable with either a digital license or disc (although for Series and PS5 games you'd have to copy them to internal storage before they were playable).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John F Bennett posted:

https://x.com/Ian_Fisch/status/1759960809818477054?s=20

This looks cool! Will be coming to Xbox later too.

Make sure to watch the video until at least 00:21s

holy poo poo, that's incredible.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

In case anyone missed it btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRA6r3iG7lI

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Will PS5 owners have to actually pay for hi fi rush, like with real money? :wookie:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The Nintendo Direct had a few interesting things. Downloaded the demos to Unicorn Overlord and the new Contra to try out later. The Star Wars Battlefront collection is cool too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02...hoto_lrn_2.21.1

It's official. No SoT or Hi-Fi for Switch. Get owned.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

whack

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I draw the line at Xbox porting Xbox games to Xbox

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

American McGay posted:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02...hoto_lrn_2.21.1

It's official. No SoT or Hi-Fi for Switch. Get owned.

I'm not really surprised. They'd probably run like poo poo, especially Hi-Fi Rush.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

External Organs posted:

I'm not really surprised. They'd probably run like poo poo, especially Hi-Fi Rush.

Switch couldn't handle Hi-Fi Rush? I'm kind of surprised.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wouldn't be shocked if it was a locked 30 and they're just shelving it instead.

Hope Master Chief Collection is a switch 2 launch title

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Might be hard to get it to run smoothly, which is kind of important for a rhythm based game.

Kinda curious how Grounded is on Switch but Sea of Thieves isn't. Those seem like pretty similar experiences from the hardware intensity standpoint.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the water in sot is too much for the switch is what TimDog was saying on hhis stream last night

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

shadow of the
the

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
For anyone who likes slay the spire and other deck builder games you should absolutely try Balatro

A shame it's not on GP (yet) would be a perfect addition but worth the cost of entry regardless imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

balatro is unreal

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hanyolo posted:

For anyone who likes slay the spire and other deck builder games you should absolutely try Balatro

A shame it's not on GP (yet) would be a perfect addition but worth the cost of entry regardless imo

Is it good with a controller?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Is it good with a controller?

yep, works perfectly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i had like 40 hours in the demo alone, it's sick

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Balatro is good but the balance feels really off to me. There just doesn't seem to be a ton of reason to go for more difficult/complex hands which require a way bigger investment and seemingly rarer cards, while minmaxing Pair requires genuinely no effort at all. Maybe I just haven't unlocked the right Jokers but it really just feels like there's not enough reward for the harder hands.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

hmm look at this pal

smells good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cryin jim begging xbox for some games. sad!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

cryin jim begging xbox for some games. sad!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lmao, can't believe Kingdom Come was just announced for Switch.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Xbox releasing games on PlayStation and switch is the 9/11 of gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

In the future, everything will be Xbox.