Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Unless it involves straps and rods, a knee brace isn't going to do much in bjj other than serve as a reminder. Strapping with tape is better but a lot less convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
The German ones have a model with some hard brace but the better it works the less you will want to grapple wearing it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

baurfiend ones with the floppy gel rails will give you some (read: any) stability and feel good to roll with still. those anaconda brand ones that I keep getting ads for on social media seem like hot trash

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

baurfiend ones with the floppy gel rails will give you some (read: any) stability and feel good to roll with still. those anaconda brand ones that I keep getting ads for on social media seem like hot trash

They dont provide left right stabilty but the knee pad is good, they provide compression, and they do not slide at all. I've had mine for three months now, would buy again if only because I can hit drop seoi's and shots without pain.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 21, 2024

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I was lying awake last night thinking about jiu jitsu and I realized that like, everything I do that kinda works is something I can do without moving my body very fast. I can move my arms kinda fast sometimes, or maybe my legs a little bit. Like changing grips, or catching a leg for half guard. But the sweeps and passes that work for me work without having to hurry. It's not quite slow motion but it's like, rarely do I move with any particular urgency.

There are a small number of things that don't work for me as well as I feel they should, and I think the limiting factor is the speed I'm moving at.

I can't decide if I am unable to muster the willpower to try to move fast, or if I do try to move fast and I'm just actually physically slow.

I feel like fully 30% of my rolls go in this exact sequence:
1) I give up my back to a smallfast
2) I escape back control
3) They try to mount me and I catch a leg for half guard
4) Dogfight, I'm on top
5) Sit there for 3 minutes trying to find a submission where I don't have to give up top position

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can you add:

6) progress to technical mount, where victory is assured

I've had people bridge me out of technical mount, but I've had exceedingly few people just, like, hang out in it and not get tapped. Even when they escape they seem pretty desperate, it's a really dominant position if you can get it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm not sure I know the difference between technical mount and S mount but I do often go into something resembling that. Usually what happens is if someone tries to bridge out of my mount I give them the space to move but bring my leg up so I'm in S mount, and then usually back control via giftwrap. Occasionally, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll go right for the juji from there but usually it's something where I'm just stopping along the way to back control.

I don't think I ever just hang out there and look for submissions. But maybe that's a good idea.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As far as I know they're the same thing. You can choke, arm bar, and do Americanas and Kimuras from there, all without abandoning the position. And even if they get super tight and won't give you anything, you're just sitting right on their neck and shoulders the whole time, while they're miserable.

Edit: hmmm I'm not immediately finding youtube videos showing what I'm thinking of so either my professor is a fraud or she's taught some less common stuff? Y'all know what I'm talking about, right? You just get into a very tight, controlling s mount and you don't have to leave the top position to finish all kinds of things. The arm bar can either hook under your arm pit and hardly move at all or you can step over the head but still not lay back.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2024

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hm, you know that sounds pretty good. I'll look into some attacks from there. It's a position I get to enough that I should learn to take advantage of it.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

The terminology varies. Here technical mount is when bot guy is on their side and your foot replaces your knee on the hip, S mount is a high mount around the shoulders and perpendicular. The big difference is the position of the foot, either backheeling on hip or up at head by your own knee. Some gyms call the first one an S mount, idk what they call the second one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Whenever I go there I'm foot flat on the ground by their hip.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't find any YouTube video that isn't in some way a leeeetle different than how I've been taught to do it:

1. In mount, bring one knee high up to the opponent’s shoulder, which brings their arm on that side up (assuming the opponent’s arms began the sequence crossed and tight to the body)

2. Turn sideways, bringing that high knee around the shoulder to the ear

a. Trap that arm against your stomach, so that you can roll them up on their side

b. Pull up on the far arm to keep them from scooping your far leg because you’re about to

c. Draw the far side leg under far side shoulder

i. You want to make sure to keep pressure on them with your hamstring while doing this, you want this leg as low as possible, which means stretching it out away from you.
(this is the most vulnerable part of the transition and seems to take the most practice

3. You’ll probably now be almost perpendicular, in an s mount, with your opponent’s crossed arms elevated by your legs. One knee is close to the opponent’s head on the near side, and the other foot is under their far shoulder.

4. Turn even more perpendicular, and use this movement to make your knee and the heel of the far foot practically touch, elevating your opponent’s arms even more and filling the space.

5. Your opponent should now be completely on their side, with the arms raised, and you’re sitting on their shoulders in an S mount, your knee and heel touching. Your opponent can’t really escape in any way other than bridging, and they have no leverage to stop various locks or lapel chokes.

Mistakes I see people make with this transition would be not turning the opponent sideways by scooping and trapping the arm, not keeping the leg low and tight as it’s brought around on the far side, and not continuing to adjust with several smaller turns as necessary until you’re absolutely, 100%, tight and perpendicular. A lot of the youtube videos I’m seeing are either leaving the opponent’s back on the mat or not turning enough, or not being tight enough with the legs, and all three of those things allow the opponent to squirm out the back door.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Yeah that's s mount and he's talking technical mount

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Defenestrategy posted:

They dont provide left right stabilty but the knee pad is good, they provide compression, and they do not slide at all. I've had mine for three months now, would buy again if only because I can hit drop seoi's and shots without pain.

I need left right stability cause I guess I have a hypermobile kneecap :( Guess I'll see how rolling with the knee brace the doc gave me feels. (they said it was okay to train)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I ended up injuring someone today and I feel loving awful :(

The dude told me to be careful with his leg. At one point I wrestled up from a seated guard position and couldnt get the inside leg trip because his legs were too close together so I decided to bring his knees together and take him down. Now mind you, I've done this takedown for years now, its one of my favorites, performed it on kids, I even taught it in class there at one point. Never have I had an incident, not once. But this guys knee made a horrible tearing sound when I brought them together. He looked like he wanted to kill me after it :( Come to find out that hes injured that knee 9 times before and hasnt had surgery on it. I helped him as much as I could but my god I was not expecting that at all.

Ultimately I feel your injuries are your responsibility. If you have an injury stay off the mat until its healed. But on the flip side of the coin, its not like I kneebaredhim or heelhooked him, but I feel I might need to reevaluate that takedown on someone that says their leg might not be 100%

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Come to find out that hes injured that knee 9 times before and hasnt had surgery on it.

that’s 100% a him problem. If you’ve got a knee that’s so delicate someone doing basic takedown without even deliberately attacking the knee can injure it then it’s likely you shouldn’t be rolling.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

that’s 100% a him problem. If you’ve got a knee that’s so delicate someone doing basic takedown without even deliberately attacking the knee can injure it then it’s likely you shouldn’t be rolling.

Without seeing the takedown, I'm likely to lean this way. If you have a repeatedly jacked up knee, you're obviously doing something wrong.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

We had some discussions about the knee afterwards because ive been there and done that. Basically any injury in the knee like a miniscus dislocation is bound to happen more frequently the next time because ligaments will loosen with injuries like that. I know because this happened to me until I had a lateral release done. I dont know his situation though with healthcare but if its not corrected its bound to get injured again and again and maybe not even in the gym but slipping on some ice or something. It still doesnt make me feel any less lovely.

Defenestrategy posted:

Without seeing the takedown, I'm likely to lean this way. If you have a repeatedly jacked up knee, you're obviously doing something wrong.

Ill find a video and post it.

edit: its basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Wx3N44-CU

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 21, 2024

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

still doesnt make me feel any less lovely.

Ill find a video and post it.

I meant without seeing what happened specifically, but yea goondolences.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Technical mount is when you’ve got mount and somebody has tried to bridge you over so you turn your body to stay on top. Your foot is usually in front of their hips.

In S-mount your front leg has picked their arm off the floor. It’s a more dominant position but it’s hard to get there, you usually slide into it when you’re chaining attacks from mount and they’re doing a good job of defending.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I rolled with a guy once who had a broken nose, and we agreed to take it easy (?). First thing he does is sit down and play shin to shin guard, which if you don't realise is basically hugging the leg with his face right next to it. Didn't take much movement on my part to accidently bump the problem area. Of course I felt bad because it was basically a lack of care on my part, but people have to take care of themselves too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

I rolled with a guy once who had a broken nose, and we agreed to take it easy (?). First thing he does is sit down and play shin to shin guard, which if you don't realise is basically hugging the leg with his face right next to it. Didn't take much movement on my part to accidently bump the problem area. Of course I felt bad because it was basically a lack of care on my part, but people have to take care of themselves too.

Last night, I was thinking of all the positions where your knee gets bent or manipulated and Im not sure I would ever roll with this dude again. One example is the lumberjack sweep, or basically any takedown where there is weight concentrated on one leg. If your knee is that messed up, you need to get it fixed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah we push the leg sideways constantly; it's only considered wrong if it's "too much", mostly by the foot being stuck on the mat. This is/was a source of constant confusion for me in Judo, they're always urging me to do things I worry will apply sideways force on the leg and reassuring me it'll be OK.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
In my experience it doesn't injure someone until it does.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"I've got this problem, please be careful with my [x]" is fine but the injured person needs to also modify what they're doing to keep the affected area safe. If dude had a knee problem he probably shouldn't be doing any kind of standup work at the very least, right? You can't go into it like "I'm gonna do all my normal stuff but you're not allowed to touch my legs at all."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

"I've got this problem, please be careful with my [x]" is fine but the injured person needs to also modify what they're doing to keep the affected area safe. If dude had a knee problem he probably shouldn't be doing any kind of standup work at the very least, right? You can't go into it like "I'm gonna do all my normal stuff but you're not allowed to touch my legs at all."

Rule 1) Protect yourself.
Rule 2) Protect your partner.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
IMO when you say "hey I'm a little hurt, please watch out for X" you're implicitly also saying "let's have a lighter and slower roll because we're both going to be devoting mental bandwidth to my knee/elbow/shoulder." The problem I have is with people that say that then roll like it's a tournament.

When I roll with a "please watch out for" person I'm intentionally going slower and lighter so that I can do that; if they sudden dive into a sub I'm going to feel like I'm being misused. Some people seem to think it means "just don't do a sub that targets that spot and we'll roll like normal otherwise" ,but often it's all the unintended jostling and rough housing of a "real" roll that'll aggravate the injury.

I had a hurt thumb for the last month and for the worst couple weeks I had to have that kind of talk and accept that kind of roll with my partners, and a lot of it was just "time on the mat" where my number one priority was protecting my own thumb and I really didn't care if, for example, my opponent progressed from side control to mount to a successful choke while I was busy keeping my thumb out of the way. My thumb wasn't re injured, I healed, and still got in some kind of rolls.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I ended up injuring someone today and I feel loving awful :(

The dude told me to be careful with his leg. At one point I wrestled up from a seated guard position and couldnt get the inside leg trip because his legs were too close together so I decided to bring his knees together and take him down. Now mind you, I've done this takedown for years now, its one of my favorites, performed it on kids, I even taught it in class there at one point. Never have I had an incident, not once. But this guys knee made a horrible tearing sound when I brought them together. He looked like he wanted to kill me after it :( Come to find out that hes injured that knee 9 times before and hasnt had surgery on it. I helped him as much as I could but my god I was not expecting that at all.

Ultimately I feel your injuries are your responsibility. If you have an injury stay off the mat until its healed. But on the flip side of the coin, its not like I kneebaredhim or heelhooked him, but I feel I might need to reevaluate that takedown on someone that says their leg might not be 100%

I've hit this from shin-to-shin guard literally thousands of times at a gym that's almost entirely Masters-age folks with various nagging injuries *because* it's one of the most reliably safe takedowns I know of. Like you were saying, if that was too much for the guy's knee, it's a wonder he didn't blow it out the first time someone tried a basic weave pass on him.

starkebn posted:

I don't usually play shin-to-shin with newer white belts because of this possibility, but if I have to for line drills or whatever, I'll use the free hand to protect my face until I get something started. It also does a good job of defending guillotines, which are the biggest risk from that position, IMO.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I don’t even tell people if I have something I’m nursing anymore, instead I just adjust how I roll and either avoid positions or give up positions if I am in a spot where whatever injury might be compromised. Or tap. That’s always an option.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

I don’t even tell people if I have something I’m nursing anymore, instead I just adjust how I roll and either avoid positions or give up positions if I am in a spot where whatever injury might be compromised. Or tap. That’s always an option.

Yea, if I have an injury that I can't protect and work around on my own, I'd stay off the mats during open rolling.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I suppose one could also do specific training instead of completely free rolling. If there isn't any specifics you feel you could do safely, then stay off the mats.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

I've hit this from shin-to-shin guard literally thousands of times at a gym that's almost entirely Masters-age folks with various nagging injuries *because* it's one of the most reliably safe takedowns I know of. Like you were saying, if that was too much for the guy's knee, it's a wonder he didn't blow it out the first time someone tried a basic weave pass on him.

Last gym I was at, it was taught to the kids because of the safety factor.

What I hate about this situation is that now it becomes a "look who injured who" thing in the gym. It doesnt matter that someone had a pre existing condition that lead to their injury, the person doing the "injuring" is going to be perceived as "watch out rolling with that dude". I loving hate being in that position as I am extremly safe and know the value of my training partners. But now I will blacklist that person in the future, even if they say they are fine, because who the gently caress really knows?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't say things like "I got a bad shoulder, be careful" -- I'll be more specific and say "go slow with kimuras and americanas", "no can openers", stuff like that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Last gym I was at, it was taught to the kids because of the safety factor.

What I hate about this situation is that now it becomes a "look who injured who" thing in the gym. It doesnt matter that someone had a pre existing condition that lead to their injury, the person doing the "injuring" is going to be perceived as "watch out rolling with that dude". I loving hate being in that position as I am extremly safe and know the value of my training partners. But now I will blacklist that person in the future, even if they say they are fine, because who the gently caress really knows?

Are you like very new to your gym or something? If you've been training someplace a while, esp. as an advanced belt, then your level of care vs recklessness would be known to most gym members.

I broke a guy's rib once as a white belt. That felt p bad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
People get hurt sometimes, it's a thing that happens, and I've never been at a gym where anyone blamed the training partner unless it's a real pattern

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Are you like very new to your gym or something? If you've been training someplace a while, esp. as an advanced belt, then your level of care vs recklessness would be known to most gym members.

I'm like 9 months in (since June), so not entirely new.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZXufhCtYA

Honestly, this looks boring and the grappling world can do better.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Despite practicing breakfalls probably thousands of times, I posted to catch myself twice when we were drilling double legs. I realized right as it happened and thought to myself "whoops, well I'm glad I didn't hurt my shoulder or elbow, I know posting like that caries an injury risk!"

Then I woke up this morning, and my shoulder is mad at me. Not too bad, I've hurt worse, but I'm very frustrated about that instinct. I guess I gotta drill Ukemi more. I've got thick puzzle mats, I could be doing basic falls every day and zempo kaiten rolling breakfalls before BJJ class since I always get there early.

I feel like it will never be fully ingrained if I'm not practicing it regularly. I've felt that way for a while, and it's weird to me when people say "I'm glad I took a few judo classes as a kid and learned to fall, it would come in handy if I ever slip on ice." The confidence that proper breakfall technique will be there for you when you need it seems like it could be misplaced. I dunno.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Randori'ed at the judo school today, for context I do three days at my BJJ gym and one day at the judo school, so I don't really get a ton of randori time with the judo guys because they tend to play during other classes and times so in a month I might get thirty minutes to an hour with them. It always amuses me how much stamina these dudes have and how hard they play during sparring. I haven't felt nearly so gassed between rounds since I was training Muay Thai. Hit the most beautiful Tsubame gaeshi against a kosoto today though, two black belts complimented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Despite practicing breakfalls probably thousands of times, I posted to catch myself twice when we were drilling double legs. I realized right as it happened and thought to myself "whoops, well I'm glad I didn't hurt my shoulder or elbow, I know posting like that caries an injury risk!"

Then I woke up this morning, and my shoulder is mad at me. Not too bad, I've hurt worse, but I'm very frustrated about that instinct. I guess I gotta drill Ukemi more. I've got thick puzzle mats, I could be doing basic falls every day and zempo kaiten rolling breakfalls before BJJ class since I always get there early.

I feel like it will never be fully ingrained if I'm not practicing it regularly. I've felt that way for a while, and it's weird to me when people say "I'm glad I took a few judo classes as a kid and learned to fall, it would come in handy if I ever slip on ice." The confidence that proper breakfall technique will be there for you when you need it seems like it could be misplaced. I dunno.

It all depends on when you beat breakfalls into your CNS and for how long.

I've had multiple times where I had to breakfall IRL or get wrecked, and I brokefall every time. I had a minor slip out of my car the other day and posted from about a 6 inch hight. :shrug:

I started breakfalling at 18 years old, and did it on the regular - 2x a week for about 6 years. I think I did the rough math, and it's about 20k breakfalls, give or take.