Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hey remember this dipshit?
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptcy-law/sandy-hook-families-vote-to-liquidate-alex-jones-bankrupt-estate

quote:

Jones’ creditors overwhelmingly support liquidation plan
Families asked to vote on competing bankruptcy proposals
The families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims voted overwhelmingly in favor of a plan to wrap up Alex Jones’ bankruptcy proceedings by liquidating the right wing talk show host’s assets.

Jones’ general unsecured creditors—comprised mostly of Sandy Hook families holding about $1.5 billion in defamation judgments against the famed conspiracy theorist—voted 100% in favor of a Chapter 11 plan that would methodically liquidate and redistribute his property and cash, while preserving potential legal actions against parties affiliated with Jones and his Infowars program.

An official committee appointed to represent Jones’ unsecured creditors notified the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas on Feb. 16 that of 23 liquidation plan ballots distributed to creditors, it received 21 back—all supporting the committee’s liquidation proposal.

The vote indicates the creditors’ preference over a competing plan submitted by Jones that would allow him to reorganize by preserving parts of his media empire and paying the group at least $5.5 million a year over 10 years. His plan would provide additional creditor recoveries out of disposable income from Jones’ bankrupt Infowars parent company, portions of Jones’ personal income, and the proceeds from selling various personal assets.
:lol: gently caress Alex Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yeah gently caress Alex Jones but how does this differ from the other plan he suggested? Doesn't Jones still get like 400,000 per year.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
L I Q U I D A T E

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hollismason posted:

Yeah gently caress Alex Jones but how does this differ from the other plan he suggested? Doesn't Jones still get like 400,000 per year.

AIUI this would let them liquidate all the poo poo he has, but since the judgment is non-dischargeable, he would still owe them whatever was left after the fire sale. presumably his income could be garnished against that to whatever degree the court settles on

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, for starters, they would be liquidating the program he used to hurt them and others. They're making a statement that they'd prefer info wars burned to the ground rather than keep it going to increase the amount of damages they could recover.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wonder if this is what he was bitching about on the last episode of Knowledge Fight. He was out of the studio for a few days, they had lovely co-hosts then when he came back he was whining about his bankruptcy proceedings and being unfairly attacked.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

bird food bathtub posted:

Wonder if this is what he was bitching about on the last episode of Knowledge Fight. He was out of the studio for a few days, they had lovely co-hosts then when he came back he was whining about his bankruptcy proceedings and being unfairly attacked.

seems pretty open and shut to me.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Didn't he list his cat as a financial asset so he could use 'they're coming after my daughter's cat' as a way to garner sympathy?

How much is his cat? I want to buy the cat.

yook fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 21, 2024

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

And there it is.

Remember how many people were doomerism in how Alex would never pay? Good times.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Remember how many people were doomerism in how Alex would never pay? Good times.

Nope, it's weird you do though.

Did you want applause or something?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And there it is.

Awww every fairytale has a happy ending!

Okay so this wasn't exactly a fairtale, but at least it had a happy ending, unlike all those traditional fairtales where everyone always dies horribly and what not.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And there it is.

Doomers gonna doom. It's not their fault they were born hosed up, even the haters and losers.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm glad infowars is going to get destroyed

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I will allow it.

I think it's way more weird to be a crazy cynical doomer when Alex objectively got loving hosed and it was just a matter of time until he started shelling out cash and I'm here to laugh about Alex's consequences and that extreme level of cynicism.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 21, 2024

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

yook posted:

Didn't he list his cat as a financial asset so he could use 'they're coming after my daughter's cat' as a way to garner sympathy?

How much is his cat? I want to buy the cat.

It's a fancy cat that he valued at like $2,500. I think he had to list it simply because of the value. It it was a cat from a shelter or something it probably wouldn't be on the list.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I will allow it.

I think it's way more weird to be a crazy cynical doomer when Alex objectively got loving hosed and it was just a matter of time until he started shelling out cash and I'm here to laugh about Alex and that extreme level of cynicism.

I don't think the cynicism is unwarranted. Look at the positively absurd, just flat-out comical, truly incomprehensible lengths Jones had to reach, for YEARS to get this outcome. Then look at every other rich person in the country that isn't a completely unhinged lunatic bellowing in rage that actually listens to their lawyers. Jones would be the dictionary definition of the exception that proves the rule.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Even an animal that costs thousands shouldn't be considered as something the bank can seize. But in this case, you'd be freeing it from Alex Jones, so...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was looking at the bankruptcy stuff, and Andino Reynal is an attorney for the debtor now and made over $200k last year.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Nope, it's weird you do though.

This was oddly aggressive and assholish for no reason.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

Even an animal that costs thousands shouldn't be considered as something the bank can seize. But in this case, you'd be freeing it from Alex Jones, so...

That would end up getting abused by the wealthy who start dodging consequences by stashing all their money in exotic pets or something. Or just like listing their thousands of beef cattle as pets.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lord Harbor posted:

That would end up getting abused by the wealthy who start dodging consequences by stashing all their money in exotic pets or something. Or just like listing their thousands of beef cattle as pets.

Putting all my money in wagyu and then committing unlimited defamation

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Jones' plan would have paid the families $55 million or so. The families' plan of "liquidate and sell pretty much all his poo poo and clean out his bank accounts" is expected to pay them at least $85 million (a number that's much closer to his estimated net worth).

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was looking at the bankruptcy stuff, and Andino Reynal is an attorney for the debtor now and made over $200k last year.

Wait, Reynal exposed his private phone backups to the opposition in the Texas case out of sheer rudeness AND HE STILL GOT WORK FROM JONES?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
hey they went with my plan, cool

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for the very good news!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Quinntan posted:

Wait, Reynal exposed his private phone backups to the opposition in the Texas case out of sheer rudeness AND HE STILL GOT WORK FROM JONES?

I imagine not many other lawyers are answering Jones's phone calls these days.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I need a side by side livestream of Jones' face and the auction proceedings where he blubbers every time something expensive goes to a cat lady from Buda for pennies on the dollar.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the creditor plan has only been accepted by creditors. it hasn't yet been confirmed by the court, which I understand there would be a hearing in march. presumably Jones will oppose the creditor plan.

it's also not clear to me what the status of Jones' competing plan is, but I assume it was rejected by creditors and i suspect it's not viable to try to cram it down on them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Twibbit posted:

I imagine not many other lawyers are answering Jones's phone calls these days.

Definitely not his texts :twisted:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And there it is.

He still hasn't paid anything yet, and you have a lot more faith in the speed of our legal system against the rich than you probably should.

Call me cynical, but I'll celebrate when it actually starts to happen.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

important thing to note: appealing the confirmation of a plan does not stay implementing the plan. you separately need to argue for, and get, a stay.

in fact, bankruptcy courts are notorious for allowing plans to be implemented immediately, before anyone can get a stay, so that people can say "sorry you're too late, the appeal is moot" though i doubt that happens here

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

listening to today's Knowledge Fight, and Alex is drunk as gently caress and clearly depressed and its great

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

If all his poo poo gets liquidated, and Elon proceeds to build him a broadcasting studio in X HQ, can the court then liquidate all of THAT poo poo too?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scam Likely posted:

If all his poo poo gets liquidated, and Elon proceeds to build him a broadcasting studio in X HQ, can the court then liquidate all of THAT poo poo too?

I'm looking forward to the era of Knowledge Fight where Alex just does Twitter Spaces blackout drunk and begging Elon to come on and save him.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lazyfire posted:

I'm looking forward to the era of Knowledge Fight where Alex just does Twitter Spaces blackout drunk and begging Elon to come on and save him.

Him sucking up to the "Definitely not Elon Musk ;)" guy during his interview with David Icke was pathetic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

Him sucking up to the "Definitely not Elon Musk ;)" guy during his interview with David Icke was pathetic.

The best part is that that guy was proven to be not musk. So Jones was sucking up to a mere musk fanboy and not an actual multi-billionaire

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

The best part is that that guy was proven to be not musk. So Jones was sucking up to a mere musk fanboy and not an actual multi-billionaire

incorrect, that guy is definitely elon musk

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

important thing to note: appealing the confirmation of a plan does not stay implementing the plan. you separately need to argue for, and get, a stay.

in fact, bankruptcy courts are notorious for allowing plans to be implemented immediately, before anyone can get a stay, so that people can say "sorry you're too late, the appeal is moot" though i doubt that happens here

What happens to the non-dischargeable judgments following liquidation? Do they get to hold the balance over Jones' head?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

FoolyCharged posted:

The BEST best part was that AJ sucked up to that dork in front of David Ike who had annoyed AJ by implying that he was a Musk bootlicker who doesn’t hold him accountable. Real Elon or not, Alex proved Ike’s point in a very public way :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I will buy the Infowars cat.