Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Review embargo lifts tomorrow. Wonder if any of the reviews mention the graphical issues.

Maybe in passing. This game will receive massive, fawning praise from every single outlet as a landmark in gaming, as is typical for a release of this hype and scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Of course. FF16 got a pass too.

I’m definitely happy I didn’t preorder this. Gonna wait and see how the performance issues shake out before I drop $105 CAD on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna buy it and play it day one because I don't give a gently caress

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm gonna buy it and play it day one because I don't give a gently caress

I’m an insane person and bought both the Deluxe and digital because I wanna be playing this immediately and not wait on a delivery.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The Graphic issues aren't gonna be fixed and I was already skeptical that they were gonna be fixed with this demo patch. Don't get your hopes up it'll be fixed on release.

I'm not having an issue with the graphics so i'm pretty much sold now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I can tolerate the softness. It's not as bad as 16's horrible hacky performance mode.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if they got around to giving you options for it, but 16's quality mode was the first time I understood people hating motion blur because it was nuts whenever the camera moved.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

All we've seen so far in the demos are mountains and/or wastelands so the brown and gray everywhere isn't helping. I might actually try and tolerate the graphics mode just because the smearing on performance mode is kinda bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZeeBoi posted:

Think I’ll not play this open world section, I’d rather do it in the full game rather than have to go through any of it again.

But yeah the performance mode still looks bad even with this update that supposedly fixed it.

This section is different from the main game, apparently, so there will be some overlap but we don’t know how much. Also I think finishing the demo gives you something in the main game?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I think you get the rewards even if you only play the nibelheim demo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

D.Fuzzbot posted:

The Graphic issues aren't gonna be fixed and I was already skeptical that they were gonna be fixed with this demo patch. Don't get your hopes up it'll be fixed on release.

I'm not having an issue with the graphics so i'm pretty much sold now.

I was basically expecting there to not be much improvement as well.

I kinda wonder if the developers of games like this and FF16 just have a very different idea of what "good graphics" even is. Like maybe they think being blurry is better than being able to see less detail or something.

Edit: If at all possible, I recommend people sit farther from the screen. It helps immensely with making the blurriness less noticeable. I can ignore it pretty easily from around 12-13 feet away, while from 5 feet it's very distracting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 21, 2024

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This section is different from the main game, apparently, so there will be some overlap but we don’t know how much. Also I think finishing the demo gives you something in the main game?

“Different” meaning they blocked off areas and (probably) changed enemy/item placement.

And the carryover rewards for finishing the demo are trivial to me. I’m already getting materia due to having saves from remake and intergrade.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the performance mode still looks weird, makes me feel like my vision is blurry

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Just so folks know the rewards are

Kupo Charm: accessory that increases the number of resource items extracted at a set rate
Survival set: selection of items to aid on your adventure, such as potions and ethers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZeeBoi posted:

“Different” meaning they blocked off areas and (probably) changed enemy/item placement.

And the carryover rewards for finishing the demo are trivial to me. I’m already getting materia due to having saves from remake and intergrade.

It’s definitely a blocked off section of the map and there are some little enemy encounter missions around, I couldn’t tell you if they were made for the demo.

Is it possible to change characters mid-battle? I probably should read the tutorials to learn about the changes. Seems silly to try to fight flying enemies without Barrett.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is this going to be on PS4?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

PS5 exclusive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Nope. Remake depended heavily on lots of tricks to hide its loading issues, Rebirth (and Yuffie DLC) ditched most of those.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

rip

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though the performance mode blurriness is mostly ignorable to me, in the new open world area I keep feeling like I need to clean my glasses or something lol. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but it's going to be nice playing this on the PC in a year or whatever.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Even though the performance mode blurriness is mostly ignorable to me, in the new open world area I keep feeling like I need to clean my glasses or something lol. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but it's going to be nice playing this on the PC in a year or whatever.

it's bizarre. i dont get this sensation playing lower fidelity games on the switch or whatever. it's like they just cranked the blur up to get more frames (i don't know what they're actually doing, im not a graphics guy)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol got absolutely rocked by the Junon demo boss. I have clearly completely forgotten how to play this battle system

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

lol got absolutely rocked by the Junon demo boss. I have clearly completely forgotten how to play this battle system

I walked into one of the mission battles and got wrecked. I’ve been playing Tales of Arise and their controls are very different!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Remake depended heavily on lots of tricks to hide its loading issues, Rebirth (and Yuffie DLC) ditched most of those.

And yet they still managed to work some crack squeezing and lift riding into the demo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Squeezing through narrow cracks in sheer cliffs probably isn't going anywhere any time soon, even when it's no longer necessary to hide loading it's very convenient as a way to bottleneck the player and activate/deactivate area triggers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It can be (and now probably is) a stylistic choice.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I see what Maximilian Dood from Youtube was saying about this demo having a pretty significant combat challenge compared to the previous title. I'm a fan. I hope this keeps up. It's exactly why I'm going to play on Dynamic difficulty.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lara6683 released a FF7 piano collection today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyLNX3Dj7E

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

stev posted:

And yet they still managed to work some crack squeezing and lift riding into the demo.

They are not going to entirely vanish because even with SSDs it still helps to have bottlenecks when loading in certain new areas.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just beat the demo, though didn't do most of the open world stuff (that can wait until the actual game). Did a few of the combat challenge things. Completed all objectives on two of them, but not the thing where you have to stop the two owl guys from flying.

Final fight would have been pretty hard if not for having Barrett in my team. Would suck with a Cloud/Tifa/Red team. The main issue I ran into is that I often had trouble locking onto my bubbled party members, and when I did lock onto them I'd often have trouble keeping a visual on the boss.

Red's gimmick is kind of neat, but it'll be a lot better if I can somehow get him the ability to provoke enemies.

One other minor issue I ran into is that I had trouble mentally keeping track of the synergy stuff. Like sometimes a character will have the same synergy attack with two other party members. I'm guessing the main game will do better at explaining this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Just beat the demo, though didn't do most of the open world stuff (that can wait until the actual game). Did a few of the combat challenge things. Completed all objectives on two of them, but not the thing where you have to stop the two owl guys from flying.

Final fight would have been pretty hard if not for having Barrett in my team. Would suck with a Cloud/Tifa/Red team. The main issue I ran into is that I often had trouble locking onto my bubbled party members, and when I did lock onto them I'd often have trouble keeping a visual on the boss.

Red's gimmick is kind of neat, but it'll be a lot better if I can somehow get him the ability to provoke enemies.

One other minor issue I ran into is that I had trouble mentally keeping track of the synergy stuff. Like sometimes a character will have the same synergy attack with two other party members. I'm guessing the main game will do better at explaining this.

Remember that you can use the pause feature to retarget, you don't need to do everything in real time.

Remake had the Provoke Materia.

There are overlapping synergies skills (the free ones), the exact available synergies depends on character, so you can have an overlap depending on who you pick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do people normally decide when to change characters in this/Remake? I just kind of do it arbitrarily, but I imagine there must be some good "tactical" way to deal with that. Is it maybe a good idea to switch if your character is getting a lot of heat? Is the AI good enough at dodging/guarding for this to make sense?

ImpAtom posted:

Remember that you can use the pause feature to retarget, you don't need to do everything in real time.

Remake had the Provoke Materia.

There are overlapping synergies skills (the free ones), the exact available synergies depends on character, so you can have an overlap depending on who you pick.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess you're supposed to use those just as "normal" combat moves (since they have no cost)? It seems like they often serve some sort of purpose, like I think one of Red's helps him move forward faster (and same with one of Barret's).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kinda tough to learn the new systems when the enemies all move and attack extremely quickly

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Finished the juno part of the demo. I'm possibly more hyped about this than when I got the original ff7, this is so much better than I could have dreamed. All the sneak peeks look incredible, I've avoided almost all trailers so far and want to go in as blind as possible, so it's all :eyepop: for me.

Also the boss is hard as hell, drat, this fighting system is shaping up to be extremely up my alley.

Now I only need to beg my boss for a 3 day weekend so I can start completely immersing myself from Thursday evening.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 21, 2024

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ytlaya posted:

How do people normally decide when to change characters in this/Remake? I just kind of do it arbitrarily, but I imagine there must be some good "tactical" way to deal with that. Is it maybe a good idea to switch if your character is getting a lot of heat? Is the AI good enough at dodging/guarding for this to make sense?
That was the way to go about it in Remake, yeah. If an enemy was focus firing your controlled person then switch to another, the AI was very good at defending and you could use the new guy to attack unimpeded

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

Are you talking about mid-battle? Computer-controlled characters tend to build ATB very slowly so you should be switching fairly often if you want different characters to be able to use their abilities. The AI is pretty good at dodging/blocking.

Edit: I was thinking about it and you never actually got to choose your party in Remake, the game always chose which ones were available for plot reasons (Barrett is temporarily dead!) or whatever.

Is there a way to swap a party member for one in reserve mid-battle?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Demo boss is allergic to lightning which is pretty handy because you already have some and can get your hands on some from Chadley and boost it to lv2.

There being materia with Two spells is amazing btw. That seems broken in a great way.

Unfortunately this demo kind of has a trap built in where you are gonna want to mess about with Red but he can't reach the drat boss. Tifa to a lesser extent, though she can be launched in the air. I basically didn't use Cloud during the fight at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Synergy skills seem absolutely essential for some characters since they cover their weaknesses. Aerith gets a bodyguard while she sets up her wards, Tifa gets an air launcher, ect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess you're supposed to use those just as "normal" combat moves (since they have no cost)? It seems like they often serve some sort of purpose, like I think one of Red's helps him move forward faster (and same with one of Barret's).

The Skills are supposed to cover for your weaknesses or offer special context sensitive stuff, yeah. Tifa's for example give her either an easy to access launcher or an easy to access hop into the air for her offensive skills. They're not something you're necessarily always going to be using but they add additional flexibility and options to do things without an ATB cost.

Generally you'll want to be swapping once you get too much attention or if you've already built up enough Synergy Charges on one character.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to swap a party member for one in reserve mid-battle?

Not directly, but the non-active party members will contribute small amounts of damage from the sidelines and if two characters are down one of the side characters can do an emergency Synergy Attack.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RatHat posted:

Synergy skills seem absolutely essential for some characters since they cover their weaknesses. Aerith gets a bodyguard while she sets up her wards, Tifa gets an air launcher, ect.

Love Aerith getting her own Protect Girls