Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
"consenting to respiratory diseases because it's impossible to live without human contact" is getting my angry pants on this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

they're gonna send truancy cops after dead kids' parents next

jesus christ :psyduck:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

To be completely clear, the "burden" Ladapo is referring to there is the burden on employers who have workers out with sick kids.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gently caress.

fingers crossed for you friend, we live in teh dumbest of worlds

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*kid dies horribly of measles*

well, pending the Death Certificate and coroner's report I'm sorry we're going to have to hold you on suspicion of child endangerment and abuse based on them not being in school

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Died *with* measles, not of measles.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh this is nice to read.

https://twitter.com/outbreakupdates/status/1760117625869173155

Now we don't have to speculate on why all those bacterial and fungal infections are on the rise, we have a study showing that it does gently caress up our immune system

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

we have no choice but to end abortion to make up for all the toddlers we're gonna lose to preventable infectious diseases

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i see we've moved past the "i dont believe in silicosis so i refuse to wear a p100 when using the grinder" stage of shop safety regression and are now looking hungrily at "eye protection and gloves are a real hassle, and besides that bandsaw can't hurt me"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://x.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1760136838218670333?s=20

that tig welder is my friend, it would never hurt me, and i get sweaty when i wear gloves and a welding mask

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

Oh this is nice to read.

Now we don't have to speculate on why all those bacterial and fungal infections are on the rise, we have a study showing that it does gently caress up our immune system

No, my neutrophils! They're my favorite!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh yeah, by the way you win thread. I finally folded and bought some iota carrageenan nasal spray.

It's not for me tho, it's for my brother. He just told me that one of his tooth just broke and popped off and now he has a hole in his gum (however could that happened? :iiam: ) and the covid safe dentist here in Austin is out of network on his brand new insurance so lmao this sucks. Hoping that upping on all those ks12 oral probiotic and using the carrageenan before the dentist and then a saline nasal spray wash afterwards helps otherwise it's a gamble.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

Oh yeah, by the way you win thread. I finally folded and bought some iota carrageenan nasal spray.

It's not for me tho, it's for my brother. He just told me that one of his tooth just broke and popped off and now he has a hole in his gum (however could that happened? :iiam: ) and the covid safe dentist here in Austin is out of network on his brand new insurance so lmao this sucks. Hoping that upping on all those ks12 oral probiotic and using the carrageenan before the dentist and then a saline nasal spray wash afterwards helps otherwise it's a gamble.

She's out of network for everyone, but the prices haven't been that different from my experience with in network dentists. Can't say what that means for missing tooth work though. Hilariously my dental health has never been better since I'm super focused on microbiome health as part of my living endemically strategy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
God that CFS paper is angering trash.

When I last withdrew from benzodiazepines, I had severe exercise intolerance and lots of other "CFS" symptoms; I think it's because benzo dependency disrupts hormones in a big way.

Someone much smarter than me with a clinical background wrote this hypothesis about benzod

https://web.archive.org/web/20171211000017/http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44373.0

I think a lot of this has obvious implications for CFS since the symptom overlap is basically 100% and I also find this random forum post from an anon to be more reasonable and compelling "data" than that trash

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

Florida stay winning with personal responsibility and medical freedoms

https://twitter.com/maxwellsmith/status/1760128311953334516

we live in hell lmao!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ah poo poo. I chose pick up at pharmacy.

edit: at this point I did all the questions and chose to do a telehealth meeting. Do I get notification of when it is via email or text? At the end of all the questions it just said "Thank you for choosing eMed"

edit 2: just got an email saying their clinicians will review my stuff and email me when they get through it. Fingers crossed that I can get a telehealth meeting today. My pharmacy is literally a 5 minute walk from where I live so hopefully I can badger them into getting my pax ready asap if I get it prescribed.

Call your pharmacy while you're waiting to make sure they have it in stock

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7337339430979636511

Always a bit concerning to see so many people in the comments saying they've been feeling awfully sick too

Yeah I've recently mentioned my buddy who caught something which makes him cough so long and hard that he vomits but the docs simply can't diagnose it. So far it's tested negative for everything including covid, RSV and pertussis and they're at the point where they're just going to dose him up with antibiotics and see how it goes

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, nearly all vaccines have some risk, but they're still very worthwhile especially when the risk profile is poo poo like 'single-digit chance of some health problems later' versus an unvaccinated infection's risk being 'hey there's like double-digit odds you're disabled or dead'

Which is descriptive enough of covid, but it turns out it's surprisingly easy to convince people to facetank 'just the flu bro' multiple times a year if the alternative is framed as removing their limited succor from the hellish nightmare we all live in.

There's pretty much no medical procedure I can think of which doesn't have some element of risk. Aspirin isn't 100% riskless across the board, there's people out there with aspirin allergies. Even sticking a bandaid on a boo boo isn't guaranteed to be riskless since there's people who are allergic to the adhesives used in most bandaids. Human bodies are just too complex for any medical procedure to always have the exact same outcomes across all 8 billion of us, and given the large number of people who receive medical injuries via provider negligence or hospital-acquired infections or procedures which go wrong I'm always somewhat amazed when we get situations like this were people apparently don't realise that there's always a chance of negative outcome. Obviously there's a whole lot of psychological and societal factors feeding into that mindset, I guess it's one of those comfortable little lies we like to tell ourselves.

Of course the flipside is that a lot of the people shouting "They lied to us, they told us the vaccines were completely safe!" are the same people who were shouting "They said we only needed to flatten the curve and it'd all be over in 14 days!!" and were never going to argue on good faith, they're just parroting Fox News arguments and stirring up anti-vaxx rhetoric. But that poo poo still trickles down throughout the rest of society and spreads through people who don't usually lean towards Fox News stances, especially since it seems that most people are no longer interested in keeping regularly informed on the pandemic's progression and seem to mostly be going off the vibes these days.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if we collect and/or release deaths by occupation in Canada? Statscan in my brief search seems to only have pages for excess deaths over time, by region, year, or sex.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Call your pharmacy while you're waiting to make sure they have it in stock

ah good idea, thanks

edit: they do :)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ah good idea, thanks

edit: they do :)

In case you haven't already, ask them if they're charging for it. If they are, you might want to try doing an online chat with Test2Treat to see if they can switch the prescription to home delivery. In my experience they've been incredibly helpful - super willing and responsive and fast acting.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I've recently mentioned my buddy who caught something which makes him cough so long and hard that he vomits but the docs simply can't diagnose it. So far it's tested negative for everything including covid, RSV and pertussis and they're at the point where they're just going to dose him up with antibiotics and see how it goes

Our two year old still has a fairly terrifying sounding cough, two weeks after "recovering" from some virus that wasn't COVID, RSV or flu.

This alarms me substantially as a parent. They told us our COVID kids took a 3-4 year longevity hit, but what if it's an order of magnitude higher?

That's a total doomer idea but doesn't seem impossible, or knowable at this time.

35 is the new 70??

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Why Am I So Tired posted:

In case you haven't already, ask them if they're charging for it. If they are, you might want to try doing an online chat with Test2Treat to see if they can switch the prescription to home delivery. In my experience they've been incredibly helpful - super willing and responsive and fast acting.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

NeonPunk posted:

Oh this is nice to read.

Airborne AIDS Airborne Neutropenia

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hellequin posted:

And here's a Twitter thread detailing everything wrong with it from someone with relevant credentials and research experience because I'm too out of it to type anything further up.

https://twitter.com/sunsopeningband/status/1760247967582437670?t=DRvJXLDwUiKcCUH88nqZvQ&s=19

This was a waste of resources, a waste of time, and a betrayal of patient faith and trust. The authors should be ashamed.

Anyway this probably bodes poorly for Long Covid sufferers as well.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more loving cbt

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Ah, apparently they are and they said that there is some paperwork to fill out? I was able to call Test2Treat and the person said that since the Fed has ended the program that there is something that I have to fill out with Pfizer that usually helps. I'm hoping it does.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
*crack*

The Oldest Man posted:

https://x.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1760136838218670333?s=20

that tig welder is my friend, it would never hurt me, and i get sweaty when i wear gloves and a welding mask
*ping*

ooh yeah that's the stuff

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

She's out of network for everyone, but the prices haven't been that different from my experience with in network dentists. Can't say what that means for missing tooth work though. Hilariously my dental health has never been better since I'm super focused on microbiome health as part of my living endemically strategy.

Oh really? Nice, say do you happen to know if she does a payment plan by any chance?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ah, apparently they are and they said that there is some paperwork to fill out? I was able to call Test2Treat and the person said that since the Fed has ended the program that there is something that I have to fill out with Pfizer that usually helps. I'm hoping it does.

What, wait it's not free anymore? Aw poo poo we knew it was coming but that still really suck to find out

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Sure my kid has ebola but the educational cost of keeping them home is too high!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

RandomBlue posted:

Sure my kid has ebola but the educational cost of keeping them home is too high!

mild hemorrhaging

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

The Oldest Man posted:

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more loving cbt

It's really awesome how frequently and how much these psychosomatic ideologues rely on brain activity MRI scans, continually fooling the public into believing that it's real science, when it's been known for over a decade that those scans can be used to prove a dead fish can recognize human facial expressions. They're loving meaningless.

https://www.wired.com/2009/09/fmrisalmon/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

Oh really? Nice, say do you happen to know if she does a payment plan by any chance?

What, wait it's not free anymore? Aw poo poo we knew it was coming but that still really suck to find out

Ok apparently it IS free- GoGo Health is the one that is handling it. The first person I spoke with said that the Fed stopped giving free Pax but I was given a link to the Phizer access program and filled everything out and they gave me information to show to the pharmacy. I spoke with ANOTHER person and they said I can change it to a mail prescription if it's still a problem, or they can send the info to a local GoGo Health place and it is free.

I'm going to give my pharmacy a call and ask when I can pick it up. Fingers crossed that it goes easily.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

No clue, but I'd at least recommend checking her out for normal maintenance. I pay max a couple of hundred a year for 2 of us after we've exhaust our out of network benefits, worth it to not get covid at a place I already hate going.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hellequin posted:

It's really awesome how frequently and how much these psychosomatic ideologues rely on brain activity MRI scans, continually fooling the public into believing that it's real science, when it's been known for over a decade that those scans can be used to prove a dead fish can recognize human facial expressions. They're loving meaningless.

https://www.wired.com/2009/09/fmrisalmon/

It's also intentionally conflating cause and effect. Like if you know you are physically unable to do certain tasks without your body getting hosed up for days afterward, of course the part of your brain that's responsible for complex decisionmaking would light up more while thinking about doing that kind of task than someone who is able bodied and can do the task without worry of lasting effects. Like, duh. Obviously.

But no, that's your brain fooling itself into thinking PEM is real!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my only regret is that I have but one life to give for my country did not aggressively bandit pax before it all got thrown out

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Hi what are the best/recent studies showing waning vaccine effectiveness, even against hospitalization and death?

Re-upping this

For purposes of online argumentation, so it's important

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok- PAXLOVID GET. I went through all of that and when I went to Walgreens with my coupon information from Phizer the pharmacist said "Oh we don't need that, it's a government program, no charge".

I think what the confusion was that the first Test2Treat person mistakenly toldd me that the program was closed but that is for the free TESTS that they used to send out.

Took my first dose a bit late in the day (1:10pm instead of this AM) hope I don't get lovely side effects and this kills the covid in me quickly.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

NeonPunk posted:

Oh this is nice to read.

The New Day:

AIR

BORNE AIDS

AIR

BORNE AIDS

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ok- PAXLOVID GET. I went through all of that and when I went to Walgreens with my coupon information from Phizer the pharmacist said "Oh we don't need that, it's a government program, no charge".

I think what the confusion was that the first Test2Treat person mistakenly toldd me that the program was closed but that is for the free TESTS that they used to send out.

Took my first dose a bit late in the day (1:10pm instead of this AM) hope I don't get lovely side effects and this kills the covid in me quickly.

The program actually is closed, you must have gotten lucky with a pharmacist who doesn't know they're supposed to be billing insurance for the pax yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

The program actually is closed, you must have gotten lucky with a pharmacist who doesn't know they're supposed to be billing insurance for the pax yet

Yeah if you do the phizer deal you get a bunch of numbers to give to the pharmacist and when they ask for your insurance I was to tell them that Phizer is the Primary (since I'm uninsured). The coverage from Phizer for Pax is good for one year from the date you enroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah if you do the phizer deal you get a bunch of numbers to give to the pharmacist and when they ask for your insurance I was to tell them that Phizer is the Primary (since I'm uninsured). The coverage from Phizer for Pax is good for one year from the date you enroll.

good move, this one. glad you were able to grab some and I hope you can take it easy while it works. rokit snuggles??