Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think that's why they aren't releasing the game i think it's because it's a very niche RPG and translating an extremely text intensive game is a lot of work and money

Is it that niche at this point? I feel like a ton of people know what that series is. Less niche than Famicom Detective Club for sure.

I stopped caring long ago since I doubt a new Nintendo translation would even be better than the fan one anyways. Playing it on Analogue Pocket rules since I can actually hit the rhythm prompts. Last time I played it on pc that part of the game might as well not existed due to the input lag. Not that important but makes the battles a lot more engaging.

I tried that Contra demo and god drat it sucks rear end. Maybe I’m being picky but I think a remake of a nearly 40 year old game should not run worse than said nearly 40 year old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

I assume people want to play it in English but I think the only case of them translating a Japanese version to English was Fire Emblem 1 and Fire Emblem 1 has less text in it overall than Mother 3 has in the first area.

didn't they translate and release Mother 1 after decades (on the wiiu)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The fact those Crossbell games came out in English means nothing is too niche.

Translate em all.

Edit: The switch versions of those games are excellent btw.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Eiba posted:

Fantasy Life isn't coming out until October? gently caress. That's really far out. Nothing else in this direct was later than summer.

The narrator described the video as focusing on games coming out in the first half of 2024. Nintendo has lied straight to our faces.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Meowywitch posted:

The translation and coding work was already done back then, just never published.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Meowywitch posted:

In that case they already translated it back in the NES days and it just never made it to release, which is a bit different than doing a new translation just for the virtual console.

It's still not unprecedented (see Fire Emblem 1) but I feel like at this point our only hope for an official english release is if they ever make a remake instead of just a virtual console release.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Meowywitch posted:

IIRC it was a translation already done long ago, Mother 1 was going to be released in North America but with the SNES on the horizon they decided not to. In fact Begginings was what was used as a base for the fan patches cause someone got hands on a beta cartridge? Since I remember the city names in English using the localized versions and not the Japanese ones based on holidays.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I tried that Contra demo and god drat it sucks rear end. Maybe I’m being picky but I think a remake of a nearly 40 year old game should not run worse than said nearly 40 year old game.

Well this sucks. That’s the only thing I was actually interested in. Oh well :shobon:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally got time to watch this. Saw there were lists so I won't bother but I am excited for Battlefront collection. That's way too cool. We played the crap out of these games back in high school. If the performance is good it's going to be an instant-buy. I unlocked everything in that game, and frankly the dog-fighting is pretty drat good. Hell if performance is bad I probably won't care much either.

I can't wait. Also, can't wait to beat Battletoads.

Having missed out on Endless Ocean I really can't wait to try out this new one. It looks exactly like the sort of thing I would like. Though as someone said the format online/no designed map, makes it less promising.

Aside from that Grounded looks cool but I'm done with that format. Arranger looks neat. I do like puzzle games. I wonder if it'd have much meat or be will designed well to begin with. Kingdom Come looks great and dumb. Wish I could get it for a fiver.

Unicorn Overlord looks like a lot. Might be worth trying the demo though. I l do like strategy.

What the hell is Sword Art Online? I remember seeing these in bargain bins for the playstation constantly. Is it a JRPG or something? It was never clear.

I love Penny's Big Breakaway's aesthetic of old platformer. It's charming.

Glad everyone got their horse card game.

So what's the deal with Pentiment?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

SeANMcBAY posted:

There hasn't been a good Contra since Hard Corps on the Genesis and it came out when I was in goddamn middle school.

It's stunning to me how nobody can come up with a good Contra game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

As mentioned that was based off the finished-but-not-released "Earthbound Zero"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

hatty posted:

Simply learn Japanese

I honestly had this thought.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What the hell is Sword Art Online? I remember seeing these in bargain bins for the playstation constantly. Is it a JRPG or something? It was never clear.

it’s based on a really bad anime series that’s based on a really bad light novel series about a dumb nerd who keeps getting sucked into various MMORPGs where everyone thinks he’s cool and sexy because his stats are really high

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That sounds awful. Thank you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Snake Maze posted:

It's still not unprecedented (see Fire Emblem 1) but I feel like at this point our only hope for an official english release is if they ever make a remake instead of just a virtual console release.
The whole Fire Emblem thing was really weird too. It was a total one-off project based on the Wii U-era VC emulator, and only listed on the eShop for a limited time--itself a strategy they only otherwise used for Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

it’s based on a really bad anime series that’s based on a really bad light novel series about a dumb nerd who keeps getting sucked into various MMORPGs where everyone thinks he’s cool and sexy because his stats are really high

I honestly didn’t even know they were still making stuff in that universe

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is Endless Ocean going to have one of those areas that's absolutely a terrifying horror show for those who have phobias of the ocean

Cause like, the original Endless Ocean is nice, and then there's the Abyss and it's like ohhhh no, no thank you.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I was paging through some ancient Nintendo Powers a while back and was surprised to see a photo and one paragraph tease about Mother. Never followed up on (at least not until 2015).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Sword Art Online

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bofast posted:

Penny's Big Breakaway could probably be good and I like the first World of Goo. Not exactly a huge amount of interesting stuff in this direct otherwise,
though.

Is Endless Ocean just an exploration game, or are you likely to be eaten by sharks and such? I think this might be the first time I'm hearing about it.

the first one is basically a tropical aquarium simulator where you touch fish. the second one goes globetrotting with dive spots in the amazon river and the arctic, and has a plot about tracking down some ancient atlantean ruins with an old sailor and his granddaughter and helping them find closure on the quest that killed his son/her father. there are also a few dangerous fish but it's still mega chill for the most part

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

I like Sword Art Online

my condolences

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can't wait. Also, can't wait to beat Battletoads.

Just to be clear, this is Battletoads in Battlemaniacs which is a different lovely Battletoads game than the original.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just to be clear, this is Battletoads in Battlemaniacs which is a different lovely Battletoads game than the original.

I think they made at least 5 Battletoads games (all of which sucked as I recall)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sword fart onlien

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blast Corps still whips

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Larryb posted:

I think they made at least 5 Battletoads games (all of which sucked as I recall)

I loved the music and the animation/graphics. Everything else about Battletoads can go suck a gently caress.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

battletoads & double dragon is the best battletoads game

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what's the deal with Pentiment?

It's a fantastic game, that's the deal.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

The narrator described the video as focusing on games coming out in the first half of 2024. Nintendo has lied straight to our faces.
How can they do this to us?

I found this video about character creation that's a couple months old but new to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoV47qgED8

I'm amused by how proud they are of this switch game looking better than its 3DS predecessor.

I just can't wait to play Fantasy Life!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pentiment rules

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It looks like one of a thousand card games that look like that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think it’s hilarious that Microsoft was literally like 2 weeks away from quietly revealing new ports of some MGS games to other consoles but because people started leaking insane poo poo like “they’re gonna pull a Sega” or “they’re gonna put all their games on PS5 now” they had to come out and make a podcast to put out all those fires and say “look it’s just 4 smaller games that will benefit from being on more consoles”

But also they couldn’t actually say which games because they had to save the actual reveal for today because Nintendo Direct

edit: like Ori and Minecraft are already on Switch it wouldn’t even have been shocking just surprising, but gamers gotta gamer

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What the gently caress, where's all the battletoad hate coming from? Get gud losers

Tall Tale Teller posted:

There hasn't been a good Contra since Hard Corps on the Genesis and it came out when I was in goddamn middle school.

Contra 4 was very good!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wonder if Konami is ever gonna rerelease those cool like remakes of their classic games that were imprisoned on the original Wii eShop

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

not a bot posted:

It's a fantastic game, that's the deal.

Is it a card game? I don’t like those.

My comment stands. I found them all hard at one point. And you’re right there’s not much redeemable but what there is, is great.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No, it's point and click game or rather an interactive story about a 16th century village near the border of Germany and Italy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what loving card games are people playing that look like Pentiment

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Gotta give credit to Shattered Soldier on the PS2, but that's around 20 years old at this point.

We already got a spiritual successor in Cuphead, I'm not waiting on Konami to make anything decent these days.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Pentiment is a great immersive historical narrative game. You play as an artist traveling through 1500s Bavaria, who's forced to help solve a crime and in the process learn a lot about life in early modern times. The gameplay is 90% walking around, clicking on things, choosing dialog options, and (most importantly) deciding who to have dinner with. There are occasionally little interactive sequences to break things up. One of those sequences involves cards. It pretty low pressure though. Definitely not as hardcore as the cookie cutting minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What the gently caress, where's all the battletoad hate coming from? Get gud losers

Contra 4 was very good!

Shattered soldier on PS2 was cool except for being blocked from the final levels of you couldn't do the first five in a row perfectly