Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I liked the Villainess lv99 joke last week during the contest
where she smiles at Patrick standing all the way up in the stands, and he reacts by going oh no..and hides behind a pillar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol Doctor Elise this week's procedure was intense
like we know she's a great doctor, but imagining the scenario that your a random party-goer that some unknown lady (well the empress candidate) just walks up in the middle of a party, and grabs a knife and starts cutting the neck of a patient going "its all right!" is so crazy when you think about it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Meme Emulator posted:

If they’re in an appendix and not covering anything up I don’t even mind if they’re overused

E: TCB scans translations of JJK during the comedian chapters is probably what every translator should strive for when trying to balance explaining cultural minutia and keeping the story moving.

The comedian fight in JJK is something that is actually about an aspect of Japanese culture, I think the stuff people make fun of is when translators go overboard with the reverence and act like keikaku is a uniquely Japanese concept (keikaku means plan)

I liked the Hoseki no Kuni translator notes mostly being geology facts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat, Sengoku Youko was good this week.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I absolutely abhor when scanlators add translation notes that just say "tn: lol at the face" or the equivalent.

Just... why? I'm fuckin' reading the manga, I can see whatever it is you think is notable and judge for myself whether or not it's notable!!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've seen light novel fan translations that will have random comments like that in the middle of the text.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the worst are the horny translator comments

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Frankly a lot of the stuff yall are complaining about doesnt sound like handy translation notes compiled at the end of a chapter/volume in an appendix

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Fan translations are like any other hobby; some people take them seriously enough to equal or surpass professional jobs, and some are like something someone did while scrolling on their phone and watching netflix at the same time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think some amount of translation notes in the margins can be interesting trivia or help inform the reader about the process but at the same time trying to make the manga too much about the translator can be really annoying, and that can happen even if they are just actually informational translator notes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If there was a Discworld manga, I would welcome as many margin notes as possible

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Stink Billyums posted:

I've seen light novel fan translations that will have random comments like that in the middle of the text.

the worst ones, mainly the ones doing machine translations

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

GateOfD posted:

lol Doctor Elise this week's procedure was intense
like we know she's a great doctor, but imagining the scenario that your a random party-goer that some unknown lady (well the empress candidate) just walks up in the middle of a party, and grabs a knife and starts cutting the neck of a patient going "its all right!" is so crazy when you think about it

I love that she did it so perfectly, that bitchy, long-haired king’s advisor couldn’t say poo poo.

And oops, does it seem like both brothers like Elise, who remains oblivious? True isekai.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Endorph posted:

i think some amount of translation notes in the margins can be interesting trivia or help inform the reader about the process but at the same time trying to make the manga too much about the translator can be really annoying, and that can happen even if they are just actually informational translator notes

A few now and then are either useful, or sometimes funny. It's bad when it's like real cringey stuff though or someone just talking to interject poo poo. I like having a note like 1-2x in a chapter if its crossrefrencing something back to other parts of the story, or dropping in some regional context that's not well known for westerners etc.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Endorph posted:

I know there was a big push against footnotes in academia a decade or two ago and it feels like its laregly the same reason. Footnotes are really cool but there are annoying assholes who will stick useful information in there instead of like, sources and asides

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Isn't it a jelly donut

then what’s ramen?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sb hermit posted:

then what’s ramen?

Pizza obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlkbEy-EsU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sb hermit posted:

then what’s ramen?

Burgers, obviously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

drat, Sengoku Youko was good this week.
It's pretty much where it hits a groove and then never looks back.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

we were expecting a different answer but your contribution is appreciated

AnoHito posted:

Burgers, obviously.

correct

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like how Yurucamp/Laid back camp manga does translation notes which is at the end of the volume. It's a good place to give a deeper explanation without slowing the pace of the manga itself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dunno about anchovy, spinach, and pineapple pizza, but I could go for an anchovy and black olive pizza right now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

If there was a Discworld manga, I would welcome as many margin notes as possible

Or a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy manga. It just wouldn't be an accurate adaptation without copious footnotes, with some of them going on for so long that they run onto another page

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately the goal of translation is for you to the enjoy the thing not a translation of the thing so too much insistence on yourself on the translators part can be distracting

there are some concepts where an explanation can help an average layman engage more with the material tho

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving up translations of Pratchett's Discworld is something of a tradition anyway. Apparently the company that translated it into German inserted ads for a local brand of soup, and it turned out they'd been doing that regularly in their other translations for years: https://lithub.com/the-time-terry-pratchetts-german-publisher-inserted-a-soup-ad-into-his-novel/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Needless to say he wasn't happy about the addition and changed publishers.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i wish the later seasons of gintama on crunchyroll had notes about 2012 japanese celebrities like the first big season does

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol, the last lines in this week's lv99 Villainess...

work hard Patrick

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Metallic Rouge you maybe shouldn't be trying to run 3-4 Kamen Rider plots in one 13 episode series

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But they've got artificial black hole machines to alter Venus gravity and then a scientist walks on the molten surface which goes like you'd expect.

I feel Metallic Rouge is too cryptic with its storytelling to the detriment of building up any narrative momentum. It's often unclear if a reveal is meant to be a revelation that flips the story on its head or if it's only another layer. Certainly feels like that's intentional on the show's part but that's not always the most entertaining way to tell a story. At this point it seems like their way of answering one mystery is with three new mysteries, so it'll hinge on how everything comes together in the end. It could either be a eureka moment or a car crash. Unfortunately I'm kinda leaning towards the latter right now unless the show really starts to pick things up a notch.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 22, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Sounds like they did not commit to doing more episodes of dog-kicking quality.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I too am shocked that a hyped Bones original is turning into an incomprehensible mess. Who could of seen this coming (shoves Captain Earth and Carole and Tuesday away)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metallic Rouge:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I too am shocked that a hyped Bones original is turning into an incomprehensible mess. Who could of seen this coming (shoves Captain Earth and Carole and Tuesday away)

Carole and Tuesday wasn't incomprehensible, it just didn't go anywhere interesting and ended on the most pedestrian note possible.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Still liked some of the songs though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bones way is to take an interesting premise and an appealing cast of characters and then do nothing in particular with them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thing is I love their adaptations (Mob Psycho was great, loved Show by the Rock...My Hero...well...1st season was good and than I fell off) but man their track record on original shows is just not good overall *eyes Eureka 7*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

metallic rouge is one of the best bones originals ever made because the women have lines, and ive yet to see hillary clinton

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this puts it ahead of eureka seven and carole and tuesday and into the vaunted territory of xam'd and darker than black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway sincerely though i went into it expecting this kind of thing cause, its a Bones Original, and enjoying it for those elements rather than expecting it to come together into some richly written tapestry. like theres lines outright poking fun at itself, i dont think youre meant to be experiencing it on the level of an intricately plotted thriller, its more a vibes thing.

the joke after the huge convoluted dream/memories/mind control bit where rouge gets asked what happened and opens her mouth, pauses, then goes 'i cant really explain it in a sentence', is, to me, indicative that the show is pretty self-aware.