Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I find it easier to aim ADS vs third-person, personally. Makes it much more obvious when my Helldiver is getting shunted and my aim is "off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I put a gatling sentry right in front of an emerging nest, and a pubbie looked at it and called down a barrage right on top of it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Legit Businessman posted:

Excellent post/username combo :v:

ADS'ing with a few weapons is very strong, like the diligence or Railgun (if nothing else to make sure you're hitting the overcharge and also not blowing yourself up).

I absolutely agree that you don't want in engage in long distance firefights, but there are times (vs bots mostly) where the terrain/environment/general chaos of battle can make it difficult to just see your targets, and having that zoom does help. At least for me. It's also more intuitive with all the other fps games I've played that I don't have to deal with the lag reticle to line up my shots. YMMV.

I don't think there are people who think the dilligence sucks against bots.

The diligence is trash.

The railgun is still powerful when aiming in third-person. How many different ways do I have to stipulate that? Also it's a support weapon with extremely high damage and armor pen. Those two weapons are not the same.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 21, 2024

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My own enjoyment of the AMR against bots but not bugs probably has to do with the fact my two favorite suit perks are Engineer and Fortified, the ones that have better recoil crouched. (And that I was using when the counter sniper was a loving letdown, even after starting to get more mileage out of the basic marksman)

I expect saying gently caress it and mashing the trigger for my double taps, would not be rewarded as often using the popular light scout suits.

But yeah, bots have way more things where "Shoot them in the front, or their fat weak spot" is actually rewarded with an AMR, compared to wacky turnspeeds that even a hulk can remember is a thing it can do being far more of a bastard with the bugs if you don't have explosives or a railgun. Along with pacing issues of "suddenly 2-3 dropships" vs "breach automatically triggered 20 feet from the objective computer, enjoy it happening two more times"

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Typical Pubbie posted:

The diligence is trash.

The railgun is still powerful when aiming in third-person. How many different ways do I have to stipulate that?

Diligence is great against most rank and file bots other than the chainsaw bastards, and those guys just get a railgun to the dick. Breaker is obviously better close in and against bugs in general, but the rifle is great at quickly popping all the foot soldiers that call in dropships.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I tend to prefer first person shooter perspectives, but if the game has me playing third person I prefer to stay third person with aiming, can be a little disorienting to have your view swap from over the shoulder to the scope, it helps that this game is very cinematic though as you dive backwards onto your back to blast the bug that was about to eat you.

The Anti material rifle I used for the daily medals was pretty effective though I will say.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 21, 2024

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I'm super stoked for the success of the game but man does it suck to wait an hour for a spot and ...not get it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The matchmaking being back up and running has made this soooooo much more fun than running solos while my friends save for the game, holy poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

also I don't like the breaker as much as the manual reload shotgun ngl

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm not a huge fan of the Breaker either, but I mostly just don't like that playstyle even though the game kinda demands it in some situations. Hoping to have the Slugger unlocked today to try it out.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

There are still lots of strategies for dealing with chargers, the playerbase has just gravitated towards Railguns because you don't need any support to handle most large targets with it, and in a game where you might be playing with somewhat-unreliable pubbies and even-more-unreliable matchmaking it feels bad to rely on them and have them fall through (or not be able to join, or drop mid-game, etc.).

Flamethrowers can kill chargers pretty handily without needing to rely on any sort of armor break to do so, you just need to be good at bullfighting them. The advantage to the flamethrower is that unlike the Railgun, it is just as happy mulching through chaff as it is melting a charger and is great at area-denial, but the lack of range makes it a deathtrap against spewers and bile titans.

The basic bitch minefield absolutely fucks up chargers hilariously quickly, and honestly might be the best stratagem for handling multiple chargers at once. The problem is, mines are just as dangerous to you and your teammates and most pubbie players are horrendous at placing minefields effectively (yes, please throw a minefield down in the middle of that hive/outpost, I'm sure it won't cause any issues for us trying to retrieve samples).

EATs are a terrific option as well. You can kill a charger with an EAT arguably faster than you can with a railgun (one EAT shot will blow off the leg armor as opposed to two railgun shots), but it doesn't scale as well when multiple chargers are in play thanks to only having two shots per drop (although the cooldown timer on that drop is very short, it doesn't play well with prolonged engagements). EATs (and by extension the recoilless) are much more team-friendly weapons by comparison to the railgun. On a hit, both weapons will - in a single shot - blow off way more armor on a large target that exposes big weakpoints for your teammates to shoot than the railgun does.

Someone also mentioned earlier that even the humble AMR does work against chargers, too. While it can't break leg armor on its own, if you can bullfight a charger it's still quite effective when you magdump the AMR into its rear end and unlike the autocannon you do not need to sit still when reloading the AMR (which is a godsend against a charger).

Needless to say - even compared to the Autocannon and the Railgun - not all of the weapons are garbage. What is garbage is a meta mindset that closes off your brain to other, viable strategies because you've willingly blinded yourself to them. You and I both know you're better than that.

Even the Autocannon and the Railgun have some pretty substantial drawbacks - the Autocannon takes up a backpack slot, requires you to reload standing in place, and doesn't actually help the team break heavy armor to expose weaknesses. The Railgun has limited ammo, so it's not something you want to use to help clear out chaff. Additionally, it's not a one-shot solution for armor breaks - it needs to hit the same spot multiple times before getting a break, which its limited ammo supply works against. Also, if you're trying to get as much damage as you can out of it you run the risk of blowing up both yourself and the weapon. Finally, it has a fairly substantial cooldown timer - so if you overcharge it and blow it up you are poo poo out of luck if it's not ready for redeployment, whereas no other weapon gets destroyed even if you should blow yourself up with it (so you can always recollect it upon redeployment).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

In my experience, weapons that require the user to ADS and engage targets at long range all suck.

Engaging targets at long range in this game is generally a bad idea. If you're attacking an objective or a patrol for some reason it's best to get as close as possible before your team opens up. That way you kill the defenders quickly while limiting the area of the engagement. This is good because sprawling fire fights over a large area are bad. They aggro more patrols, which has a snowballing effect when the patrols call for reinforcements. This is what overwhelms you.

Also, weapons that need you to ADS to be good just suck in a game where a strong gust of wind will throw your character to the ground, and anything and everything will cause your aim to flinch.

Nah, long range fire can absolutely be great in this game.

For example, you get into a ruckus. Two of you run off, especially through a narrow cut in the terrain if there happens to be one nearby. The other two keep a slow fighting withdraw. once the other two who are hittin da bricks gets a 100+m away, you tell the other two to just run right past you. Now you've got all the enemies coming straight for the two who are laying prone and blow everything the gently caress up at long range. AC and AMR are great in this roll. By the time they get up to you, everyone's set and ready to finish off whatever heavies the long range couldn't take care of.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bandire posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the Breaker either, but I mostly just don't like that playstyle even though the game kinda demands it in some situations. Hoping to have the Slugger unlocked today to try it out.

Slugger users I know def enjoy it

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Matchmaking works pretty well now but crashes are becoming a real frustration.

Like 2 of last 6 matches ended because of a network disconnect/crash

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

In my experience, weapons that require the user to ADS and engage targets at long range all suck.

Engaging targets at long range in this game is generally a bad idea. If you're attacking an objective or a patrol for some reason it's best to get as close as possible before your team opens up. That way you kill the defenders quickly while limiting the area of the engagement. This is good because sprawling fire fights over a large area are bad. They aggro more patrols, which has a snowballing effect when the patrols call for reinforcements. This is what overwhelms you.

Also, weapons that need you to ADS to be good just suck in a game where a strong gust of wind will throw your character to the ground, and anything and everything will cause your aim to flinch.

I think it depends on the biome. On desert planets/rocky moons you have much farther sightlines and there's usually a lot less cover over open spaces. It's much easier to scout patrols and pick off the important targets quickly. Versus in the jungle/forest planets you usually have dense foliage keeping you from seeing entire patrols at once, and it's a lot easier for things to sneak up on you at close range

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slugger is very good, it's basically the antipode to the Breaker - it's very good at the mid size bugs, and crappy against the smaller ones

Also long range since it's not a cod shotgun, you can snipe poo poo at long range with it

e: it's alright against the bots but I think I still prefer the marksman there, being able to surgically remove the loving flare dorks and take down outposts quickly and quietly at range saves a lot of grief. getting into a close range scrap with the bots is a great way to get three dropships two hulks and two tanks on you while you're distracted by robo chainsaw mans

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 21, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

If you have the AC, stick with it. For Chargers, side step or let em charge into a rock, and then put some rounds in the underside of the tail, it'll fall off and the charger bleeds to death. Slap in a new magazine and repeat. The back of each leg can also be hit with AC and it should only take 2 shots on the same leg to either kill it outright or to be able to finish it with small arms.

That being said don't discount the EAT still - it can be really handy to just be able to sprint by a pod while kiting, pick up a rocket, and blast open some charger legs so you can remove them fast, and then pick up your AC again.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Recoilless being able to kill a bile titan in one shot and strip armor off a charger in one go makes it viable in my mind but the railgun is absolutely more versatile since it doesn't need a backpack slot.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

victrix posted:

e: it's alright against the bots but I think I still prefer the marksman there, being able to surgically remove the loving flare dorks and take down outposts quickly and quietly at range saves a lot of grief. getting into a close range scrap with the bots is a great way to get three dropships two hulks and two tanks on you while you're distracted by robo chainsaw mans

Hmm, couldn't you just drop an eagle strike on it and move on? Or shoot a support weapon at the bot factory?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also the slugger is an absolute tack driver at range and you can still single out the commisar bots with it.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Anyone on PS5 having network issues? I had a game disconnect and now when I try to quick play again it alternates between searching for SOS beacons and establishing uplink, but never seems to connect with a match

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What is the support shotgun? Is that the slugger or something else?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always bring a shotgun and a MG at this point, sometimes AMR.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bring back the UAV Stratagem that lets us see where all the samples are, Arrowhead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I looted the arc rifle once when just messing around and really liked it but I'm going to assume once I can actually log on and get past level 5 that it becomes useless and consumes your number 3 slot that could go to other things?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All the guns are good, don't listen to people trying to optimize the fun out of this game. At worst, a gun is only good situationally but still good.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Arc has surprisingly decent range and perfect initial shot accuracy as far as I can tell, but the arcing part is really inconsistent and obviously it can also TK. That said, it was 2-shotting rocket devastators with headshots on suicidal and seemed to sometimes damage the bots inside walkers so...

I imagine it would be substantially less useful on bug missions.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol I wish this game had an option to appear offline to friends, strangely. sometimes I just wanna play low key while being quiet and not listening to people, but if friends see me online I gotta get on voice lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hey mom its 420 posted:

lol I wish this game had an option to appear offline to friends, strangely. sometimes I just wanna play low key while being quiet and not listening to people, but if friends see me online I gotta get on voice lol

IDK about PS5, but on Steam you can go offline / invisible to friends.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Agreed the Diligence vs bots is pretty good. It can one-tap most trash and two-tap Devastators with headshots. The Diligence Counter Sniper however is maybe the worst weapon I've ever used and gave me motion sickness. It has really good auto aim in TPS mode when prone tho.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Best tip I've gotten so far has been "Remember: Freedom!"

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

sushibandit posted:

Arc has surprisingly decent range and perfect initial shot accuracy as far as I can tell, but the arcing part is really inconsistent and obviously it can also TK. That said, it was 2-shotting rocket devastators with headshots on suicidal and seemed to sometimes damage the bots inside walkers so...

I imagine it would be substantially less useful on bug missions.

Arc becomes wildly powerful if all 4 people are running it.
It takes about 12-16 shots to kill a charger, and with 4 people that takes about 2 seconds.

Do with this information what you will.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i love the autocannon but it's starting to seem like it falls off a lot on higher difficulties, doesn't do much to chargers and i feel like i might as well be tickling any huge enemy.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

IDK about PS5, but on Steam you can go offline / invisible to friends.
Yeah, you can appear Offline on PSN. I use it all the time when I play anime games Call of Duty.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

jokes posted:

All the guns are good, don't listen to people trying to optimize the fun out of this game. At worst, a gun is only good situationally but still good.

Saying a gun sucks isn't the same as telling someone how to play. Winning in this game is mainly down to picking fights carefully and deploying your stratagems effectively. Take whatever loadout you want.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Also, I spent a good amount of time on my ship because gently caress everybody.

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1760045411207709089?s=20

get nuked from orbit, dweebus

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Tom Tucker posted:

Best tip I've gotten so far has been "Remember: Freedom!"

My favorite has been "Are you aware there are tips on the loading screens?"

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i see, I thought if I appear offline on psn, the people who’ve added me in game as friends (as opposed to my psn friends) could still see me in the game. guess i was wrong

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

is there a freedom and liberty button a la rock n stone from DRG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ZeusCannon posted:

My favorite has been "Are you aware there are tips on the loading screens?"

"Don't forget to take breaks...if you want everyone to think you're a coward!"