Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's a little misleading as it looks like your tilting the rotor disk, but all your are doing with the swash plate is changing the pitch on the blade.
He explains it a little better in the longer video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QzYicgTL8&t=192s

The up/down (flapping) movement comes from 90 degrees after the change of pitch due to phase lag.
So, to make the disc tilt forward you decrease the pitch on the advancing blade and increase pitch on the retreating blade. (at 90 degrees to the direction of travel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I love when aerospace museuems have some old traffic chopper cut away so the kids you can pretend to fly it and observe the linkages in action; it's really need!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In what's sure to be "a real bummer" for Boeing's public relations people, a 757 had to divert due to "wings fall off syndrome"

https://avherald.com/h?article=51530e9d&opt=0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bird strike?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, that very very much looks like impact damage, also the last 757 rolled off the production line like 20 years ago, I think Boeing's in the clear on this one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Why does it look like it's made of wood?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Plywood is a composite.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
AvGeek rides shotgun on Harbour Air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keIIHQlfKAU

Next time I'm in Seattle I might consider doing this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Poking around the internet for more info on that 757 slat delamination, I found this article that claims United can't fly their A321NEOs that are supposed to replace their haggard-rear end 757s, because they can't turn the no smoking signs off.

E: and they say Boeing has quality problems 🙄

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was on a flight not long ago where the no smoking light had been replaced by a non illuminated, painted sign or decal. Pretty sure it was a domestic us flight, American or United I forget

Are they required to be lit up

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Hadlock posted:

FWIW the last time I was on a plane the illuminated signs were for wearing seatbelts and not using electronic devices respectively.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

And switchable, apparently.

https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1757157271480492537

https://paxex.aero/united-airlines-a321neo-grounded-smoking-signs/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Theris posted:

Ok, fine. Everyone please pretend I said "jet" instead of "aircraft." Thanks.

if you use the current usage of "jet", the tu114 still qualifies. if you use the older usage of jet, then the rockets qualify!

(i think the rockets still fail the "airliners" part because even the commercial ones are still essentially charters, not regular scheduled service)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I guess to me there's some logic in every system that has electrical power needing an off switch or at least a fuse that can easily be yoinked, in case magic smoke is coming out of one of the lights somewhere

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s an outdated rule, but Airbus and their customers don’t have much excuse not to know about and follow it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Apparently the FAA granted the waiver within a couple hours and the planes were back in the air.

It's one of those old regulations that was perfectly logical when it was written. Back in the day when smoking was allowed of course you want the crew to be able to signal that smoking is or is not OK depending on the situation.

Now it sounds stupid but like many old laws on the books, no one has been bothered to get around to changing it. If this was just some city ordinance, people wouldn't care and cops wouldn't enforce it. But because this is aviation and the subject is an aircraft worth a hundred million dollars, every little rule has to be followed or the lawyers and insurance agents will have your rear end.

Of course the FAA understands and is quick to grant waivers... as long as you remember to apply when you buy a new model.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

if you use the current usage of "jet", the tu114 still qualifies. if you use the older usage of jet, then the rockets qualify!

(i think the rockets still fail the "airliners" part because even the commercial ones are still essentially charters, not regular scheduled service)

Goddamnit I even thought about throwing in "and I mean the colloquial usage of 'jet,' not BLADE's 'technically a turboprop is a kind of jet even if literally no one actually uses the word that way in practice' or the source of JPL's name" but didn't think I'd actually need to.

And really the contention with the rockets is that their operators would probably not care for you calling them aircraft rather than spacecraft.

Either way, i promise I like waffles. Please don't put in the newspaper that I hate waffles.

Edit: You know what? The 108db always quoted for the Tu-114 is from right next to the engines inside a cabin with Soviet noise isolation. (ie, none) The source for the claim for the civilian Conways is 116db measured under the flight path of the plane at a point 21,000ft from the start of the t/o roll. I bet the Conway 707/DC-8s were just straight up louder anyway even if the cabin was certainly much quieter.

Edit 2: The same source has the Tu-144 Concordski at 110db for the 21,000ft from the t/o start measurement. It does beat the Conway 707 with 114db 450m laterally from the runway centerline vs the 707's 112db. However, it also has a variant of the Convair 880 at 117db for the under the t/o path measurement, and a JT3D-7 powered 707 at 120db under the approach path vs 112db for the Conway, so :shrug:

It's here if anyone is interested. (Edit 3: fixed the link)

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 21, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This 757 talk reminds me that there's still a corner of my mind which has never gotten over my childhood disappointment that a 757 is smaller than a 747. Number go up should mean plane bigger. This is solid child logic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This 757 talk reminds me that there's still a corner of my mind which has never gotten over my childhood disappointment that a 757 is smaller than a 747. Number go up should mean plane bigger. This is solid child logic.

Lockheed L-1011 superiority.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I watched Ernest Saves Christmas this past year, and the opening shows the real Santa Claus's flight landing as a DC9 and taxiing to the gate as an L-1011. I never flew on a L-1011 and I went down a rabbit hole to see if there were any in a museum.

Turns out there is still one flying. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazer_(aircraft) Pretty cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

You could make the case that "even numbers mean it's a widebody and odds mean narrowbody" but the 727 shits on that.

The 7E7 (terrible name)/797 was meant to be a 757 replacement before they went long (literally) on the 737.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 7E7 (terrible name)/797 was meant to be a 757 replacement before they went long (literally) on the 737.

Quad wing, 250' long, 450 400 passenger 737 wen

Edit: can't math well

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

why dont we have more orb planes. just big ol round boys rolling down the skyways

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
they should just stack two 737-max vertically and add some wing bracing, bam, boeing passenger biplane

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cactus Ghost posted:

why dont we have more orb planes. just big ol round boys rolling down the skyways

posting a good orb plane:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

holy poo poo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:owned:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

7e7 became the 787.

NMA was the only semi official name for the 757 "replacement" and they wanted to do a goofy rear end elliptical shaped fuselage for it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Timmy Age 6 posted:

In a similar "technically correct but not exactly what was actually asked", I found this fun little bit of FAQ on the website of one of the "rich person air taxi" companies today.

A lot of the "jet turbine powered aircraft" are Cessna Grand Caravans. Which, yes, turboprops are technically jet turbines, buuut I don't think that is exactly what most people have in mind when they picture a jet.

A dumb confession: it hurts my brain slightly they are called Grand Caravans, just like the Dodge Minivan

I feel seen

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

the milk machine posted:

they should just stack two 737-max vertically and add some wing bracing, bam, boeing passenger biplane

Twin-mustang boeing

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Nebakenezzer posted:

A dumb confession: it hurts my brain slightly they are called Grand Caravans, just like the Dodge Minivan

Cessna probably named it that because their benchmark for the interior plastics was a Chrysler.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Salami Surgeon posted:

I watched Ernest Saves Christmas this past year, and the opening shows the real Santa Claus's flight landing as a DC9 and taxiing to the gate as an L-1011. I never flew on a L-1011 and I went down a rabbit hole to see if there were any in a museum.

Turns out there is still one flying. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargazer_(aircraft) Pretty cool.

Must be interesting to keep the sole flyable L-1011 in that condition, even if Pegasus launches aren't common (looks like it's less than 1 mission a year these days).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Zero One posted:

Apparently the FAA granted the waiver within a couple hours and the planes were back in the air.

It's one of those old regulations that was perfectly logical when it was written. Back in the day when smoking was allowed of course you want the crew to be able to signal that smoking is or is not OK depending on the situation.

Now it sounds stupid but like many old laws on the books, no one has been bothered to get around to changing it. If this was just some city ordinance, people wouldn't care and cops wouldn't enforce it. But because this is aviation and the subject is an aircraft worth a hundred million dollars, every little rule has to be followed or the lawyers and insurance agents will have your rear end.

Of course the FAA understands and is quick to grant waivers... as long as you remember to apply when you buy a new model.

I still think it's hilarious that the ashtrays are on the Minimum Equipment List. If an ashtray breaks, that lavatory is off-limits. If the ashtray is missing entirely, the plane is grounded.

Someone please correct me if the MMEL for some type has finally gotten adjusted or a waiver has been granted for:

14CFR25.853(g) posted:

Regardless of whether smoking is allowed in any other part of the airplane, lavatories must have self-contained, removable ashtrays located conspicuously on or near the entry side of each lavatory door, except that one ashtray may serve more than one lavatory door if the ashtray can be seen readily from the cabin side of each lavatory served.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s considered really bad if people don’t have a safe place to dispose of a lit cigarette, even if they should have never had a lit cigarette in the first place.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Must be interesting to keep the sole flyable L-1011 in that condition, even if Pegasus launches aren't common (looks like it's less than 1 mission a year these days).

Six hours of flight time a year means they probably have a century of service life left on that airframe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s considered really bad if people don’t have a safe place to dispose of a lit cigarette, even if they should have never had a lit cigarette in the first place.

Yeah. Some people are gonna smoke whether or not it's illegal, and it's better to have an ashtray than risk them shoving it in the trash or something.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Platystemon posted:

Yeah it’s one of those things that seems silly at first blush but then is much better than the alternative

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

fedgov just seized an Iranian 747-300 that was used for some nefarious purposes and i was like theres still someone with a flyable 747-300? wild stuff

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Never underestimate the Iranians to keep something flying long after experts deem it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

7e7 became the 787.

I thought 7e7 became 70,000,000 :cheers: