Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Visions of Valerie posted:

good news, the C ABI already exists on your OS and if you're not targeting it you should be

another thing windows gets right is making unwinding part of the platform ABI and presenting segfaults to the process as exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

making an ABI without a programming language in mind seems like it’ll result in a system that sucks to use from all languages, instead of all-but-one languages

drat didnt have you pegged as a nosql liker. learn something every day

edit: im just saying lets really put that "computers are fast enough now" idea to the test and make stack frames out of json. free named params. human readable core dumps. its a no brainer

Nomnom Cookie fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 21, 2024

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

stretch goal: use jq to implement a CPS interpreter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abi word

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
blinkenlights on flippy switch vacuum tube monstrosity

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Nomnom Cookie posted:

another thing windows gets right is making unwinding part of the platform ABI and presenting segfaults to the process as exceptions

I don't hate the signal(7) interface but I also rarely want to do anything on SEGV other than dump core so :shrug:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You should, there's no way to use them from multiple threads or different parts of the program.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

depending so tightly on implementation characteristics behind IWhatever that you can’t actually substitute anything anyway

so just like every other interface

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pseudorandom name posted:

dynamic linking works great on operating systems designed by professionals

yeah, it'll be great if we ever get one someday

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

likely would have been better had dynamic linking been confined to a well-defined set of platform libraries a vendor is standing prepared to maintain forward compatibility for. the idea of more broadly randomly swapping out large chunks of programs from under them never worked and never will.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

likely would have been better had dynamic linking been confined to a well-defined set of platform libraries a vendor is standing prepared to maintain forward compatibility for. the idea of more broadly randomly swapping out large chunks of programs from under them never worked and never will.

Is this not how it worked on SunOS originally?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

sure is a good thing for this argument that Linux distros don't exist

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rather key that they exist as the cautionary example

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

rather key that they exist as the cautionary example

idk mate "Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/etc. never worked and never will" is a pretty galaxy brain take

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

had you been clever you would have dropped in rhel (or if a certain kind of sicko argument nix) but lol ubuntu working

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

had you been clever you would have dropped in rhel (or if a certain kind of sicko argument nix) but lol ubuntu working

have you been paying attention to red hat lately

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

have you been paying attention to rhel lately

RHEL 9 is fine.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

FlapYoJacks posted:

RHEL 9 is fine.

centos sure ain't though

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

centos sure ain't though

Absolutely. Don’t use CentOS. I think Rocky is the new CentOS.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rhel being an ibm product brings some worries, but among them are *not* matters of support, updates, and forward compatibility. if you can pay.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Absolutely. Don’t use CentOS. I think Rocky is the new CentOS.

rocky is the new centos but a lot of vendor garbage that ran on centos doesn't run on rocky because parsing /etc/redhat-release is hard

Grum
May 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

runtime symbol resolution for me, but not for thee

i like what sdl does, if you static link they slot in a jump table anyway. so nowadays my feelin is: why not both

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

do you really look at a thousand nerds pushing on dependency conflicts until they hack together a pile that appears to work and think "yes, this is the Absolute Idea of operating system design"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats all os's, you're just picking between nerds gettin paid figs at the actual os company and an alliance of nerds gettin paid figs at the places that wanna screw the os company over and true ideologues

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Linux distros used to break my product all the time by trying to be clever and split it up into more shared libraries (hurting performance along the way). grr

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

like Windows

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you could also build a application patching system into the OS itself, for backwards compatibility with particularly broken applications

like Windows

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i guess the mac peeps have things a fair tad better

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no ebpf or WPF, so that’s unfortunate. don’t think you can drive the profiler from an API any more to control the workload that you want to focus on; it was really handy to be able to start/stop/pause/resume to get cleaner profiles

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i guess the mac peeps have things a fair tad better
as a niche os they've been able to just drop backwards compatibility a few times already now

no muss no fuss

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
my linux distro story is that i discovered that one of my project's dependencies was commonly packaged in a way that didn't work for my project and would result in a crash on startup. i added a configure check to validate that the dependency was configured in a compatible way and would fall back to building it from source if not. multiple package maintainers just patched this check out, resulting in the application crashing on startup.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if they’ll open source Rosetta 2 after they don’t need it anymore. well, I’m sure they won’t because that’s not how they roll, but it would be nice! wouldn’t really help their real competitors because those chips don’t have the extensions for running the x86 memory model, but I bet the qemu kids could get some mileage out of it, and maybe the game emulators!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Slackware on floppy disks was my first distro. :corsair:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if they’ll open source Rosetta 2 after they don’t need it anymore. well, I’m sure they won’t because that’s not how they roll, but it would be nice! wouldn’t really help their real competitors because those chips don’t have the extensions for running the x86 memory model, but I bet the qemu kids could get some mileage out of it, and maybe the game emulators!

it'd definitely be neat to see under the hood of rosetta 2 and figure out what makes it tick, but I imagine that the code is pretty grody

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

on UMSDOS with LOADLIN?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

on UMSDOS with LOADLIN?

Ya goddamn straight. I switched to ext2 shortly after and lilo.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its time for your colonoscopy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

its time for your colonoscopy

literally 2 years away lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

it'd definitely be neat to see under the hood of rosetta 2 and figure out what makes it tick, but I imagine that the code is pretty grody

all code is grody when you understand it

FlapYoJacks posted:

HJ Lu's boot/root? then something that didn't like something about my motherboard, then SLS for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

my linux distro story is that i discovered that one of my project's dependencies was commonly packaged in a way that didn't work for my project and would result in a crash on startup. i added a configure check to validate that the dependency was configured in a compatible way and would fall back to building it from source if not. multiple package maintainers just patched this check out, resulting in the application crashing on startup.

hey, at least it crashed after the distro patched it. instead of, idk, silently producing secret keys suitable for use in a TSA lock. but hey at least debian didn't have to rebuild the entire archive to fix their fuckup!