Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Probably a good choice both in hindsight and the moment, but since 2016 everyone who yawned loudly at the idea of voting for the courts used it as an unearned vindication.

I do think it's funny that all the people earnestly (and to be fair, correctly) arguing that Manchin could never be controlled by the executive will turn around and believe that President Girlboss would've gotten Big Mitch to approve her court picks, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I think that if COVID had killed children at the same rate as it did old people, instead of not at all, we would've seen a massively different response here and world wide. .

Maybe a different response. Thinking it would have been a better response seems . . .optimistic.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

zoux posted:

The Alabama Supreme Court made a boneheaded and unprecedented ruling that "Frozen embryos are children" yesterday -meaning anyone who destroys one is liable for harming a child - and the consequences have been immediate:

https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1760358769060405483

Doesn't seem very pro family to me

Holy poo poo that's bad. For some people IVF is the only way to have children (including M/F partners in many instances).

I feel so bad for people who were going through that who suddenly had everything dropped in front of them. It's not an easy process to go through, especially the women who need multiple injections over the course of months.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sax Mortar posted:

Holy poo poo that's bad. For some people IVF is the only way to have children (including M/F partners in many instances).

I feel so bad for people who were going through that who suddenly had everything dropped in front of them. It's not an easy process to go through, especially the women who need multiple injections over the course of months.

Yeah, that's why the conventional wisdom was that IVF is politically untouchable. No one, we thought, would want to pick a fight with the demographic "couples desperate to have children". But I guess in 2024 there are enough people publicly taking the position that God decides who has children and the people involved do not, for the court to dare to rule this way

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that's why the conventional wisdom was that IVF is politically untouchable. No one, we thought, would want to pick a fight with the demographic "couples desperate to have children". But I guess in 2024 there are enough people publicly taking the position that God decides who has children and the people involved do not, for the court to dare to rule this way

I'm sure many members of the court are happy with this outcome, but it is also most likely the "correct" ruling because the Alabama legislature, Governor, and voters implemented both a constitutional amendment and several laws that explicitly require this.

They did this back when Roe was still the law of the land, so it didn't have any impact at the time, but it was a statewide ballot measure and several different bills passed overwhelmingly by the legislature that led to this outcome for the state.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He cares because he thinks pence betrayed him and he plans to run for a third term after this one (he is delusional). He will pick someone with absolute loyalty. My bet, seriously, is Ivanka.

Eh, Ivanka and/or Jared Kushner have said they want nothing to do with politics any more (I think both have said it). Ivanka mostly wants to go back to being an under-the-radar socialite, Kushner wants to play financier with the Saudis. Reading between the lines, I think a certain amount of that is also just wanting to distance themselves from Trump's public image.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Eh, Ivanka and/or Jared Kushner have said they want nothing to do with politics any more (I think both have said it). Ivanka mostly wants to go back to being an under-the-radar socialite, Kushner wants to play financier with the Saudis. Reading between the lines, I think a certain amount of that is also just wanting to distance themselves from Trump's public image.

Kushner doesn't want to finish off his plan for Peace in the Middle East?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Kith posted:

did this actually happen anywhere?
Yes.

quote:

https://usun.usmission.gov/remarks-...he-middle-east/

Remarks by Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield at the UN Security Council Stakeout Following a Vote on the Situation in the Middle East

"Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield
U.S. Representative to the United Nations
New York, New York
February 20, 2024

AS DELIVERED

Good afternoon, everyone.

You just heard me make the case for a resolution that I believe all of us can agree to. In fact, the points in the proposed resolution have all been articulated by the other 14 members of this Council.

These were not just U.S. ideas. They were all of our ideas that I have heard nearly every member of this Council discuss both privately and publicly.

Ideas that would not put sensitive negotiations in jeopardy, that could lay the foundation for a sustainable peace.

And yet, we were forced into a vote that did not reflect that consensus. You might ask why. I’ll leave that to you to opine on. Perhaps some on the Council did not actually want a resolution to pass.

Because if they did, today’s vote would not have happened. Over the last several weeks, I communicated the United States’ concerns publicly and privately.

We submitted numerous – numerous – rounds of edits. We implored our colleagues not to rush towards failure.

And so, having put forward an alternative path, we intend to take it.

The draft we’ve presented is a forward leaning resolution. And it is one that we intend to work on in good faith with other Council members to ensure it gets over the finish line.

That kind of process was, disappointingly, absent from negotiations on the text we just voted on.

All to say, we are not giving up.

We are eager to continue working with the Council on this proposal: One that would see a temporary ceasefire as soon as practicable, based on the formula of all hostages being released. And one that would get aid into the hands of those Palestinians who so desperately need it.

All told, we intend to do this the right way, so that we can create the right conditions for a safer, more peaceful future. And we will continue to actively engage in the hard work of direct diplomacy on the ground until we reach a final solution."

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27NBwMzk2M

@UnitedNations
Video description:
"Comments to the media by Linda Thomas-Greenfield, Permanent Representative of the United States to the United Nations, on the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm sure many members of the court are happy with this outcome, but it is also most likely the "correct" ruling because the Alabama legislature, Governor, and voters implemented both a constitutional amendment and several laws that explicitly require this.

They did this back when Roe was still the law of the land, so it didn't have any impact at the time, but it was a statewide ballot measure and several different bills passed overwhelmingly by the legislature that led to this outcome for the state.

Is this a deal where they passed a personhood law that covered embryos, or were embryos specifically targeted in legislation?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Byzantine posted:

I do think it's funny that all the people earnestly (and to be fair, correctly) arguing that Manchin could never be controlled by the executive will turn around and believe that President Girlboss would've gotten Big Mitch to approve her court picks, somehow.

Alternatively, in this hypothetical alternate timeline where the Democratic candidate did better in 2016 or the GOP candidate did worse, the GOP might have lost more Senate seats during the 45th president's administration, allowing Dems to take the Senate and hold votes on Hillary's candidates. Alternatively, Mitch might have seen his Supreme Court gambit failing to produce results, and settled for a moderate compromise candidate, rather than risking losing the Senate to Dems without any way to obstruct them from appointing their dream candidates.

Alt-history is rarely a genuinely productive avenue, but it's not difficult to come up with ways in which things could perhaps have gone differently if things were different!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

This doesn't really seem to be a response to anything I said, but if you intended it to be, partisan difference in people voting for the courts is what got Republicans the Senate back from a Democratic supermajority even more than what got them the White House. A McConnell Senate was not a foregone conclusion in 2010 nor was it an irreversible inevitability in 2016.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Is this a deal where they passed a personhood law that covered embryos, or were embryos specifically targeted in legislation?

They passed a constitutional amendment via ballot measure in 2018 that specifically covered "unborn children" under all Alabama law:

quote:

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended; to declare and otherwise affirm that it is the public policy of this state to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life and the rights of unborn children, most importantly the right to life in all manners and measures appropriate and lawful; and to provide that the constitution of this state does not protect the right to abortion or require the funding of abortion.

Additionally, they have several laws specifying that they apply to unborn children regardless of circumstance and the wrongful death law specifically says it applies to "unborn children, regardless of location," which indicates that fertilized embryos are considered "unborn children" under Alabama law.

These have all been on the books for a while, but they couldn't enforce them before and nobody challenged them to confirm that definition until recently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They passed a constitutional amendment via ballot measure in 2018 that specifically covered "unborn children" under all Alabama law:

Additionally, they have several laws specifying that they apply to unborn children regardless of circumstance and the wrongful death law specifically says it applies to "unborn children, regardless of location," which indicates that fertilized embryos are considered "unborn children" under Alabama law.

These have all been on the books for a while, but they couldn't enforce them before and nobody challenged them to confirm that definition until recently.

Here's Nikki Haley agreeing with all that, while noting that her own son was conceived via IVF, apparently not realizing that now providers are not going to be willing to assume the legal liability and will stop offering those services. She is literally supporting a ruling that would've had the effect of her son not existing.

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1760387207020286457

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zoux posted:

Here's Nikki Haley agreeing with all that, while noting that her own son was conceived via IVF, apparently not realizing that now providers are not going to be willing to assume the legal liability and will stop offering those services. She is literally supporting a ruling that would've had the effect of her son not existing.

It's convenient when they reproduce the Republican mindset in microcosm like this.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Main Paineframe posted:

Alternatively, in this hypothetical alternate timeline where the Democratic candidate did better in 2016 or the GOP candidate did worse, the GOP might have lost more Senate seats during the 45th president's administration, allowing Dems to take the Senate and hold votes on Hillary's candidates. Alternatively, Mitch might have seen his Supreme Court gambit failing to produce results, and settled for a moderate compromise candidate, rather than risking losing the Senate to Dems without any way to obstruct them from appointing their dream candidates.

Alt-history is rarely a genuinely productive avenue, but it's not difficult to come up with ways in which things could perhaps have gone differently if things were different!

Since it was replacing Scalia at the very least the conservative wing of the SC would have been down a member if McConnell decided to keep blocking nominations by a Democratic president

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Levitate posted:

Since it was replacing Scalia at the very least the conservative wing of the SC would have been down a member if McConnell decided to keep blocking nominations by a Democratic president

Yeah, this is how it was for the last year of the Obama administration. The court was 4-4 and issued a number of evenly split decisions. When that happens it's more or less the same as if they had declined to take the case- the appealed decision stands but doesn't become nationwide precedent

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sax Mortar posted:

yeah, i am only around and annoying you because of IVF. I think going after IVF is bigger gently caress up then killing roe because even alot of pro life types are fine with it. My big prolife catholic god parents are cool with IVF.

zoux posted:

I know why, but i dont know why people like her even try anymore. like yeah its about power, but your better off trying to fracture the part and be queen of some faction then taking over this poo poo. all your doing here is losing the moderates who think your good. just lol. I get its a race to the right with the GOP now, but like holy poo poo lady, these people arnt gonna pick you, dont bother with them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and here i thought i was too jaded to experience utter disbelief anymore

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am only around and annoying you because of IVF. I think going after IVF is bigger gently caress up then killing roe because even alot of pro life types are fine with it. My big prolife catholic god parents are cool with IVF.

I know why, but i dont know why people like her even try anymore. like yeah its about power, but your better off trying to fracture the part and be queen of some faction then taking over this poo poo. all your doing here is losing the moderates who think your good. just lol. I get its a race to the right with the GOP now, but like holy poo poo lady, these people arnt gonna pick you, dont bother with them.

I think they've convinced themselves they believe it. The people who are faking it are slowly being either assimilated or driven out

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New poll from Quinnipiac with some interesting results - especially on Israel.

Highlights:

- Topline numbers are 49 - 45 Biden/Trump.

- Majorities think both Biden and Trump are not mentally fit to be President.

- Trump has a clear lead on physical fitness to be President (60 - 37).

quote:

Physical fitness:

Biden: 35 percent say yes, 62 percent say no;
Trump: 60 percent say yes, 37 percent say no.

Mental fitness:

Biden: 34 percent say yes, 64 percent say no;
Trump: 48 percent say yes, 51 percent say no.

- However, Biden has large leads on whether he has the temperament to be President and whether they are ethical/cares about average Americans.

Trump has an astonishingly low ethical score even among his own supporters.

quote:

Ethical:

Biden: 49 percent say yes, 47 percent say no;
Trump: 29 percent say yes, 68 percent say no.

Cares about average Americans:

Biden: 51 percent say yes, 47 percent say no;
Trump: 42 percent say yes, 57 percent say no.

Kind of personality and temperament it takes to serve effectively as president:

Biden: 49 percent say yes, 50 percent say no;
Trump: 37 percent say yes, 61 percent say no.

- 56% support more aid to Ukraine.
- 83% think NATO is important.

- A solid majority think we need to continue to support Israel, but at the same time there is a surprising 48 oppose/46 support split on whether we should send more military aid to Israel.

- Biden's strongest issue is his handling of the war in Ukraine (47 - 48)
- Biden's weakest issue is immigration (29 - 63)

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3890

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 21, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

That's pretty typical for Haley. She knows what she's saying she just doesn't care. The only real difference between her and trump is that she's smart enough and sane enough to realize she wants to retire at some point, and he isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Highlights:

- Topline numbers are 49 - 45 Biden/Trump.

- Majorities think both Biden and Trump are not mentally fit to be President.

- Trump has a clear lead on physical fitness to be President (60 - 37).

- However, Biden has large leads on whether he has the temperament to be President and whether they are ethical/cares about average Americans.

Trump has an astonishingly low ethical score even among his own supporters.

- 56% support more aid to Ukraine.
- 83% think NATO is important.

- A solid majority think we need to continue to support Israel, but at the same time there is a surprising 48 oppose/46 support split on whether we should send more military aid to Israel.

- Biden's strongest issue is his handling of the war in Ukraine (47 - 48)
- Biden's weakest issue is immigration (29 - 63)

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3890

This one still has Trump winning a fifth of black voters.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like yeah its about power, but your better off trying to fracture the part and be queen of some faction then taking over this poo poo. all your doing here is losing the moderates who think your good. just lol. I get its a race to the right with the GOP now, but like holy poo poo lady, these people arnt gonna pick you, dont bother with them.

She’s just positioning herself to be picked next election. And after that primary, she’ll drift to the center. Standard stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheDisreputableDog posted:

She’s just positioning herself to be picked next election. And after that primary, she’ll drift to the center. Standard stuff.

yeah, but its still really stupid in my opinion.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

So kind of jury-rigging it into a parliamentary system?

I like voting for a local person to actually go out and represent an area, but that's basically already dead as a concept. And this is makes it slightly easier to let a third party in ; you could do something like Germany did and give people seats if they manage to carve off 5% of the popular vote (or other small number, I'm not gonna google what the Greens needed to get a seat at the table).

Yeah! I've been in a FPTP voting system, I'd like to get a try at a parliamentary system. I think it would be fascinating to see what kind of minor parties could gain traction in the US under such a system! Or, y'know, horrifying?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, but its still really stupid in my opinion.

She is, probably correctly, calculating that anyone listening to her closely enough to care about such things is not going to be one of her voters anyway.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Holding a Supreme Court seat open for an entire presidential term is quite different from using the fig leaf of an upcoming election to hold it for a year. I have a few older family members who completely bought the "let the voters decide!" argument, even if everyone here knew Mitch was full of poo poo before he went on to prove it conclusively with Trump.

I think it is a bigger stretch to assume Hilary could never fill a Supreme Court vacancy than to assume she could have. But since it's a counterfactual we'll never know.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dull Fork posted:

Yeah! I've been in a FPTP voting system, I'd like to get a try at a parliamentary system. I think it would be fascinating to see what kind of minor parties could gain traction in the US under such a system! Or, y'know, horrifying?

The Caucasians Hanging Urban Dwellers party of course.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

A prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite a man charged with murder in NYC because Bragg is soft on crime (and probably because he went after Trump as well.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/21/nyregion/soho-hotel-murder-bragg-arizona.html

NYT posted:

Criticizing Bragg, Arizona Refuses to Send Murder Suspect to New York
The Maricopa County attorney in Arizona said she would fight to keep a man who authorities believe bludgeoned a woman to death in a New York City hotel.

By Chelsia Rose Marcius and Jonah E. Bromwich
Feb. 21, 2024
Updated 3:31 p.m. ET
Prosecutors in Arizona refused to extradite a 26-year-old man accused of killing a woman at a New York City hotel this month because of what they said was the Manhattan district attorney’s lenient treatment of violent criminals.

Rachel Mitchell, the Maricopa County attorney in Arizona, said at a news conference on Wednesday that her team would not work with Alvin L. Bragg, the Manhattan district attorney who is expected to charge the man, Raad Almansoori, in the killing of 38-year-old Denisse Oleas-Arancibia.

After hotel workers on Feb. 8 discovered the body of Ms. Oleas-Arancibia in a rented room at SoHo 54, Mr. Almansoori flew to Arizona, New York police officials said on Wednesday. He was arrested there after stabbing a McDonald’s restaurant employee on Feb. 18. Mr. Almansoori has been in custody in Maricopa County since.

“Having observed the treatment of violent criminals in the New York area by the Manhattan D.A. there, Alvin Bragg,” Ms. Mitchell told reporters. “I think it’s safer to keep him here and keep him in custody, so that he cannot be out doing this to individuals either in our state, county, or anywhere in the United States.”

Police unions and Republican officials in New York City and nationwide have complained that too many dangerous people are being released on bail before trial, and that Mr. Bragg has failed to prosecute them as aggressively as he might. But there was no indication that Mr. Bragg’s office would not seek to keep the suspect behind bars.

On Wednesday, Emily Tuttle, a spokeswoman for Mr. Bragg, called Ms. Mitchell’s remarks an insult.

“It is deeply disturbing that D.A. Mitchell is playing political games in a murder investigation,” Ms. Tuttle said in a statement. She also noted that murders and shootings had dropped since Mr. Bragg took office.

“New York’s murder rate is less than half that of Phoenix, Ariz., because of the hard work of the N.Y.P.D. and all of our law enforcement partners,” Ms. Tuttle said. “It is a slap in the face to them and to the victim in our case to refuse to allow us to seek justice and full accountability for a New Yorker’s death.”

The gesture by Ms. Mitchell, a Republican who has held office since April 2022, is an extraordinary breach of criminal justice norms and appears to be a continuation of an effort by the party controlled by former President Donald J. Trump to embarrass Mr. Bragg. His office is set to try a criminal case accusing Mr. Trump of orchestrating the cover-up of a hush-money payment to a porn star in an attempt to conceal her story of an affair before the 2016 election.

After Mr. Trump was indicted in Manhattan last March, prominent Republicans including Representative Jim Jordan of Ohio, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, held a hearing that they said would highlight crime in New York City. They painted Mr. Bragg as a hypocrite who was focused on a political crusade rather than bad behavior in his backyard.

A correction was made on Feb. 21, 2024: An earlier version of this article misidentified Rachel Mitchell. She is the Maricopa County attorney, not the district attorney of Maricopa County.
Has anything like this ever happened before? I mean in the modern era, I'm sure there must have been cases involving the Fugitive Slave Act and such.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

A prosecutor in Arizona is refusing to extradite a man charged with murder in NYC because Bragg is soft on crime (and probably because he went after Trump as well.)
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/21/nyregion/soho-hotel-murder-bragg-arizona.html

Has anything like this ever happened before? I mean in the modern era, I'm sure there must have been cases involving the Fugitive Slave Act and such.

I know of one local case that's.... not exactly the same thing. In 2011-2012 Gov. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island refused to extradite Jason Pleau to the Feds over a murder charge due to his opposition of the death penalty. Was a big thing, Chafee lost but won, guy got life in the end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The 46% of Dems thinking Biden is too old to serve another term and over 2/3rds majorities in every age group except the elderly is pretty funny.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

In my view, you're right to be skeptical of polling. A quick poll of this thread will illustrate the point quite nicely. How many people in here answer calls from unknown numbers? if you do how many listen to the robotic spiel of every caller, patiently wait for them to finish their spiel to figure out whether it's a poll or not and then, if it is a poll answer it?

I personally don't answer calls from unknown numbers. A few situations where you might:

1) you are currently looking for work and have put out job applications and are waiting for a call back
2) you are bored and lonely, so getting someone on the phone to talk to is a rare treat
3) you're so full of piss and vinegar that getting a random person on the phone to scream at is a rare treat

And of course, these are all just guesses. By definition, you don't know the demographics, education, income level, employment situation, or anything else about people who don't answer your survey.

Usually the only things that are reported are sample size and margin of error. And that margin of error is based on untestable, but likely wrong, assumptions about the sample. This is not a solved problem, and I've seen no evidence that we are anywhere close to solving it.

That's not to say that polls are useless. Sometimes they're spot on. The problem is that we don't know how to reliably differentiate polls that are spot on from polls that are way off because our methodology is hosed.

Yeah this is a good analysis. My feeling is that since this Trump era of US politics has come upon us, political polling has become unreliable in ways that are difficult to predict or understand.

Some of that is due to Trump himself and the type of zealous voters that he attracts and how they do not fit neatly into likely voter models of even the recent past.

But a lot is also due to how political polling has failed to settle into an accurate and reliable methodology that works in our current mobile phone and social media world. Like you I never answer unknown numbers except for the same type of rare situations you described. This means that people like me, which encompasses the huge portion of reliably voting and politically engaged people who vote and donate on BOTH sides of the aisle, are largely missed by polling. So how good are the samples that they are looking at, regardless of size? How skewed?

I think that some things like large trends are probably still very valid, and I do not want to be the guy that simply rejects data that I do not like, but there seem to be a lot of issues.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

The Alabama Supreme Court made a boneheaded and unprecedented ruling that "Frozen embryos are children" yesterday -meaning anyone who destroys one is liable for harming a child - and the consequences have been immediate:

https://twitter.com/rmc031/status/1760358769060405483

Doesn't seem very pro family to me

This is just the first of many shoes to drop. Even without laws being passed, fertility/IVF clinics realizing they could be on the hook for civil wrongful death judgments for millions or criminal manslaughter beefs if some nimrod lets their embryos thaw or drops a rack of tubes, big effects like clinics closing their doors or moving their operations out of state could start to happen immedately.

Or charging twice as much because of new insurance and infrastructure expenses to cover the new contingencies.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I know it's a stunt but what are they even keeping him arrested on if not to extradite him? Can you just keep a dude in jail indefinitely on an out of state warrant by refusing to extradite him to the state where he could be actually processed?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

zoux posted:

I think that if COVID had killed children at the same rate as it did old people, instead of not at all, we would've seen a massively different response here and world wide. The fact that most of the deaths were elderly - many elderly and invisible - people cared less. Fully a quarter of the Texas nursing home population died of COVID, that's an unimaginable holocaust if not for the fact that we put people in those places so we don't have to think about them while they are dying.

Counterpoint: nothing changed after Sandy Hook, or the dozens of other child slaughters that have happened since. America doesn't give a poo poo about children, adults, anyone except Business as Usual and Capital

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

shimmy shimmy posted:

I know it's a stunt but what are they even keeping him arrested on if not to extradite him? Can you just keep a dude in jail indefinitely on an out of state warrant by refusing to extradite him to the state where he could be actually processed?

When he arrived in Arizona, he stabbed someone there too, so they're presumably going to charge him with that.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

shimmy shimmy posted:

I would certainly hope not, but I don't think there's much precedent to go on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zwabu posted:

This is just the first of many shoes to drop. Even without laws being passed, fertility/IVF clinics realizing they could be on the hook for civil wrongful death judgments for millions or criminal manslaughter beefs if some nimrod lets their embryos thaw or drops a rack of tubes, big effects like clinics closing their doors or moving their operations out of state could start to happen immedately.

Or charging twice as much because of new insurance and infrastructure expenses to cover the new contingencies.

what i am curious about is if another state does it, like a Okalahoma or texas.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what i am curious about is if another state does it, like a Okalahoma or texas.

I feel like it is almost inevitable. It no longer matters whether or not the GOP powers that be want these cases or lawsuits to happen anymore. Dobbs has opened the Pandora’s box that lets any state with wingnut justices go this route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Gyges posted:

It was never a hoax that Russia did some interference. The hoax was that Hillary Clinton was martyred by that dastardly Russia, and that it wasn't just one of ten thousand mostly self inflicted cuts that killed her campaign.

I think we can pretty conclusively say that this did happen, though!
At a certain point, I think we can decisively say "Donald Trump had to cheat to beat Hillary Clinton" and I arrived at that conclusion years ago.
It wasn't a hoax. Hillary did indeed get robbed. It's okay, there's no shame in admitting it.