Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It'd be sort of neat if they were planning to give JLA/Avengers the omnibus treatment with a bunch of the unproduced pages from the 1983 version.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/jla-avengers-1983-oral-history-part-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

These are the collections I currently have. I'll be happy to put them on a lower shelf out of view and replace with a couple omnis. The trades don't have any cohesive design and the spines are awful. And the paper quality of these early trades leaves much to be desired.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Huh, seeing those makes me realize that they're also not including Wildcats/X-Men or Gen 13/Generation X.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Neat but seems a bit odd they're leaving JLA/Avengers out of this

Codependent Poster posted:

Huh, seeing those makes me realize that they're also not including Wildcats/X-Men or Gen 13/Generation X.

Funny thing is they could stick those in a volume with the various DC(and Wildstorm) crossovers with Alien and Predator since Disney owns those now and has Marvel handling the comics for them

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Something must be going on with Marvel if we’re getting these and all the licensed books like Transformers and Godzilla.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Open Marriage Night posted:

Something must be going on with Marvel if we’re getting these and all the licensed books like Transformers and Godzilla.

My guess is because Disney has been hemorrhaging money the last couple years they've started to be more willing to haggle for things like their old crossover and licensed books to open more revenue streams

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Huh? Marvel literally doesn't have any hold on their TF books since they were entirely licensed. Whoever holds the TF license can reprint those as much as they want as long as it doesn't include any Marvel-owned characters. I don't know about Godzilla, but I assume it's similar.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Marvel is the one publishing these collections and they don’t have any sort of publishing rights with those properties.

Marvel’s Godzilla was pretty much a tour of the Marvel Universe, so it’s never been able to be reprinted by anyone other than Marvel/Toei.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel got the rights back to reprint ROM, Micronauts, and Godzilla. But Skybound is reprinting Tranformers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Disney is a company that had $89 billion dollars in revenue in 2023. They've turned a gross profit of over $20 billion dollars every year in recent memory, and have bounced back from "low" profits in 2020-2021 because they're losing less money on streaming and theme park/cruises have bounced back post-pandemic. Marvel Publishing doesn't even get its own line in their quarterly reports. I don't think the success or failure of Marvel Comics is really on their radar unless specifically the publishing division "hemorrhages money" or otherwise gets involved with an actual mainstream controversy.

The Godzilla license being sorted for an Omnibus reprint probably has more to do with Toei doing a bunch of stuff for Godzilla's 70th Anniversary this year. The Marvel/DC crossover reprints, I assume, have more to do with relations warming up with creative/executive turnover/ship-jumping between both companies since the early 2000s, and the fact that they worked together productively last year for a short-run JLA/Avengers reprint to memorialize George Perez's passing.

IDW had basically All of the Hasbro Licenses up until recently (and unrelatedly still has the Godzilla license, along with keeping My Little Pony and D&D from Hasbro) and as mentioned, Skybound/Image got the GI Joe & Transformers licenses. IDW tried things with a bunch of other recently-expired Hasbro licenses (ROM, Micronauts, plus Action Man, Clue, Go-Bots, Inhumanoids, Jem & The Holograms, M.A.S.K. Magic the Gathering, Visionaries) and none of those really took off, so they didn't renew the licenses. Boom picked up Magic The Gathering, and everything else is just sort of lying fallow, but Marvel picked up ROM and Micronauts, seemingly just to reprint the 1980s comis.

I can believe there was some sort of higher-up discussion/sign-off the Marvel/DC omnibi if for no other reason than people at Disney and WBD care about Wonder Woman and Spider-Man and I guess there is a non-zero chance of "Batman beat Captain America!!! ...in a comic from almost thirty years ago, now back in print!" will somehow get covered somewhere beyond CBR and Bleeding Cool? But I also have doubt that anyone higher than CB Cebulski, John Nee, Jim Lee, et al. paid that much more attention to the news than they did about like... approving the Happy Meal toys for the latest Marvel movie, or the sculpts on McFarlane Toys Batman figures.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 14, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is all just a lead up to David Zaslav selling DC to Disney for a tax write off

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is because Disney has been hemorrhaging money the last couple years they've started to be more willing to haggle for things like their old crossover and licensed books to open more revenue streams

I can only hope this means we can finally get a good sequel to Marvel vs Capcom 3

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Trademarks don't renew themselves and its been about that long for the amalgam characters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Thranguy posted:

Trademarks don't renew themselves and its been about that long for the amalgam characters.

Look. Maybe someone was just really passionate about Night Trasher, OK!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Thranguy posted:

Trademarks need to be reaffirmed/renewed every ten years under current laws, and the original runs of Amalgam Comics were published 27 and 28 years ago, respectively. I don't think the collected editions are much newer than that, and are at least 25 years old.

I also can't find any record of DC or Marvel registering trademarks for "Amalgam" or any of the Amalgam characters, so I don't think "renewing trademarks" is a factor here.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Look. Maybe someone was just really passionate about Night Trasher, OK!
Marvel abandoned all of their 1990s trademarks on Night Thrasher in 2002 , reapplied for it in 2008, and then abandoned trying to register it again in 2012. Any passion for Night Thrasher is clearly not coming from the legal department.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Marvel abandoned all of their 1990s trademarks on Night Thrasher in 2002 , reapplied for it in 2008, and then abandoned trying to register it again in 2012. Any passion for Night Thrasher is clearly not coming from the legal department.

Hopefully some high level Disney executive is just really excited about skateboarding.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bought my first physical sub in almost 20 years for Ultimate Spider-Man. Got issue two in today a day early. That was not how it worked back in the early '00s for sure. But I'll take it. And it's really good!

The first meeting between Spider-Man and Shocker is hilarious. This Peter is very naive for a middle age dad.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 21, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Best part of the book easily

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hopefully my comic shop hasn't run out by the time I get there an hour after it opens!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I'm getting severe fomo from these ultimate titles. My local shop is only getting (starting with ultimate BP) enough cover A's for their pull lists and maybe a couple variant covers for general sale. I had to call a few weeks ago specifically request a cover A for uxm.

Most of my comics are digital so it's not a big deal, but drat it's crazy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If the Imgur upload thing was working I'd post a pic of the USM variant I got, lol. I did not expect to buy variants for this series but this reversal take on the classic You Just Hit the Jackpot scene was too funny to pass up.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
USM is so, so good, I wish every issue was extra-sized. Uncle Ben & JJJ homies for life. Is ultimate Captain Britain Brian or James Braddock?

Also saw a solicit for spectacular spider-man that said Miles and Kamala were going on a date - did Miles and Tiana break up at some point? I dropped the Miles Morales title from my pull list bc Rabble was such a lame villain

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
My comic shop made the mistake of under-ordering USM 1 but make sure to get enough for issue 2.

Avengers Twilight ended up doing not as good as expected, is that the case everywhere or just Chicago?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

There was a couple of hours there that issue 2 of USM was on Unlimited, presumably by mistake, but alas they've fixed it.

X-O posted:

I bought my first physical sub in almost 20 years for Ultimate Spider-Man. Got issue two in today a day early. That was not how it worked back in the early '00s for sure. But I'll take it. And it's really good!

The first meeting between Spider-Man and Shocker is hilarious. This Peter is very naive for a middle age dad.

It was a fun reversal from the original USM, to be sure.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Funniest Herman's been in years, I'm rooting for that guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

srypher posted:

USM is so, so good, I wish every issue was extra-sized. Uncle Ben & JJJ homies for life. Is ultimate Captain Britain Brian or James Braddock?

Henri Dugarry, he's actually French.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

X-O posted:

Henri Dugarry, he's actually French.

That confused me too, I thought for sure he was Jamie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does anyone know a good reading guide to Krakoa era x-men?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Covok posted:

Does anyone know a good reading guide to Krakoa era x-men?

I looked through this and it seems pretty great.

https://www.crushingkrisis.com/defi...ding-order/#dox

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Thank you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

USM was good! I think our friend Shocker missed his calling as an actor! Very convincing both times. Fun reasoning behind his classic costume look, I was wondering what the reason was going to be without having his wrestling/entertainment history.

Gorgeous book to look at so I'm hoping we get a real action scene, a real fight before too long!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Steve Foxe had become one of my favorite writers in a very short time but by god do I ever regret paying money for all issues of this Spider-Woman Gang War poo poo. I had thought Foxe and Spider-Woman would be a great fit, but Christ. Imagine the worst thing they could do to Jessica. Have you imagined it? No, not that thing. Not quite that thing. But that thing, yes. Well this book does it brazenly, unflinchingly, unironically, shouts it with its whole chest. Fully punishes any readers who gave any poo poo about the character in the last decade, and just flat-out ends going "Well that sure sucked for everyone, didn't it? Aiight, 'till next time."

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I've been a bit lenient with my pull lists lately and this'll teach me to be a bit more discerning!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Rather liked Alien: Black, White and Blood. First story has some gorgeous art and is focused on the Space Commies from Gibson's unused A3 script, while the third does for Mother what Bishop did for androids. The second story was the weakest of the bunch but the idea of rich morons paying to go on safari and getting theirs always appeals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CrushingKrisis is very good and thorough with his reading orders. Very well researched. I might not agree with every little placement of stuff but there's always a valid reason for where it is. He does the work.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah I thought the story twist for Spider-Woman was gross and crass, I'm done.

Guardians annual was really good and a nice capstone to the Grootfall stuff, nice send off for one of the characters too.

Ultimate Spider is drat good and I want more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

Steve Foxe had become one of my favorite writers in a very short time but by god do I ever regret paying money for all issues of this Spider-Woman Gang War poo poo. I had thought Foxe and Spider-Woman would be a great fit, but Christ. Imagine the worst thing they could do to Jessica. Have you imagined it? No, not that thing. Not quite that thing. But that thing, yes. Well this book does it brazenly, unflinchingly, unironically, shouts it with its whole chest. Fully punishes any readers who gave any poo poo about the character in the last decade, and just flat-out ends going "Well that sure sucked for everyone, didn't it? Aiight, 'till next time."

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I've been a bit lenient with my pull lists lately and this'll teach me to be a bit more discerning!

Did they kill her kid or something? They already broke up her and Roger a while back right?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

Did they kill her kid or something? They already broke up her and Roger a while back right?

Gerry was aged-up into an adult and brainwashed into evil by HYDRA

Covok
May 27, 2013

drat, I forgot how House of X and Powers of X was. Like, drat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Gerry was aged-up into an adult and brainwashed into evil by HYDRA

Killing him might've been better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Why do comic book writers hate children so much. I mean, the only ones that have gotten to stay kids are the Richards kids and that has a big asterisk because they also got aged up in their convenient time outside reality. I'll throw them a bone I guess since I think Valeria was supposed to be like 4 pre-Secret Wars and like every artist just drew her as like 10 anyway.