Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Bumhead posted:

The Plasma Rifle might as well be called the Panic Rifle for me.

Visibility doesn't matter in most situations where I'm using it, because typically I just want to keep moving, fire off a load of damage and hope the thing is dead by the time I take my finger off the trigger. Basically it's my Archville defense system, or if you find yourself mobbed by poo poo and just need a super quick clearing to get yourself out.

Absolutely right. It's the best weapon to have for close-combat ambushes, at least the ones that involve hitscanners where the extra delay in firing the BFG or super shotty is gonna cost you more health.

Also since I accidentally page-sniped, check this out:

The Kins posted:

Excellent. A developer is in the Youtube replies threatening that the full version will solve "all the gameplay issues" and be more than just an interesting fragment of Brazillian gamedev history. We'll see.

In other news, a friendly PSA from your local indie game publisher:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1760127017046131069

EDIT: Also also: Boltgun is hitting Xbox and PC Game Pass on March 5th, should that be a service you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2446550/STAR_WARS_Battlefront_Classic_Collection/

Thread relevant?

Aspyr doing it and it's out in 3 weeks? Mad. That Tomb Raider collection they did is rad though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wonder what that'll do that they haven't already done in the last couple years? Or that hasn't been done with mods wrt the PC version?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
oops hopdang I posted my gunchat in the wadthread

CHAINGUN CHAT I'm never lackin, always double tappin. Often alternating between mouse and left pinky CTRL to fire. Imps shotgunners caco/PEs skellys all get chained. I think Projectile Hell had the chaingun arachnotrons, no thanks to those guys! I pistol as much as I can if they give you a shotgun but few early shells. Some maps I never get to use chaingun, then find I have 400 bullets at the end to throw at a cyberdemon or w/e

Masterminds are boring ho hum unless they're not (ie open space/ no BFG), then they're awful. I do like plasmaing her stupid foot when she can't negotiate a corner. I love the PWARNG sound. Vision has never really been an issue for me? I never feel cooler than when I know exactly how many seconds I should hold fire down to kill something and it dies on the last plasma bolt. Like pumping gas to the flat dollar amount. Eat my Blue

I think I'd like a big fuckoff map where you ONLY have your trusty plasma rifle, ALIEN style dark vent creeping conservation of cells etc. Maybe a souped up rocket launcher at the very end for the Boss

One thing I've done lately is when playing freelook is I will set it back to normal for a tough BFG section, as looking freely seems to completely gently caress that gun up.

RE: alt-fire, I remember really liking the super shotgun in the last version of BROODAL DOOMB I played. The single barrel fire came in handy, like 2 shells 2 imp on either side of the screen real quick. I also appreciated having a railgun. Tearing around, lining up caco clusters and taking em all out with one sl00g is super satisfying.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Me, whispering a little too loudly: I think this guy likes the plasma gun a little too much

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
(Me whispering to date while watching Doom when Doom first shows up) "That's Doom"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Milo and POTUS posted:

Me, whispering a little too loudly: I think this guy likes the plasma gun a little too much

It's a good gun, Milo and POTUS

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

(Me whispering to date while watching Doom when Doom first shows up) "That's Doom"

Doom looks into the camera lens and directly towards you. He says "I am Doom". Tom Cruise then walks up to him with a case. "What's in there?" asks Doom. "Doom" replies Cruise. "Doomsday" by MF DOOM begins playing as the credits roll

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The Kins posted:

In other news, a friendly PSA from your local indie game publisher:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1760127017046131069

I'm not sure if there's anything left I can buy. Guess we'll find out this weekend!

wait no I don't own Iron Lung yet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Brolander posted:

It's a good gun, Milo and POTUS

I was an early defender of the plasma gun!

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm not sure if there's anything left I can buy. Guess we'll find out this weekend!

wait no I don't own Iron Lung yet.

I really am just kind of in a doldrums between stuff I already got and stuff I want but isn't out yet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Brolander posted:

One thing I've done lately is when playing freelook is I will set it back to normal for a tough BFG section, as looking freely seems to completely gently caress that gun up.

Freelook was a giant issue for multiplayer when the first source ports were made. Initially features like this were shoved in with absolutely no consideration of how it changed gameplay. Turns out the being able to shoot the BFG ball & rockets at players feet massively changed the balance.

Don’t most multiplayer ports force the BFG to be completely horizontal; IE you can’t change the vertical angle of the shot?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Doom looks into the camera lens and directly towards you. He says "I am Doom". Tom Cruise then walks up to him with a case. "What's in there?" asks Doom. "Doom" replies Cruise. "Doomsday" by MF DOOM begins playing as the credits roll

Doom

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Convex posted:

A scattering of nerds stick around for the expected post credit screen.

The cinema goes dark again.

Camera slowly pans across a graveyard, a low mist hanging just above the dirt. A crypt emerges into view. The camera pans through the crypt before arriving at a single, open grave. Focusing through the mist, we see 2 sticks of dynamite and a pitch fork.

A voice booms through the speakers. " I live.. agaaaaain"

"OH MY GOD", screams one of the nerds, pointing. "THAT'S JOHN BLOOD!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bumhead posted:

A scattering of nerds stick around for the expected post credit screen.

The cinema goes dark again.

Camera slowly pans across a graveyard, a low mist hanging just above the dirt. A crypt emerges into view. The camera pans through the crypt before arriving at a single, open grave. Focusing through the mist, we see 2 sticks of dynamite and a pitch fork.

A voice booms through the speakers. " I live.. agaaaaain"

"OH MY GOD", screams one of the nerds, pointing. "THAT'S JOHN BLOOD!"

The boys are back in town skeewhoa.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCZ07hwoZ4

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

david_a posted:

Freelook was a giant issue for multiplayer when the first source ports were made. Initially features like this were shoved in with absolutely no consideration of how it changed gameplay. Turns out the being able to shoot the BFG ball & rockets at players feet massively changed the balance.

Don’t most multiplayer ports force the BFG to be completely horizontal; IE you can’t change the vertical angle of the shot?

I’d believe that if it’s true. This reminds me of an issue I mentioned on the Eviternity discord where Eviternity II’s cracked sky effect with multiple skyboxes won’t render properly in DSDA-Doom’s hardware renderer. It turns out that’s only an issue when mouselook is enabled, as the renderer changes its behavior when you can arbitrarily change where you look vertically. All of which makes me increasingly convinced that the no-mouselook-in-Doom people may have been right all along.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never felt the need for mouselook, and it definitely looks better I think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

me booting up the steam deck after work

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was an early defender of the plasma gun!

It's cool just maybe thought you were implying I suck the plasma gun off which is definitely not my bag baby, I swear to god baby it's not :austin:

In Training posted:

I've never felt the need for mouselook, and it definitely looks better I think.

These days I'm not using it, think I switched back with Sigil 2 so as to not cheat the shooty buttons. Those wads leads to a funny kind of running where you stare parallel at the wall checking for Evil Eye Gaps, I had to make myself stop doing it once I moved on to a new mapset

buuut otoh it's so nice being able to meaningfully lead rockets/plasma where something is going to be, or where you guess it will. It sort of happens anyway sometimes with autoaim but I like the control

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My "I don't regularly perform fellatio on the plasma gun from id software's 1993 masterpiece Doom" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:boom:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

I wonder what that'll do that they haven't already done in the last couple years? Or that hasn't been done with mods wrt the PC version?
IIRC the two additional characters from the Xbox DLC can't be perfectly recreated with mods due to some limitation of the PC release or other. So there's that.

Outside of that? Gamepad support on PC, splitscreen play and presumably better Steam Deck support.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I cannot play Doom without vlook. Like, psychologically. There is something about the way it changes the relationship between mouse movements and camera movements that causes my brain to short-circuit.

I swear to God I gave it an honest try for Heartland and it was not happening. Could not finish the WAD.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, for me mouselook is a QOL improvement like high resolution and fps and all that. I know the game didn't originally have it but I don't care, it makes me enjoy it more.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I cannot play Doom without vlook. Like, psychologically. There is something about the way it changes the relationship between mouse movements and camera movements that causes my brain to short-circuit.

I swear to God I gave it an honest try for Heartland and it was not happening. Could not finish the WAD.

yeah my brain has been trained that when the mouse moves in up/down directions, the camera is supposed to move in those directions, and when it doesn't do that in doom my brain is like what is happening

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That's why the truly correct way to play Doom is where mouse movement on the Y-axis moves you forward and backward

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Volte posted:

That's why the truly correct way to play Doom is where mouse movement on the Y-axis moves you forward and backward

do you an infinite mousepad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just play doom with keyboard only, constantly unable to finely aim at what Im pointing at.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Why would you try that for heartland of all wads? That is not one built around restricting vertical look, it's quite explicitly built around verticality. Do you mean something like Memento Mori 2?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

*hears a bunch of banging coming from the designated computer room since it's 1993*
Don't come in, I'm playing doom!

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I feel like I play better in Doom without vlook. One less dimension to worry about so I can put more focus into movement

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

It's the way the original Doom EXE worked! You couldn't turn it all the way off either, unless you used something like Novert

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's probably because I only started playing FPS's in like, 2008, but I can do Wolf3D without mouselook (though I'd quite prefer to have vertical mouse movement turned off), but once verticality becomes a thing like in Doom I kinda need it. I can and have played without, even keyboard only, but I find it feels very limiting. I think part of it is I don't necessarily trust autoaim, I want my shots to go where I point them, and seeing rockets veer off at something I didn't want to aim at but happens to be closer and just barely in the target lock zone gets me heated.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Using the arrow keys with alt for strafe is still bizarrely natural to me. I'm very indifferent to vlook in doom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jehde posted:

Using the arrow keys with alt for strafe is still bizarrely natural to me. I'm very indifferent to vlook in doom.

Except holding up, left and alt didn't move me diagonally forwards as somehow left and up cancelled each other out. loving computers, I never got why that happened

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Except holding up, left and alt didn't move me diagonally forwards as somehow left and up cancelled each other out. loving computers, I never got why that happened

That happened with some old keyboards not letting you use ALT and more than one key. It should work today with any modern one

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rocket Pan posted:

Why would you try that for heartland of all wads? That is not one built around restricting vertical look, it's quite explicitly built around verticality. Do you mean something like Memento Mori 2?

No, it was Heartland, I remember this very specifically. The y-shear had been doing my head in for, I think, similar reasons, and when I came here to whine about it someone helpfully suggested it might be a good opportunity to learn to live without vlook.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

That happened with some old keyboards not letting you use ALT and more than one key. It should work today with any modern one

Strangest thing is that up, right and alt worked just fine. It was only going forward and left that didn't work :iiam:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

No, it was Heartland, I remember this very specifically. The y-shear had been doing my head in for, I think, similar reasons, and when I came here to whine about it someone helpfully suggested it might be a good opportunity to learn to live without vlook.

To clarify, the thing with Heartland is that is built for the Eternity engine only, so you have to bear the quirks of that source port, like the weird shearing it had with vertical camera movement. It wasn't ideal, but I played it with vertical movement, because I am the same, I played hundreds of hours of Doom with vertical mouse look and now I'm not going to go back to the traditional system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I'm the opposite, i cannot abide by vertical mouselook and a lack of autoaim when a zdoom project requires it. It just feels odd and runs counter to my expectations of having to position myself so the autoaim can target and hit turreted enemies etc. Switching back and forth between doom and more modern games doesn't feel unnatural in the slightest.