Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

"Would you mind taking this totally optional, unnecessary medication that can have nasty side-effects so we'll allow you an inch of freedom?" loving weird and gross. These people do not need to be raising kids.

E: not saying I have anything against birth control, but there are far better ways to talk about this. Forcing someone to take meds they don't want is nasty.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Shanghaied posted:

We use a brush for the dishes. The only people I know who wash dishes with sponges are Brits, and it just seems, I don't know, less hygienic than a brush, because of porous material and all that.

We use sponges...

I use sponges for dishes, terry cloths for random cleaning like outside the toilets and dusting, and an iron brush to scrub cat messes out of the carpet.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I once talked to some guy who worked in a commercial kitchen, who said that most home kitchens would fail commercial kitchen inspections, and even his own kitchen at home likely wouldn't pass, and as long as your home kitchen is reasonably clean it's completely fine. No idea if its true though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

"Would you mind taking this totally optional, unnecessary medication that can have nasty side-effects so we'll allow you an inch of freedom?" loving weird and gross. These people do not need to be raising kids.

E: not saying I have anything against birth control, but there are far better ways to talk about this. Forcing someone to take meds they don't want is nasty.

I gotta say as someone who grew up bored and feral in the sticks where the only thing to do within five hours' walking distance was rip poo poo out of an abandoned farmhouse, I really wish someone had encouraged me to have a baby at 16 and given me more cars to crash. hosed up that they call this America

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 21, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When my dish sponges get too gross i cut them up and use them as birth control.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Desert Bus posted:

When my dish sponges get too gross i cut them up and use them as birth control.

Well I sure wouldn't have sex with somebody with gross sponges, so that tracks.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Cut is a goldmine of human misery lately:

I Think My Husband Is Trashing My Novel on Goodreads!

quote:

Dear Emily,
After many years of struggle, I recently published my latest novel. Great news — it’s a hit!
Well, it’s not a massive hit, but it has gotten very good reviews, has won a few awards, and has sold more copies than both of my other books combined. With all these wonderful things happening for my career, I know I shouldn’t dwell on the negativity I have received on the internet. But I can’t help it. There has been so much viciousness toward the book — some of it quite personal — on Twitter, Goodreads, Amazon, and other corners of the internet. All of the hatred has driven me to tears more than once.
Through it all, my husband, who is also a writer, has been so supportive. He was by my side during the long and arduous writing process, happily clinked Champagne glasses with me as the book started to draw attention and accolades he could never dream of for himself, and patiently held the camera while I recorded my promotional TikToks. Most important, he has held my hand and comforted me through all of the online harassment. I couldn’t have done it without him.
Or so I thought. For reasons too complicated to get into, I am starting to strongly suspect that my beloved has been using an array of anonymous accounts to post some of the most negative and cruel comments about the book. In fact, I believe he may be the main source of the hatred that has been directed toward me, likely driven by jealousy that I have achieved something he never could.
Unfortunately, I am only 85 percent certain that I am correct. In the past, our marriage suffered when my husband discovered that I had been snooping on his computer and in his private things, and I know that if I were to confront him about my suspicions, he would accuse me of invading his privacy once again. Although this is not the case, I would have great difficulty explaining myself.
But lately I can’t even look at him without feeling sick to my stomach at the thought of what he might be writing about me and my book. I have even fantasized about hiring a private investigator to discover the truth. I can’t go on like this. What should I do?
Yours Truly,
Sleeping With the Enemy

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

AITA for wanting to use seperate sponges? 1 Cleaning and 1 dishes?

She needs to learn not to take her work home with her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for insisting my girlfriend ask her work to pay to exchange our theatre tickets

quote:

A few months ago I bought tickets to see a pretty major screen actor in a play on Broadway for me (40M) and my long-term girlfriend (38F). I splashed out to get seats (close to) front and centre as we were excited to see this guy perform in the flesh.

With a few weeks to go, she's been told she has to go away on a work trip over that weekend. When I looked into exchanging the tickets for another date, I found the prices for the shows later in the run are much higher; there are no tickets left at the price I paid, and the minimum we'd be looking to pay is 20% more, another $50 overall, and that would be for seats near the back. Comparable seats are 60% more than we paid, or more.

I feel strongly that her work should accept an expense claim to pay what it costs us - within reason - to rebook for another date so we have a comparable experience to what I paid for. I also feel extremely strongly that were I to go alone on the original date and failed to sell her ticket (which is likely as single tickets don't sell well), they should absolutely pay the $125 for her unused ticket. As it happens, these would be fairly similar amounts anyway, so they might as well pay for us to rebook comparable seats so she can see the play too as we'd originally hoped.

But the thing is, for whatever reason she doesn't think it's reasonable to expect her work to pay like $150 or more so we can rebook comparable seats, especially when we could rebook cheap seats for $50, and so isn't comfortable asking them to do so. But she isn't even prepared to ask them to cover the minimum rebooking cost; she says she doesn't mind absorbing this extra expense herself, but honestly this really bugs me and would still mean that I paid extra for premium tickets and we both end up with a budget experience, in fact it's only because I paid for premium seats that we have enough credit that rebooking cheap seats now is an amount she says she's happy to pay.

I want to be sympathetic to the fact she feels uncomfortable asking for any reimbursement, but I can't help but be annoyed that she thinks this way, that it's fair for an employer to cause and then not cover such costs.

AITA for making it clear that I'm pissed at her for not asserting her rights, even though she doesn't even see it that way and is uncomfortable doing so?

I mean, the scheduling sucks, but :lol: at the idea of trying to put "$$$ for missed Broadway date" through reimbursement anywhere I've worked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What kind of job demands that you go out of town for a weekend with absolutely zero flexibility to exempt yourself for personal reasons?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OP says she could have declined, but felt uncomfortable doing so, which I can understand depending on your current status at the job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Man there's a whole lot going on here obvs but I keep hearing these stories of autistic dudes who have successfully navigated all the arbitrary social rules out there the hard way, and then some rear end in a top hat just starts making up new ones they're horribly transgressing cause they know anyone else would tell them to gently caress off but that person is gonna take all month to agonize over whether "hi" is really an unacceptable greeting. Bums me out

Yep, that's what people do. Whether it's because they see an easy target or assume the slightest social difficulty can only be a deliberate offensive act targeted directly at them, who knows. Probably the first one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I [26 M] have never been very attracted to my [25F] wife. How important is it that I am attracted to her?

quote:

I don't want to go into too much detail because my wife reads this subreddit and I want to get my thoughts in order here or get some counseling about it before (if ever) I bring it up to her.

Basically, the title says it all. I love many things about my wife, we have a great sex life because I'm a horny guy and she has so many qualities that make me attracted to her, but I never wake up next to her just thinking to myself "wow, what a beautiful woman."

This is stressing me out to no end and making me feel like a shallow rear end in a top hat because since we started dating I have had thoughts of dumping her, but she just kept proving to be an awesome person who shares my world view, taste in music, ideas about raising kids, etc. etc. etc.

Basically, she's amazing in all the ways that should be important to me, but I can't seem to get past the fact that I am not physically attracted to her. I feel as though I should have figured this out before we got married, but I'm weak and have been through a lot this past year as far as life changes go. It was just too much for me to envision breaking this wonderful woman's heart on top of everything else.

Now here we are, recently married, with me still feeling like I have "cold feet" that I never expressed for fear of being disowned by my entire support system (all of my friends love her as well, and she has introduced me to many new and wonderful people).

I just feel kind of stuck and need to make a decision on what to do about this, or move past it, before we start having kids together. My ultimate question is this. Should I be worried about this and is it a deal breaker not to be physically attracted to someone when you are attracted to virtually every other facet of them as a person?

tl;dr: I am not and never have been attracted to my wife in that heart fluttery, lustful way. Is this ok? Will this feeling pass? Should I seek counseling?

quote:

It's just her looks overall. Rarely do I look at her and feel love. She has always felt like a girl that I really enjoy being around, but see more as a friend with whom I have sex because I just have never felt that spark of attraction towards her. I don't want to say never because it does happen, but it's not as often as (I think) it should be, or as often as it has been with other women I have dated. I just feel like I'm off-base for what attraction even is, because someone who does things for me like she does, and loves me as she does 100% deserves my undying love, but I just don't feel it. It definitely feels as though it's a defect in me, not any fault of her own, which is why I'm asking.

quote:

Ugh, I just don't know. I think part of it is that I am a "conventionally attractive" guy so often feel as though I "deserve" someone more attractive. I know that this is shallow and it's something that I'm working on, but it's part of my thought process. Things that made me stay with her? She is very open, free-spirited, and trusting. She loves poetry, music, plays piano, cooks wonderful food, and is a family oriented person like myself. When we started dating she was poly amorous and I saw it as a casual thing where I could still be my introverted self when she was off with the girl or other guy she was dating at the time. It was perfect, and then the other 2 relationships quickly dropped off, we said I love you, and things just escalated extremely quickly from there which I was not prepared to deal with. I told her I wasn't ready to propose and then we got drunk together one night and I said that I was, now here I am.

See if you can guess why exactly this dude is contemplating exploding what sounds like a mostly happy, loving relationship!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cythereal posted:

I [26 M] have never been very attracted to my [25F] wife. How important is it that I am attracted to her?

Hell yeah dude, set off those explosives! Blow up the greatest relationship you have ever had or will ever have because "I feel like the grass on the other side of this wall will be greener. I'm owed that by the universe." We could all use the entertainment!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Honestly how amazing can she be if she shares that guy's worldview anyway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Somebody is clearly not familiar with the works of modern poet Jimmy Soul

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Yeah imo the personality of the person you are with is much more of a dealbreaker than whether they look like Tom cruise / whatever. I mean I'm not a super horny dude like the op so maybe we're on different wavelengths but I'd much rather have a solid 5 that shares chores, enjoys being with me, and can be depended on than a lazy, flighty,, perpetually-unemployed 8 or 9. If this dude is expecting everything he's getting plus supermodel looks I think he's likely to end up very lonely

Also I hope he's not the jealous type because if you do end up with a "smokin hot ten" every horny dude in a ten block radius is going to swarm your house like night of the living dead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

From the title I was expecting that he realized he literally didn't want to have sex with her and that would have made a lot more sense than the actual post

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cythereal posted:

quote:

we have a great sex life

quote:

I am not physically attracted to her

How exactly does one have a great sex life with someone to whom one feels no physical attraction?

Is it like that scene in American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman screws a hooker from behind while admiring his own physique in the mirror?

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost

Shanghaied posted:

I once talked to some guy who worked in a commercial kitchen, who said that most home kitchens would fail commercial kitchen inspections, and even his own kitchen at home likely wouldn't pass, and as long as your home kitchen is reasonably clean it's completely fine. No idea if its true though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/dining/29inspector.html

Would the City Shut Down Your Kitchen?

By Henry Alford
Sept. 28, 2010
See how this article appeared when it was originally published on NYTimes.com.
THE night before a health inspector came to my apartment, I had a brief nightmare about a grim-faced woman in a lab coat who crawled across my kitchen floor with a pair of tweezers. So when it came time to greet the actual inspector, Beth Torin, one of the first things I uttered to her had a slightly unaccommodating air about it: “Your presence in my home terrifies me.”

Ms. Torin, a forceful, chatty woman in her late 30s, reached into her bag to produce her badge and said, “My mother tells me the same thing.”

Some of us have been thinking about kitchen sanitation with greater frequency ever since July, when the New York City health department started requiring restaurants to post letter grades signifying their inspection scores. (An A denotes zero to 13 points worth of violations; B, 14 to 27; C, 28 or more.)

But has this increased awareness of restaurant cleanliness had any trickle-down to our own kitchens? The societal function of posting health-code violations in public would seem to have the same double edge as that of gossip columns: in some instances, these broadcasts humiliate sinners into better behavior; but in others, they make the sins look normal, and thus open the floodgates.

Eager to find out where my West Village kitchen falls on the continuum, I called the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and arranged for a restaurant inspector to visit at noon last Thursday. I asked them to overlook any stipulations that would not apply to a home, like the signs in restrooms that remind employees to wash their hands. Restaurants get no warning before an inspection; so, to handicap myself, we decided that Ms. Torin would arrive one hour before I was to serve an elaborate lunch to four friends.

I had 27 hours to prepare, or should I say to obsess. That my wholly average-seeming level of cleanliness was to be rated while I was cooking for guests filled me with a kind of terror; my brain dredged up the words dance recital, underrehearsed, overweight, leotard. The inspection information on the health department’s Web site was largely unsurprising. But it did prompt me to remove a light bulb over my stove that was not “shielded or shatterproof.” Then I scrubbed and scoured for nine hours.

Having formulated the theorem, “It can’t be a violation if it doesn’t exist,” I removed seven garbage bags’ worth of opened foods and assorted flotsam from my kitchen. I used antibacterial wipes on any surface my cats may have walked on. After sleeping for an hour, I awoke at 12:30 a.m. — the grim-faced woman with the tweezers — and cleaned for another hour. The next morning, uncertain how much of my environment would fall under the inspector’s purview, I sponged four dust-saddled walls in my building’s stairwell, and bagged and discarded a wet mohair rug that had mysteriously appeared on the stoop.

Ms. Torin’s arrival brought three surprises — she was 35 minutes late; she was chatty, with a lot of short blond corkscrew curls but no tweezers; and she was wearing heels and a gray pantsuit. (Inspectors generally wear a uniform, but Ms. Torin sometimes inspects in her office-wear.) She first produced a palm-size meter from her bag, to check carbon monoxide levels inside and outside the apartment and thus make sure my exhaust hoods were working. Satisfied, she then asked if she could wash her hands. I proudly pointed to my kitchen sink, where I’d fastidiously placed canisters of antibacterial wipes and liquid soap.

I was dismayed to hear: “You’re not allowed to wash your hands in the kitchen sink. I coughed when I came in the door. Who knows where my hands have been?” Wherever they’d been, the germs they carried with them were now in the same sink I use to rinse lettuce.

If the sleigh ride that was this inspection had just been given its initial push down the slope, it then proceeded to plunge, luge-like, down a sluice gate of detritus-flecked squalor. Most disastrously (that is to say, 38 points’ worth of disaster), Ms. Torin determined that my refrigerator — which, despite some dripping condensation during the summer, has always been perfectly adequate for my needs — was warmer than the required 41 degrees, as was the food inside. I didn’t know I had this problem because I don’t keep a thermometer in my fridge (2 points).

These struck me as mostly legitimate violations, as did my broken meat thermometer (8 points). But then Ms. Torin started rifling off a series of less galvanizing concerns: the towels I use to wipe my counters were not soaking in a sanitizing solution (5 points), my cutting board had many tiny nicks and grooves, and thus may breed bacteria (2 points). I realized that I needed to start playing hardball if I wanted to avoid earning the nickname Typhoid Henry.

When, on seeing cat food in a cabinet, she asked if I had a cat (5 points), I said yes but did not reveal that my boyfriend and I actually have two (10 points). Then I stealthily whisked my lovingly wrought appetizer — Thai shrimp and basil summer rolls — out into the living room before Ms. Torin could nail me for harboring under-refrigerated shellfish (8 points). As they say on television these days: I’m not here to make friends, I’m here to win.

In the meantime, my guests had started arriving. Ms. Torin told my friend Liz, “I’m making sure that your meal is safe.” Liz replied, “I wish you were here every time I came.” My friend Mark bore a bouquet of fluffy white hydrangeas, saying, “I thought they suggested the immaculate.”

Simultaneously, I was whipping up two corn soufflés. The trifecta of guest arrival, soufflé preparation and government-backed humiliation was, for this host, a lake of fire. Imagine that your war crimes tribunal is being filmed while you broil scallops. As guests spilled in and egg whites were whipped, Ms. Torin continued zealously snooping around the kitchen, brandishing a tiny flashlight to look for rodent excreta, and telling me that I should sand down my aged cutting boards and retrieve ice from my freezer with a scoop. I grimace-smiled like a polar bear at a world climate summit.

Ms. Torin totted up my violations on a worksheet: 77. Flunkadelic. She offered some faint praise, including the heart-warmers “Your covered garbage can is great” and “You didn’t obstruct me.”

If a restaurant gets a score higher than 14, an inspector returns for a second visit in about two weeks. The restaurant can post this second grade, or a sign that says “Grade Pending.” About three weeks later, a representative from the restaurant appears before an administrative tribunal, where the grade is arbitrated and finalized.

But, Ms. Torin said, were my home a restaurant, my lack of adequate refrigeration would have resulted in more dramatic action. “We would make a decision very quickly,” she said. I raised my eyebrows in a manner that said either, “And would kindness prevail?” or “Should I get the vial of Seconal now?”

Uncharacteristically demure, Ms. Torin replied, “I don’t want to depress you because you have guests here.”

That my friends, apprised of my rating, then consumed large quantities of the food I had prepared says everything to me about why I have chosen these particular individuals to be in my life. Their forbearance reminded me of Mrs. John Gotti’s statement about her husband: “All I know is, he provides.”

The next day, I spoke by phone with Ms. Torin, who was concerned she had been too hard on me. She had docked me for a few things specific to restaurants — e.g., 5 points for my not wearing a head covering — and she was feeling more charitable about my refrigerator.

“I can see you don’t cook a lot,” she said. “You didn’t have much food, but a lot of wine.” Deciding not to explain that I’d nervously divested my fridge of two garbage bags’ worth of items before her arrival, I instead tried to impress upon her the dictates of the go-go bohemian life, where the refrigerator is considered full if it contains a lemon peel and a jar of olives. She said she had a new score for me.

But before she gave it to me, I leveled with her: “Over the weekend, I’m going to fix most of these violations, which should be easy. But I’m not going to stop washing my hands in the sink, and I’m not soaking my wiping towels in bleach, and I’m not killing my cat. What I’m saying is, I’m a 20 at heart. Knowing that, would you personally, being both neurotic and a food safety inspector, ever come to eat at my 20?”

Ms. Torin said: “Totally honestly? I wouldn’t eat in your apartment because you have a cat.”

We resumed a discussion we’d had about how cats can blithely go from litter box to tabletop or kitchen counter, transporting bacteria. But we kept talking, and she soon changed her tune. “You know what?” she said. “I’ll give you the cat if you swear you’ll wash your hands in the bathroom. Then I’d come over. You’ve got to eat somewhere.”

Post-inspection, I’ve made a few changes. I’ve lowered the temperature of my refrigerator. I’ve bought a new meat thermometer. I’ve nicknamed the friskier of the two cats Five Points. I’m thrilled that public places of eating are held to higher standards than homes, and that the full fruition of these high standards results in the first letter of my last name. But when it comes to my own environs, I’m hoping my patrons understand that I’m no Hester Prynne. At 41, I’m still a C. That’s C for cleanish.

Pass or Fail, Some Health Basics for the Kitchen

Some of the things health department inspectors watch for in restaurants are worth keeping in mind at home. Among them:

Make sure to clear the sink of dishes and pans before washing hands, and use different towels to dry hands and cookware. Have liquid soap and paper towels in your bathroom for hand-washing.

Make sure your cutting boards don’t have nicks and grooves where bacteria can grow. If they do, you can sand or replace them. Bacteria can also thrive inside cracks in floor tiles and wood countertops.

Make sure your refrigerator is working properly and keep it on a cold setting.

Don’t let food linger on countertops a long time before cooking and serving it.

Keep pets off countertops and dining tables.

Damp dish towels can breed bacteria. Keep them clean and dry, or use paper towels.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for insisting my girlfriend ask her work to pay to exchange our theatre tickets

I mean, the scheduling sucks, but :lol: at the idea of trying to put "$$$ for missed Broadway date" through reimbursement anywhere I've worked
Pretty much everywhere I've ever worked, this wouldn't be even the slightest issue. They ask me to go, I decline and cite the fact it's already paid for, and they'd immediately just ask what it costs...and then when I said $150, they'd agree without hesitation because that's basically a rounding error when compared to (a) the value of maintaining the client relationship and (b) the cost of my flight, hotel, the revenue for those hours, etc. Even if they can't get reimbursed for the client for that cost and have to just write it off as a non-bill expense to the department, it's trivial compared with the costs of poo poo going sideways.

Of course, as with everything else, this mostly depends on your industry, leverage, and political capital.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

If this dude is expecting everything he's getting plus supermodel looks I think he's likely to end up very lonely
Have you considered that he's conventionally attractive based on his own totally unbiased opinion? Clearly, supermodels who are great in bed and "amazing in all the ways that should be important" will be lining up around the drat block once they hear this dude's single.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah, it's never been an issue for me, but if i had plans and my job said "hey we really need you to work this weekend instead" i would absolutely tell my boss "hey, this is going to cost me $$$" and based on our working relationship to date i'm confident he'd make it right one way or the other.

and like, yeah, lots of places won't accommodate. but lots of places suck and if your work's going to jerk you around like that then it's really worth considering moving on.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shanghaied posted:

Mostly I'm wonder that "tech items" would be "inappropriate" for a 16-year-old. Like yeah okay, I probably wouldn't give a smartphone to a 6-year-old, but I thought most 16-year-olds would have phones and computers nowadays? If they aren't allowed phones and computers, that would say a lot about the parents. What could the sister have possibly owned that could be considered "inappropriate"?

Are they cellphone jammers? Card skimmers? Flipper Zero? Night-vision goggles in countries that forbid civilian ownership of night-vision devices?

Bluetooth buttplugs and other IoT sex toys

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Scathach posted:

Not wrong if they were intending to force it, but I didn't get the impression it was so strict. I could be wrong, though, and while unless there's a ton more missing I don't think emancipation is the right move, I definitely understand not wanting to have an in depth talk about your sex life and what birth control you use with relatives you've only moved in with a year ago.

Like, it's not like it's a bad talk to have, but that was a super awkward way for OP to bring it up. Teenagers ate going to do whatever and it's best if they do it safely but I feel like letting them know you'll get birth control for them with no judgement or comments would work better than trying to cut a deal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Not wrong if they were intending to force it, but I didn't get the impression it was so strict. I could be wrong, though, and while unless there's a ton more missing I don't think emancipation is the right move, I definitely understand not wanting to have an in depth talk about your sex life and what birth control you use with relatives you've only moved in with a year ago.

Like, it's not like it's a bad talk to have, but that was a super awkward way for OP to bring it up. Teenagers ate going to do whatever and it's best if they do it safely but I feel like letting them know you'll get birth control for them with no judgement or comments would work better than trying to cut a deal.
Not only should they just have offered to provide birth control with no judgment if the kid was sexually active rather than trying to force her to take it in exchange for the car, it also just seems really dumb to me to assume that the kid is going to start having sex in the car.

I'm sure lots of teenagers do do that, but she may very well not have any plans to do that, in which case suddenly being told "obviously you're going to be having sex in the car so you need to take birth control" would probably be pretty gross

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

mystes posted:

Not only should they just have offered to provide birth control with no judgment if the kid was sexually active rather than trying to force her to take it in exchange for the car, it also just seems really dumb to me to assume that the kid is going to start having sex in the car.

I'm sure lots of teenagers do do that, but she may very well not have any plans to do that, in which case suddenly being told "obviously you're going to be having sex in the car so you need to take birth control" would probably be pretty gross

I believe the car would get them to the place they'd have sex at, not that they would be boinking in the car.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

I believe the car would get them to the place they'd have sex at, not that they would be boinking in the car.
Maybe that makes more sense. I just got that idea because like 90% of the reddit comments were saying that the kid was going to have sex in the car and I assumed those people must have had sex in cars when they were teenagers to think that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Literally all writers flame other writers anonymously, also how is she glossing over the most pertinent part of the story, how she knows it's him?

I can't imagine being married to a writer tbh

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

mystes posted:

There is no way it's real. Consider how expensive dyes/pigments were for most of human history. 99.9% of the population would not have had colored objects or clothing inside their homes.

Do you think that those black and white photos from Ye Olden Times are how the world actually looked? Because wood and flowers and poo poo, those all had colors.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Literally all writers flame other writers anonymously, also how is she glossing over the most pertinent part of the story, how she knows it's him?

When she talked about it, he said "oh that sounds like Lilly from the Reylo fandom" and that just made it all fall into place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deified Data posted:

They're both writers!

She's just leagues ahead of him in skill and talent, just ask her!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Defiance Industries posted:

Do you think that those black and white photos from Ye Olden Times are how the world actually looked? Because wood and flowers and poo poo, those all had colors.

I guess I'll also hop on this dogpile and mention military uniforms, especially for high ranking officers, have always been garish as gently caress.

Look at these fabulous mother fuckers They fought and died looking like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I assume "I am only 85 percent certain that I am correct" means "I have zero evidence"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Deified Data posted:

how is she glossing over the most pertinent part of the story, how she knows it's him?

Yeah, one of the downsides to the questions coming in from advice columns is that you never get further clarification on stuff like that. I mean, reddit OPs disappear half the time too, but at least sometimes you get answers on big stuff like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

littleratbastard posted:

Yeah gently caress nonbinary people using non standard pronouns, that’s right!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

My daughter “Anna” is a sophomore in high school. One of her best friends since middle school is “Olivia,” the daughter of their school’s Dean of Discipline. Olivia’s father had an affair with another school staff member. It was discovered when poor Olivia walked in on them, and her mother filed for divorce. Olivia is obviously devastated and furious at her father.

Twice since all this came out, Anna has gotten into trouble for minor things at school (three unexcused tardies to class, not being in full compliance with the school’s uniform of a school polo shirt, khakis, and a belt), and then when Olivia’s dad has met with her to issue a minor consequence, she’s escalated things by talking back and making digs at him about the affair. The first time, she said “oh you’re one to talk about what people should be doing,” which got her lunch detention bumped up to an after-school detention. The second time, as she was leaving his office, she loudly muttered about him “talking to me about my pants when he can’t keep it in his pants.”

This got her a day of in-school suspension, and the assistant principal called me to talk about her behavior. (This is when I found out about the first incident.) She’s never gotten into any trouble at school before beyond the occasional tardy or dress code violation.

When I talked to her, at first she tried to claim that she didn’t mean for him to hear the pants remark, but I called BS on that. She said Olivia’s dad deserves it, she’s lost all respect for him, and that he should be grateful Olivia’s only told her closest friends about what he did instead of the entire school. I explained that sometimes we don’t respect an authority figure—the boss who’s a lazy jerk, the cop with a chip on his shoulder—but we still need to treat them with respect, if only for our own sake. I also pointed out that soccer season is coming up, and if she keeps doing stuff like this she could lose eligibility to play. Anna was not convinced and went up to her room in a huff.

I spoke to Anna’s father about it (we are divorced but amicable at this point, and we have a great co-parenting relationship). We both agreed not to punish her further beyond the school punishments this time, since it’s a genuinely hard situation for a kid. I think we need to tell her that if she keeps this up, there will be escalating consequences at home no matter whose house she’s at. He thinks that we should talk to the principal and request that a different administrator handle any future disciplinary matters involving Anna. He says it’s the man’s own drat fault that a portion of the sophomore class has no respect for him. My concern is that would basically reward the behavior. I understand how hard this situation is for her and I’m upset she’s in it, but I would rather she learn to keep her cool even when it’s really hard.</p>

How should we proceed here?

quote:

I understand and respect the deep loyalty Anna must have for Olivia to be so angry with her father. I agree that Anna will need to learn how to control herself when she needs to, deploy her burns more judiciously, and not make things worse for herself or her friends just because she’s angry. That said, she’s not an adult; she’s 15. She’s still developing impulse control. Questioning authority—including which authority figures deserve respect—is not only understandable, it’s an essential part of learning to think for herself and form her own opinions. She’s probably never had to navigate an awkward situation like this with an unrelated authority figure before. Maybe it’s unrealistic to expect her to handle this situation like an adult might, or see the value of diplomacy when she’s upset and worried about her friend?

Given their personal history, I don’t think it’s the worst idea to try to limit her 1:1s with her friend’s dad, at least for a little while (I can’t imagine he’s looking forward to seeing her again, either). I see no real harm in inquiring whether someone other than Olivia’s father could be the first line of discipline for her at school? It doesn’t absolve Anna of responsibility for her past or future behavior, nor does it mean she can’t learn how to rein in her remarks sometimes—she can, and she will. I guess I just don’t see this as an either/or situation, wherein your daughter has to experience maximum discomfort and awkwardness and anger with her friend’s father in her educational setting or she’ll never learn self-control.

I also think it’s worth pointing out to Anna that, apart from whatever Olivia’s father thinks or feels or does, the things she’s saying could well cause further pain and embarrassment to Olivia herself if they got out. There’s a reason, after all, that Olivia hasn’t told the whole school; presumably she doesn’t want everyone to know her family’s business. There are plenty of other ways for Anna to be a good, supportive friend during a hard time.

The dean is a poo poo who can't do his job.

Anna is also a poo poo, but in a wonderful way.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

haveblue posted:

Babies have no common sense and poor emotional regulation, they do that sort of thing all the time

when they do it it's cute but when i do it it's causing a scene :mad:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Can we please cut down on this hopefully ironic stuff? Some of us are non-binary and/or trans and it's not funny. If we shouldn't be posting anti trans bait, we shouldn't have the call be coming from inside the thread

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Anticheese posted:

Can we please cut down on this hopefully ironic stuff? Some of us are non-binary and/or trans and it's not funny. If we shouldn't be posting anti trans bait, we shouldn't have the call be coming from inside the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Anticheese posted: