Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what loving card games are people playing that look like Pentiment

i would also like to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Gotta give credit to Shattered Soldier on the PS2, but that's around 20 years old at this point.

We already got a spiritual successor in Cuphead, I'm not waiting on Konami to make anything decent these days.

Neo Contra is fun.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

penny’s big breakaway is from the sonic mania team and as such will be very ftw. I will be playing it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Eiba posted:

Pentiment is a great immersive historical narrative game. You play as an artist traveling through 1500s Bavaria, who's forced to help solve a crime and in the process learn a lot about life in early modern times. The gameplay is 90% walking around, clicking on things, choosing dialog options, and (most importantly) deciding who to have dinner with. There are occasionally little interactive sequences to break things up. One of those sequences involves cards. It pretty low pressure though. Definitely not as hardcore as the cookie cutting minigame.

Sounds amazing. Thank you!

I saw the card bit in the trailer and with everyone talking about Balatro assumed the worst.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
The mighty Microsoft has now been relegated to making games for Nintendo

What a timeline

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

90sgamer posted:

What a timeline

thanks worms butthole guy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://x.com/zh_switch/status/1760403726664351972?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

🥳

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't want to be in class, I want to race my little playing card horses!!!!

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

An Actual Princess posted:

That’s not me that’s timdog

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't have a working pc or any other way to easily play emulated games so it would be nice if the English version was in my Switch

You could always play it on GBA or gamecube with the GBA player.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

omg they get me

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I’m usually pretty positive on the Directs but this one was garbage. Where are either of the Dragon Quest games???

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Real lack of dunking on the wannabe Nintendo Lawyers of the 00s who assured everyone that NONE of the Mother trilogy would EVER see a stateside release again. Music licensing issues, weird jokes and references in the games, Nintendo crunching the numbers and moving on completely from the franchise... yet here we are.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Trying to sell people a Wii U outweighed whatever license costs they had to pay off.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Space Fish posted:

Real lack of dunking on the wannabe Nintendo Lawyers of the 00s who assured everyone that NONE of the Mother trilogy would EVER see a stateside release again. Music licensing issues, weird jokes and references in the games, Nintendo crunching the numbers and moving on completely from the franchise... yet here we are.

Nobody is doing that because it's still only releasing in Japan. The situation hasn't changed at all.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Space Fish posted:

very weird post

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Brb traveling back in time to dunk on wannabe nintendo lawyers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Mother 3 is only being ported to Japanese switch.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
someone absolutely flamed that guy on gamefaqs 20 years ago and he's still mad about it lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The situation understander has weighed in.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Can't believe the game that only released in Japan is going on the NSO Japanese GBA app.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Wasn’t it a huge deal when we got Earthbound 1/origins on Pii U? Is that one available on switch?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s on NSO yeah.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Promenade fuckin slaps. Try the demo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Space Fish posted:

we got a guy with worms in his rear end and now one with worms in their brain?!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Can’t stop playing Balatro and just downloaded Pocket Jockey. I’m gonna be seeing playing cards in my sleep.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pepper Grinder is cool. I liked the demo.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Listen, burning someone decades after the fact is my prerogative, but please understand EarthBound and Earthbound Origins coming to Wii/U handily broke certain narratives around what was and wasn't possible from Nintendo at the time. I understand Mother 3 is just for Japan NSO for now, regardless, the series is still around and I like it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

American McGay posted:

Can’t stop playing Balatro and just downloaded Pocket Jockey. I’m gonna be seeing playing cards in my sleep.

You need sleep?
Sounds like a skill issue.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Eiba posted:

How can they do this to us?

I found this video about character creation that's a couple months old but new to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoV47qgED8

I'm amused by how proud they are of this switch game looking better than its 3DS predecessor.

I just can't wait to play Fantasy Life!

*Summer 2024*

Well that was a lie. Unless October is still summer in Japan?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

90sgamer posted:

What a timeline

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Can't believe Contra went woke

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

can we get back to the GOTY - Pocket Card Jockey? What's the consensus on it?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

If anybody is playing Pocket Card Jockey, I'm curious about one thing. The 3DS version had a way to share horses you've bred via QR code. Is there an equivalent to that feature on Switch, or did that get axed?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

glassyalabolas posted:

can we get back to the GOTY - Pocket Card Jockey? What's the consensus on it?

It's more of the same, which is great!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was under the impression that Pocket Card Jockey was basically a port of the iPhone arcade version?

Which is fine by me, really.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What the gently caress, where's all the battletoad hate coming from? Get gud losers

Battletoads Double Dragon The Ultimate Team was the best Battletoad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Decided to start the afternoon playing the Unicorn Overlord demo and had to stop 6 hours in. Definitely sold me on the game. It does a good job of ramping up the complexity at an even pace. Every battle has something new to consider and the squad building aspects are great fun.