Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah inverted flight with a Mk1 spit or a hurricane is a good way starve your engine and crash. When James Cosmo's character does an aileron roll at the very start of Battle of Britain you can actually hear the engine sputter and burp some black smoke after it goes inverted. It's no wonder Christopher Plummer immediately chews him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah inverted flight with a Mk1 spit or a hurricane is a good way starve your engine and crash. When James Cosmo's character does an aileron roll at the very start of Battle of Britain you can actually hear the engine sputter and burp some black smoke after it goes inverted. It's no wonder Christopher Plummer immediately chews him out.

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

algebra testes posted:

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that.

Spring chicken to shitehawk in one easy lesson

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Poor Simon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

twistedmentat posted:

I thought it was a neat detail that you saw the little candy and gum dispensers that USAAF crews had on the dashboard of one of the bombers in a shot.

It would be really cool to see some of these on-screen, but I don't expect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMte4yguZw

He's just so happy he finally got one of those.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CubanMissile posted:

I agree with Elvis, that dude’s sheepskin jacket was ugly as hell.

The B3 jacket was warmer. Plus his was a prototype, so it was collectable as gently caress.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mllaneza posted:

Yea, that was exactly what I was thinking of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's crazy that those fudge bars were still good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The only time in my life I have ever enjoyed licorice is vicariously through Steve1989 in this video.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i love it when steve1989mreinfo pops up in the wild

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Really enjoyed that episode. Westgate owns.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can't believe Buck is a zombie now.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As a kid I devoured every published journal and memoir of POW camps and I am HERE for this next ep :D
i was racking my brain to think 'did i ever come across the two bucks in my childhood reading hmm' i cant recall
Especially Colditz ones haha! this was my favourite: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26570157-padre-in-colditz

the funny one about colditz ones is you had so many POWs writing diaries of the events you got to read about the same drat incidents again and again from every single angle. I feel my lens of ww2+allied airmen was first just all these books and I will forever have love for the setting. hell yeah. now as an 'adult' i'm currently reading Rat King by James Clavell (which is semiautobiographical and is about a POW camp in the East)

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 23, 2024

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh no, Buck is back. :(

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Octy posted:

Oh no, Buck is back. :(

Yeah we need a Steve McQueen standin for The Great Escape scenes.

e: i hope they don't make the mistake of adding the Americans to the Great Escape though, the American and Commonwealth airmen were housed in different sections of the camp and the Americans weren't involved in the digging or the escape.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In Westphalia born and raised, in the Stalag is where I spent most of my days.
Chillin, maxin, relaxin all cool, escaping from the Germans outside the school

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
ELVIS LIVES

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, fully onboard for POW stuff in the next episode, and Rosenthal is really working for me as the "lead" in a way neither of the Bucks did, but also I'm finally interested in the Bucks now that they're grounded and in captivity looking to escape, so this current setup is working nicely for me. Only 3 episodes left just as the series is starting to feel like it's found its feet is a shame though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, fully onboard for POW stuff in the next episode, and Rosenthal is really working for me as the "lead" in a way neither of the Bucks did, but also I'm finally interested in the Bucks now that they're grounded and in captivity looking to escape, so this current setup is working nicely for me. Only 3 episodes left just as the series is starting to feel like it's found its feet is a shame though.

Two episodes left. The eighth episode is a complete side step.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think the Tuskegee Airmen inclusion is just a teaser for a series that'll never see the light of day or be scheduled to debut in 2051 or something.

It's interesting how the show gets better the *less* they rely on the inexcusably sub-par CGI.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
these fuckin masters of the air didn't go in the air at all this episode!!! what the gently caress!!! i want my money back!!!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think the Tuskegee Airmen inclusion is just a teaser for a series that'll never see the light of day or be scheduled to debut in 2051 or something.

It's interesting how the show gets better the *less* they rely on the inexcusably sub-par CGI.
Yeah this season is screaming passed. Its like we've just started to get to know these mofos. And I can't tell if its because BoB has embedded its tropes in our heads after 20 years of rewatches or if its something in MotA's writing. Or maybe the masks? Who is to say!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not sure what it is, but yeah I was legit surprised I was reading "EPISODE SIX" at the top of the episode. Feels like it should've been 4 of 10 or so. But yes I can't hold it up to expectations of pacing set by an over two decade old HBO series.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the dude is stephen spielberg's son im pretty sure they'll make more

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's kinda loving crazy :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Show really hit its groove, that's a good episode.

Edit: reminds me that the equivalent episode in Pacific is really good too with Sledge.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 24, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they really did just skip Black Thursday didn't they. Unless they plan to skip back a couple days before Egan arrived at Stalag Luft III. Really good episode overall but I don't know how they're going to wrap this up without speedrunning things especially if they've only got two episodes left and one of them is a standalone Tuskeegee Airmen special.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

God drat, that was a stellar episode of TV.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I lost who said it but someone in here referred to the Bucks as Captain Handsome and Captain Dickhead and it's literally all I can think about when they're on screen.

Captain Blueeyes might be fighting Elvis for the title though.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The real life event that this episode alluded to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCsselsheim_massacre

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 24, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mllaneza posted:

...stop eating the candy, steve it's 80 years old

he keeps on eating it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had to find it again, but my grandfather was a B-17 pilot during the war and flew 51 missions out of Tunisia and then Italy from 1943-44 and I have copies of his logs. I just for whatever reason can’t figure out which bomb group he was a part of again

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had to find it again, but my grandfather was a B-17 pilot during the war and flew 51 missions out of Tunisia and then Italy from 1943-44 and I have copies of his logs. I just for whatever reason can’t figure out which bomb group he was a part of again

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you have his name and flight logs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I am trying to find more info but Google sucks now

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I am trying to find more info but Google sucks now

National Archives AAD, but you really need some of his personal details otherwise it might be hard unless he has a unique name

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks, I have enough of them anyway

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Laughing Zealot posted:

The real life event that this episode alluded to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCsselsheim_massacre

I love how as much as I've learned about what a horrible place Nazi Germany was, there's always more. They really are the Nation of War Crimes. This is why i get annoyed when someone is all "did you know the allies committed war crimes too?" and its like, yea they did but they are NOTHING compared to what the Nazis. I love their defense was "Gobbles made us do it!" and the prosecutor was "These are adults, they knew what they were doing".

Going to assume the Subaltern is part of Benchley Park, hence why she won't say what she actually does. There was a lot of women involved with code breaking so that fits.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My only complaint is that so far they have for the most part not really treated the gunners as people and focused solely on the officers. That might be realistic, though I'm not sure. My grandfather was a gunner on a B-25 in the pacific and he kept in touch with the officers in his crew until he passed away. B-25s had less people too, though.

The song might alienate MAGA viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsx8nYOrBsk

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My only complaint is that so far they have for the most part not really treated the gunners as people and focused solely on the officers. That might be realistic, though I'm not sure. My grandfather was a gunner on a B-25 in the pacific and he kept in touch with the officers in his crew until he passed away. B-25s had less people too, though.

What do you mean by "realistic"? I'm not sure I follow.

Though, yeah, it would be nice if the show did more with its characters, it's been a consistent problem throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The song might alienate MAGA viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsx8nYOrBsk

Lol yea, Literally "fascists loving stuck, we need to punch them in the face until they are no longer fascists".