Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you might be a satisfaction from work guy but I never have been and more money is a more efficient use of my work week :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I do the Bobby Dobby where I work figgieland jobs and then do nothing for a while

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I can see why you'd go both ways, my first job where I had an option I took the figgies, but since then I've traded them off for quality of life and work environment. Still don't make as much 6 years later but I'm fully remote, low stress work with nice people, and work like 15 hours a week less (+no commute). Not sure how much you'd have to pay me to go back to in office at a finance company but it's more than anyone gets in europe, certainly someone as unexceptional as me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ve taken pay cuts in the past to go to jobs where the product and my participation in it didn’t crush my soul and so far I haven’t regretted it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when i was finishing grad school i spent a semester polishing my thesis and got a 20 hr/week internship that paid 90% of my old full time job salary. best work life balance ever.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im considering taking a pay cut for a more interesting job but my current job is more just a bored out of my mind getting paid too much to not do so much rather than a overloaded stress hellscape

its nice having not much to do with a kid though

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

GenJoe posted:

for an internship position at a FAANG i think you're going to have absoluetly zero leverage negotiating an internship salary

ive heard of cases of small increases at this one, like a $1 or $2 per hour increase lol. but yeah the leverage just isn't there

important to note is that full time offer is about the same at both companies except one has a reliable stock performance, 401k matching, better work, and isn't web scale. if i can live comfortably and max my roth over the summer then the pay is sufficient imo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

lord fifth posted:

ive heard of cases of small increases at this one, like a $1 or $2 per hour increase lol. but yeah the leverage just isn't there

important to note is that full time offer is about the same at both companies except one has a reliable stock performance, 401k matching, better work, and isn't web scale. if i can live comfortably and max my roth over the summer then the pay is sufficient imo
am I understanding right that an internship a) has a 401k available, b) matches contributions, and c) doesn't require a year+ for vesting on the match? that's better than probably half of the places i've worked, haha.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
oh no lol, i mean in terms of setting up a full time return offer :P

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
return? to work? ...full time???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

DELETE CASCADE posted:

work? ...full time???

:stonk:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
San Diego is great, but don't get too attached if you're here for just an internship. The local pay is poo poo and the only people who can afford to live well here are working remote for bay area companies, or saved up enough while working in the bay to not need more than the local salary.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sd has a lot more than touchers. they got military and biotech and stuff

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

friend of mine just got laid off from a biotech startup in san diego

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the plan was to be in nyc but i keep getting better opportunities in california D:

seems like the company im working for has similar new grad salaries between sd and sf, though, so thats nice at least. but i'll be desperately trying to claw my way out of california in the fall

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

lord fifth posted:

the plan was to be in nyc but i keep getting better opportunities in california D:

seems like the company im working for has similar new grad salaries between sd and sf, though, so thats nice at least. but i'll be desperately trying to claw my way out of california in the fall

you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if you end up in San Diego hmu

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

also used to have a BUNCH of meth but idk if thats still a thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its 2024, you can get meth anywhere

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i already sold my soul to timb. so im san diego bound

they were nice enough to let me work for four more weeks than the other offer i had, so i guess the salary difference doesnt matter anymore :smith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i sure don't miss nyc but maybe that's because i'm getting older. or maybe i hate living in tiny shithole apartments with no washer or drier and subpar heating/cooling arrangements and paying $3000/mo for the privilege. one of those two things.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

man jose

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its 2024, you can get meth anywhere

why would I take meth when I can take sweet sweet amphetamine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
san diego is really great and you'll like it because you'll have money

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the weather in san diego is perfect* and you will never lack for delicious mexican food

but

the city itself is one big suburb full of big box chain stores, it has no art or cultural scene of any kind (the closest thing it has to a notable cultural institution is a comic book convention), and it has a massive little brother syndrome w/r/t los angeles. plus every sports team that has ever called it home is deeply accursed. the cops are even more racist than the lapd (quite a feat). cost of living is very high and civic infrastructure (roads, sewers, schools, etc) has not kept up with growth

theres lots to like about san diego (im a big fan of the varied terrain - the county has four separate weather forecasts, on a typical summer day its not uncommon for it to be 70s by the coast, 80s further inland, over 100 in the desert and a low of 30s in the mountains) but a lot of downsides too

* exception: may and june

Logflat Badness
Sep 17, 2020
woke up to a recruiter phonecall for some scala job and all he did was tell me how to punch up my resume. i think i will now be killing myself and projecting my soul into a sloppy disgusting moron with extreme javascript muscle memory

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JavaScript? ew

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

rotor posted:

feelin real mixed emotions here

remember when i said something might not work out?

havent heard a peep from him since.

it sucks to be a designer in this market right now.

in other news i'm engaged so :unsmith:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Sapozhnik posted:

i sure don't miss nyc but maybe that's because i'm getting older. or maybe i hate living in tiny shithole apartments with no washer or drier and subpar heating/cooling arrangements and paying $3000/mo for the privilege. one of those two things.

if you are fresh out of college and yet to have standards i think “fun hell” is absolutely worth it, but otherwise no way

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cheese eats mouse posted:

:toot:

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

cheese eats mouse posted:

goongrats cheese eat mice

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Yeah, my wife is in biotech and the pay is poo poo compared to the bay, even within her industry. We certainly couldn't buy a house off two people earning her salary.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's been over two weeks since my tech screen and I haven't heard anything. Granted, I did sign up for a screening basically at the earliest window they had available (I believe the latest day they had available was yesterday) so maybe they're just processing everyone else before starting the next round. It's been so long since I've done any of this so I'm not sure if I should try and check in with the recruiter or just if I just need to wait for whatever news is coming.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i would feel comfortable politely checking in to ensure nothing got lost and to ask for a ballpark timeline after a week of silence

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

raminasi posted:

i would feel comfortable politely checking in to ensure nothing got lost and to ask for a ballpark timeline after a week of silence

yeah there's nothin wrong with 'hi, its been a little while since we talked. I know things can get busy, but i just wanted to check" email

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah a week later is plenty of time to check,in.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hrm... I did finally email the recruiter to follow up, and haven't heard back. But I did get an email this morning titled "How was your <company> recruiting experience?" and a link to a survey. I'm guessing that means they went with someone else.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LanceHunter posted:

Hrm... I did finally email the recruiter to follow up, and haven't heard back. But I did get an email this morning titled "How was your <company> recruiting experience?" and a link to a survey. I'm guessing that means they went with someone else.

sorry for your loss but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

i got one of those when i had an onsite scheduled. had the on-site and you can guess what the result was.