Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Remember you can always swap characters, after you've seen a limit break or synergy ability once start getting used to firing them off and swapping to your idle character to lay in more damage.

Gonna try that boss just one more time with Tifa and Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Unfortunately this demo kind of has a trap built in where you are gonna want to mess about with Red but he can't reach the drat boss. Tifa to a lesser extent, though she can be launched in the air. I basically didn't use Cloud during the fight at all.

Red is neat and seems very powerful solo (not that you ever really play solo). His special mode seems capable of some pretty great damage.

Shoehead posted:

Demo boss is allergic to lightning which is pretty handy because you already have some and can get your hands on some from Chadley and boost it to lv2.

There being materia with Two spells is amazing btw. That seems broken in a great way.

Unfortunately this demo kind of has a trap built in where you are gonna want to mess about with Red but he can't reach the drat boss. Tifa to a lesser extent, though she can be launched in the air. I basically didn't use Cloud during the fight at all.

I don't know if this was the case in the original, but Cloud seems to shoot projectiles from his sword at range now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Red is neat and seems very powerful solo (not that you ever really play solo). His special mode seems capable of some pretty great damage.

I don't know if this was the case in the original, but Cloud seems to shoot projectiles from his sword at range now.

You can also hold square after dodging which will launch him towards the enemy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

The sword beams are definitely new

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Yeah with Tifa and Red it's still pretty easy to handle the boss. Red still isn't great at offense when they're in the air but using him to parry/block attacks gets him ATB quick enough to counter with magic. Tifa just needs Cloud to launch her to get going (Or one of her launching abilities but the synergy is free). If anything I found it quicker to Stagger in the first phase with Tifa and Red then Aerith and Barret.

I'll leave the demo at that, I only did the Chadley VR missions that go over each character and the MAI missions once but I've no interest in trying to ace them now. Looking forward to the full game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Already love Synergy commands. I’m gonna have a lot of fun with this combat in the full game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ytlaya posted:

He must have full hearts

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do you unlock the Phoenix fight in the sim? I'm at 8/9 enemies for Junon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Can the chocobo you have in the demo climb walls? I'm guessing no? There was a wall that I assumed was there to show off a chocobo ability, but I walked into it and nothing happened.

Also what color is that chocobo? I assumed it had some ability since it wasn't yellow, but I couldn't tell you what color it actually is. Grey? Purple? Dark green?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

is anything from my FF7R file gonna carry over to Rebirth?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yours actions during the demo will decide whether Aerith dies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GateOfD posted:

is anything from my FF7R file gonna carry over to Rebirth?

You get Leviathan materia for a regular save file and Ramuh for Intermission

That's it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Can the chocobo you have in the demo climb walls? I'm guessing no? There was a wall that I assumed was there to show off a chocobo ability, but I walked into it and nothing happened.

Also what color is that chocobo? I assumed it had some ability since it wasn't yellow, but I couldn't tell you what color it actually is. Grey? Purple? Dark green?

It's a black chocobo (mountain climb.) The demo may just not have allowed it to have its ability for demo purposes but you can see it in trailers climbing stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is it just me being rusty or did they ramp up the difficulty a lot compared to the first game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

is it just me being rusty or did they ramp up the difficulty a lot compared to the first game

The special enemies are pretty ridiculously hard, yeah. It’s irritating.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's because they're dropping you in after a chunk of the game that would acclimate you and the combat is a lot faster/more aggressive than Remake

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you're a bit underleveled for this area too

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RatHat posted:

I think you're a bit underleveled for this area too

The game says recommended level 21 but then the enemies slap you for 1/4 your max hp lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought the difficulty seemed okay. I had trouble but I never lost, which seems ideal.

I had the most trouble with the timed parts of a couple of the challenge fights, since I prefer to play less aggressively. It's hard for me to keep track of everything and mentally balance command selection with the direct action combat.

Edit: it seems like you get punished hard for just wailing on enemies in melee, while playing that way was more viable in normal mode for Remake. I felt like I had to do all the monster challenges like they were boss fights (constantly pausing and swapping characters). I also would have lost against the story boss if I didn't have Magnify Cura on Barrett.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2024

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven’t played the new demo yet but playing the Yuffie DLC recently I found that the game can be surprisingly challenging if you were not prepared for it. Same with what I remember for Remake as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it's gonna be a straight linear ramp from Remake's endgame, but I'm expecting it to have a higher floor since it's assuming anybody coming in already has at least one game's worth of experience with the basic combat.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven’t played the new demo yet but playing the Yuffie DLC recently I found that the game can be surprisingly challenging if you were not prepared for it. Same with what I remember for Remake as well.

I replayed the Yuffie DLC recently and those two wolves near the end of the first intro section stomped me a few times because I was so rusty

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How in gently caress do you make Cloud or Red jump. I have seen them literally float indefinitely attacking once up there and I know I have seen them do jumping attacks that don't immediately bring them to ground after but if I don't have meter and I need to get in the air I feel like the game forgot to say what to do.

Also did Tifa just eat a Deadly Dodge materia or something? I feel like everyone's just completely internalised a lot of tricks from Remake. This game is gonna be stupid nuts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

I thought the difficulty seemed okay. I had trouble but I never lost, which seems ideal.

I had the most trouble with the timed parts of a couple of the challenge fights, since I prefer to play less aggressively. It's hard for me to keep track of everything and mentally balance command selection with the direct action combat.

Edit: it seems like you get punished hard for just wailing on enemies in melee, while playing that way was more viable in normal mode for Remake. I felt like I had to do all the monster challenges like they were boss fights (constantly pausing and swapping characters). I also would have lost against the story boss if I didn't have Magnify Cura on Barrett.

doing the R1 duo attacks builds up ATB for both participants which helps a lot for clearing the timed challenges

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Augus posted:

doing the R1 duo attacks builds up ATB for both participants which helps a lot for clearing the timed challenges

Ohhh that's really handy to know! There's something about the sidebar tutorials in this and remake that make my eyes glaze over and I've missed a lot of cool things like this.

I also didn't realise you brave to hold the button to get your chocobo to sniff

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing to keep in mind is that you have (and can craft) those party-wide potions in this. Mist Potions/Hi-Potions. Those things are nice. Also the potion/ether combo items. They make a big difference given ATB economy, since in the original game I think you had to choose between using precious Elixirs and healing HP or MP.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The synergy skills seem to really go against the nature of the easy mode regardless of whether you need those skills at all in order to to be effective, since you'd have to be blocking to see them. Other than that, there feels like a lot of poo poo going on but it's also because it's all thrown at you at once.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

biceps crimes posted:

I replayed the Yuffie DLC recently and those two wolves near the end of the first intro section stomped me a few times because I was so rusty

:same:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

How in gently caress do you make Cloud or Red jump. I have seen them literally float indefinitely attacking once up there and I know I have seen them do jumping attacks that don't immediately bring them to ground after but if I don't have meter and I need to get in the air I feel like the game forgot to say what to do.

Also did Tifa just eat a Deadly Dodge materia or something? I feel like everyone's just completely internalised a lot of tricks from Remake. This game is gonna be stupid nuts.

Most characters basically got their Must Use stuff worked into their basic kit in some way

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fedule posted:

for cloud and tifa dodge and hold square to zip to an enemy then mash square for aerial combo

Red doesn't really have air options

e: correction tifa's dodge does not send her up in the air, but her synergy move with cloud and her reverse gale skill do

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2024

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is the combat simulator not actually available in part 2 of the demo? I've met requirements for several of them but can't actually to into it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bradzilla posted:

Is the combat simulator not actually available in part 2 of the demo? I've met requirements for several of them but can't actually to into it.

I was able to do it when talking to Chadley in the little chocobo farm.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that you have (and can craft) those party-wide potions in this. Mist Potions/Hi-Potions. Those things are nice. Also the potion/ether combo items. They make a big difference given ATB economy, since in the original game I think you had to choose between using precious Elixirs and healing HP or MP.

I wonder if the limitations of Hard Mode will change since that makes some parts of crafting completely irrelevant if it stays the same. Which is fine, I really liked FF7 Remake Hard Mode.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Finished both parts of the demo and I don't really think the difficulty has been ramped up much, if any from Remake. The mechanics are more or less the same with the addition of the synergy moves. The fiend challenges should be fun though.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Dreylad posted:

I wonder if the limitations of Hard Mode will change since that makes some parts of crafting completely irrelevant if it stays the same. Which is fine, I really liked FF7 Remake Hard Mode.

I'm hoping that Hard Mode gets significantly changed or outright removed for Rebirth. Not being able to use any items on top of hoarding MP for bosses was annoying but manageable in Remake, but with the advertised size of Rebirth as well as the (seemingly) higher difficulty floor those rules sound pretty miserable to me. Like maybe you can only carry so many of each item but still be able to use them at your discretion and/or item availability is super limited or something, but just completely cutting them out is kinda dumb. I never had to use Ethers in Remake on Normal, and in Hard where I would have wanted to it wasn't even an option.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm still trying to figure out what settings I want to use on my TV. I normally don't use stuff like the sharpening or "super resolution" features, but they kinda help some with the blurriness if you're sitting far enough from the screen (where artifacting from the sharpening isn't noticable). I'm also torn on using de-blur. The upside is that it makes movement far smoother/clearer on the OLED (while it's kinda blurred when you rotate the camera with 60fps otherwise), but there's occasionally weird artifacts that might be caused by it (like ladders doing this weird ghosting thing).

bradzilla posted:

Finished both parts of the demo and I don't really think the difficulty has been ramped up much, if any from Remake. The mechanics are more or less the same with the addition of the synergy moves. The fiend challenges should be fun though.

I think it's mostly just throwing you into late-game (from Remake) difficulty immediately.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The difficulty is about on par with part 1, but I can already tell that some of the intel requirements are going to be super obnoxious.

Also the combat got a lot less frustrating once I realized I could make right stick not swap targets!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right, I can't remember if the lock-on was this bad in Remake or if they changed something but like. God drat, it sucks untold amounts of rear end. Has anyone learned any favourite tricks or setups for managing it? Maybe there's a way to fix this with back buttons...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After playing some more I think Synergy Abilities are the key to combat this time. They really are like mini-limit breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fedule posted:

Right, I can't remember if the lock-on was this bad in Remake or if they changed something but like. God drat, it sucks untold amounts of rear end. Has anyone learned any favourite tricks or setups for managing it? Maybe there's a way to fix this with back buttons...

The advice someone gave me in this thread (that's good) is to pause and take your time re-targeting.

Basically never hesitate to stop time whenever you start feeling overwhelmed.