Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but you can't unread it the first time. The first read through it's very common for people to have an early negative opinion of her in the books. She's overbearing, hypocritical, and just flat wrong very frequently about big things.

But it's when you finish the story and see things later on that recontextualize her early story parts that she really shines.

The show can't have that. The books are done and published, and have been for decades. And I'm glad they're not trying to. They're already letting her shine, but are still bringing in some of those rough edges that define a lot of what Nyneave is going through. Like her constantly trying to just find Egwene in Falme and ignore literally all of the dangers. She's just trying to out-stubborn everyone. As is usual.

But there's usually are a redemption right? Fromt the second book on Nynaeve closed the cirlc eon being scared, or arrogant, and then did something badass. In the latest season her arc ended with crying and failing.

bio347 posted:

A thing to consider is that there's somewhat decent odds that you first read the first books in the series a looooooong time ago. Even without the benefit of reread-sight, Nynaeve is gonna read a lot differently to a literal child than to someone more adult-aged.

I mean maybe but I can only talk about my viewpoint as it exists right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

But there's usually are a redemption right? Fromt the second book on Nynaeve closed the cirlc eon being scared, or arrogant, and then did something badass. In the latest season her arc ended with crying and failing.

I mean maybe but I can only talk about my viewpoint as it exists right now.
Except that Nynaeve was always badass in the show when needed. Until she completely and utterly failed when needed at the end of season 2. Nicely setting her up to eat some humble pie and grow as a character. I’m 90% sure she will get through her block in season 3.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just anecdotally, but I just finished reading the series for the first time (I watched the show in between reading The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising) and did not like Nynaeve in the books until later on (probably when she agreed to cleanse the taint). Then she was one of my favorites. I like her a little more in the show right now than I did in the books at this point.

So how exactly does balefire work, anyway? When it mentions that they are burned out of the pattern so can't be resurrected, is that only in this "loop" of the wheel? Or are they just gone forever? As in, next time the end of the 2nd age won't have Samael, etc. in it to support the dark and it could turn out slightly differently because of it? If that is the case it seems like eventually there would be no one left, given how freely people are using it. Also, it would be interesting if the show really was supposed to the next loop of the wheel and we didn't see anyone who was burned out. Also it seems like prophecy may just be echoes of a past loop.

I was really satisfied with the ending and the last four books as a whole. I didn't like the (lack of a) resolution to the Seanchan though. Maybe it is better this way, but I didn't like that the place that makes pets out of people was just allowed to continue existing for at least another century (though likely the most realistic plot out of them all). Honestly the same situation for the religious zealots (White Cloaks).

Perrin was my favorite character from the start but then he became blah for awhile before doing cool stuff in Sanderson's books again. I don't hate Faile or anything, but his character tended to take nosedives around her.

I didn't get the love for Mat until around book 4 or 5, when he quickly grew on me. The way he kept Mr. Bean-ing himself into being a hero was great.

Egwayne was great pretty much start to finish, I thought, as was Rand. There were a couple Rand droughts in the series. It was pretty cool the first time (The Dragon Reborn) because it was unique to see him and his actions only from outside perspectives, but I didn't care for it after that since his plots were often the coolest.

The show seemed to use the Ishamael/Moridin personality from the very end instead of having him grow/change. Was Rand using balefire to kill him? Ishamael seemed like he was getting his desire of true death (though it may just be in comparison to the non-death for the last three thousand years).

I gotta say, the endings of the books almost always were phenomenal. Great writing/setup.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mastajake posted:

Just anecdotally, but I just finished reading the series for the first time (I watched the show in between reading The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising) and did not like Nynaeve in the books until later on (probably when she agreed to cleanse the taint). Then she was one of my favorites. I like her a little more in the show right now than I did in the books at this point.

So how exactly does balefire work, anyway? When it mentions that they are burned out of the pattern so can't be resurrected, is that only in this "loop" of the wheel? Or are they just gone forever? As in, next time the end of the 2nd age won't have Samael, etc. in it to support the dark and it could turn out slightly differently because of it? If that is the case it seems like eventually there would be no one left, given how freely people are using it. Also, it would be interesting if the show really was supposed to the next loop of the wheel and we didn't see anyone who was burned out. Also it seems like prophecy may just be echoes of a past loop.

I was really satisfied with the ending and the last four books as a whole. I didn't like the (lack of a) resolution to the Seanchan though. Maybe it is better this way, but I didn't like that the place that makes pets out of people was just allowed to continue existing for at least another century (though likely the most realistic plot out of them all). Honestly the same situation for the religious zealots (White Cloaks).

Perrin was my favorite character from the start but then he became blah for awhile before doing cool stuff in Sanderson's books again. I don't hate Faile or anything, but his character tended to take nosedives around her.

I didn't get the love for Mat until around book 4 or 5, when he quickly grew on me. The way he kept Mr. Bean-ing himself into being a hero was great.

Egwayne was great pretty much start to finish, I thought, as was Rand. There were a couple Rand droughts in the series. It was pretty cool the first time (The Dragon Reborn) because it was unique to see him and his actions only from outside perspectives, but I didn't care for it after that since his plots were often the coolest.

The show seemed to use the Ishamael/Moridin personality from the very end instead of having him grow/change. Was Rand using balefire to kill him? Ishamael seemed like he was getting his desire of true death (though it may just be in comparison to the non-death for the last three thousand years).

I gotta say, the endings of the books almost always were phenomenal. Great writing/setup.

Balefire doesn't permanently destroy souls, it just makes it impossible for the dark one to grab them and put em in a new body. That's something he has to do right at the time of death, but since balefire does the time rewind poo poo, he never gets a chance to.

The Seanchan ending is really frustrating, RJ had planned a new series specifically tackling them featuring Mat, but, well, illness happened. I don't think Sanderson wanted to change something that RJ had planned so significantly for the finale even if obviously that second series was never going to happen.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Balefire does not kill people forever, what it does is kill people back in time far enough that The Dark One cannot "grab" their soul to shove it into another body. People that are balefired can and will come back through natural reincarnation.

Basically The Dark One cannot go back in time to catch the burned out thread that is the person killed, so when it continues on they stay dead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Right. The Pattern isn't a metaphor, it's literally true. Balefire burns the life threads it touches backwards, but does not delete the whole thread forever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Her arc didn't end. There are 6 more seasons planned.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

mastajake posted:

The major theme of the books are that there are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Time, so while it is absolutely frustrating that we don't get resolution to the Seanchan it's entirely within the theme of things continuing on

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Are there any more age turnings after the events of WOT or are they locked into their age going forward?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lack of episodes is a problem but a bigger problem seems to have been the nature of shooting live action has a lot of secondary issues that require rewriting and rearranging. Sets are expensive; if you hire actors you have to use them and can't just have them gently caress off for seasons at a time then reappear; special effects cost money; actors sometimes quit, and covid happens, among other limitations.
Not sure I agree. They could have done a much closer adaptation a la GoT or the LOTR movies - as in, it is technically possible that that could be done in a TV show format. I'm not saying it would have been easy - or even that Amazon would necessarily have let the current showrunners do it - but it was technically possible.
After all, they have a pretty sizeable budget for the show. And there are plenty of instances in TV of prominent actors appearing in a couple of seasons of a show then not showing up till later seasons (this poo poo is actually beneficial for your budget, have your big name actor like Pike take a back seat as the seasons go on and the cost of getting her back each season goes up and up). In terms of location costs, season 1 GoT had the same or at least a similar number of major locations as are required to adapt Eye of the World (Castle Black & the Wall/Winterfell/King's Landing/various Dragos locations - vs. - Eamond's Field/Shadar Logoth/Caemlyn/Fal Dara). In terms of CGI/effects costs.. well, other shows have done shitloads of special effects, too. And sure, COVID was crap and no doubt very difficult to work around, but that wasn't the reason they decided to do a looser adaptation/their 'different turning of the wheel' approach. The Matt actor leaving was also poo poo but they could have dealt with it differently. Etc.

None of that is to say that it's better or worse that they have done a looser adaptation. People have different opinions on that, and who's to say the show would have been any better if it was closer to the books; could well have been worse. But, I do think it was technically possible.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

through the Lord Dragon, all things are indeed possible

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Are there any more age turnings after the events of WOT or are they locked into their age going forward?

Iirc the 4th Age is referenced numerous times on the epitaphs

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

The major theme of the books are that there are no beginnings or endings to the Wheel of Time, so while it is absolutely frustrating that we don't get resolution to the Seanchan it's entirely within the theme of things continuing on

It's a definite downer ending on that front, but very fitting. While TDO's touch adds supernatural evil to the setting, people are perfectly capable of evil in a world without the Bore . And the Seanchan are evil in the most unpleasantly mundane real-world sense. The Fourth Age isn't happily ever after: it will still have petty politics, grand societal injustices, and awful people in the same way that our First Age does. But people will have the ability to fight against those, so the victory is still good.

Not really unrelated, I'm fine with Nynaeve losing out hard in the Season 2 end. The show hasn't been shy about showing her strength of Power and of personal will, but highlighting her block as a really big problem leading her to some deep lows seems like a good way to get her arc across and sets up some good payoffs later.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It's called The Last Battle but it's not actually the last battle. It has happened before and will happen again. Herid Fel lays this all out in book 6.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

through the Lord Dragon, all things are indeed possible

"So jot that down", spake Merrilin, who knew the correct reply

El Grillo posted:

Not sure I agree. . . .
After all, they have a pretty sizeable budget for the show. . . But, I do think it was technically possible.

In theory maybe but not in practice. And the budget isn't actually that huge -- adjusting for inflation this is very much a *budget* game of thrones.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

IIRC they also had to spend a bunch of the budget on just setting up a production company in Prague.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hey look right now we just want you to laugh in a cage for a few minutes but in five years time your screentime is really gonna pick up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Plus there was a major theme of doing things a little better this time around.... and plenty of seeds that would likely lead to a better future for the Seanchan were planted. Including, you know, their literal God figure coming to talk to the Empress, presumably about their doings.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It shows up before the Bore is made too during what is probably the closest humanity comes to utopia. The viewpoint Aiel gets run over by a guy being a total arrogant jerk before he realizes he just slammed into one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

It shows up before the Bore is made too during what is probably the closest humanity comes to utopia. The viewpoint Aiel gets run over by a guy being a total arrogant jerk before he realizes he just slammed into one

Is that really evil though? Semirhag was censured before the bore, and she was actually causing pain and enjoying it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Is that really evil though? Semirhag was censured before the bore, and she was actually causing pain and enjoying it

Yeah that's a better example, my point was more that even in literal Paradise (Paaren Disen) people were still jerks

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

CainFortea posted:

Was this before the bore or after? Because once the bore was made it was still around 100 years until the actual war of the power. She defected to the shadow after being told she could swear on the binder or be severed according to the wiki (which might not be correct because hey its a wiki) so her being caught for it was after the bore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

Was this before the bore or after? Because once the bore was made it was still around 100 years until the actual war of the power. She defected to the shadow after being told she could swear on the binder or be severed according to the wiki (which might not be correct because hey its a wiki) so her being caught for it was after the bore.

There's not really anything definitive, but there's also nothing to suggest that she became a masochist after the bore was opened.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

In theory maybe but not in practice. And the budget isn't actually that huge -- adjusting for inflation this is very much a *budget* game of thrones.
Interesting - I thought GoT season 1 was about $60m for the season which would be $6m per episode. With inflation since 2010 I would think that's about $10m today per episode today? Same as WoT. I could be getting the inflation adjust wrong though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

El Grillo posted:

Interesting - I thought GoT season 1 was about $60m for the season which would be $6m per episode. With inflation since 2010 I would think that's about $10m today per episode today? Same as WoT. I could be getting the inflation adjust wrong though.

There was an article I read about this. The main things are

1) GoT benefitted hugely from being able to loot all of HBO's abandoned sets from Rome and other previous high budget productions, sonitnhad a functional budget far in excess of its actual budget, and

2) the inflation hasn't just been monetary. Modern audiences expect late season budget GoT from a prestige production not early season. So if you compare against other current prestige shows WoT is at the middle of the pack not the top. If you compare to Rings of Power, WoT is operating off the troll hoard in comparison to RoP's smauglike riches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah GoT S1 looks super low budget compared to modern fantasy shows. Remember the time Tyrion got knocked out just so they could avoid doing an on-screen battle?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That was a stroke of luck for them, because it was way more effective in grounding a bunch of different narratives and motivations. That sequence plus the Stark focused scene right after is a demonstration of tighter plotting than basically anything in the final 2-3 seasons.

But yeah for any current fantasy series the bar has been raised very high and so the budgets are going to need to be higher by necessity just to grab the attention of audiences. For that reason alone I suspect a lot of the other adaptations that were in development recently, like The Black Company, are never going to make it past the pilot stage if they even get that far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i do enjoy how that lady from Rome, Atia? looks basically the same in WOT

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

There was an article I read about this. The main things are

1) GoT benefitted hugely from being able to loot all of HBO's abandoned sets from Rome and other previous high budget productions, sonitnhad a functional budget far in excess of its actual budget, and

2) the inflation hasn't just been monetary. Modern audiences expect late season budget GoT from a prestige production not early season. So if you compare against other current prestige shows WoT is at the middle of the pack not the top. If you compare to Rings of Power, WoT is operating off the troll hoard in comparison to RoP's smauglike riches.
Yeah that makes sense.

Though nothing will ever compare with Rings of Power (I hope).

Rarity posted:

Yeah GoT S1 looks super low budget compared to modern fantasy shows. Remember the time Tyrion got knocked out just so they could avoid doing an on-screen battle?
They did this in Rome as well. Honestly I had no problem with it.
At least in EotW, the only 'battle' sequences I think are that one before they get to Shadar Logoth, where the trollocs are trying to hook the books off their horses with nooses and stuff, and the Tarwin's Gap appearance by Rand. The former is small-scale. The latter is a Problem as far as production and VFX budget goes.

You do need seriously clever/competent people behind the production to use a budget efficiently and to achieve great VFX blending. Regardless of budget.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i do enjoy how that lady from Rome, Atia? looks basically the same in WOT

For a second I thought I had missed Polly Walker (Atia) in Wheel of Time (she would be amazing at some point), but I think you mean Lindsay Duncan, the actress who played Servilia on Rome, who played Anvaere Damodred on WOT.

Seriously, though, cast Polly Walker in Wheel of Time. I don't know as who, a Forsaken? An Aes Sedai? Someone who people are scared of, she'd kill in a role like that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blah you're right - Servilia. Atia was her mortal enemy, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Blah you're right - Servilia. Atia was her mortal enemy, right?

Correct. Servilla was mother to Brutus, Atia was mother to Octavius/Augustus.

Both fantastic actors/characters. Gods, Rome was good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy crap , Polly Walker as Graendal would be perfect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Correct. Servilla was mother to Brutus, Atia was mother to Octavius/Augustus.

Both fantastic actors/characters. Gods, Rome was good.

Now I'm sad Ray Stevenson died because on reflection, he'd be an incredible Demandred

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Now I'm sad Ray Stevenson died because on reflection, he'd be an incredible Demandred

Well drat it, didn’t even know. And yea, he had that presence I could see for Demandred.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Watch Rome again to honor him

He also did a b-movie called Outpost that I'm pretty fond of

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So did humanity just lose the knowledge of how things like electricity, etc. work since it wasn't required in the Age of Legends, or did the Breaking somehow make it all not work anymore, or what?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mastajake posted:

So did humanity just lose the knowledge of how things like electricity, etc. work since it wasn't required in the Age of Legends, or did the Breaking somehow make it all not work anymore, or what?

It would seem to be lost knowledge since someone rediscovers it in the books. He's at Rand's school in Cairhien.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh cool, thanks. I guess I already need to reread to get more clarification on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

mastajake posted:

One of the stories Thom tells is of "the giants Mosk and Merk fighting with spears of fire that reached around the world", which is pretty likely to be an allusion to a thermonuclear war.