Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The punisher is actually a long-range weapon with splash damage. You can sweep 3+ little bugs with one good shot, and the manual reload means you never waste ammo.

Slugger is just pain incarnate, and is very fun to use. I think they should let it close bug holes if you shoot into the hole from a close enough range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tbh primary choice isnt that big a factor as long as you arent bad imo. Some of the weird sidegrade guns could prob use a second pass for performance tho.

Looking forward to the Scorcher now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Waroduce posted:

What is the endgame loop of Helldivers?

logging in successfully

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Too difficult

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'll probably never not use eagles, who doesn't love scifi a-10's

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spudd posted:

I'll probably never not use eagles, who doesn't love scifi a-10's

I'm a sucker for orbital laser cannons (I loved C&C generals), but I loved World in Conflict more

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love the Eagle airstrikes right up until I hit a stratagem jammer and wish I had thought to bring an orbital strike or two.

as far as I've experienced it doesn't matter - if you're outside throwing in, the activated strat ball just disappears as soon as it hits the jammed space and never actually goes off

eagle airstrike + eagle cluster is super solid even at level 7, though I usually run 500kg bomb + cluster now that i have all the hangar upgrades. If a couple other people bring orbital laser, 500kg plus either airstrike or cluster is super solid

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fangz posted:

I do wonder who the heck is setting up those illegal broadcasts on bug worlds.

they were human worlds with nascent dissident leanings that super earth intentionally releases the bugs on so they've got an excuse to send the helldivers in to clean up the place

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

also the bugs are escaped farm animals (although depending on how intelligent they are, it might be more appropriate to call them a slave rebellion)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

jokes posted:

I'm a sucker for orbital laser cannons (I loved C&C generals), but I loved World in Conflict more

I'm glad someone else gets WiC vibes from these strategems. I don't usually play RTS in multi but World in Conflict was a lot of fun, really wish there'd be a proper spiritual sequel.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

POOL FOR NUKE

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Even more frustrating than not getting in, is getting in and not being able to join or have anyone join you. Awesome.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Even more frustrating than not getting in, is getting in and not being able to join or have anyone join you. Awesome.

There was an announcement about issues joining friends that comes up for some folks.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ok, found out an easy way to get past the login queue on pc, even if you have no friends to join

step 1: join the Goondivers 2 steam group. Its open to the public so anyone can join

step 2: on the group page, click on anyone’s name that is playing. It will take you to their profile page. from there, hit “join game”. no need to add them as a friend

step 3: spread managed democracy!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

jokes posted:

I have not thought about world in conflict for awhile but I immediately remembered the carpet bomb that had the range of half a map and caused so much friendly damage

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved calling in air strikes and artillery barrages and all that poo poo in world of conflict. Just a line of super beefy tanks protecting a chokepoint from an ever-growing mass of exploding vehicles and dead guys. It's the first thing I thought about when I called in 2 air strikes on a group of robots

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good guide as to which strategems/weapons/armor/etc I should be unlocking? I'm not very good at following metas in great depth and I usually just sort of do as the goons broadly suggest.

I forget order of unlocks but Eagle strafe/airstrike will carry you a long way, eventually swap strafe out for cluster bomb & airstrike for 500kg bomb. Early orbitals/bridge strats any of the low c/d are decent for lower difficulties - gatling, gas, EMS field, basic precision strike, even airburst is decent for clearing chaff. For weapons strats you can take EATs at like level 3 and use them to end game tbh though you might want to swap out for railgun eventually. Grenade launcher is especially good at lower levels when the hardest thing you might face is like, a single charger. AMR is actually totally decent vs bots if you can hit headshots and still not too bad even if you can't, and grenade launcher isn't bad either.

For warbonds its absolutely worth unlocking the Breaker vs bugs and also the Diligence to try vs bots. Also try to focus on unlocking boosters first, because having a full stack of boosters is really nice and some of the lower level boosters (like the first stocked up one) are basically always-picks, so if you can take that it means that someone with a more advanced booster like stamina or radar doesnt have to drop it for restocks.

Turret strats can be nice but arent super great when you're new cause you do stupid stuff like calling down mortars when everyiones wrestling with bugs and obliterating your squad with friendly fire.

You can go a long way with a loadout of like eagle strafe + eagle air strike + EAT or grenade launcher or AMR + orbital precision strike. If you prefer orbitals something like orbital gatling + orbital precision + orbital gas + EAT/GL/AMR gets you along pretty fine, too. It's mainly about learning how to use the tools you have.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1760425051931742262?t=3Mlqdl5eM_wOSatlrnvD3Q&s=19

Devs suffering from small nation syndrome in the face of America love for artillery.

Fangz posted:

I do wonder who the heck is setting up those illegal broadcasts on bug worlds.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even with railgun I'll sometimes also have grenade launcher to call down because it is absurdly good against 90% of bugs and it is handy to have long range explosives for eggs and tunnel closing.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
yeah having one person in the squad with a GL is really, really nice for stuff like tunnel closing, taking care of spewer stacks, and just magdumping into the mob when youve accidentally stirred up a massive swarm in the wrong place. Good vs bots too tbh cause it cleans up most of a drop in 3-4 shots

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good guide as to which strategems/weapons/armor/etc I should be unlocking? I'm not very good at following metas in great depth and I usually just sort of do as the goons broadly suggest.

Everyone here has given you the galaxy-brained level 30 take and you really shouldn't listen to any of it.

For the first fifteen hours or so, here's what you'll generally want to get:

The Breaker Shotgun - this is the best primary gun. "Oh ho ho but I think the Slugger is better" no it's not, or hell, maybe it is, but it's a thousand medals down the warbond and he's not going to get it for ages
Redeemer Pistol - this is a great little gun that's way better than the starter pistol
Starter Machine Gun - this is actually pretty good until you get into higher difficulties
Eagle Airstrike - this is one of the better early strategems. Napalm Strike is pretty good too for bugs
Grenade Launcher - it can blow up bug/bot holes from a distance and also gently caress up groups or large enemies
Armor - this can really be anything, really, but I think the starting armor is objectively weaker so you want something different. I like the ones that give extra grenades, or the ones that let you throw grenades and strategem beacons farther.
Autocannon - this won't be available til level 10, but make sure you have the req saved for it because it's pretty cool
Expendable Anti-Tank - not bad to bring these so you can crack Bile Titans and bot tanks and stuff, you can resummon them almost once a minute
Gatling Sentry - the Machine Gun Sentry right before this is a trap
Mortar Sentry - badass

Everyone who's like "oh recoilless rifle and the railgun blah blah" dude those things are either super niche or straight-up aren't available for your first twenty hours of gameplay. Yes, the orbital laser is cool. Yes, I'm sure the railgun is great but I still haven't gotten it unlocked and I'm showing almost 30 hours played on Steam (although god knows how much time of that was queue) so it doesn't make sense to tell the level 2 guy to rush it immediately. You get enough req to play around with different stuff, so sure, if it looks interesting try out the recoilless rifle or whatever, but if it doesn't click for you that's fine too.

e: ok i generally agree with luann vanhouten but last page was a whole bunch of eye rolling lmao

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 22, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Phenotype posted:

For the first fifteen hours or so, here's what you'll generally want to get:

You get enough req to play around with different stuff, so sure, if it looks interesting try out the recoilless rifle or whatever, but if it doesn't click for you that's fine too.

The biggest thing is don't waste reqs on the 120 and 380mm orbital strikes, and don't waste medals on guns until you have the defender and breaker. Otherwise do what looks fun.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Phenotype posted:

--- Everyone who's like "oh recoilless rifle and the railgun blah blah" dude those things are either super niche ---

Sorry but neither of these are super niche unless that niche is 'the most versatile kill-everything weapons in the game'
Yes the RR benefits from a buddy to reload. No it is not mandatory - reloading yourself is perfectly viable. The Railgun just kills everything in the game - period.
Your list is otherwise good especially for entry level stuff. The Eagle Airstrike is bar none the best calldown in the game - it kills everything, including buildings, and you get multiple uses out of it on a short reload cycle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm really terrible at this game. I also managed to brain myself with the dropship ramp. :discourse:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

Sorry but neither of these are super niche unless that niche is 'the most versatile kill-everything weapons in the game'
Yes the RR benefits from a buddy to reload. No it is not mandatory - reloading yourself is perfectly viable. The Railgun just kills everything in the game - period.
Your list is otherwise good especially for entry level stuff. The Eagle Airstrike is bar none the best calldown in the game - it kills everything, including buildings, and you get multiple uses out of it on a short reload cycle.

you cut off the other part of that sentence where it says "or straight-up aren't available for your first twenty hours of gameplay" which is where the railgun would be found

Actually, I've never messed with the RR myself, I just know that I've seen it rarely enough that it definitely isn't one of the first weapons a new player needs to beeline towards. You also cut off the rest of that paragraph where I said buy it if you want to play with it, too.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Phenotype posted:

you cut off the other part of that sentence where it says "or straight-up aren't available for your first twenty hours of gameplay" which is where the railgun would be found

Actually, I've never messed with the RR myself, I just know that I've seen it rarely enough that it definitely isn't one of the first weapons a new player needs to beeline towards. You also cut off the rest of that paragraph where I said buy it if you want to play with it, too.

The RR is excellent - if you work around the limitations of long reload or having a buddy (it's insanely powerful with a buddy). Doubly so if the RR user is wearing a supply pack.
However as you pointed out: the EAT fills a very similar role, and only certain difficulties/missions need the raw firepower output that the RR brings versus the EAT's 2-shots. You get 6 shots total out of the RR and pack - and refills give 2 rockets each.
It absolutely demolishes bot missions - not only for taking out buildings, but also for shooting down dropships incredibly easily.
It's a 'better' EAT that you have to kind of work a little harder with, more or less - and still has a use when you get the SPEAR. The SPEAR is better suited for taking out things like Chargers, Tanks and Bile Titans, but it suffers against dropships - which can be very important in bot missions. The SPEAR is also limited only having 1+3 in the pack, with reloads only giving 1 rocket each.
Generally I'd say take the EAT if you just want a versatile option - but when you've got everything, the SPEAR is better vs bugs, and the RR is better vs automatons.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 22, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's kinda true, people here do be giving the equivalent of going "MASS CARRIERS" to a Protoss player asking how to get their early game going

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

thalweg posted:

how do you one shot a titan with RR? I've been hitting them in the face / glowy underbelly and they dont die in one hit

Gotta pop em in the head as they start spitting. Rips it right off.

EDIT: Early game the RR carreid me fairly far. Its good for fast sub objectives (illegal broadcast / spore towers). Self reload is slow but not impossible to manage and its by far the best at removing armor of the weapons. Id set up for anti charger / heavy and go to town. Its definitely a harder play style than endgame aith railgun but was absolutely viable. And the number of objectives it just completes for you is always fun.

Only weapon ive had a pubby pop in voice to say "Thats very handy" when i ran it. (After killing a couple spore towers from half the map away)

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 22, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ZeusCannon posted:

Gotta pop em in the head as they start spitting. Rips it right off.

You can also do this with the SPEAR if you are at the right distance - generally if they are spitting at you, you're at the perfect distance for the missile to hit them right in the face.

To that end I really think Chargers could stand to be 1-shottable if you headshot them with an anti-tank rocket, but you're actually better off popping them in the rear end instead.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Phenotype posted:

e: ok i generally agree with luann vanhouten but last page was a whole bunch of eye rolling lmao

lol i literally said eagle strafe + air strike + eat/GL/amr + precision strike two posts above you? which is like, a level 5 loadout that you can run up to difficulty 6-7. Don't even need to bother with the autocannon or turrets, swap the precision strike out for a laser drone backpack when you hit level 10 and the strafe out for cluster bomb and you can run that setup until you hit 20

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DarkDobe posted:

To that end I really think Chargers could stand to be 1-shottable if you headshot them with an anti-tank rocket, but you're actually better off popping them in the rear end instead.

I agree theyd benefit from a way to one tap or maybe just cripple so that hordes of them can be slowed.

Maybe theyll give us EMS grenades and thatll do. Since ems strikes are fine but hard to weigh against just murdering people with eagle strikes.

Also has anyone noticed there appear to be two charger models? Is that a thing or am i seeing them wrong.

Edit: the AMR order made me try it out and its pretty good against bots in general which is nice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the RR works best if both you and a buddy you play with on voice chat also brings the RR so when poo poo hits the fan and 3 bile titans and 6 chargers show up out of nowhere you can work together to reload fast and start blowing weakspots into their armor if not outright killing them.

Ain't nobody gonna force a backpack on someone else and have that person close enough at all times during hectic situations to reload consistently, you always need to be able to reload yourself.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Durzel posted:

Also - any tips for finding super rares? I’ll be damned if I can find the structure that spawns them. I have no idea of its scale really, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen one.

Late reply since this thread moves fast: Someone in the discord mentioned doing Blitz missions at Level 7. The idea is that they're relatively short (14 minute timer?), the map area is smaller and there's one guaranteed ultra rare/buttplug rock (the one with silver veins running through it).

Ran 4 blitzes... this seemed to be mostly true, but also those 14 minutes are the most stressful 14 minutes.

Also something to keep in mind: If a person carrying samples survives until the end of the mission but doesn't get on the shuttle, the samples are still considered earned at the end of the mission. However, at least one player MUST get on the shuttle for all of the samples to be considered earned, or no samples will be considered earned at the end of the mission.

So for blitz, your goal is to get the super samples and make sure at least one person gets on the shuttle. If the person holding the super samples is on the ground (living) when the timer ends then it's all good. This can happen where you clear enough bug holes but you still haven't found the super sample, so you might have two people at the landing area while 2 people are fanning the map looking for that drat super sample rock.

Also something someone pointed out: Drop samples at the dropship area before the mission ends if you plan on loving off to look for the super sample or get the last bug holes to clear the mission. On PC this is the x button that pulls up a radial, select samples, then let the x key go.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 22, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ZeusCannon posted:

I agree theyd benefit from a way to one tap or maybe just cripple so that hordes of them can be slowed.

Maybe theyll give us EMS grenades and thatll do. Since ems strikes are fine but hard to weigh against just murdering people with eagle strikes.

Also has anyone noticed there appear to be two charger models? Is that a thing or am i seeing them wrong.

I think you CAN one tap them if you hit the unarmored rear end - it pops it and then they bleed out quickly, but I'd have to play around with it more.
These days when I'm doing 7 + bug missions I literally just run 4 eagle strikes and no call packages. Being able to move around and constantly bombard poo poo is way more valuable than having a heavy gun that I can lose when I inevitably die - and you can avoid 90% of the bugs easily. Fire shotgun takes care of the ones you can't (hunters/stalkers).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

lol i literally said eagle strafe + air strike + eat/GL/amr + precision strike two posts above you? which is like, a level 5 loadout that you can run up to difficulty 6-7. Don't even need to bother with the autocannon or turrets, swap the precision strike out for a laser drone backpack when you hit level 10 and the strafe out for cluster bomb and you can run that setup until you hit 20

Sorry if that was unclear. I meant that I generally agreed with your posts, but there were folks on the last page that kept giving answers useless for low-level players.

DarkDobe posted:

The RR is excellent - if you work around the limitations of long reload or having a buddy (it's insanely powerful with a buddy). Doubly so if the RR user is wearing a supply pack.
However as you pointed out: the EAT fills a very similar role, and only certain difficulties/missions need the raw firepower output that the RR brings versus the EAT's 2-shots. You get 6 shots total out of the RR and pack - and refills give 2 rockets each.
It absolutely demolishes bot missions - not only for taking out buildings, but also for shooting down dropships incredibly easily.
It's a 'better' EAT that you have to kind of work a little harder with, more or less - and still has a use when you get the SPEAR. The SPEAR is better suited for taking out things like Chargers, Tanks and Bile Titans, but it suffers against dropships - which can be very important in bot missions. The SPEAR is also limited only having 1+3 in the pack, with reloads only giving 1 rocket each.
Generally I'd say take the EAT if you just want a versatile option - but when you've got everything, the SPEAR is better vs bugs, and the RR is better vs automatons.

But thank you for this! I actually came into the thread meaning to ask about the recoilless rifle in the first place, and that's a cool little writeup. If the ammo is so limited, though, then do you end up having to use your primary weapon most of the time? That's what's neat about the EATs, you just grab em, fire em, and then pick your Autocannon back up.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Is there anyway to look at support weapon stats the way you can primary and secondary? Stuff like the damage per shot or magazine size, etc.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not that i know of. For the RR like other supports you can reload the back pack from supplies. It gets about 6 or so shots generally i think.

Also this game would benefit from a shooting range on the ship. I think.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who was badmouthing the Senator, show yourselves cowards

This thing rules, hand cannon 4life

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Agreed! I think they also maybe got the penetration wrong on it because you can just shoot hiveguards in the face with it and it goes right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

victrix posted:

Nothing in this game will ever be a satisfying as 1 shot-ing a Heavy Devastor with a single bullet to the dome. :clint: