Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Spielberg looks like a sloppy mess

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Spergin Morlock posted:

Spielberg looks like a sloppy mess

i like harrison ford just hangin out

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
6’9” and five wives. mad.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i had no idea he was so gigantic. my word.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

He was in the T-Rex suit, uncredited.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
for all that people say that Jurassic Park the movie is superior to the novel, I gotta say the characters as he wrote them in the book were far more interesting than the movie versions. Muldoon was a sloppy drunken mess once poo poo hit the fan, Gennaro actively played against the lovely lawyer stereotype, and Hammond was portrayed as much more amoral and capitalist than the doddering old man who was betrayed by the cartoonishly fat bad guy.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
who are all those people?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

hadji murad posted:

who are all those people?

michael chricton, steven spielberg's agent, steven spielberg, kathleen kennedy who is now ceo of lucasfilm but at the time was co-founder of a film production company with steven spielberg, harrison ford, and frank marshall who is kathleen kennedy's husband and directed a few movies the best of which is arachnophobia

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fermun posted:

michael chricton, steven spielberg's agent, steven spielberg, kathleen kennedy who is now ceo of lucasfilm but at the time was co-founder of a film production company with steven spielberg, harrison ford, and frank marshall who is kathleen kennedy's husband and directed a few movies the best of which is arachnophobia

arachnophobia scared the poo poo out of 8 year old me so I didn't watch it again for a long time. imagine my surprise when I rewatched and realized it wasn't even a horror movie lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Professor Beetus posted:

for all that people say that Jurassic Park the movie is superior to the novel, I gotta say the characters as he wrote them in the book were far more interesting than the movie versions. Muldoon was a sloppy drunken mess once poo poo hit the fan, Gennaro actively played against the lovely lawyer stereotype, and Hammond was portrayed as much more amoral and capitalist than the doddering old man who was betrayed by the cartoonishly fat bad guy.

i recall that hammond was written similar to the book character and was even slated to die but when they cast the personification of a nice grandpa in the role they retooled the script

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fermun posted:

thanks!

wow, Crichton was a giant

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

R. Guyovich posted:

i recall that hammond was written similar to the book character and was even slated to die but when they cast the personification of a nice grandpa in the role they retooled the script
it's been a while but I don't think hammond was really portrayed in a positive light, this was clear as a child...

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Spergin Morlock posted:

arachnophobia scared the poo poo out of 8 year old me so I didn't watch it again for a long time. imagine my surprise when I rewatched and realized it wasn't even a horror movie lol

Yeah that scene with John Goodman in the basement scared the fuckin poo poo out of me.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

R. Guyovich posted:

I remember the Dinomania doc on the Dicscovery Channel had a shot of some storyboards which made it look like they originally planned to have Muldoon come back and blow the raptors away at the end. I get why they went with the T Rex though, more powerful themes etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mawarannahr posted:

it's been a while but I don't think hammond was really portrayed in a positive light, this was clear as a child...

He was portrayed as reckless because he was a naive dreamer. His bad decisions stemmed from being overly optimistic that technology could solve any problem.

That's a much more sympathetic angle to audiences compared to a skinflint capitalist.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
wait arachnophobia wasnt a horror? in what loving universe? That poo poo was terrifying.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Professor Beetus posted:

They say it because it's a better movie than a hack novel.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

wait arachnophobia wasnt a horror? in what loving universe? That poo poo was terrifying.

go watch it again lol

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

my hazy recollection from reading the book and watching the movie as a child 30 years ago is that the dinosaurs are the bad guys and the humans are the good guys, except for newman who is clearly also a bad guy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

canyoneer posted:

He was portrayed as reckless because he was a naive dreamer. His bad decisions stemmed from being overly optimistic that technology could solve any problem.

That's a much more sympathetic angle to audiences compared to a skinflint capitalist.

cmon

quote:

(The scene begins with anxious lawyer Donald Gennaro balancing his weight on a raft, being pulled onto land, he is very out of place here. The screen caption reads: Mano de Dios Amber Mine, Dominican Republic)

Juanito: (speaks spanish) "Apuesto mil pesos a que se cae." (I bet a thousand pesos he falls.)

Donald Gennaro: Hola, Juanito!

Juanito: Hola, bienvenido. (Hello, welcome.)

Gennaro: What's this I hear at the airport? Hammond's not even here?

Juanito: He sends his apologies.

Gennaro: We are facing a 20 million dollar lawsuit by the family of that worker, and you're telling me Hammond can't even be bothered to see me?

Juanito: He had to leave early. He wants to be with his daughter, she's getting a divorce.

Gennaro: Well I understand that. But we've been advised to deal with the situation now. The insurance company--

(Gennaro slips, and Juanito helps him up.)

Juanito: You okay?

Gennaro: The underwriters feel the accident has raised some very serious safety questions about the park. That makes the investors very, very anxious. I had to promise to conduct a very thorough, on site inspection.

(Juanito pauses, as a donkey brays in the distance)

Juanito: Hammond hates inspections. They slow everything down.

Gennaro: Juanito, they'll pull the funding. That'll slow him down even more.

John Hammond: I don't believe it! I don't believe it! You're meant to come down here and defend me against these characters, and the only one I've got on my side is the blood-sucking lawyer!

Donald Gennaro (offended): Thank you.

Hammond: This is just a delay. All major theme parks have delays. Why, when they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing works.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Milo and POTUS posted:

They say it because it's a better movie than a hack novel.

Crichton is dead so it is now safe to criticize him without fear of him writing a pedophile character named after you into a book.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm pretty sure the reason I think Hammond is sympathetic in the movie vs the novel is because of Richard Attenborough

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

shackleford posted:

my hazy recollection from reading the book and watching the movie as a child 30 years ago is that the dinosaurs are the bad guys and the humans are the good guys, except for newman who is clearly also a bad guy

yep

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Spergin Morlock posted:

absolute same

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
um, it features spiders that can scream and fly across the room? and jeff daniels is poisoned by his best friend and has to explain the broken toilet noises as him shaving his face and brushing his teeth?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UwUnabomber posted:

Yeah that scene with John Goodman in the basement scared the fuckin poo poo out of me.

Out of all the dei ex machina John Goodman was the one I least expected to be hoisted onto the screen.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You can pet the bear cubs if you're quick enough

gently caress, at this point in the thread i was crying laughing

Spergin Morlock posted:

i remember being loving terrified by eight legged freaks and a few years after i saw it i mentioned how much it scared me and my friend was like "the comedy movie about the spiders? i was laughing my rear end off when i saw that." "what? no, it was really scary T_T"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Alobar posted:

gently caress, at this point in the thread i was crying laughing

i remember being loving terrified by eight legged freaks and a few years after i saw it i mentioned how much it scared me and my friend was like "the comedy movie about the spiders? i was laughing my rear end off when i saw that." "what? no, it was really scary T_T"

i was pretty freaked out by arachnophobia when i saw it as a child, but now i think about it, isnt that the one with the "cereal killer' joke

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Ok but can you put Robert Peck's quads in text or is that something you really have to see.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the wheel of fortune scene really stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aj70Ob0O4Y

knowing that mimi might poison your popcorn with spiders

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason I think Hammond is sympathetic in the movie vs the novel is because of Richard Attenborough

100%.

But also he was a total cheapskate in the movie too, if a much more likeable one. Just give nedry some more goddamn money

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fermun posted:

Whoa there buddy

He also made the movie where gorillas get lasers, CONGO

King of the animal based horror comedy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Milo and POTUS posted:

100%.

But also he was a total cheapskate in the movie too, if a much more likeable one. Just give nedry some more goddamn money

To be fair we don't actually know how much he was making, it's entirely possible that he was just real greedy or had massive gambling debts or something

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
he’s a computer toucher, he was probably making 6 figures in the 90s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Telluric Whistler posted:

Whoa there buddy

He also made the movie where gorillas get lasers, CONGO

King of the animal based horror comedy

Congo is a terrible movie but god I love it. Ernie Hudson ftw

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Remember when everyone had the AI generated Bernie avs and a GBS mod came into the podcast thread anll excited that they’d discovered Robert Evans and decided we were all one guy with a bunch of sock puppets because it looked like this?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Remember when everyone had the AI generated Bernie avs and a GBS mod came into the podcast thread anll excited that they’d discovered Robert Evans and decided we were all one guy with a bunch of sock puppets because it looked like this?

no, link the posts so i can remember them another time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

no, link the posts so i can remember them another time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

To be fair we don't actually know how much he was making, it's entirely possible that he was just real greedy or had massive gambling debts or something

I think in the book Nedry massively underbid for the contract since "made dinosaurs" would have been a blank check for anything everywhere afterwards, but Hammond had also hugely downplayed the scope of the contract to begin with so on an hours worked scale nedry was probably getting hosed over pretty bad both self inflicted and not