Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How DID Zoro get two extra heads and four other arms? Just spinning really fast?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

How DID Zoro get two extra heads and four other arms? Just spinning really fast?

The only comment on it is Kaku saying Zoro can "create illusions through his will"

so I guess the answer is haki

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gologle posted:

he wanted to

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Gologle posted:

That was always how I took it, he's just moving so fast it's like an optical illusion or something

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

that jacket jacket guy could wear Brook and have two skeletons inside him

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gologle posted:

*thinks back to theories from Marineford*

zoro is a triplet who absorbed the bodies of his fellow siblings in the womb

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

ragnarokette posted:

That was always how I took it, he's just moving so fast it's like an optical illusion or something

Yeah I took it as a combo of speed and, like, murderous intent. Though haki later was a convenient upgrade for that second aspect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the gum-gum fruit's awakening being Toon Force was probably planned at least vaguely, but the link to Nika does seem like a pretty late addition. The Who's Who and gorosei foreshadowing both happened very late and seemed to contradict previous information (Who's Who clearly didn't care about Luffy the first time he saw him; the World Government would've surely come down on Luffy much harder from the start if they knew his fruit was inherently dangerous).

this is someone who clearly hasn't read an SBS or skypiea

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the World Government would've surely come down on Luffy much harder from the start if they knew his fruit was inherently dangerous).

the man slipped away from cipher pol, a buster call, an admiral, the most secure prison in the world, all three admirals, the fleet admiral, another admiral who was even given an ultimatum to catch him or never come back. how much harder could they have come down on him??? he just cannot be stopped

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean he kinda went after those admirals tbf. They didn't really go after him until he had engaged.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 22, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And like they didn't call a buster call on him pre-emptively they only did it as he was actively burning flags and busting up their poo poo. It's not like they actively had people after him ever?

Didn't Smoker have to actively disobey orders to chase after this dude?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Luffy fought the World Government a lot pre-timeskip but it was generally him starting the fights. I guess the one exception is CP9 to some degree but the Straw Hats weren't their primary target to the degree that CP9 were prepared to look the other way in exchange for Robin's co-operation. And like Smoker but that was clearly more of a personal vendetta.

I can believe there was some plan for Luffy to become the Sun God (maybe via some inherited will or the hat? Or it was just a completely secret property of the fruit?) but the idea that the gum-gum fruit was special and that the WG always knew that is very hard for me to believe in retrospect.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Smoker straight up abandoned his post in Loguetown to chase Luffy into the Grand Line

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://x.com/eagle8burger/status/1760146720304800160?s=20

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

god Danny DeVito would be perfect

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yeah Luffy fought the World Government a lot pre-timeskip but it was generally him starting the fights. I guess the one exception is CP9 to some degree but the Straw Hats weren't their primary target to the degree that CP9 were prepared to look the other way in exchange for Robin's co-operation. And like Smoker but that was clearly more of a personal vendetta.

I can believe there was some plan for Luffy to become the Sun God (maybe via some inherited will or the hat? Or it was just a completely secret property of the fruit?) but the idea that the gum-gum fruit was special and that the WG always knew that is very hard for me to believe in retrospect.

Luffy did the drat dance a quarter of the way into the manga and you still don't think it was deliberate despite oda saying it's his favourite scene

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i hate to say it but i dont think he will live long enough to play wapol in seasons 14-18

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Devito could play the filler bar owner in Loguetown. Little old guy was just there to talk poo poo to Smoker and give Luffy an atta boy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jose posted:

Luffy did the drat dance a quarter of the way into the manga and you still don't think it was deliberate despite oda saying it's his favourite scene

Perhaps Oda could have made the dance important after the fact? And this isn't a coomplaint, I think it's way cool. One of Oda's greatest strengths is being able to pretty seamlessly work something from the past into the present in a way that makes it seem like it was always going to be the plan.

Like y'know that dance happened and went uncommented for 800 chapters and now that dance is everywhere. Kinda makes me think somewhere within those 800 chapters Oda realised he could pull on something fairly innocuous from earlier in the story and turn it into a major payoff down the line, and hell he nailed it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Devito can play Crocus

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

Devito can play Crocus

Gaimon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

they already cut gaimon. unless…..

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Just hear me out. What if Oda is secretly a moron and not a meticulous dude with extreme patience.

Mostly I think the title of the first chapter is the first hint.

Did he plan it 1000dy percent? Nah. I mean, he was just breaking in to the scene and once it hit, had begun to elongate a lot of the stuff he had generally defined going nuts with details. And as he’s gotten money, prolly did even more.

But the boots are walking when the title screen shows up as, “Romance Dawn,” all the sun tattoos, and sun symbology.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
nothing but love to devito but he's turning 80 this year and everyone always tries to fancast him for every new movie or show coming out, let the guy rest

Jose posted:

everyone who does that comparison needs to get their eyes checked, its just a silhouette that's really vaguely similar and also the imagery never comes up again

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I would simply not bring Wapol back. He’s not really essential

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I gotta say I enjoy how the thing that's being thrown into question about gear 3 is Big Fist Big Hurt with no mention of He Turn Into Baby After

We all forget about He Turn Into Baby After

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

you disgust me

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nodosaur posted:

insanely wrong

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

scary ghost dog posted:

i hate to say it but i dont think he will live long enough to play wapol in seasons 14-18

That's fine, just sub him out for Bob Hoskins later

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

That's fine, just sub him out for Bob Hoskins later

i have good news for you

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

you disgust me

Live Action should be free to deviate. Mix it up and have Crocodile and Vivi team up begrudgingly or something if Devito doesn’t make it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Live Action should be free to deviate. Mix it up and have Crocodile and Vivi team up begrudgingly or something if Devito doesn’t make it

the worst parts of the live action are the deviations

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1760502426816467357?s=20

oh these are kinda upsetting lmao

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

It's true. I mean some of it makes sense cause of different format and needing to condense some things for flow. But there's a few really bad changes that do stand out. The Nami back story changes (With her sister and the town legit hating her) being one that stands out as particularly terrible.

But most of the changes have been fine, outside a couple. And no doubt they'll have to make many more as time goes on. But hopefully they'll be a bit more careful about important moments like that one.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 22, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

You sound like you like oregano

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wapol is the key to all of this

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gyges posted:

Devito could play the filler bar owner in Loguetown. Little old guy was just there to talk poo poo to Smoker and give Luffy an atta boy.

https://i.imgur.com/2bNM50U.mp4

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

scary ghost dog posted:

Mihawk taking out Don Krieg and leaving only one survivor was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

:perfect: