Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Alice's obsession with the plastic sword in the burger is so honest. That's good kid writing.

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

someone awful. posted:

it's never been anywhere near 9CWL levels of bad in its entire history. the original artist was just very obviously into fat women and there were some strips with the thinner Rose compared negatively to her larger mother, stuff about her needing to eat more/feeding her stuff, that gave off some seriously horny vibes (in that repressed Catholic way it does all emotions, anyway)

Yes, if RiR was even within spitting distance of 9CL's content I wouldn't have taken to posting it in the thread, even as a goof. Its sins are much more benign: Tremendously twee, that drat baby, treating the humble jalapeno as though it were the most exotic foodstuff only to be consumed by the brave or mentally unwell, and the occasional mild diversion into zaftig woman/maternal fetishism (Rose's mother is a larger woman, Rose plumps up when she's acting extra motherly, the light feeder stuff...draw your own conclusions.) But in the two months or so that I've been grabbing it, pretty much all of that has been absent. I think the baby has only had one panel of obnoxious goo-goo dialogue.

On the topic of what the artist is into, Rose being an expert level yogi strikes me as an addition by the current artist. "Oh, like once a month I'm going to draw this milquetoast woman in an ultra-flexible pose....Somethin' for daddy."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This guy is going to go on a killing spree.

Jesus christ I hate this guy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Can I really deny the biological imperative by raising another man's ejaculation? But what's in it for meeeeeee???

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Yes, part one is missing. Yes, it's like that on gocomics. No, I don't know why, and neither do the commenters:

The full version is the second one down on this page. And no, I can't figure out what the hell's up with GoComics either.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 1, 1936)

Peanuts (February 23, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire: Ka-Outlaw

Li'l Abner (November 25-27, 1935)

I wished for something else to happen in the strip besides Abner stumbling across the troubles of interchangeable richie riches. I got a gorilla. Sometimes the universe listens to you.

Thimble Theater (September 25, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1944)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 21, 2024

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
gently caress that Buckeye.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Green Intern posted:

Jesus christ I hate this guy

He sucks, he's a prick, he hasn't been written sympathetically at any point in this storyline, and - I know I keep harping on this - we've been with him for almost half a year. The entire 2023 NFL season took place between his introduction and now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Look at this pig's lack of balls

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but if it has no balls then where does it poop

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kennel posted:

Look at this pig's lack of balls

I think we just figured out the why GoComics skipped part 1.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I didn't realize that Flash's trademark shirt was armor! Also hell yeah Dale doing more stuff.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bongo Bill posted:

What's the full date on that Apartment 3-G strip that prefigured Loss?
June 11, 1978.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Haven't been following this too closely, but speaking as an introvert myself, working hard to "bring me out of my shell" is only going to make me retreat further into it; especially if you're as annoyingly chipper as she is.
I'm also not sure why he's hanging out at someone's place at all if he wants quiet recharge time(but I blame this on Team Evans not understanding college students, introverts, or people in general). It's a college campus, there's a bunch of places to go hide out by yourself where it's quiet. Go to the fuckin library or something.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Haifisch posted:

I'm also not sure why he's hanging out at someone's place at all if he wants quiet recharge time(but I blame this on Team Evans not understanding college students, introverts, or people in general). It's a college campus, there's a bunch of places to go hide out by yourself where it's quiet. Go to the fuckin library or something.

Even better, Bernice is still mooching off Luann's family so it makes Piro going to Bernice after avoiding Luann weirder than it should be.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I love the timelessness of the kitchen junk drawer.

Scary Gary

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Drimble Wedge posted:

I love the timelessness of the kitchen junk drawer.

Scary Gary

2-21-24 my rear end, this is like the third time I’ve seen this setup

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

* snort *

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I miss Renee already.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 24, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 23, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 22, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 15, 1919)

Us Boys(February 21, 1912)

This comes from the Buffalo Enquirer, which is where I've been getting the Positive Polly strips, and will also be my source for the Dingbat Family from 1912 onward. This day seems to have been more of a trial run for the Comics page, as the page was absent on Thursday, and lacked the strip titles that were common in the era. The page reappears on Friday, February 23 in what will be the standard format for at least a decade. As such, there will be no Us Boys tomorrow, but will resume on Friday. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a storyline, and will resume with little to no context about what's going on.

The Gumps(March 21, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 17, 1913)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pkSc1IUwCo

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (July 7-11, 2005)

First appearance: Gibbous Moon, evil intern! She's a fun character who we'll see a lot of in the future.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

no no no no no no no no no

You Just Know Chewbacca Was Just Constantly Smoking A Blunt On the Beach And Is Now Ambiently Hot-Boxing The Cockpit With How Much THC His Fur Is Caked With

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
HOW DARE SHE SPEAK WITH ANOTHER MAN IN 20 YEARS. You can't trust women, they're all liars!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

HOW DARE SHE SPEAK WITH ANOTHER MAN IN 20 YEARS. You can't trust women, they're all liars!
But see she's obligated to tell him literally everything about her entire life because He's The Big Strong Important Man. :barf:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/26-28/52

Fishie 8/18-20/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/16-18/77

Oh, Vera, no.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hostile V posted:

no no no no no no no no no

Christ on a bike

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not sure what I was expecting, but it was not that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
God bless him he’s trying to be good but he’s just not that bright.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

50% MORE ABSORBENT COMIX/THORN, February 7-9, 1984
Bonus comic today because it's the last strip in Winter 1984

Note 15:

Note 16:

I'm glad the proper Bone comic cut out all the author self insert stuff as well to be honest

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (March 30-April 1, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (March 31, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (June 15-17, 1922; modesty timg for Aunt Eppie)

AUNT EPPIE HOGG, THE FATTEST WOMAN IN THREE COUNTIES: Getting one of Aunt Eppie's wash dresses hung up to dry is a much bigger job than one would ordinarily suppose.

THE GOLF FIEND: When he can't get out of taking his family to the beach, the golf fiend nevertheless manages to put in some good practice on that shot out of the sand trap.

Dok's Dippy Fakeout (February 8, 1915)

Little Lefty (November 6-8, 1939)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
hey remember when Holbrook did a huge anti-trans/species strip about Angelique but it was okay cause she's Bad and deserved it, compared to Bruno who is Good?

I can't imagine how much better he can run this poo poo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Odonata posted:

Strong disagree here. I hate her the most. She's absolute wish fulfillment for the old ladies who make up the core audience of the strip- a 300 pound elderly woman who is such a badass that shes always easily doing physical feats that literally leave the healthy young people gasping for breath. It's like a super hero fantasy for the retirement home crowd.

I don't disagree and I would like to reiterate a little. I'm comparing her to idjits.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

:actually: if you want to get incredibly pedantically technical, Frankenstein is the monster's surname. Adam Frankenstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:actually: if you want to get incredibly pedantically technical, Frankenstein is the monster's surname. Adam Frankenstein.

:actually: the name of the monster is Victor Frankenstien.