Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The game wasn't very good about explaining the synergy abilities. Highlighting the tiny pips under the HP bars would have been nice, at least. Also having some of the super basic manual entries like status effect explanations only appear after you walk to Chadley and do the tutorial missions is sure a choice.

Throwing Tifa at birds is very fun. I'm looking forward to the FF7R2 versions of ridiculous Tifa combo videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ok I literally just had to close the demo out of frustration.

Lock-on seems to not work right at all? Like I was locked onto an enemy and I start attacking with Cloud and suddenly I was attacking another enemy. That's now how it's supposed to work at all right?

Do party members no longer automatically jump to attack flying enemies? Cloud is just standing there swinging at nothing while the enemy floats 10 feet above him. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get him to jump.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rosalind posted:

Ok I literally just had to close the demo out of frustration.

Lock-on seems to not work right at all? Like I was locked onto an enemy and I start attacking with Cloud and suddenly I was attacking another enemy. That's now how it's supposed to work at all right?

I went into options > camera and changed Lock-On Controls from Camera Controls to Menu Controls & Auto Camera. This way, what you lock on stays locked, the camera follows it, and you can swap targets with left and right on the dpad. Having the right stick do both camera controls *and* target swapping by default is completely demented, and after years of playing XIV I can't not impulsively move the camera around during a fight.

Party members don't automatically jump, but everybody has at least an option for going up, even if it isn't always great. Have Tifa use her synergy attack with Cloud to throw her at flying enemies, Cloud can use ranged attacks while holding block. Red 13 can, uh, do spinny attacks I guess?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Does anything from this demo transfer to the whole game? I played the first demo, but I kind of regret it, because it made me not want to play anything else until the whole game comes out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cloud's ranged attacks aren't from block, they from after a dodge, and if you hold square after a dodge Cloud will charge to an enemy in an aerial state allowing you to use a new air combo and changing some ability properties (Braver does more damage while airborne for instance) It's much more substantial than the air combat in Remake.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well now I feel a little sheepish about swinging my sword around more uselessly than I thought.

I went into the boss of the demo with no foreknowledge, and had a pretty bad loadout as a result. Luckily Ramuh carried it for me anyway.. Hardest part of the demo was not letting the hunt #2 birds take off even once. You really have to dump a lot of damage into those shits to interrupt them, and they like doing it at the same time.

Is the Leviathan summon supposed to be in the demo if you have a Remake save, or is that just for the full game?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ok now that lock on is fixed and I know how to get airborne the game is enjoyable.

But also holy moly the boss has multiple mechanics that kick a character out of battle for large periods of time. So annoying. I really hope that kind of mechanic is the exception not the norm.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can target both ways the boss can lock up a character and attack them directly to free them. One of them is hard to break without using ATB for spells, though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

here's a question: do you need to beat the demo to get the Kupo Charm in the full game

I don't want to actually play that section until I have the release but I do want that charm

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's definitely a lot of anger about performance mode after the changes which is honestly quite justified; the blurring looks like poo poo and a fair amount of detail is lost. The more screenshot comparisons you see, the worse it is. Based on what I'm reading, it's a TAA implementation issue.

I'm gonna end up just playing it in graphics mode unless something major somehow changes in the next week, which it likely won't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thundarr posted:

You can target both ways the boss can lock up a character and attack them directly to free them. One of them is hard to break without using ATB for spells, though.

You have non-ATB spell damage options:

- Everything Aerith does
- Dodge with Cloud and fire Blade Beams
- Cloud and Red have a synergy skill (not ability so free to use) that does ranged magic damage

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus christ we are almost a week away.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if this has been covered already, but why isn't Tifa going "no, that didn't happen!"?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The same reason she doesn't say that in the OG

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
They need to have shoved chadley right in front of you in the demo and mentioned he has tutorials for each character.

Also add a drat practice mode.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

They need to have shoved chadley right in front of you in the demo and mentioned he has tutorials for each character.

Also add a drat practice mode.

Somewhere in the Square-Enix dev offices, there's a whiteboard where, in red dry erase marker, circled and underlined twice, someone just wrote "MORE CHADLEY"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

triple sulk posted:

There's definitely a lot of anger about performance mode after the changes which is honestly quite justified; the blurring looks like poo poo and a fair amount of detail is lost. The more screenshot comparisons you see, the worse it is. Based on what I'm reading, it's a TAA implementation issue.

My best guess is that maybe they assume most people are using smaller displays (and are maybe testing on smaller displays). It is weird though. I'd rather they cut other corners, because it really does make things look pretty bad on big displays.

My other guess is that, for whatever reason, they genuinely prefer that look. Like they'd rather have have "a blurry version of the Graphics experience" than "a crisp version that cuts other corners" or something. I dunno.

Either way, I'm pretty confident it's not going to change. I don't think they even see it as a "problem to be fixed."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The funny thing is Chadley has a synergy tutorial but the scaling is such that everything will be dead before you can build enough meter to use any synergy abilities.

MAI is quickly going to grate on me with her cheery comments about how I didn't quite get everything right, just try again!

Having weakened versions of summons in VR if you're a hunt completionist is an interesting incentive. The extra weak version of the summon fight in the demo is barely stronger than a normal encounter, but still gives you the VR mission reward for first completion.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Played like 20 minutes of the Junon demo and decided that actually nah I'll just wait to dive into the full experience from the start when I get the full game.

Which might be a few weeks late and that's gonna be painful. :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Played like 20 minutes of the Junon demo and decided that actually nah I'll just wait to dive into the full experience from the start when I get the full game.

Which might be a few weeks late and that's gonna be painful. :negative:

I don't got a PS5 so I have to wait until at least May, probably MUCH longer to play it on PC :(

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't got a PS5 so I have to wait until at least May, probably MUCH longer to play it on PC :(

Think of it this way: You're getting the true graphic/performance mode

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kind of hope that they would eventually add a way to get MAI to skip the opening spiel when you are going after fiend objectives. Unless it is there and I am an idiot?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It is vitally important that you fully listen to everything MAI says. It will be impossible to understand the full plot of Rebirth otherwise.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Unlucky7 posted:

I kind of hope that they would eventually add a way to get MAI to skip the opening spiel when you are going after fiend objectives. Unless it is there and I am an idiot?

Run. Run as fast as you can to the target before she serenades you with info

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

After bouncing off the game a few years ago, I decided to give Remake another whirl in preparation for Rebirth.

There's a lot good about it but the pacing is killing me. Every chapter feels 20% too long.
Also I got a better grip on the combat than I did back then but I'm still pretty bad at it. I was going to set the difficulty to easy just to get through the plot but I psychologically associate that with tapping out (yes I know it's dumb, but so am I). But I should probably get over that.

Wall Market Spoiler: Man gently caress Hell House. That battle must have taken me over 25 minutes because I only had Ice and Lightning at my disposal. Thank the gods it only took me one try.

Also mini-game difficulties seem to go easy, difficult and 'how the gently caress do you do this'?

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Not sure if you should force yourself through if you're not enjoying the game.

Also from now on if Intel on a boss mentions a element for pressure I'm just gonna restart the fight

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Not sure if you should force yourself through if you're not enjoying the game.

Also from now on if Intel on a boss mentions a element for pressure I'm just gonna restart the fight

This is how it is unfortunately. Weaknesses and resistances matter in remake so if don't have something equipped, you should just restart. Alternatively make sure you are always carrying all elements.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
For rebirth, the dual materias and cloud having elemental abilities is gonna make it easier.

E: Additionally, the auto unique ability materia feel again like they're letting you focus on controlling one character even more

D.Fuzzbot fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 22, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought you could just begin battle regardless?

Anyway thought this demo was a really good showcase of combat, had a blast with it. Really like all the additions to combat everyone has gotten (well Barret seems mostly unchanged I guess) and Red seems real fun. Thought Vengeance mode sounded kinda like a pain but considering how guard happy the AI is he tends to just generate meter whenever you switch off him so even when spending the entire battle on the offensive you still get to play around with it.

Glad its only another week till the release because i'm dying to spend more time with this game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

redreader posted:

I don't know if this has been covered already, but why isn't Tifa going "no, that didn't happen!"?

Something I noticed from watching Chip play the demo is how after Barrett asks Cloud about the beef with Sephiroth, he asks Tifa if it's OK to tell the story and she's basically like "uh yeah why wouldn't it be???"

And then, every single shot of her in Kalm afterwards she's super upset. I really like it being an if you know you know situation, like you'd maybe think she's upset about Nibelheim but really she ended up in a coma for a week once and now her neighbour is telling this scarily accurate story about it and she's freaking the gently caress out.

Just Tifa sat in the corner of the room being accidentally gaslit by Cloud in a way that won't be explained until possibly game 3 in several years

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I always thought she was disturbed because to her, it looks like Cloud is bare-faced lying about all of it, and inserting himself in Zack's position. It must have been a real WTF moment for Tifa. Why would Cloud do that? Obviously we don't find out until much later.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
There is a scene in the demo I don't get.

After they finish the reactor investigation, it cuts back to Kalm, Tifa mentions that the mayor was upset that Sephiroth wouldn't join him for dinner.

Cloud reacts to Tifa saying this with "huh" and Tifa also responds with confusion. I don't get the reaction from each of them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

:yooge: anime grunts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

D.Fuzzbot posted:

There is a scene in the demo I don't get.

After they finish the reactor investigation, it cuts back to Kalm, Tifa mentions that the mayor was upset that Sephiroth wouldn't join him for dinner.

Cloud reacts to Tifa saying this with "huh" and Tifa also responds with confusion. I don't get the reaction from each of them.

Cloud Strife, Shinra Grunt who was probably sleeping at his own place and not going to be kept in the loop about minor things did not know about anything regarding Sephiroth refusing to join the mayor for dinner even though the Top Soldier accompaning him on this mission was probably also invited to this and would know what happened. So perhaps just a bit of disconnect from what Cloud knows about the story and what Tifa does.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Okay yeah, I'm probably thinking too much about anime grunts.

The game really needs a more in-depth tutorial covering how best to use each character and ability. It's annoying trying to test out stuff when the tutorial enemies go down in a few hits.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They are not going to entirely vanish because even with SSDs it still helps to have bottlenecks when loading in certain new areas.

Go retro, bring back the u-shaped corridors of old.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I liked Mass Effect's elevators on the citadel, at the time I never realized they were masking loading screens.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

redreader posted:

She’s being polite and doesn’t want to break his brain but also doesn’t understand how Cloud could know what happened. I think she’s also trying to work that out in her mind.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought she was disturbed because to her, it looks like Cloud is bare-faced lying about all of it, and inserting himself in Zack's position. It must have been a real WTF moment for Tifa. Why would Cloud do that? Obviously we don't find out until much later.

She doesn’t even know Cloud was there, but somehow he knows the details of what went down. It’s loving with her head.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 22, 2024

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
To anyone who has trouble hitting flying enemies:
With Cloud, press circle to dodge and then mash square; he'll throw projectiles from his sword.
His L1 + X special also has really good tracking and damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now that embargo is up:

Rebirth is *so loving good* you guys. So good and funny as hell.