Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Book iim, but I think to be fair it also happened in one of the many many series, but in watership down, when the doe rabbits are picking out other possible escapees from efrafra, why on earth do they pick nethelita as one of the rabbits to escape with them? She's already well known as being a troublemaker and talking sass back to the guards every time she sees them, which so she has some good spirit and will definitely attempt to escape, but on the other hand when you are trying to do a sneaky mission where everyone could possibly be a spy, the last thing you want is someone jumping up and down and screaming hey look at me, look at me, I'm being disrespectful of authority! Especially when she treats it all is a game, and thinks she's one of the cool kids for hanging out with the rebels. That's the last person you want with you on some kind of major breakout scheme.

you always bring the one loud kid because you can slip away when they're being an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah she's really annoying but I think it was partly because they knew she'd get herself killed eventually if she stayed. Or she overheard something and they had no choice but to bring her in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I've read watership down at least once a year since high school actually.

Never was a fan of the old movie though, I really didn't care about the bright eyes song, and was more annoyed at how they skipped over parts entirely. But every single DVD cover had to have a big sticker explaining how the song Bright eyes was in the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
DVD covers for Watership Down are inherently funny because the vast majority of them make it seem like this wholesome family movie about hippity hoppity bunnies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I read The Plague Dogs after reading Watership Down. It's a similar kind of book by the same author -- animals behaving more or less like animals but they can talk to one another. It's a horrific story about two dogs who escape from a research facility and go on the run.

Anyway, the movie has an extremely different ending than the book. Because, I read later, the publisher didn't want the book to end the way the author did; the publisher wanted a happy ending. And boy, it feels that way. The whole ending to the book feels very much like, "But anyway, everything worked out for these dogs. The end!" The movie's ending is what the author wanted the book's ending to be.

The movie's ending is the saddest thing I've ever seen in my fuckin life

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

credburn posted:

You should watch When The Wind Blows, which is another classic in the "of course kids will enjoy this, it's a cartoon" genre :v:

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Pilchenstein posted:

You should watch When The Wind Blows, which is another classic in the "of course kids will enjoy this, it's a cartoon" genre :v:

Yeah and I guess Grave of the Fireflies. It’s in that iffy area of “you wouldn’t have seen it if it weren’t animated” but don’t show it to kids unless you want pale faces and sunken eyes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

QR Code Geass posted:

Yeah and I guess Grave of the Fireflies. It’s in that iffy area of “you wouldn’t have seen it if it weren’t animated” but don’t show it to kids unless you want pale faces and sunken eyes.

My class (6th grade) keeps bugging me about watching movies and I strongly consider showing it to them. "Guess what kids, today we are going to watch an Anime!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Grendels Dad posted:

DVD covers for Watership Down are inherently funny because the vast majority of them make it seem like this wholesome family movie about hippity hoppity bunnies.

Really? Goddamn. I remember when I was a kid the VHS cover of my copy was that image of Bigwig in the snare.

I read the book over and over and over again as a kid. Love the movie too. When I was at university in Southampton I lived very, very close to the River Test, which is the same river the rabbits escape down when fleeing Efrafa, and that pleased my heart.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Really? Goddamn. I remember when I was a kid the VHS cover of my copy was that image of Bigwig in the snare.

I read the book over and over and over again as a kid. Love the movie too. When I was at university in Southampton I lived very, very close to the River Test, which is the same river the rabbits escape down when fleeing Efrafa, and that pleased my heart.

Yeah I saw that cover before, but never out in the wild. When browsing DVDs at stores, they will inevitably be one of these or similar:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HopperUK posted:

The nice blu-ray that came out recently used this as it's cover.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

credburn posted:

I read The Plague Dogs after reading Watership Down. It's a similar kind of book by the same author -- animals behaving more or less like animals but they can talk to one another. It's a horrific story about two dogs who escape from a research facility and go on the run.

Anyway, the movie has an extremely different ending than the book. Because, I read later, the publisher didn't want the book to end the way the author did; the publisher wanted a happy ending. And boy, it feels that way. The whole ending to the book feels very much like, "But anyway, everything worked out for these dogs. The end!" The movie's ending is what the author wanted the book's ending to be.

You're making me unhappy again that the WE3 movie never got off the ground. "The Incredible Journey meets Robocop" is such an easy sell. :rant:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Pilchenstein posted:

I'd read the original Raymond Briggs book as a kid and picked up a copy for nostalgia a few years ago at a book sale.

My wife helpfully pointed out the symptoms of radiation poisoning which, as a kid, I hadn't noticed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

QR Code Geass posted:

The cinemas actually screened Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro as a double feature.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I hope Totoro was first.

Though on the subject of anime, I've been watching more light comedy animes trying to find the best gimmick show. And it is so hard to find one that doesn't quickly turn gruesome or "the entire world is depending on you".

Mashle: Magic and Muscles is about a boy with no magic power living in a world where everyone can do magic. So, plot happens and he has to attend magic school without anyone knowing he can't do magic. Great silly fun.

But of course there's an evil conspiracy where the bad people are kidnapping, torturing and mutilating innocent students and I'm just, can you loving not?

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Feb 22, 2024

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
I hate when there's a scene where the good guys are outnumbered and someone decides to make a heroic sacrifice and tell the protagonist to "Run!". And then they just don't loving run. Like assess the situation and run. Of course it all works out anyway, but it still bugs me.

The worst example of this is in Game of Thrones when Aria is doing her sword lessons with what's his name, the swordmaster. And lanister men come for her.He keeps yelling run. All while fighting off the bad guys with a wooden sword. Just run damnit. She doesn't run until the guy gets killed. Thus totally negating his heroic sacrifice. Of course somehow she still gets away.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jen heir rick posted:

I hate when there's a scene where the good guys are outnumbered and someone decides to make a heroic sacrifice and tell the protagonist to "Run!". And then they just don't loving run. Like assess the situation and run. Of course it all works out anyway, but it still bugs me.

The worst example of this is in Game of Thrones when Aria is doing her sword lessons with what's his name, the swordmaster. And lanister men come for her.He keeps yelling run. All while fighting off the bad guys with a wooden sword. Just run damnit. She doesn't run until the guy gets killed. Thus totally negating his heroic sacrifice. Of course somehow she still gets away.

I stayed in that guys house. He has (had) an Airbnb in Bristol. We had no idea and were thinking "huh the person that owns this place sure likes that guy from game of thrones there are a bunch of pictures with him in" and "huh this prop wooden sword looks like the one from the show" then we met him as we were leaving and were all "Oh its that guy".

nice bloke

but yes, i agree entirely. Its frustrating. And thats when GoT was good no less, the show has even more annoying moments later on. I guess Arya is a child, but still.

It did lead to this though, which was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWa4X1CPsc

VVagreed

Roblo has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Feb 22, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The show was gold whenever it let the Hound teach the world how few fucks a human being can give. They should have invented time travel so he could stomp through every scene of season one telling everybody to get hosed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Roblo posted:

I stayed in that guys house. He has (had) an Airbnb in Bristol. We had no idea and were thinking "huh the person that owns this place sure likes that guy from game of thrones there are a bunch of pictures with him in" and "huh this prop wooden sword looks like the one from the show" then we met him as we were leaving and were all "Oh its that guy".

nice bloke

but yes, i agree entirely. Its frustrating. And thats when GoT was good no less, the show has even more annoying moments later on. I guess Arya is a child, but still.

It did lead to this though, which was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWa4X1CPsc

VVagreed

Lost all respect for the great Syrio Forel after learning he's a landlord

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The leads spend a lot less time playing instruments in Master and Commander than I thought I remembered.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jen heir rick posted:

The worst thing about this is that beats up a bunch of guys with a wooden sword. And then he doesn't even consider picking up a real sword from the guys now laying gasping for air on the ground. It makes it seems like he could've won the fight but decided not to because of plot reasons.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Moore apparently is dismissive of Morrison because he's an old school wizard who thinks that chaos magick is silly dumb poo poo.

I vaguely remembered Twisted Toyfare Theater having a brawl between Moore and Morrison. The truth is...even better? (Requires desktop or viewing with the Reddit app for full effect, sorry; best link I could find.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlanMoore/comments/101wbqi/alan_moores_appearance_in_twisted_toyfare_theater/

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, I never saw the original dune, or read any of the books, but I just cannot get over how horribly stupid that little nose piece looks on every single promotional poster.

I do remember trying to read part of the books years ago, and being kind of turned off because one character's mother was trying to comfort his concubine and say that oh, history will never remember us because we were not royal and married to the king, but we will always have his heart and his children and it is you who is the most important in his life, not that horrible princess he was forced to marry. I always feel bad for the princess in that case because I'm pretty sure she didn't necessarily want to marry the dude either, but knowing you were second best forever, just is kind of sad.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Grendels Dad posted:

The show was gold whenever it let the Hound teach the world how few fucks a human being can give. They should have invented time travel so he could stomp through every scene of season one telling everybody to get hosed.

The highpoint of that show was the season where the hound and Arya were tramping around the countryside.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jen heir rick posted:

In Wheel of Time S2E8 when Ingtar did this to save Perin, Loial, and the horn from the Seanchan, really was not effective. Ingtar charged the Seanchan, and slightly slowed down two of them while the rest just ran around him because they were really after the horn. The two he was fighting killed him in about four seconds. Meanwhile, Perin did what Perin does best, and stood around slackjawed while his friend died and he very much did not run. Such a waste of Ingtar's character arc, especially considering how he went out in the books.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

You know, I never saw the original dune, or read any of the books, but I just cannot get over how horribly stupid that little nose piece looks on every single promotional poster.

I do remember trying to read part of the books years ago, and being kind of turned off because one character's mother was trying to comfort his concubine and say that oh, history will never remember us because we were not royal and married to the king, but we will always have his heart and his children and it is you who is the most important in his life, not that horrible princess he was forced to marry. I always feel bad for the princess in that case because I'm pretty sure she didn't necessarily want to marry the dude either, but knowing you were second best forever, just is kind of sad.

You should probably read Dune and Dune Messiah, they're really good books and the thing that seems to be upsetting you is kind of the point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross post and I don't know if this really goes here but it's weird to me that there's never been plans to do a Dark Souls/Elden Ring movie or TV series. GoT, The Witcher, LotR among others are all pretty popular and god knows they've made movies based on games many times before.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

BiggerBoat posted:

...there's never been plans to do a Dark Souls/Elden Ring movie or TV series.
...yet. Give it time.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Nevermind

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Zero_Grade posted:

The leads spend a lot less time playing instruments in Master and Commander than I thought I remembered.

Irrationally irritating: that there’s not more Master & Commander movies

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Irrationally irritating: that there’s not more Master & Commander movies
Not irrational.

I thought it was a great flick and Aubrey and Maturin were perfectly cast. As an O'Brian fan I was pleasantly surprised.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, like, I'm not surprised that of the two expensive-to-film tall ship adventure movies that year, it was Pirates that got a franchise, but I could wish it went the other way.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I thought it was a great flick and Aubrey and Maturin were perfectly cast.

Jack was, for sure. I can't read Jack Aubrey without hearing Russell Crowe. Paul Bettany I'm conflicted on, but it's not really his fault.

Zero_Grade posted:

I've been through the series one and a half times, and my little ritual is that I listen to the little bit of Boccherini from the end of the movie every time I start a book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) approximately 3 and a half minutes in when Sindel tells Kitana that she (Kitana) will die and that it’s too bad, on the last two words one of her teeth is CGI blurred out for some reason and I get annoyed every time I watch Mortal Kombat: (Annihilation) which is about once a month or so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

More like oldtoothless

Also, MK: A is the gift that keeps on giving

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Is MK:A on Max? I may have to give this a watch. I’ve only seen the first movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Kramdar posted:

Is MK:A on Max? I may have to give this a watch. I’ve only seen the first movie.

Yes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In every objective way possible, Mortal Kombat (1995) is the better movie. However, in any way that matters, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) is the better movie

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do remember trying to read part of the books years ago, and being kind of turned off because one character's mother was trying to comfort his concubine and say that oh, history will never remember us because we were not royal and married to the king, but we will always have his heart and his children and it is you who is the most important in his life, not that horrible princess he was forced to marry.

That's exactly the opposite of what Jessica says to Chani. She says that others may have the marriage and the title, but history will remember them as the true wives.

You're allowed to feel sorry for Irulan, though. Paul is a twat who follows through on his father's plan to marry onto the Imperial Throne, which is why both his mother and Chani are concubines. It wasn't even politically necessary at that point, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mashle: Magic and Muscles is about a boy with no magic power living in a world where everyone can do magic. So, plot happens and he has to attend magic school without anyone knowing he can't do magic. Great silly fun.

I think the best way I heard this described was "one punch man goes to Hogwarts", and I've been meaning to check it out since.