Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

Must be interesting to keep the sole flyable L-1011 in that condition, even if Pegasus launches aren't common (looks like it's less than 1 mission a year these days).

It's not actually the sole flyable L-1011. There is another that is still in flying condition.
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N910TE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

Six hours of flight time a year means they probably have a century of service life left on that airframe

Airplanes generally, and I really cannot overstate this; Tristars specifically do NOT like to be parked.

They might have such a low launch cadence because of that damned airplane.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Salami Surgeon posted:

It's not actually the sole flyable L-1011. There is another that is still in flying condition.

Same Pilot!

https://www.airlinereporter.com/2017/07/rare-lockheed-l-1011-tristar-returns-skies/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any article that contains the phrase "nationalized to avoid catastrophic economic impact to the United Kingdom" is probably worthy of a click

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this L-1011 is also still working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQk9z2R2uOQ

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Whoops!

"The airline reported the aircraft returned due to technical reasons" erm yes clattering through the runway lights is definitely technical rather than a skill issue. https://avherald.com/h?article=5151ede4&opt=0

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid (and already really into planes/aviation) I had a deep dislike of the Tristar. Mostly because we'd take a family package holiday to somewhere in southern Europe most years, which involved travelling on a charter airline and the chances were that it would be an (ex-BA) Caledonian Airways Tristar, or sometimes the one from 'Classic Airways' (a charter operator that apparently only existed to provide other operators with aircraft to cover gaps). Delays, weird long waits between boarding and pushback, lost bags etc. were extremely common - which weren't the L-1011's fault but I always associated them with it. Plus the Caledonian ones always seemed to have inoperative or extremely ineffective cabin air conditioning, so you'd end up roasting on the apron at Preveza or Dalaman for no apparent reason.

Now they're all gone, I wish I'd appreciated the Tristar more. At the time I even preferred the looks of the DC-10/MD11 but my opinion on that has switched and I think it's one of best-looking airliners ever. And it was clearly, in technical and design terms, a very good product.

More generally, I'm glad I saw the back end of an era of variety. Now you fly to somewhere in Europe and if it's a short distance away it will be a Dash 8 and if it's further away it will be an A320 or a B737. I went on Tristars, A300s, 757s, BAe 146s, a 737-200, a B727 (one of my favourite flights ever), some Alitalia MD-82s (which always seemed to look, feel and smell three times their age). I can even remember going on a Flying Colours A320 and being excited to finally go on the 'fly by wire, all glass cockpit' Airbus that I'd read about. When I was very young I went on what was either a BAC 1-11 or a Fokker F28 - it was small, rear-engined, T-tailed and very loud.

But my feelings on the Tristar really prove that you don't appreciate these things until it's too late.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MrYenko posted:

Airplanes generally, and I really cannot overstate this; Tristars specifically do NOT like to be parked.

Yeah, this. During COVID lockdown lots of airliners were parked for extended periods, which caused many issues when bringing them back into service. It can only be worse with a ~50 year old low production run widebody like the Tristar.

They must have to fly the thing a lot more often than their launch cadence just to maintain pilot proficiency - or at least do a lot of training/shakedown flights while working up to a launch.

Salami Surgeon posted:

Sounds like this one's getting flown even less than the Pegasus launch aircraft, as its mission is to sit on the ground while tours of elementary school kids traipse through it.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article77878077.html

quote:

The organization plans to keep it flyable in case it needs to be ferried in the future, but it doesn’t intend to fly it. The hope is to have the plane repainted to the vintage TWA livery colors and ready for educational programs by September.

If they're only doing rare ferry flights they can probably get away with a lot worse maintenance, so long as they can get the FAA and flight crew to sign off on it. (I think the FAA is who approves ferry flights?)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ferry flights also mean zero nonessential crew and absolutely no passengers, paying or joyriding, right? that's gotta allow for some looser standards since the oxygenation, crash safety, and egress of crowds of frightened and/or injured people would be a non-factor

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

ferry flights also mean zero nonessential crew and absolutely no passengers, paying or joyriding, right?

No revenue passengers. My last airline you could ride on ferry flights as non-rev but the process was a pain. My current company any employee can ride on a ferry flight for any reason business or personal. A few weeks ago I caught a ride home on one of our citations because it'd get me home 2hrs earlier than the airline the company had originally booked for me (it was a ferry flight that was already scheduled to ferry between two airports that were convenient for me).

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

MrYenko posted:

Nah the Pegasus is uncompetitive as a launch vehicle, they were the low cost option in the 1990’s but SpaceX managed to bid lower for the IXPE mission despite the Falcon 9 being about 25times heavier than the Pegasus.

Northrop Grumman just haven’t officially admitted that it’s dead yet.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

fedgov just seized an Iranian 747-300 that was used for some nefarious purposes and i was like theres still someone with a flyable 747-300? wild stuff

https://www.scramble.nl/civil-news/the-curious-tale-of-the-emtrasur-b747-300

The whole story is worth a read, it's bonkers.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arson Daily posted:

fedgov just seized an Iranian 747-300 that was used for some nefarious purposes and i was like theres still someone with a flyable 747-300? wild stuff

I grew up kinda poor and I always thought the upper deck lounge was the most amazing thing ever made. My only goal in life was to become "rich" enough to fly somewhere and ride in the awesome 747 piano lounge. With rich people. And cocktails. And pretty women. Awww yeeaaahhhhhhh...

Now I'm an adult and can fly anywhere and there are no more 747s...

:smith:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s considered really bad if people don’t have a safe place to dispose of a lit cigarette, even if they should have never had a lit cigarette in the first place.

That’s what the oily rag bin is for, duh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PhotoKirk posted:

I grew up kinda poor and I always thought the upper deck lounge was the most amazing thing ever made. My only goal in life was to become "rich" enough to fly somewhere and ride in the awesome 747 piano lounge. With rich people. And cocktails. And pretty women. Awww yeeaaahhhhhhh...

Now I'm an adult and can fly anywhere and there are no more 747s...

:smith:

what are you talking about? if you want to do it, you can still book 747s on Lufthansa and KAL for sure. No piano lounge, though.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what are you talking about? if you want to do it, you can still book 747s on Lufthansa and KAL for sure. No piano lounge, though.

I really wanted the piano part.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhotoKirk posted:

Just bring your own

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PhotoKirk posted:

You've still got this as a consolation prize of sorts: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/emirates-onboard-bar/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So speaking of sorrow, does anybody know what happened to that zero-hours 747 8i the Saudis bought then left in Austria for like a decade?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cool story!

In Canada, we still have that Volga-Dnepr An 124 not officially seized. I'm a little confused how that's problematic, but this 747 was not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You've still got this as a consolation prize of sorts: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/emirates-onboard-bar/
And take a shower at 40K as well, so that's even cooler than a 747 lounge.

But, I totally know where he's coming from, upper deck on a 747 was something I wanted to do and finally did with LH 744 in 2018, albeit it was just a nice business class, no lounge of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I always thought nose of the 747 was more fun than the upper deck.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Nebakenezzer posted:

So speaking of sorrow, does anybody know what happened to that zero-hours 747 8i the Saudis bought then left in Austria for like a decade?

Ferried to Arizona in 2022 and scrapped.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/boeing-747-vip-jet-scrapped/index.html

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cool story!

In Canada, we still have that Volga-Dnepr An 124 not officially seized. I'm a little confused how that's problematic, but this 747 was not.

Flying while Muslim still far far more illegal than flying while Russian and always will be, hth

e: less glibly i think it has 0 to do with proper legal procedure, moral principles, precedent, justice, etc. and everything to do with which parts of the world the us gov't thinks it has the impunity to gently caress with however, and which must be accorded at least the bare pretense of respect

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 22, 2024

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

two_beer_bishes posted:

No revenue passengers. My last airline you could ride on ferry flights as non-rev but the process was a pain. My current company any employee can ride on a ferry flight for any reason business or personal. A few weeks ago I caught a ride home on one of our citations because it'd get me home 2hrs earlier than the airline the company had originally booked for me (it was a ferry flight that was already scheduled to ferry between two airports that were convenient for me).

Is there an FAA difference between a ferry flight and a repositioning flight?

My company flew some ferry flights as part 91 and just let the pilots do the whole thing themselves, but sometimes we'd actually put a ferry flight under the callsign for whatever reason. I'm not sure if the "fly this aircraft to/from maintenance" made any distinction vice just "we are at airport A but our customer is at airport B."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Soon after that, President Maduro of Venezuela gave a press conference, stating the seizing of the aircraft was unlawful and that it was only used to fly humanitarian aid and medicines to Venezuela from China, India and Russia.

However, by then material downloaded from the electronic devices from the crew, surfaced showing photos of boxes of weapons in the cargo hold and in front of the aircraft at an undisclosed location.

The Venezuelan government also launched a social media campaign called #DevuelvanElAvion (return the plane) to keep the pressure on.

Despite all this pressure, an Argentian judge indeed approved the US seizure on 11 August 2022.

lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Painting time-lapse on one of the Blue's new Rhinos: https://youtu.be/z8zCb5Yb83Y?si=dRDNof3Fx6iB-u30

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Those were humanitarian guns.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

My company flew some ferry flights as part 91 and just let the pilots do the whole thing themselves, but sometimes we'd actually put a ferry flight under the callsign for whatever reason. I'm not sure if the "fly this aircraft to/from maintenance" made any distinction vice just "we are at airport A but our customer is at airport B."

There's a ferry permit requirement if the aircraft is not airworthy that gives the operator the ability to move the plane to another airport for maintenance. Other than that I'm not aware of any legal difference between the two. From the pilot side they're pretty much interchangeable. I tell my wife I'm ferrying the plane because she knows what I'm talking about, but I'll tell my parents that I'm repositioning the plane because they can never remember pilot lingo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You could make the case that "even numbers mean it's a widebody and odds mean narrowbody" but the 727 shits on that.

The 7E7 (terrible name)/797 was meant to be a 757 replacement before they went long (literally) on the 737.

isnt the triple seven the chonkiest boy still in production

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

isnt the triple seven the chonkiest boy still in production

Looks like it, the A350 is 26cm narrower.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Those were humanitarian guns.

Needed for the humanitarian invasion of Guyana

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Looks like it, the A350 is 26cm narrower.

Really looking forward to my flight on one in business this August. Another checkbox for the list.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I always thought nose of the 747 was more fun than the upper deck.

In 1977, on our final flight home to the US after living in Europe for seven years, my dad's company paid for first-class. Flew on Pan Am Flt 103. Once we crossed over Shannon, Ireland, I went up to the nose, up the spiral stairs and sat at the bar while the attendant plied me with gin & tonics. I was 14, and it was awesome.

One a couple of our transatlantic crossings, we flew DC-10s, and I remember not really being able to tell them from 747s from a (kid) passenger POV.

The first crossing to Zurich, in 1970, was in a TWA 707 (still have a flight bag somewhere). I was only 7, so it was huge. My Mom kept commenting on how quiet it was. Didn't realize until many years later that her last flight before that was in a Constellation to Las Vegas in 1957.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 23, 2024

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

When I was a kid we used to take the Anchorage-Minneapolis red eye when going back east on Northwest DC-10s. I hated that 2-5-2 center row since I have a squirrel bladder.

It also sucked if you were a long way from the bulkheads where the movies were projected, but I have some fond memories of one trip, right against the bulkhead, watching Harry and the Hendersons and the in-flight meal was a McDonalds Happy Meal.

Otherwise the one saving grace was that there was a space by one of the port-side exits in the back that became sort of an economy class lounge. It was enough room for a few people to stand and close to the galley for drinks & snacks. I spent hours there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

[quote="Advent Horizon" post="537955764"
Otherwise the one saving grace was that there was a space by one of the port-side exits in the back that became sort of an economy class lounge. It was enough room for a few people to stand and close to the galley for drinks & snacks. I spent hours there.
[/quote]

stealing free tiny cans of Coke off the bev cart while attendants pretended not to see

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A380 for a one hour flight

https://twitter.com/BlakeJohnson/status/1760860616942907699

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Had to fly that flight once - A380 was supposed to go LAX to MEL but ended up being just a *little* short on fuel coming over, so it had to land in Sydney, gas up, then fly the remaining hop to Melbourne. The worst part was since it wasn't a scheduled destination we had to stay on the plane while they were gassing it up, after 15 and a half hours in the air, so we ended up spending 18ish hours onboard before they finally let us off in Melbourne.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There is a provision for Special Flight Permits to be issued. These allow you to make pre-arranged flights with the aircraft in an un-airworthy condition. This can be due to expired inspections, a lack of airworthiness certificate (common for new-build export customers,) or for non-functional components or systems that are required for flight by the Type Certificate.

These are commonly called Ferry Permits, and are distinct from a simple repositioning flight where the aircraft is otherwise operated under Part 91 or under the requirements of an operating certificate issued under parts 135 or 121.

As an example, the Constellation owned by Kermit Weeks has a long and sordid history with ferry permits:

quote:

-Sold to Proimex International Ltd on May 20, 1976 ferried to Fort Lauderdale that same month
-Sold to Aeroborne Enterprises September 1980 and restoration begun
-Sold to Maine Coast Airways (Maurice Roundy) March 1986
-Aircraft restored 1986 to August 1988
-First attempt at ferry flight to Auburn-Lewiston, ME on August 18, 1988 resulted in an emergency landing at West Palm Beach Airport, FL after about a ten-minute flight
-Second attempt at ferry flight on September 19, 1988 resulted in an emergency landing at Sanford Airport, FL after about a one-hour flight
-Parked at Sanford with only intermittent maintenance and engine runs from September 1988 to early 2000
-Restored by Maurice Roundy early 2000 to October 2001
-Successful thirty-minute ferry flight October 19, 2001 from Sanford to Kermit Weeks "Fantasy of Flight Museum" in Polk, FL

Fuckin thing took twenty five years and three legs to get from Fort Lauderdale to Orlampa. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Qantas breaking out the big boy to move Taylor Swift fans due to weather impacts at Sydney

A380 to do a Melbourne to Sydney trip, usually a one hour domestic flight, sure it is the fourth busiest air route in the world, but this is to ensure multiple flights worth of passengers can go given the A380 is rated for worse conditions than 737s which usually do the trip.

It'll be from the international terminals too, given the domestic terminals don't have the proper skybridges, otherwise planing and de-planing would take longer than the flight itself if it had to be done on the tarmac.

https://twitter.com/BlakeJohnson/status/1760860616942907699?t=YXszWcjMSdm58dffvOuiVg&s=19