Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like Dune 2 is only going to do ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitch.tv/madameweb247

Someone has been streaming Madame Web on repeat on Twitch for the last 18 hours.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I can't help but suspect that Dakota Johnson's give no fucks attitude in what's meant to be the promotional tour is coloured in part by a bunch of other actresses in a similar position in their careers hyping up Dune 2 and the buzz surrounding that movie. I bet she really wishes her previous agent got her a role as Princess Irulan or Lady Fenring instead of... Cassandra Webb.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mordiceius posted:

Someone has been streaming Madame Web on repeat on Twitch for the last 18 hours.

No better time to watch it!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

khwarezm posted:

I can't help but suspect that Dakota Johnson's give no fucks attitude in what's meant to be the promotional tour is coloured in part by a bunch of other actresses in a similar position in their careers hyping up Dune 2 and the buzz surrounding that movie. I bet she really wishes her previous agent got her a role as Princess Irulan or Lady Fenring instead of... Cassandra Webb.

Dune was not a big hit. It didn’t even make its money back domestically. It made a modest 400 million worldwide for 12th place on they year, slightly behind Eternals and Sing 2

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

khwarezm posted:

She jumped in being 50 Shades poo poo. Like she wanted to clear her poo poo straight up/full at start. She don't get a second starter go, c'mon man. She knows.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DeimosRising posted:

Dune was not a big hit. It didn’t even make its money back domestically. It made a modest 400 million worldwide for 12th place on they year, slightly behind Eternals and Sing 2

Doesn't matter, I'll bet good money that Dune 2 will comfortably outperform Madame Web, and it will probably surprise people at the box office (the Dune 1 rerelease made something like 30 million). More importantly, its an interesting movie made by an interesting filmmaker that's got an all-star cast and seems like it will be a smash with the critics. Johnson seems like someone who really, really wants to be taken more seriously as a real actress and I think she has the ability if she could just stop ending up in crap.

Monica Bellucci posted:

She jumped in being 50 Shades poo poo. Like she wanted to clear her poo poo straight up/full at start. She don't get a second starter go, c'mon man. She knows.

50 Shades was probably for her what Twilight was for Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, a massive hit that they actually hated having to be in and deal with the reputation they got, but which at least raised their profile enough to get proper roles.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 20, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Yeah she couldn’t just be complaining about a production gone wrong; it has to be because Dune 2, specifically, looks so good. Are you hearing yourself talk

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vegetable posted:

Yeah she couldn’t just be complaining about a production gone wrong; it has to be because Dune 2, specifically, looks so good. Are you hearing yourself talk

I just think it colours things, its not like Madame Web was ever going to be good but it looks extra bad compared to the other high profile movie coming out, especially since comic book movies generally are souring.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DeimosRising posted:

It got a same day HBO Max release iirc which probably hurt it a fair bit at the box office.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I'm sure actresses experience some bad fear of missing out when two movies released close to each other get such dramatically different reception. Can't be sure though. I haven't actually seen Johnson in any good movie but I've heard that she's good in Bad Times at the El Royale.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Johnson has always been a bit of a poo poo-stirrer, like the Ellen thing or the lime thing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It got a same day HBO Max release iirc which probably hurt it a fair bit at the box office.

No way. Black widow had the same thing and made a blackbillion widollars. Dune is a complete failure and flop in every way.
#restorerheduneverse

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Went to see it today and while the movie was bad the extremely online 20-something A-List grognards laughing sarcastically at every scene were worse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dpkg chopra posted:

Went to see it today and while the movie was bad the extremely online 20-something A-List grognards laughing sarcastically at every scene were worse.

that's not what grognard means

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ccs posted:

Superheroes have fallen, now Chalamets will rule the cinema.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

that's not what grognard means

thanks for educating me friend. The people at the theater were still insufferable whatever you want to call them

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mordiceius posted:

I like to imagine Twitch reaching out to Sony to see if they want to shut it down and the Sony rep just saying "Nah...nah, we don't care."

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for this, that was almost certainly the most enjoyable way to watch this one.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who had this idea bouncing around in their head for the last month or so.

I'm confused about the ADR thing, I'm guessing its due to a rewrite, but what kind of rewrite would require you to re-do literally all of the villains dialogue but nobody elses?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If I had to hazard a guess, originally he had a motivation that wasn't "they're all gonna kill me in the future", probably something to do with control over the magic spider that makes spider-people. In the dream sequence there's a line about them stealing it and the sequence itself has been totally mashed up in a way that suggests it used to be completely different.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

If I had to hazard a guess, originally he had a motivation that wasn't "they're all gonna kill me in the future", probably something to do with control over the magic spider that makes spider-people. In the dream sequence there's a line about them stealing it and the sequence itself has been totally mashed up in a way that suggests it used to be completely different.

I guess only having to change his dialogue makes more sense than I originally thought, since it seems he's the only character with a goal other than "Survive".

And they also changed his goal to "Survive (sone nebulous point in the future)".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It was critically well received and it has no actor in it can say it's gonna hurt their standing. Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 didnt do amazing either but Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas etc did

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Gripweed posted:

I guess modern audiences still aren’t interested in movies that tell women’s stories :(

I think they mainly aren't interested in movies that suck.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I'm confused about the ADR thing, I'm guessing its due to a rewrite, but what kind of rewrite would require you to re-do literally all of the villains dialogue but nobody elses?

Well maybe you have a James Bond movie in which the villain's plot revolves around release a virus, but the movie was set to release in April 2020, so you change it to be "nanobots" instead.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

This is a minor thing, but for anyone who’s seen it, is there a reason why she’s Julia Cornwall instead of Carpenter? Seems like such an odd thing to change.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I am half-watching this during law school at the moment, and it's somehow more boring than the class. God drat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

nemesis_hub posted:

This is a minor thing, but for anyone who’s seen it, is there a reason why she’s Julia Cornwall instead of Carpenter? Seems like such an odd thing to change.

Her subplot is about her being estranged from her father's new family so I guess at some point she was going to change name?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

josh04 posted:

The leaks revolved around him trying to kill Peter before he's born and the Spider-Girls were protecting him. Which makes complete sense instead of him having a vision that they would kill him so he wants to kill them first.

Also brings some urgency to the birth scene which they tried to put a bunch of drama around but it really didn't matter except for an easter egg.

So I think a lot was changed from him trying to get through the girls to kill Mary before Peter is born to just wanting to kill them because otherwise they kill him in the future.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SolarFire2 posted:

I think the evidence is very strongly against this

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

madameweb247 has fallen :negative:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SolarFire2 posted:

:thunk:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I liked the part at the end where the baddie calls her a webcrawler, but she’s like “I’m not a webcrawler… I’m a netscape navigator!” and then uses the future to pwn him.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

I feel like Dune 2 is only going to do ok.

The SNL curse strikes again!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I liked the part at the end where the baddie calls her a webcrawler, but she’s like “I’m not a webcrawler… I’m a netscape navigator!” and then uses the future to pwn him.

gently caress now i can't watch this movie without being disappointed

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

you did it it better but i got there first

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's not good, but I had more fun with this dopey movie than the Eternals

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
This film will remain worthless until someone writes an Eminem rap for it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQqtHYWF6wA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TomZohar/status/1760412432940576946?s=20

Of course they're just cribbing after true classics of design.