Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good news is repainting not the whole wall worked well I can't tell where I rolled on paint so realistic I painted about 1/3 of the walls instead of it all.

I used plastic then cloth drop cloth and then a piece of cardboard for the paint and roller and all that poo poo on top of that... No fuckin spills so I'm happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Water usage came in for last month.

68,825 gallons.

:).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

Water usage came in for last month.

68,825 gallons.

:).

:rip:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You know you don't need to empty and fill the pool every week right, there's chemicals to keep it clean

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depends on the pool, but looks like he's draining and refilling it 2.5x a week to me

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I will not apologize for my eel pit

https://youtu.be/bcbXdT0VHWw?si=xl9K14Uko-loe-AT

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently Basement Mining lady with monotone voice

1. Got some kind of hand wavey approval from the city, after being reported
2. Revealed her giant Minecraft world she's been working on for ~a decade the other day

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I won't believe her about getting approval on a single drat thing until she starts posting mining vids again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
i wouldnt be surprised if approval was contingent on her stopping any further work.

Anyway, new setup is done, but not yet tested. Before I commit - I have been wondering. Everything I have seen online indicates the importance of a vent for your sink pipe within, say, a dozen feet.

I am fairly certain no such vent exists. Maybe further down the line towards the bathrooms, but definitely not within twelve feet.

Should I try to install one, or can I safely ignore the idea that vents exist and continue on my merry way without worrying about it for now?

And how bad does this look in general (before I start gluing again)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 22, 2024

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I have finally passed the critical mass of fluorescent tubes out in my garage that I want to go ahead and replace them all with LED tubes. Two questions:

- Do I go ballast compatible or bypass? I am thinking bypass just because in my mind it eliminates one more thing to fail, even if it comes with an extremely minor amount of wiring in each fixture to do the bypass
- Does anyone have a good brand for LED tubes? I need 4ft T8s.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Is this what it looks like and the reason my house has such bad water pressure?

This is a few feet from where the water first comes into my house in the basement.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

King Burgundy posted:

This is a few feet from where the water first comes into my house in the basement.

Without getting into the nitty gritty details, pressure is essentially constant.

But...
looking at that

I cannot tell if it is going from 3/4" to 1/2"
or if it is 3/4" to 1/4"

Getting it fixed might help.

Or you might have low pressure.
You can get a pressure gauge and affix to a sink or elsewhere and see what kind of pressure you have inside...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Senor P. posted:

Without getting into the nitty gritty details, pressure is essentially constant.

But...
looking at that

I cannot tell if it is going from 3/4" to 1/2"
or if it is 3/4" to 1/4"

Getting it fixed might help.

Or you might have low pressure.
You can get a pressure gauge and affix to a sink or elsewhere and see what kind of pressure you have inside...

I think it is going from a 3/4 to a 1/2. So my whole house is on 1/2, essentially, right?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

ROJO posted:

I have finally passed the critical mass of fluorescent tubes out in my garage that I want to go ahead and replace them all with LED tubes. Two questions:

- Do I go ballast compatible or bypass? I am thinking bypass just because in my mind it eliminates one more thing to fail, even if it comes with an extremely minor amount of wiring in each fixture to do the bypass

I planned to go ballast bypass for my kitchen light anyway, just to have one less device in the circuit. When I removed the bulbs and cover to get the lay of the land, one of the ballasts had already leaked some, so that was an easy decision from there.

I used Sylvania 41092 and have been happy with them. I wanted high lumens, high color temperature, and high CRI and I think it was one of the few at the time that local hardware store had as a CRI 90+.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 23, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

*sigh*

Noticed a few drops of water right around the baseboard/tile interface (there's maybe a half mm of gap between them) in the second bathroom. Wipe it up, not much at all. Think the amount you'd spill if you accidentally tipped a full glass slightly while carrying it and some sloshed over. Small wad of toilet paper more than sufficed to clean it up. Hrm.

Watch it for a couple days, nothing. Until it shows up again. HMMMM. Again, not a terrible amount. This bathroom doesn't get used much at all by us (hence the kitty litter) so it's not like someone was showering or washing their hands and splashed some around.

Worse, it seems to be coming from BEHIND the baseboard, i.e. in the wall.

Ok, maybe it's really piss. Cats can be assholes, maybe the litter wasn't clean enough and one of the little pricks pissed on the tile. I mean, it doesn't LOOK like piss but maybe it's a very well hydrated cat? Sniff it and no, this is water. I have never in my life been so disappointed that something wasn't cat piss.

So now I get to rip open the wall and try to figure out if there's a pinhole leak in a pipe or something.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't immediately go to ripping out the wall. See if you can figure out what the water correlates to. Since it isn't always there, it can't be on a normally pressurized supply line. You can try things that would introduce water into the drains or fittings like running the shower for a while.

If running water in the shower and faucet or flushing the toilet doesn't cause the water to show up, you can try being a bit messy and spilling water where it would be likely to fall out of the tub or the sink. What might be happening is water is simply traveling along the crack at the bottom of the baseboard, until it finds a point to flow out of and be visible.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Might even try putting a blacklight on there to see if it really is the cat going to the bathroom in the wrong spot... that might clear up whether it's a plumbing leak or not

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cat pee is really hard to mistake with a smell test.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fresh urine - even cat urine - may smell like cornflakes or oatmeal, and may be clear.

If you want to be sure: throw a tissue on it & wait a few hours

One way to test for a leak source is to lay a paper towel down around the area & check on it occasionally.

Can you post a photo of the area in question? Maybe a couple, showing the fixture layout?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you don't already own a moisture meter, I would get one. Stab that thing into the wall or baseboard before you ever think about tearing anything open.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ROJO posted:

What kind of fixtures are they? Is this just a bunch of shop lights screwed to the ceiling and plugged into ceiling outlets? If so you may consider just swapping the whole fixture. Your questions indicate that you've done the research but perhaps overlooked the obvious solution.

https://www.costco.com/feit-4000-lumen-shop-light%2c-2-pack.product.4000101066.html

I bought five packs of these last year for my garage and basement and I'm a big fan.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A few things:

1) the bathroom isn't used by anyone other than the cats. To the point where we have to make sure to flush the toilet, run the sinks, run the shower etc. once every couple of weeks to make sure things don't get hosed up.

2) it's not cat urine. Believe me I very much wish it was.

3) with all the water in the house turned off (edit: as in no running faucets, no filling toilets etc) there's a slight sound of moving water in one of the walls. The kind of pipe hiss you get if a tap is open very slightly. With the water to the house turned off with the master valve it goes away.

4) already checked all the assorted nearby pipes for leakage. Nothing on this side of the wall. My initial thought was that maybe it was condensation weeping and puddling since we've had some cold weather, but nope.

Ripped open the wall in the spot right where the water is showing up and it was dry, but there were signs of it wicking along the bottom of the trim piece. The idiot POs put the trim behind a trendy vanity on legs that has the sink going into it so I can't just crowbar it off easily. But I did notice some insulation behind it was damp, which means this water has been there long enough to get wicked up into that. It's not a large amount, but it's noticeable. And, again, if this was cat piss it would have REEKED of it, with how little water I've been seeing that damp insulation had to have been sponging it up for a few days at least.

At this point I just said gently caress it and called the plumber. They're out here in a few hours and have carte blanche to tear open walls.

I really don't give a gently caress about dry wall. That's an easy fix and one I can take care of over a weekend. I just don't want a slow leak behind my walls causing serious damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sirotan posted:

If you don't already own a moisture meter, I would get one. Stab that thing into the wall or baseboard before you ever think about tearing anything open.

FWIW I'm totally fine with opening up dry wall. Patching and repairing dry wall is easy as hell. Really you just have to not be a total ogre and make decent cuts with a proper dry wall cutting tool. The most annoying part is painting the wall after.

Probably the best thing about owning a place is the ability to just sigh and say "gently caress it I'm going in" if you have even the slightest suspicion that something hosed up is happening behind a few dollars of dry wall and paint.

On the upside I also found a very, very old mouse nest in the wall (complete with skeleton) and cleared that out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone have any experience with any of these modular furniture brands like Burrow? We've got a nearly 15 year old Ikea sectional that's basically falling apart, and we're ready to replace it, and can afford something "nice". We were originally looking at Ikea because we've certainly gotten our moneys worth out of what we had before, so we're not adverse to buying there again. But especially with cats that like to scratch, something like Burrow with their fabric that they claim is nearly scratch proof, I'm very intrigued.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

What kind of fixtures are they? Is this just a bunch of shop lights screwed to the ceiling and plugged into ceiling outlets? If so you may consider just swapping the whole fixture. Your questions indicate that you've done the research but perhaps overlooked the obvious solution.

https://www.costco.com/feit-4000-lumen-shop-light%2c-2-pack.product.4000101066.html

I bought five packs of these last year for my garage and basement and I'm a big fan.
Are these direct wire? 2 of them for $30 is on par/cheaper than replacing bulbs.

Oh, nevermind, zoomed in and they're plug-in

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 22, 2024

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

FISHMANPET posted:

Anyone have any experience with any of these modular furniture brands like Burrow? We've got a nearly 15 year old Ikea sectional that's basically falling apart, and we're ready to replace it, and can afford something "nice". We were originally looking at Ikea because we've certainly gotten our moneys worth out of what we had before, so we're not adverse to buying there again. But especially with cats that like to scratch, something like Burrow with their fabric that they claim is nearly scratch proof, I'm very intrigued.

We got a Sactional, and are quite happy with it. It wasn't cheap, but the flexibility was worth it since we hadn't found a house yet and weren't sure what layout we'd end up needing. We also had cat clawing concerns and chose the corded velvet covers (based on their recommendation), and have had no scratching issues. The covers are washable / replaceable as well, in case scratching or hairballs happen. Also, one of us liked the softer cushions and one liked the regular ones, so we were able to order one single softer cushion for me - it doesn't look perfect, but comfort comes first!

If you know a designer, they can get you 20% off.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 22, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Homeowners: Believe me, I wish it was cat piss

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Re cutting into walls.

A cheap USB endoscope (random example: https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Fantronics-Waterproof-Borescope-Adjustable/dp/B071HYRPND) is helpful for looking behind things while only making a hole that you can spackle over. Of if you're lucky and your dywall/paster installers were high that day, you can sometimes slip it between the wall and a plug/switch box.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Re cutting into walls.

A cheap USB endoscope (random example: https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Fantronics-Waterproof-Borescope-Adjustable/dp/B071HYRPND) is helpful for looking behind things while only making a hole that you can spackle over. Of if you're lucky and your dywall/paster installers were high that day, you can sometimes slip it between the wall and a plug/switch box.

I really need to get one. I mean, I kind of have one, but the focal length is only like 1mm off the lens because it's deigned to be used for a different mutual interest of ours (borescope).

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

King Burgundy posted:

Hard to tell from the photo, but if the lateral coming into the house is galvanized steel it may have a fair bit of rust and mineral buildup on the inside constricting the flow.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Good news: New sink setup does, finally, work fine. Tested on its own before hooking it up to the rest of the system.

Bad news: The rest of the system apparently doesn't work. Been going at it with a 50 foot auger for about an hour new digging through all sorts of poo poo and still haven't gotten to the end of the pipe (almost all some really lovely looking white stuff). There's a very good chance the previous piping actually would have worked fine if not for this, so that sucks!

I figured at some point the drain from the kitchen sink would join with stuff like the bathroom drains, but as far as I can tell that never happens inside the house (when I moved in, I got drain cleaners to clear that whole sequence of pipes and check it out pretty thoroughly, I posted about it in the thread back when). Maybe it's time to spend another few days trying to find another professional drain cleaning service or something. That poo poo was super expensive last time though, drat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

No, no, I've gotten in this deep on my own, and I'm going to finish this myself or die regretting my decisions.

If I call in a professional now, the house wins.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Homeowners: If I call in a professional now, the house wins

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Accidentally cross posted in the other home thread but whatever.

Good news every one! We found the leak!

Bad news everyone! It’s almost certainly in the slab! :shepspends:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Beef Of Ages posted:

Homeowners: If I call in a professional now, the house wins

Beautiful.

Cyrano4747 posted:

We found...

...It’s almost certainly...

Did you? Did you really find the leak? :unsmigghh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard. But seriously, I would have hired a professional arsonist by now.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Beef Of Ages posted:

Homeowners: The house always wins

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Homeowners: Believe me, I wish it was cat piss