Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Oh boy, new Pulse Elites, can't wait to try them on Helldivers tonight!

MOTHERFUCKER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i mean if you like just watching explosions happen that don't kill any bad guys do you, the rest of us can take the ones that have huge explosions and also kill bad guys

Sounds like a skill issue

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it's really weird how many problems in this game can be solved by joining a steam friend's game. i've gotten out of three or four soft locks by doing it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

The 380 feels like a stratagem for when you are either alone and running, or are passing by big base and feel like coming back later and just dropping arty on it as you walk by

Against robots on suicide or harder I always bring it. You end up with so many guys on your tail coming in from multiple directions you can drop your 380s and 120s to completely destroy a postcode and anything standing in it shooting at you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It feels like a waste to bring any of the bombardment strategems imo. They don't, usually, destroy buildings or nail the hive/factory holes or anything and always seem to drop their explosions between the swarms of enemies rather than on top of them. Meanwhile calling in the air strike plane thing will just carpet bomb a whole area, take out any buildings or spawners and then kill anything in the vicinity.

Precision orbital strike is solid though, if you can time it well enough so the enemy doesn't just walk out of its range.

Which is my complaint about the offensive strategems. All of the eagle ones are just stupid fast to go off, super efficient. Everything else, save for the lasers which have limited deployment, feels incredibly slow and just as likely to miss or kill you out of spite as it is to actually hit what you threw it at or set it up to trap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

got in the game but can't get into a party with my friends :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

explosivo posted:

got in the game but can't get into a party with my friends :smith:

Try turning on crossplay if you haven't. Fixed this issue for me on PC.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I don't own the game(and probably won't until they pick a sane loving anticheat), but:

Just a warning, apparently people have already figured out how to cheat samples onto other people, which is what they specifically said the worst, most controversial anticheat in the industry was there to avoid lol

If this happens you basically have to choose between keeping it and hope you don't get nuked for "cheating" when a banwave occurs, or contact support where it's probably a cointoss whether the outsourced, underpaid customer support rep you contact with this doesn't just ban you for cheating instead.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

While we're giving advice and stuff: Diving away from danger is really effective. That is to say jumping away from the enemy and diving onto the ground, getting up, and either diving away again or running away.

You have no idea how much bullshit and certain death I've avoided by doing this. Those Blitz maps I mentioned earlier on Level 7? Dove away from a combination of lobsters, stalkers, and chargers halfway across the map after I was being chased by enemies into a stalker lair, took it out, then ran away because I had the super sample and I wanted me corpse to fall as close to my allies as possible so they can pick up the super sample.

The other part of this is that reloading, depending of the firearm, has multiple components to it, and depending, you can partially reload your firearm in between dives. So you might dive, start reloading, interrupt by diving, start reloading again.... dive, fully reload... turn around and shoot the fuckers chasing you.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I didnt think they had denuvo

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
GOOD: Was able to play a few rounds last night and a round earlier today. One of my 'quick play' games last night was on a SOS Beacon that someone threw right before the dropship evac. Everybody else was 10+ levels from me, they had already scoured the map, and I literally did nothing but get on the evac. I ended up with something wild like 30 samples, a ton of medals, and a ton of experience. Continued to play a few more games with the same crew and continued to thoroughly stomp everything.

COOL AS gently caress: I happened to be looking out the front window right as a ship immediately next door exploded and blew shrapnel all over the place.

BAD: Since the most recent patch, when trying to quit the game, I've run into a bug a few times now where HD2 freezes on the quit command and won't exit full screen. I can't force quit HD2 or switch to any other programs so I have to force a restart. Also, I can't play the game because I'm stuck in the queue.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Can all yall motherfuckers stop helldivin pls

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

No ultra rares smdh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Couldn't get into the game. Clicked join on a random goon in the steam group. Into my ship I go. Thanks goon.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bandire posted:

Did we not get a daily 15 medal mission today or is it hugged again?

I hugged it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I don't really get the "major order". Like it says "win at least 9 defend campaigns against hte automatons". What are defend campaigns? Are they related to the giant DEFEND text above certain planets with a countdown next to it? Those planets seem to have two progress bars instead of teh tug-of-war progress bar planets normal have that signifies liberation. I don't get it!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kwolok posted:

I don't really get the "major order". Like it says "win at least 9 defend campaigns against hte automatons". What are defend campaigns? Are they related to the giant DEFEND text above certain planets with a countdown next to it? Those planets seem to have two progress bars instead of teh tug-of-war progress bar planets normal have that signifies liberation. I don't get it!

Win defend campaigns against the automatons means win campaigns marked defend against the automatons.

It's based on the blue bar beating the red bar on the planet. It's a team effort.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 22, 2024

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Got the non-incendiary breaker spray and pray. The description says it's loaded with birdshot and goddamn does it feel like it. Bounces off everything, seems worthless against even basic bugs and bots, maybe the biggest disappointment in guns I've tried so far.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

JBP posted:

Win defend campaigns against the automatons means win campaigns marked defend against the automatons.

It's based on the blue bar beating the red bar on the planet. It's a team effort.

What determines the red bar?

Also are boosters infinite use?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The thing that makes the automatons tough seems like their ranged weapons. The bugs seems like they kinda get log jammed getting to you a lot of the time and only so many can actively be attacking you. Bots seem like you constantly end up taking fire from 4 directions at once.

Plus the bots just feel so much more sinister for some reason. Maybe I unlocked my own latent fear of robots.

On a different note, I had my new favorite game moment. We'd hosed up and like woken up a million bug holes and had what felt like hundreds of them streaming at us. Ran out of reinforcement and were down to 1 guy who eventually reinforced another guy. Those two managed to barely make it to extraction point, with a stream of bugs in their tail. On top of this, there was a charger loving their poo poo up badly. Then I got to reinforce and dropped right through it. This game loving rules.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Kwolok posted:

Also are boosters infinite use?

If you're talking about the hexagon buffs, yes they are. It's good to bring as many different once as you can since all helldivers benefit from them.

Edit: Finally got a chance to play today and the railgun is still good. I should have saved more money before hitting 20, I didn't realize all the high end upgrades were so expensive. You need at least 30k for Spear, Orbital Laser, and Railgun. 500kg bomb is up there too.

Second edit: No, they don't stack, you can only bring one of each type.

VVV

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

OGS-Remix posted:

If you're talking about the hexagon buffs, yes they are. It's good to bring as many different once as you can since all helldivers benefit from them.

Do they stack if you bring the same kind?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
tales in heartbreak: the guy with all the super samples fell down a hole minutes before extraction

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Kwolok posted:

Do they stack if you bring the same kind?

You can't equip multiple unless you get a glitch, and if you somehow bring two of the same type they don't stack.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

tales in heartbreak: the guy with all the super samples fell down a hole minutes before extraction

Always kill your team mates and take their samples before extraction

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

wilderthanmild posted:

The thing that makes the automatons tough seems like their ranged weapons. The bugs seems like they kinda get log jammed getting to you a lot of the time and only so many can actively be attacking you. Bots seem like you constantly end up taking fire from 4 directions at once.

Plus the bots just feel so much more sinister for some reason. Maybe I unlocked my own latent fear of robots.

On a different note, I had my new favorite game moment. We'd hosed up and like woken up a million bug holes and had what felt like hundreds of them streaming at us. Ran out of reinforcement and were down to 1 guy who eventually reinforced another guy. Those two managed to barely make it to extraction point, with a stream of bugs in their tail. On top of this, there was a charger loving their poo poo up badly. Then I got to reinforce and dropped right through it. This game loving rules.

these guys just want to hug and kiss you:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nuebot posted:

Always kill your team mates and take their samples before extraction

this is how i have a death star now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I was not ready for the bots to start blasting me and my buddies with mortars in the middle of dense jungle with no way for us to tell where it was coming from due to the tree cover.

That was loving terrifying.

This game is so good.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does the game scale difficulty depending on how many hell divers are in a mission. For isntacne will 4 divers face 4 times the enemies of a solo diver?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kwolok posted:

Does the game scale difficulty depending on how many hell divers are in a mission. For isntacne will 4 divers face 4 times the enemies of a solo diver?

no and that's one of the reasons solo is bad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I was not ready for the bots to start blasting me and my buddies with mortars in the middle of dense jungle with no way for us to tell where it was coming from due to the tree cover.

That was loving terrifying.

This game is so good.

This happened to me once. So I tried to call in an air strike, only to find out my strategems were jammed. Then I looked down and saw the whole team was dead about a second before a mortar exploded me.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i wish they’d just sprung for the 49k license. you’re basically an Elysian drop trooper fighting tyranids and necrons. gently caress this game is amazing. just had a level that was basically one elaborate bot fortress, increasingly high tiers of emplacements and fortifications. I usually run 380, walking artillery, railgun, and basic eagle. sometimes I’ll run a mortar sentry on a small map.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If this was a 40k game people would just want to be the Space Marines instead.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but you can skip the queue by joining on a friend from steam, even if your friend is in a full game

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Nuebot posted:

It feels like a waste to bring any of the bombardment strategems imo. They don't, usually, destroy buildings or nail the hive/factory holes or anything and always seem to drop their explosions between the swarms of enemies rather than on top of them. Meanwhile calling in the air strike plane thing will just carpet bomb a whole area, take out any buildings or spawners and then kill anything in the vicinity.

yeah itd be better if all the orbitals had tracking for each shot like the laser and railgun considering how long they take to shoot and their cool downs.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Level 7 scientist rescue is the cauldron in which helldivers are made

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
People thinking bots are all ranged haven’t had the pleasure of 3+ scorchers chasing them when they have no anti armour or reinforcements left with only a secondary and 2 clips :v:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i wish they’d just sprung for the 49k license. you’re basically an Elysian drop trooper fighting tyranids and necrons. gently caress this game is amazing. just had a level that was basically one elaborate bot fortress, increasingly high tiers of emplacements and fortifications. I usually run 380, walking artillery, railgun, and basic eagle. sometimes I’ll run a mortar sentry on a small map.
Honestly I don't see the need for the license. Plenty of good properties out there copying IPs and filing off the serial numbers. Plus I mean... Games Workshop... blegh.

A this point they had Helldivers 1 to work off of, so no need.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, like, as the thread topic and OP heavily allude to, It's functionally Starship Troopers with the serial numbers filed off, Verhoevenian satire and all. I'm not sure what more you could ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

If 2 divers do the hug emote close enough they hug each other :kimchi: