Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
twin princes is the only fight in ds3 that makes me want to switch out my loadout (from a big 2H weapon to daggers or similar)

the openings where you're truly safe to do damage (vs. just getting away with it sometimes) are both smaller and less consistent than most bosses due to the way different attacks can overlap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

twin princes is the only fight in ds3 that makes me want to switch out my loadout (from a big 2H weapon to daggers or similar)

the openings where you're truly safe to do damage (vs. just getting away with it sometimes) are both smaller and less consistent than most bosses due to the way different attacks can overlap

I only beat it once and it was just pure luck for the most part. Same with SmoughStein in DS1. Both were one of those "somehow they're down to one or two more hits and I got them in. Not sure why it gave me so much trouble but I can't beat them on my son's game either.

And, yeah, that runback is bullshit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I have never died to twin princes lol

Just equip the carthus bloodring and reflexively roll when Lorian does his 'teleports behind u' bullshit

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For whatever reason the Twin Princes were nbd at all for me. Usually I chalk that up to being better at reflex-based bosses, but that fight stands out for the sheer gulf in how most everyone else loathes it, unlike, say, Artorias or Gael.

I think I had more issues with the Dragonslayer Armor, both times.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Twin Princes have lovely hitboxes, but not lovely in the sense that they always catch you, lovely that they almost never catch you if you stay close. Facehug Lorian and most of his attacks will whiff.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I downgraded to my irythill straight sword over my executioner’s greatsword for the fight. The greatsword did damage faster in phase 1, but the smaller sword put me in fewer positions where I couldn’t roll or toss in a single hit. I should probably spend some more levels on Endurance… that was the only thing that felt like a bottleneck as far as how I was doing in the fight.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat, did they do some update at some point to the steam version that changed the way saves behave or something? all of the usual methods of bringing over my backup saves seem to be failing, I can't even get it to say the saves are unrecognized or corrupted it just does nothing and prompts me to load a new game, or just loads up the newly created save trying to do the ol swap technique.

unless I'm missing something, and also according to the guides I've read, you just start a new game and then quit out to the main menu and then drop in the backup into appdata/roaming/darksoulsIII, I've tried the drag step before the press start screen, after the main menu is loaded but before selecting load, as well as after selecting load, all seem to just load up the character I created, saving quitting out again no change.

Turns out it was in fact working, it's just that my backup is of a lvl 9 knight with no name.

must've overwritten the backup with a new save at some point instead of overwriting the new save with the backup, it's the only explanation I can think of, poo poo sucks, I was slowly whittling my way through that ring cheevo.

edit: turns out it's even better, played new char until Irithyll, remembered another possible backup location and found the old save, overwrite my new save, everything loaded np, made a new character, got to about the same place, quit for the night, logged in today, get message saying save contains unauthorized data and account has been penalized.

I think it could be because of the weird lvl 9 nameless knight file, but upon reading up on this seems like namco has a history of un-penalizing an account one time, but if it happens again it becomes permanent, so I'm not willing to risk trying to load the old files again in case of the off chance the real issue was because some online hacker shenaniganry.

anyway thanks for coming to my Tedx

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 24, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh. Ohhh. The cool parts of the Sellsword Twinblades are on the left hand attacks. I was incredibly confused for basically the entire way up to Vordt before I decided to look it up.

I'm feeling their awful range though. Goddamn imps have been my #1 nemesis. Along with needing to readjust to 3's overly hyper pace in general...

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
just started playing this last night, been on my list for a while and thought it felt like poo poo compared to elden ring until i realised the pots were wonky on my ds4 so i dug out an ancient wired 360 pad and it felt like poo poo but in a different way. took a closer look and noticed it was a generic knock off i have no memory of ever buying. don't think i can stomach kb+mouse so now i've got some replacement pots and a 8bitdo pad on order.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

BiggerBoat posted:

Twin Princes has given me the hardest time across DS1, 2 and 3 plus Elden Ring. Pain in the rear end.

There's some good news because the gauntlet over that bridge is a decent place to farm souls. Good luck though.

that fight sucks.

If you don't know, there's a shortcut that eliminates the need to go across that bridge. It's still a little long, but it can also get you another slab

e: A big plus of dying to Twin Princes is getting to hear that awesome boss music again. That's why I take at least 5 attempts against them every playthrough. Not because I suck. Oh, no. It's all about the music.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 9, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Little Kielbasa posted:

If you don't know, there's a shortcut that eliminates the need to go across that bridge. It's still a little long, but it can also get you another slab

e: A big plus of dying to Twin Princes is getting to hear that awesome boss music again. That's why I take at least 5 attempts against them every playthrough. Not because I suck. Oh, no. It's all about the music.

I will take intentional deaths vs Gundyr Rematch because he's such a fun boss.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm coming in DS3 after many years, it was actually the first souls game I properly played (not counting launch experiences of DS1 with a controller without enough buttons for all functions and stopping the gameplay after dying to skeletons in the graveyard a 100 times).

Since then I played 2, 1, then 1 again and recently 2 again (with a two playthroughs of Elden Ring mixed in) and now I think I'm ready for another go at 3. Back then there was no DLC's and while I finished the game, I could not beat the Nameless king with my STR build of "hit stuff hard". Since Pyro is pretty much the only archetype I still haven't tried in the series, I thought it'd be fun to try it out here. Is there a written leveling guide or something to give some insight on what stats to build and where to get the necessary spells during the game?

That or a rematch with an unga bunga build, I guess.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 11, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The elevator ride, correct?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

TeaJay posted:

I'm coming in DS3 after many years,

Pyro is great in DS3. You just have to beat the tutorial boss to reach the pyro trainer.

Pyro scales with INT and FTH like hexes in DS2.

The best offensive pyro spell is hidden behind and optional boss’ soul. It is awesome fun.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TeaJay posted:

I'm coming in DS3 after many years

There must be better ways of enjoying the game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Pyro is great in DS3. You just have to beat the tutorial boss to reach the pyro trainer.

Pyro scales with INT and FTH like hexes in DS2.

The best offensive pyro spell is hidden behind and optional boss’ soul. It is awesome fun.

There's also (technically a miracle) Dorhys' Gnawing that will munch through bosses that are weak to bleed and will go amazingly well with a pyromancer

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^
Pyro and Dorhy’s, two flavors that go well together. The bleed buildup is static, and is not affected by rings, gear, talisman level or stats. No need to adjust the pyro loadout except swapping in a talisman.

Quickest way to get top rank in the Sunbros is to put down your sign outside the Dancer’s arena and then just eliminate her with Dorhy’s.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I'm coming back to DS3 after about a year. ER helped everything finally click for me and I've since rolled credits and beat the DLC on DeS, DS 1-2, BB, and Sekiro. I beat DS3 but I never took out Nameless King or finished the Ringed City. Unfortunately I didn't realize steam doesn't do cloud saves and I didn't back up my file, so I have to start a new save if I want to finish it up. Can anybody recommend me a fun PVE build? I did the winblades the first time around and while they melt everything it's not necessarily appealing to take that approach again. My builds for the rest of the series:

DeS: basically pure mage, wooden catalyst and crescent falchion
DS1: started sword+board quality build, ended up mostly claymore/pyro
DS2: pure dex, powerstanced rapiers
DS3 (the first time): sellsword twinblades
ER: dex/int, moonveil/nagakiba powerstancing with the occasional switch to casting offhand

I was thinking about trying a Str/Int since I've never done that and I figure it would be fun for my "last" character to work towards a Moonlight GS build. If I do that, is there a good way to make that viable until I reach Oceiros? I know he's pretty late game. Also open to any other suggestions, faith/lightning builds look fun too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Technically you could rush Oceiros but it'd be a big pain in the rear end.

I am very much biased but I see a lack of BONK in that list of builds. Vordt's Greathammer can be obtained quickly and is one of the best weapons in the game on top of being BONK.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can go for Oceiros at any time you are strong enough to beat the Dancer, so you don't have to wait until late game.

If you are extremely good at Dark Soulsing, Oceiros can be the third boss you take down. Not recommended in any way, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

You can go for Oceiros at any time you are strong enough to beat the Dancer, so you don't have to wait until late game.

If you are extremely good at Dark Soulsing, Oceiros can be the third boss you take down. Not recommended in any way, though.

I did this in order to prepare a SL 30 PvP build once and it was hellish. Oceiros is one of the least readable bosses in the game; frantic dragon spasms are bad enough when they don't one-shot you. Also it was back when you could still cheese the Dancer with NPC summons, which may have been fixed since then. I did eventually get him (followed by an early Champ Gundyr for the Prisoner's Chain, which ironically isn't nearly as bad) but it took dozens of attempts.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Rushing Oceiros isn't that bad because he's in a high level area where you can get loads of upgrade materials. I'd argue once you're past Dancer, the difficulty of everything past her is pretty much the same whether you rushed there or beat the rest of the game first
Requires looking up where tit chunks etc. are of course

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

go to the hospital right now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Rushing Oceiros isn't that bad because he's in a high level area where you can get loads of upgrade materials. I'd argue once you're past Dancer, the difficulty of everything past her is pretty much the same whether you rushed there or beat the rest of the game first
Requires looking up where tit chunks etc. are of course

That's fair, it's probably better if you aren't also abstaining from upgrades for matchmaking reasons.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's fair, it's probably better if you aren't also abstaining from upgrades for matchmaking reasons.

Doesn't Dark Hand kind of make everything else obsolete? That's what I used to beat Dancer last time

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't Dark Hand kind of make everything else obsolete? That's what I used to beat Dancer last time

it does at +0 but iirc it becomes mediocre by midgame

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tungsten posted:

it does at +0 but iirc it becomes mediocre by midgame

Yeah which is why I thought every PvPer at low upgrade levels would just be using it. I've never really done PvP though

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah which is why I thought every PvPer at low upgrade levels would just be using it. I've never really done PvP though

i can confirm that at one point it was the number one twink weapon for high wall and undead settlement invasions. number two was the lightning dragonslayer axe

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

most invaders do not actually go for gross super-optimal stuff, and even within the category of "gross optimal stuff" that one axe with the unique lightning AoE skill that can one-shot people at low enough levels if they try to trade was a lot more common than dark hand

granted i didn't spend much time in High Wall PvP in general, because it's just 95% gank squads to 5% completely clueless actual newbies, but I spent a fair amount of time in Farron and onward

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

most invaders do not actually go for gross super-optimal stuff, and even within the category of "gross optimal stuff" that one axe with the unique lightning AoE skill that can one-shot people at low enough levels if they try to trade was a lot more common than dark hand

granted i didn't spend much time in High Wall PvP in general, because it's just 95% gank squads to 5% completely clueless actual newbies, but I spent a fair amount of time in Farron and onward

dragonslayer greataxe! and yeah high wall was the twink invasion and gank squad cesspool, people brought more interesting and creative builds to farron

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Technically you could rush Oceiros but it'd be a big pain in the rear end.

I am very much biased but I see a lack of BONK in that list of builds. Vordt's Greathammer can be obtained quickly and is one of the best weapons in the game on top of being BONK.

this sounds like a fun way to BONK with some added flavor, I'll be going with this. thanks everybody!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Plus you could always main Vordt's/STR up until it's easier to get the MLGS and then pivot to that + INT. Or just respec.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I'm coming back to DS3 after about a year. ER helped everything finally click for me and I've since rolled credits and beat the DLC on DeS, DS 1-2, BB, and Sekiro. I beat DS3 but I never took out Nameless King or finished the Ringed City. Unfortunately I didn't realize steam doesn't do cloud saves and I didn't back up my file, so I have to start a new save if I want to finish it up. Can anybody recommend me a fun PVE build? I did the winblades the first time around and while they melt everything it's not necessarily appealing to take that approach again. My builds for the rest of the series:

DeS: basically pure mage, wooden catalyst and crescent falchion
DS1: started sword+board quality build, ended up mostly claymore/pyro
DS2: pure dex, powerstanced rapiers
DS3 (the first time): sellsword twinblades
ER: dex/int, moonveil/nagakiba powerstancing with the occasional switch to casting offhand

I was thinking about trying a Str/Int since I've never done that and I figure it would be fun for my "last" character to work towards a Moonlight GS build. If I do that, is there a good way to make that viable until I reach Oceiros? I know he's pretty late game. Also open to any other suggestions, faith/lightning builds look fun too

Str/Fth is super fun in DS3, especially if you dunk Dancer early to get the prayerbook from Lothric Castle. It also has the added benefit that Blessed infusions won't split your damage, permakills skeletons, and slowly regens your HP.

Fun weapons to smite/flatten filthy unbelievers with.

Vordt's Great Hammer - doesn't have FTH scaling but it is big, powerful, has frostbite, a hyperarmor ability, and you can get it extremely early.
Lothric Knight Straight Sword - the one-stop-shop for literally any build. It's just perfect for every situation/playstyle.
Claymore - bigger LKSS
Astora Straight Sword - bigger Claymore
Lothric Knight Greatsword - massive, powerful, baked-in lightning damage. Said lightning damage will scale off of any Faith-based infusions.
Dragonslayer's Axe - has baked-in lightning damage while still being infusable/buffable,
Dragonslayer Greataxe - bring down the wrath of god on anything foolish enough to stand its ground against you.
Mace - bonk. Can last you all the way to endgame and its 2-handed moveset is great for rollcatching if you have any interest in PvP.
Large Club - bonk.
Great Club - bonk.
Splitleaf Greatsword - endgame weapon, but lets you be a helicopter.
Crucifix of the Mad King - endgame wepaon, you can swing a screaming corpse at your foes!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Split leaf greatsword is excellent. I miss it more than any other DS3 weapon that didn’t make it into in Elden Ring, I think. There’s ways you can imitate it but it’s not quite the same.

I’d also put the ringed knight dual greatswords in there. Super late to pick up, but the special is ridiculous.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Dual caestus is a lot of fun

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
finally had some time to put into this and i am bonking things on the head and loving it. definitely grabbing the 2nd dlc while it is on sale, should i just grab the season pass? heard mixed things about the first dlc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

finally had some time to put into this and i am bonking things on the head and loving it. definitely grabbing the 2nd dlc while it is on sale, should i just grab the season pass? heard mixed things about the first dlc.

both DLC are good. not perfect, but if anything the second one has lower lows

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I want to say that you find the entrance to the second DLC at the end of the first? How does that work if you only have the second?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I want to say that you find the entrance to the second DLC at the end of the first? How does that work if you only have the second?

You can also enter the second dlc from kiln of the first flame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

I'm just downloading DS3 now after binging DS1&2 last year (too much too close together, didn't finish the throne of want / final boss sprint of #2 due to burnout) and wrapping up with Sekiro.

Coming back into it after a break, for the first game I did heavy armour & fat shields, second game I did agility man with no armour and powerstancing. Got some good tips in there (DS1 was "level vit", DS2 was "level this weirdass adaptability stat (AFTER VIT)"), what thingies should I 'really have to know' before starting DS3, basically blind? All I know is that it's the best or worst of the 3 games depending who you ask, it has a mana bar now instead of spell charges, and might have some DS1 callbacks. Totally unspoilered otherwise, thankfully!

Fun builds for a person who sucks? Pure-mage seems novel, but after playing Sekiro I'm not sure throwing fireballs will gratify me.
Common pitfalls to be aware of? Like don't spend souls upgrading early, or do, whatever? I know to put points into hp, that's been fairly well beaten into me...

Thanks in advance!

edit: And I have read the OP, fwiw.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 22, 2024