Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Well really how much could a banana zone cost?

Depends on how much money's in the banana zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I'll admit it I don't really get the joke here, but I've seen the unedited map posted before, and that supposed Great Lakes megaregion always seemed very dodgy to me. There are hundreds of kilometers of mostly empty space between some of those cities. Even the Blue Banana is more morphologically and sociologically coherent.

I guess it's their concept and they can define it however they like, but to me it implies a mostly contiguous chain/cluster of cities and suburbs. Southern California and the Northeast pretty clearly fit the bill, the rest (other than the 'Great Lakes') I don't know enough about to say whether or not the term is justified. Northern California does seem realistic, for example, since they had the good sense to make it more modestly sized.
I don't think the Great Lakes Megaregion is all that coherent myself, but when you say the issue is a lack of contiguousness/cities broken up by low density areas, you do realize your Blue Banana has a big chunk of the North Sea bisecting it, right? I believe the North Sea has a rather low population density itself.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eiba posted:

I don't think the Great Lakes Megaregion is all that coherent myself, but when you say the issue is a lack of contiguousness/cities broken up by low density areas, you do realize your Blue Banana has a big chunk of the North Sea bisecting it, right? I believe the North Sea has a rather low population density itself.

You have the north sea, a bunch of impassible mountains in the south. Something called a luxembourg? There's a lot of holes in the theory to be sure.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
It's just the ancestral memory of Doggerland living on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said 'even' the Blue Banana, which is to say that I agree with similar criticisms leveled at it.

That said, I would bet that even with the chunk of North Sea included, it probably still has a higher population density than that gigantic Great Lakes megaregion

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Benelux should either be one country or be abolished

England should just be abolished.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm glad that euros, british pounds, and dollars are all finally equivalent. Let's get some others in the club
The Italians are kicking themselves, knowing that every Western currency is slowly achieving parity.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think the way modern infrastructure works has a pretty big impact on what a region means. Basically, a hundred years ago, before the car was commonplace, most people had a commuting range of not that far, meaning most people lived their lives either on the road or in a smallish area. But with cars, driving 100km every day becomes feasible, so now you have a gigantic area where everyone goes to the same city or cities to work, especially with suburban sprawl and general urbanisation. In that sense, maybe these megaregions make sense? But also, they're too big for that. I guess people on Funen could go to either Hamburg or Copenhagen, but it's gonna be Copenhagen. Or Hamburg for Southern Jutland. But it's kinda hard to set hard borders between the centres, and I think these megaregions are just adding them all up?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I said 'even' the Blue Banana, which is to say that I agree with similar criticisms leveled at it.

That said, I would bet that even with the chunk of North Sea included, it probably still has a higher population density than that gigantic Great Lakes megaregion
Fair.

And yeah, that chunk of Europe has crazy population density. In the whole world I'd bet only China and India have bigger regions as densely populated. It's all split between different countries so it doesn't get as much recognition, but Europe's population density is pretty crazy high compared to most of the world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Benelux should either be one country or be abolished
A united Benelux would surely be seen in a favorable light.

Eiba posted:

Fair.

And yeah, that chunk of Europe has crazy population density. In the whole world I'd bet only China and India have bigger regions as densely populated. It's all split between different countries so it doesn't get as much recognition, but Europe's population density is pretty crazy high compared to most of the world.
Pakistan and Bangladesh can probably beat it too.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 21, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A disunited Benelux isn't even seen in a favourable light.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just return all three of them to the hapsburgs

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I for one, feel like existence of Belgium is better than taking Habsburg rule on the chin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BELGICA DELENDA EST

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Iceland would be in the mid tier, but that one crazy strongman skews the average.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Might be OK if you take Benelux, but chop off all of Walloonia except for Namur and sink it into the sea*. I don’t think anyone wants to be saddled with the Walloons, but Namur is actually pretty nice. I’ve never been to Mons, but Liege and Charleroi are probably tied with Genoa for being the ugliest and most depressing European cities I’ve seen, and at least Genoa is at the sea and has a better climate.

Maybe Liege will be nice after the downtown area no longer looks like 2001-era Grozny due to their current reconstruction plan that started with "let’s nuke the city center and start from scratch". I’m not sure there is any hope for Charleroi, but maybe Phlegmish knows more.

*i am aware that Wallonie doesn’t border the sea and that a lot of it is quite far above sea level. Just take all of that dirt, give it to northern Benelux, and make a huge lake where Charleroi and Liege once were. I guess the Ardennes can stay, they’re not amazing but they’re reasonably nice.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 21, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A united Benelux would simply be too powerful for the rest of the world to allow.

Top dog being of course Luxembourg, which had to be nerfed Trianon style.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

(Ethnic Russians)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically there's a pretty long history of human settlement spreading to both sides of any relatively small body of water, because even though it may be a major blockage to like an invading army (so conquering states will settle on them for borders), it's pretty easy for individual humans to cross if there's not going to be an opposed landing or something. It's often more logisitically convenient for shipping than roads, which is why a lot of cities and towns sometimes build up highest right next to the water.

In the modern era, cars have kinda screwed with that by being more convenient than taking ferries, so most individuals don't regularly travel by water, although it's still usually logistically cheaper to transport goods by water. There are a couple tunnels in the channel to keep London linked into historic Lotharingia, but the mountains sure do screw with things a lot more.

It's kinda weird I haven't seen more non-banana-based maps talking about potential transnational megalopolises in Europe, but I guess while US state borders are kinda bullshit, Europeans put a lot more importance on their borders and national distinctions, so it's more controversial to assert that areas are more connected across borders than they are with their more distant fellow nationals. I guess with language barriers it's even more possible to maintain some kind of pseudo-separation with people that you're directly next to and surrounded by.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kennel posted:

Iceland would be in the mid tier, but that one crazy strongman skews the average.

Hormones Georg is an outlier adn should not have been counted

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Eiba posted:

Fair.

Related, here's a very good population density map: https://luminocity3d.org/WorldPopDen/

Turn on interactive stats for country and city breakdowns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

Might be OK if you take Benelux, but chop off all of Walloonia except for Namur and sink it into the sea*. I don’t think anyone wants to be saddled with the Walloons, but Namur is actually pretty nice. I’ve never been to Mons, but Liege and Charleroi are probably tied with Genoa for being the ugliest and most depressing European cities I’ve seen, and at least Genoa is at the sea and has a better climate.

Maybe Liege will be nice after the downtown area no longer looks like 2001-era Grozny due to their current reconstruction plan that started with "let’s nuke the city center and start from scratch". I’m not sure there is any hope for Charleroi, but maybe Phlegmish knows more.

*i am aware that Wallonie doesn’t border the sea and that a lot of it is quite far above sea level. Just take all of that dirt, give it to northern Benelux, and make a huge lake where Charleroi and Liege once were. I guess the Ardennes can stay, they’re not amazing but they’re reasonably nice.

Mons and Namur: I've only been to each city a few times in my life, but I do agree that they're nice places to visit, especially Mons in a relative sense, since it's in (or immediately adjacent to, depending on your definition) the Borinage, one of the most economically depressed areas of Western Europe. I tend to prefer smaller, more provincial cities over the bigger, crowded ones, and it doesn't get much more provincial than those two.

Liège isn't that bad. They have a really nice public aquarium, I admittedly don't remember much else. In any case, at least it is an actual city with a rich medieval past and a properly defined (concentric) urban structure. Charleroi really is pretty much as dire as people say it is, though. Its main problem is that it has grown almost tenfold since the early 19th century, it basically owes its existence as a city to the Industrial Revolution, and with the slow decline of Wallonia's industry it just does not have anything to fall back on. It lacks coherence since it is essentially no more than a collection of mining/working-class towns and neighborhoods, and there are no beautiful sights or historical architecture to admire, other than decaying terrils (spoil tips) and factories, which does have its own melancholic charm.

To a less extreme extent, this is the problem of Wallonia in general. It was the first area in the world (outside of the UK) to industrialize, and if you somewhat anachronistically consider it to be a nation, probably no nation on Earth was more profoundly and deeply affected by the Industrial Revolution. It's a source of pride to them, which I completely understand. So when industry, particularly mining and the steel industry, started declining from the mid-20th century on, they were hit especially hard. To bring it back to the population density discussion, here is a map of Belgium (there's no date in the legend but the relative distribution hasn't really changed over time):

Virtually all of the dark red areas in Wallonia are in the so-called sillon industriel, the coal-rich, heavily industrialized area that bisects it from west to east, as you can see on the map. That's where the population is essentially concentrated. Almost no one lives in the Ardennes region. Walloon Brabant, just to the north of the sillon, does have some people and is doing quite well, but it's essentially Brussels suburbia and has little to do with the rest of Wallonia. What all of this means is that the decline of (heavy) industry simultaneously meant the decline of Wallonia in an almost 1:1 relationship.

As you can imagine, all of this is quite charged in the context of Belgian politics. Wallonia is struggling, and slower to recover, to an even greater degree than other post-industrial regions in Europe, such as parts of Northern England or the Ruhr area in Germany. A common talking point in Flanders, particularly among right-wing nationalists, is that there is no incentive for them to change since they happen to be paired with one of the most economically performant regions of Europe (in a historic reversal of fortune), guaranteeing that they will have the necessary funds to spend on infrastructure, subsidies, and social security payments, regardless of how inefficient their administration is, and how much their economy is underperforming. I know this line of reasoning smacks of shock therapy, but I do think there is some truth to it, the problem is that the people who say this usually don't actually care about what happens to Wallonia, they just want to justify their own support of confederalism or separatism.

There's no easy solution. I wouldn't say I'm a big believer in what's left of the Belgian project, and I don't have much regard for the politicians currently in charge of Wallonia, but I do think the region deserves more respect than to basically be treated as a laughing stock. They pioneered the Industrial Revolution in mainland Europe, and for quite a long time, they punched above their weight to an extreme degree. They're currently struggling in a way that is almost proportional to this early success, and you could justifiedly say that 'they' made a mistake clinging to their industry for so long, even to this day, but it's too easy and glib to say 'lol just reorient your entire economy'.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't worry I understood this joke

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Belpit posted:

Don't worry I understood this joke
We are simply too smart and refined for this thread.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

And here's a take by just an Austinite map nerd who for a lot of supposed megaregions, he reduced them just to the greater metropolitan areas, but he still wants to believe in the Great Lakes of Kentucky.

https://philip-kearney.com/?p=197
If this one is actually doing what it says it's doing, Great Lakes of Kentucky is kind of a thing. I read that description as:
- Select all census tracts with >20 people/km^2
- Paint bucket fill ones that touch each other
- Add up the total population for each one of those fills
- If that total is >20m, give it a color and a name

So the Great Lakes blob has medium density paths connecting all the cities that never dip down into sub twenty people/km^2 like the parts of the Texas Triangle do

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Meine Europa Banane

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Charleroi is probably pretty unique in that they've built a couple of metro lines that were "fully completed, but never opened" as seen in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeMJBqU_eYc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We are simply too smart and refined for this thread.

Enlightened, if you will.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Offler posted:

Charleroi is probably pretty unique in that they've built a couple of metro lines that were "fully completed, but never opened" as seen in this video.

Yeah, "forgotten metro lines" and not a remnant of a project to sequester all the Dutch speakers into parallel underground cities

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They tried to do a Morlock to Dutch speakers??

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

idiots, they'll never go for that. they should have built artificial fens.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, "forgotten metro lines" and not a remnant of a project to sequester all the Dutch speakers into parallel underground cities

I thought that was under Disneyland Paris?

https://zapatopi.net/belgium/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the hit movie Us. The Dutch already act and speak the part.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I should probably have written a TL:DR for people who didn't watch the video.

It seems that Belgium's old policy demanded that any large spending on infrastructure had to be divided evenly between Wallonia and Flanders. During this policy, Wallonia and/or Charleroi specifically got thrown a lot of use-it-or-lose-it money for building a metro. So they started building a massively oversized metro for the city's size just to spend the money. Then national politics changed, and now the two halves are responsible for their own infrastructure spending. Suddenly an oversized metro wasn't as appealing, leading to the situations where you have "fully completed, never opened" metro lines.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Right. I was a bit apprehensive when I saw 'southern Belgium' in the description, which is more or less like referring to Scotland as 'northern Great Britain', but I understand that most international viewers have no idea what the hell Wallonia is, and the actual video is accurate enough.

This policy of evenly matched spending was indeed known as 'waffle-iron politics' and led to massive increases in the national debt, which was a major impetus for the introduction of federalism. Belgium didn't officially become a federal country until 1993, which is insanely recent when you think about it. I was already born then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if that decision had anything to do with the Yugoslav Wars that were happening at the time.

Offler posted:

Also they had a whole wacky thing where separate metro companies were running trains on the wrong side. But maybe the train line will be reopened one day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why the Portuguese word for lawyer is borrowed from the Nahuatl word for testicle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if that decision had anything to do with the Yugoslav Wars that were happening at the time.

I doubt it, since it was just the consecration of what was already de facto the case after successive major state reforms starting in 1970. Still, in a strict constitutional sense, Belgium only became a federalized country 31 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

If this one is actually doing what it says it's doing, Great Lakes of Kentucky is kind of a thing. I read that description as:

it doesn't seem too controversial that northern kentucky is strongly tied to cincinnatti, which is strongly tied to the rest of ohio. I guess you could split that region into two contiguous regions: lake and river but then it would break their methodology.