Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It makes sense if you see power armor thematically as a representation of the past. Only the Brotherhood and Enclave use it regularly, and both represent a kind of continuity with the pre-war order and conserving its legacy. Meanwhile the new players in the world build their own identity. Which, thinking of it, makes the NCR using broken power armor in NV also thematically appropriate, as it's a representationof appropriating the symbols of the pre-war state without actually having the substance to back it up.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Power armour is fairly rare in the setting as far as I recall, it was a recent invention that allowed the USA to turn the tide in their war against China. Makes sense that a) it wouldn't be common in the post-apocalypse, b) people with military connections would be best able to find it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It also makes sense that communities of mostly subsistence farmers wouldn't be able to maintain power armor even if they had access to some units. The people of the wasteland had to adapt to their conditions, which meant shedding things with too much overhead and replacing them with simpler alternatives.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

steinrokkan posted:

It makes sense if you see power armor thematically as a representation of the past. Only the Brotherhood and Enclave use it regularly, and both represent a kind of continuity with the pre-war order and conserving its legacy. Meanwhile the new players in the world build their own identity. Which, thinking of it, makes the NCR using broken power armor in NV also thematically appropriate, as it's a representationof appropriating the symbols of the pre-war state without actually having the substance to back it up.

The fact that NCR Power Armor is crap and worse than, say, the Ranger Armor is a really good example of how the NCR is at its weakest when it tries to emulate America instead of trying to be better than it.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Adding on to what others have said, you're not a "random stranger," your character just walked into the bunker with a code that was given to a lost patrol, while an NCR Ranger is sneaking around nearby. The collar is very much a "gently caress gently caress poo poo poo poo what do we do" reaction, and they take it off and let you go as soon as the crisis has passed. Comparing it to what the Legion does in any way is one hell of a stretch imo

Yes, they put a slave collar on you and force you to work for them when you've done nothing at all against them because they're dangerous, paranoid fanatics. And they're not very smart because they let you go once the 'crisis' of one other guy being close by their base is done, because by putting a slave collar on you and forcing you to work for them they've created a much bigger crisis by making you their enemy. Seriously, the only reason they survive in a run of mine is if I want to have Veronica around, otherwise good riddance to bad rubbish who thought threatening Courier Six was a good idea.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Do you also nuke the NCR when they get paranoid that you're too close to their monorail?

It's the wasteland. The fact that they didn't shoot on sight is a minor miracle.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The most realistic outcome is they don't have the outer machinery or lighting on and they let you and anyone else wander in and poke at the sealed metal and concrete with their bare hands like curious chimps until you leave. Not much of a quest hook tho.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

oh jay posted:

Do you also nuke the NCR when they get paranoid that you're too close to their monorail?

It's the wasteland. The fact that they didn't shoot on sight is a minor miracle.

No, because they don't put a slave collar on me and force me to work for them.

Yep it's the wasteland. I don't take someone shooting me on sight personally, I'll just shoot back until they're dead or give up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I always do the bomb collar quest first because I'm a completionist goblin and I like to think the BOS are confused as hell when I return later with Veronica.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I feel that there's a bit of an oversight with that quest and ED-E My Love. You have a straight up invitation from Lorenzo, but no, who are you, no "Hey Lorenzo sent me", it's either Veronica or bomb collar

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

oh jay posted:

No because you can just run past them with no consequences :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Detheros posted:

No because you can just run past them with no consequences :v:

Except hours later, when the NCR has forgiven your past crimes, but an MP in the embassy and says "Ha! Found you!" and tries to kill you. Then you have to use healing items and run away so that you don't make the whole NCR mad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4M9fgTJr0

NCR 1st Recon the last thing the Brotherhood never sees.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm doing a playthrough with a mod that lets me use every companion, and every fight with the Legion feels like an epic battle. The NPCs do a good job of following me and staying close. Only downside is that I haven't found a cool uniform that matches the NCR brown, and I don't want to simply mod my companions to let them wear NCR uniforms.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arc Hammer posted:

Dang that's cool.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I feel like I would make a bad NCR shock trooper. General who moves figurines representing troop movements on a map and then tents his fingers seems more my speed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arc Hammer posted:

Still feeling kind of blueballed that none of the Brotherhood's walking tin cans have been opened yet (Protectrons notwithstanding).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

I'm doing a playthrough with a mod that lets me use every companion, and every fight with the Legion feels like an epic battle. The NPCs do a good job of following me and staying close. Only downside is that I haven't found a cool uniform that matches the NCR brown, and I don't want to simply mod my companions to let them wear NCR uniforms.

Reminds of of how the Battle of Bunker Hill slowed the game so much down that it almost became a slide show. If they had to tried to make the Hoover Dam just as big I'm sure my playstation would burst into flames.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CommissarMega posted:

Still feeling kind of blueballed that none of the Brotherhood's walking tin cans have been opened yet (Protectrons notwithstanding).

They're getting there by disabling their jetpacks with sustained fire.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alhazred posted:

Reminds of of how the Battle of Bunker Hill slowed the game so much down that it almost became a slide show. If they had to tried to make the Hoover Dam just as big I'm sure my playstation would burst into flames.

I had to download a mod that let me turn on bullet-time at will just to get past that fight, and now I've grown to become dependent on that mod :v:

Arc Hammer posted:

They're getting there by disabling their jetpacks with sustained fire.

but I want them blown up naoooooo

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Because of the choices I made, no one in the battle for bunker hill was hostile to me, which was very surreal.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/freddurst/status/1759312712377696652?t=_h1Qt5M43t68j6kq1nwLgA&s=19

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

:lol:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
help me goons, I'm sure someone here knows the deep lore. I have this vague memory that the Nipton Lottery winner was like, a real person? a contest winner or something? a goon? I know rope kid posts here but I'm sure someone else would know as well. hook me up with knowledge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Lottery is a short story by Shirley Jackson that served as the inspiration for the Legion's actions at Nipton and even moreso as the inspiration for Vault 11's social experiment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No there was some actual contest in a magazine or something that named the winners in game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arc Hammer posted:

The Lottery is a short story by Shirley Jackson that served as the inspiration for the Legion's actions at Nipton and even moreso as the inspiration for Vault 11's social experiment.
yeah, I know what The Lottery was, I mean literally Oliver Swanick the person, rather than this instance of "the guy who won the lottery"

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Calax posted:

Actually...

I've mentioned this in other LP's and am shameless about self promotion, but he's named after me for a fan fiction competition on the Obsidian boards. I admit, I'm just happy for once he didn't get shot and/or eaten, as is tradition.

And is based off a 10 year old photo of me a tad

Calax posted:

I don't even have it anymore. I might be able to dig it up on Obsidian's boards, but it'd take some doing because I think it's been archived. It was basically a tale about the party going Sith troopers on Taris AFTER their party with Revan, where they wake up hung over and missing their uniforms, and have to go into the sewers to find Revan and his cohort.

Still have the shirt though (even though it competes with the shirt from transformers for "The tightest shirt!" because I've gotten old and fat)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well, that more or less lines up with what I remembered! Thank you so much!

e: oh and the reason I asked, congratulations to Calax on being the first goon (to my knowledge) on a Magic: the Gathering card:

(unless you count Albert Einsten as a proto-goon, or one of the Doctors Who or their companions is a goon, which I'm pretty sure they're not.)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 22, 2024

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had actually forgotten that but also for a long time (still?) Nipton was the closest place IRL that many Nevadans could buy a California lottery ticket. I have a good friend from LV whose dad would drive from Vegas to Nipton 1/week to buy a ticket.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat how are you gonna do an Oliver Swanick card and notnuse Smell That Air as the flavour quote

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I got curious and checked out that MTG set, there's an article listing I think all of them here: https://www.ign.com/articles/magic-the-gathering-fallout-hail-caesar-commander-decklist-spoiler

The infamous "wish for a nuclear winter" line made it onto a card :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Johnny Fiveaces is on one too. Zybourne Clock is about to hit critical mass.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: oh and the reason I asked, congratulations to Calax on being the first goon (to my knowledge) on a Magic: the Gathering card:
Followup to this, they just showed off some of the Assassin's Creed crossover cards and I'd like to congratulate Calax again, this time on getting to be a Magic card before both Leonardo da Vinci and Cleopatra

...this keeps getting funnier to me and I hope someone else derives joy from it :shobon:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Followup to this, they just showed off some of the Assassin's Creed crossover cards and I'd like to congratulate Calax again, this time on getting to be a Magic card before both Leonardo da Vinci and Cleopatra

...this keeps getting funnier to me and I hope someone else derives joy from it :shobon:

Something Awful: Goons are Magic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There were a bunch of Magic World Champions who got to be depicted on a card they designed. Considering the demographic crossover, I'd be surprised if none of those guys ever had a Something Awful account. It's still fun, though, I had no idea Oliver Swanick was based on a real person.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout TV creators say it’s basically Fallout 5 and talk the pressure of The Last of Us' success

Okay then. Forgot it was coming out so soon in April.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was wondering recently: why don't the legion use shields in New Vegas? My guess it it's as simple as "Shields are stupid in a world with rifles for multiple reasons. Your off hand is better used for a two-handed firearm and those shields won't stop a bullet anyway." But at the same point, if Oblivion was Gamebryo, then could there have been shields in F:NV even if it was a bit silly and bad?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NCR ranger armor having riot shields would be kinda badass

really though the way shields weightlessly cling to your left wrist at all times in oblivion and skyrim looks so bad I can't say I feel I'm missing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Magnetic North posted:

I was wondering recently: why don't the legion use shields in New Vegas? My guess it it's as simple as "Shields are stupid in a world with rifles for multiple reasons. Your off hand is better used for a two-handed firearm and those shields won't stop a bullet anyway." But at the same point, if Oblivion was Gamebryo, then could there have been shields in F:NV even if it was a bit silly and bad?

Not only would they not stop bullets likely, but they also make it harder to attack someone as you know you need to be holding a big heavy shield in one hand. They're great if your fighting hand to hand with other people who have sharp weapons or are firing arrows, but for a place with high powered guns, not really that good.

Although for the people just throwing spears it might not be a bad idea. Could probably make some shields thick enough that most bullets wouldn't pass through, then they could just get in throwing distant plonk it down in front of them and have some cover.

It does sort of bring up some of the sillier aspects of the legion. With NV tone the legion being a touch silly fits though.