Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A fully compliant segment of the media
+
A voter base that rarely leaves that media bubble and if they do have been conditioned to disbelieve anything that contradicts their media bubble
=
Politicians who can lie with impunity, because it doesn't matter to their voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Is he wearing rouge?

gotta look pretty for jesus.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

redshirt posted:

A fully compliant segment of the media
+
A voter base that rarely leaves that media bubble and if they do have been conditioned to disbelieve anything that contradicts their media bubble
=
Politicians who can lie with impunity, because it doesn't matter to their voters.

Fox “News” shows Trump in a favorable light only playing clips where he’s semi-lucid with a talking point.

Everyone else refuses to play anything of him because they want to deny him a platform.

The result is a lot of people don’t know how very hosed up this idiot is.

And that’s a problem.

Hopefully Biden’s plans for his campaign to highlight Trump’s craziness pays off.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alan Smithee posted:

goon projects always work out

I'll bring the wild boars.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the true believer christian cultists ruining the proceedings of the hookers and coke republicans is hilarious

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Renreeja posted:

the true believer christian cultists ruining the proceedings of the hookers and coke republicans is hilarious

Which will prevail... piety, or LUST

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
[Looking up before snorting a long rail.] What? Time to pray?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Fox “News” shows Trump in a favorable light only playing clips where he’s semi-lucid with a talking point.

Everyone else refuses to play anything of him because they want to deny him a platform.

And that’s a problem.

Hopefully Biden’s plans for his campaign to highlight Trump’s craziness pays off.

Plenty of Trump insanity on Jon Stewart and John Oliver so that's like 5m US viewers? Probably 95% already ride-or-die Biden libs though, but at least it generates clips that they can send to their MAGA uncles to make them stroke out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Renreeja posted:

Either way, I'm sure those Grindr servers were going brrrr

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

*flips chair around*

"You know who else liked to party?"

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Either way, I'm sure those Grindr servers were going brrrr

Mike's son got a ton of alerts that day

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plenty of Trump insanity on Jon Stewart and John Oliver so that's like 5m US viewers? Probably 95% already ride-or-die Biden libs though, but at least it generates clips that they can send to their MAGA uncles to make them stroke out

Yep!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GreatGreen posted:

Why in the world would right wingers ban IVF? It's such a straight path toward parents producing multiple children future worker drones and/or cannon fodder soldiers at a time, when they otherwise might not be able to have children at all. Frankly I'm almost surprised they haven't tried to make it mandatory for all new married couples.

Oh right, it's because they're not evil strategic masterminds, they're just evil idiot religious zealots who decry or praise every idea that crosses their minds in isolation, wholly without understanding any context or implication whatsoever.

My impression is that IVF is mostly used by couples who start trying to have a baby after 30. Cons don't want women having babies starting at 30, they want women having babies as teenagers. That's the real and predictable result of abstinence only education and restricted access to birth control. Either you fail to hold out for marriage and get pregnant before finishing highschool, or you get married right out of highschool because you're religious and horney and immediately get pregnant.

The idea being that once women have children they will "settle down" or at least settle. They won't be going to university or trying to become high powered career women, because that's real hard to do while juggling babies. They will settle for being shop clerks or secretaries -- jobs where they will never make enough money to support themselves and their children alone, so they'll have to marry to get men to take care of them. Preferably the man that fathered the baby.

The teenage pregnancy rate in red states isn't their policies failing, it's their policies succeeding.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Karma Comedian posted:

Everyone boo the posters that talk about biden in the trump lol thread

Trpum

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:lol:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

loving nailed it!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

is this good for Trump?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

And that’s a problem.

Granted, they also tried to constantly show how much of a crazy stupid rear end in a top hat he is back in 2016, and that didn’t exactly work out as expected.

Sure, there’s arguments that he’s a lot less lucid than he was back then, or how actually having him in power recontextualized him for people who didn’t previously care, but I can also see why they got gunshy about showing him any more than they strictly have to.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Speedboat Jones posted:

Way to ruin the sawdust coke orgy, Mike.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kazil posted:

is this good for Trump?

Good for Trump but bad for Biden.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Stoatbringer posted:

I know that the President has big "Economy" and "Gas Price" levers on his desk, but is there more to it than that?

SO much more! It's like a Neve console.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

BrigadierSensible posted:

You're thinking of the "rape" and "financial crimes" levers

Those are more like faders....

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

My impression is that IVF is mostly used by couples who start trying to have a baby after 30. Cons don't want women having babies starting at 30, they want women having babies as teenagers. That's the real and predictable result of abstinence only education and restricted access to birth control. Either you fail to hold out for marriage and get pregnant before finishing highschool, or you get married right out of highschool because you're religious and horney and immediately get pregnant.

The idea being that once women have children they will "settle down" or at least settle. They won't be going to university or trying to become high powered career women, because that's real hard to do while juggling babies. They will settle for being shop clerks or secretaries -- jobs where they will never make enough money to support themselves and their children alone, so they'll have to marry to get men to take care of them. Preferably the man that fathered the baby.

The teenage pregnancy rate in red states isn't their policies failing, it's their policies succeeding.

That all strikes me as way too elaborate and subtle.

There is a simple argument against IVF that's perfectly in line with the pro-life movement's stated tenets: The IVF process involves intentionally fertilizing multiple eggs to increase likelihood of success (incidentally also increasing the rate of fraternal twins). Intentionally fertilizing eggs with the intent of not carrying all of them to terms is something I'd absolutely expect them to get all antsy over.

If I had to guess, that's the original objection, and the telephone game + inevitable flanderization of everything the right does led us to here. I'm having a hard time buying into anything more intentional than that.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

kazil posted:

is this good for Trump?

Donald Trump’s birthday is in June so his ancient rear end is going to be 78 years old in November. It’s kinda hard to complain about the other dude being old when you’re 78 loving years old.

Lmao

At least with Biden you know he has a whole bunch of other people helping him run the government that aren’t going to try to sell parts of it on eBay.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

TulliusCicero posted:

I know the answer is "stupid loving Republican poo poo", but how the hell is it legal or accepted that some millenial failed real estate agent/ turned terrorist in loving NYC is making decisions for school boards in Oklahoma?

Like don't you actually have to live in the state to be appointed/ given a state job? Fell like that's a given.

Does she do all her work remotely or something? What qualifications does a Tiktok Kiwifarms troll have for education policy?

Holy gently caress Oklahoma government even bigger joke than I thought.
She's head of the "Library Media Advisory Board", for what it's worth, so she's supposed to be the one that decides what books get banned. However, she's already used her platform to oust a principal who did some drag shows a long time by outing him and getting his school paralyzed with bomb threats until he resigned.

I'm noticing a trend with her targets getting swamped with bomb threats, and that poo poo's unusual in Oklahoma, so I wonder how hands-on she is with that.

Her position lets her keep her hands technically clean insofar as she has never interacted with a student. Ryan Walters, the rear end in a top hat who appointed her, is a danger to the state, and since he has a prominent role in Trump's re-election campaign, he's made it obvious his ambitions will not be contained to just the dust bowl.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

JeffLeonard posted:

Those are more like faders....

Pedals that have welded themselves to the floorboard.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Aramis posted:

There is a simple argument against IVF that's perfectly in line with the pro-life movement's stated tenets: The IVF process involves intentionally fertilizing multiple eggs to increase likelihood of success (incidentally also increasing the rate of fraternal twins). Intentionally fertilizing eggs with the intent of not carrying all of them to terms is something I'd absolutely expect them to get all antsy over.

If I had to guess, that's the original objection, and the telephone game + inevitable flanderization of everything the right does led us to here. I'm having a hard time buying into anything more intentional than that.

This is mostly correct. For decades anti-abortion people said abortion should be prohibited at all times for all reasons. Their logic was that any abortion was murder. Well if that's the case, then a clump of recently fertilized cells aborted after a week is the same as an abortion at week 35. If that is true, than all those fertilized eggs at fertility clinics MUST be human beings. Were it otherwise, the entire logical construct collapses around them.

The left and people on this board need to recognize that while national media figures and most elected Republicans don't actually mean the things they say, there is a substantial clump of morons that actually believe this crap and it isn't for show. There isn't a scheme or long-term plan, or targeting of one group vs others, they truly believe this stupid poo poo.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2024

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Aramis posted:

It's this. The idea that life begins at fertilization mixed with a unhealthy distrust of reproductive science makes it kind of a perfect storm for fundies. To them it's as simple as you are aborting multiple babies at a time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jimlit posted:

What makes you think this?

You either have to accept that their are people who have opinions different than yours that you have to deal with. Or you just assume everyone who disagree with you is a bot

Guess which one is easier

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Pedals that have welded themselves to the floorboard.

They are definitely clipping.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1760677098233143692?s=46&t=0hs33BGIDTDY2j_qH8YRBg

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CharlestheHammer posted:

You either have to accept that their are people who have opinions different than yours that you have to deal with. Or you just assume everyone who disagree with you is a bot

Guess which one is easier

Honestly if you come in here telling me you're voting for Trump and the reason is because Biden is too far right on an issue (i.e., Israel/Palestine), then you are either disingenuous or a complete moron. Or both. It's one thing to say that Biden's position (pick one) is losing him support from people who voted for him. But to say I am voting for Trump or thinking of not voting for Biden because *reasons* then that is moronic and that person should be called a loving moron full stop.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"That kettle sure is black"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There’s no way the funding numbers for Trump are accurate right

Like I feel like there’s gotta be some kind of explanation

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Toxic Mental posted:

It doesn't account for buying 300 pairs of golden high-tops.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Stay out of jail for loving WHAT

No I'm not clicking on that video, I hate hearing this rear end in a top hat talk

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wow so much for presidential immunity

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toxic Mental posted:

Trump never stops fundraising. He was still fundraising while president. Mentally when they fall for scams like trump bucks novelty checks it still feels like they are giving money to trump. So there is no rest and replenishment for his core believers. They haven't saved up any money to give now, because there are redhats with their hands out every month of the year, every year.

Even if you're a gullible rube who believes them every time they say "it's never been more important than right now" at some point there is just nothing left to give.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kind of surprised you don’t see more “My grandpa gave his life savings to Trump and has nothing left” stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I will say that Tommy Tuberville being reported on by Ron Flipowski is some Steve Dicheals/Bob Dugnut level of American naming conventions.