Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
children don't really mix well with the strange timescale of ongoing comics continuity. no one's allowed to age very much without time travel or some such nonsense. so, child characters either end up written out or in a state of flux from toddler to tween and back again from which they can never escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
After getting through Hox/Pox, I think when the toys go back in the toolbox, I want loving Xavier to look right at the camera and go "yes, we succeeddd more than we ever did before and I'm fullt aware that in 10 timelines the mansion loving fails, but I, Charles Xavier, after threatening the entire goddamn world and running a nation, am going back to running a loving small school in westchester of all places. This is a stepforward."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah there are not a lot of kids in comics that stay kids. So if a superhero ever has one the odds are that they'll be erased or aged up artificially. Danielle Cage so far has escaped this but that's likely because Jessica and Luke are in that weird spot where they're popular but not so popular to have a continuing series that would call for doing something to Danielle.

So like outside of Franklin who has his own weird thing where he was like the same age for about 30 years or more, other kids had it rough. Nathan Summers got written out and retconned into being Cable and we don't talk about Spider-Man's kid. And we're really not talking about Carol's kid.

I guess there is Multiple Man's kid that's around as well, but I think very few people even remember them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah there are not a lot of kids in comics that stay kids. So if a superhero ever has one the odds are that they'll be erased or aged up artificially. Danielle Cage so far has escaped this but that's likely because Jessica and Luke are in that weird spot where they're popular but not so popular to have a continuing series that would call for doing something to Danielle.

Yeah that's why I figured Jess's kid was safe but WELP

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jubilee's kid Shogo is still a baby, most of the time (sometimes he's a dragon)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'll say it, it'd almost be better if they had just killed him. You can bring back a dead baby (...in comics. IN COMICS!). You can't walk back on aging a baby into full adulthood -- not just by a couple years, into a grown-rear end man -- who, oh by the way, the character also sucks and is annoying now. At least Cable got aged into a hero; Gerry's just some irritating turd now, a generic bitter bad guy spouting the most generic bitter bad guy dialogue who hates his mother for abandoning him because that's what everyone wants to see, right? The story wasn't good, the writing is atrocious, and the art was also just barely passable. This is going to be the most important thing that ever happened to Jessica Drew, this is going to taint the character forever, and they just half-assed it on every front. What writer is going to be chomping at the bit to explore whiney Hydra Manchild Gerry? What reader is glued to their seat thanks to this exciting development? I'm almost suspicious that they're only doing this to ease out the 616 Jessica so they can bring in the Spider-Verse Jessica, except that the most notable thing about her is also that she has a baby, soooooo ?? ?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's pretty ridiculous that this 1 year old that was artificially aged up in a tube is now supposed to have thoughts and feelings that we're supposed to take seriously. it's not even time fuckery, so nothing gerry said about his abandonment issues actually made any sense. it'd make more sense if this was all a con viper was doing to gently caress with jessica.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

And looking it up HYDRA nabbed Jerry because when Jessica got erased from existence Roger apparently couldn’t perceive him while HYDRA’s cradle robbing squad apparently could. Never mind that since Jessica was erased from existence he should either have also been erased from existence or been depowered and thus not on Hydra’s radar! No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And they don't even let her have her cool Javier Rodriguez costume.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Party Boat posted:

Jubilee's kid Shogo is still a baby, most of the time (sometimes he's a dragon)

Honesty one of the most boring things they could do. (Also a dragon is very easy to never put in a X-men book again). Sometimes normal human supporting characters without a special gimmick can be interesting! Not that we really ever got much of Jubilee as mom, the baby was mainly a quirky accessory.

Better as a vampire, ironically.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah kids are hard to deal with in a comic with a sliding timeline. Only about 16 years or so has passed since Fantastic Four 1 so some ages of children get wonky. Like at one time Franklin for some reason seemed to be stuck very young while the rest of Power Pack aged up off panel when not being as expected. They've kinda fixed that by aging Franklin up while the FF was out of production and fixing the multiverse. I feel like there was a better solution for Gerry but realistically he shouldn't even be kindergarten age for another decade at best and I'm sure that will frustrate some writers. It's a lovely part of how comics work.

X-O fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 22, 2024

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Man that Spider-Woman turn makes me so sad to read, I was really getting into reading comics around the time the series with her being pregnant and having her kid came out and it was one of my faves. Just a bummer to have all of the character work and growth that made it so interesting thrown away for a cliche of a cliche.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

And looking it up HYDRA nabbed Jerry because when Jessica got erased from existence Roger apparently couldn’t perceive him while HYDRA’s cradle robbing squad apparently could. Never mind that since Jessica was erased from existence he should either have also been erased from existence or been depowered and thus not on Hydra’s radar! No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense!

I took it as Roger didn't know whose baby it was when she return and left because that's a thing people do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Honesty one of the most boring things they could do. (Also a dragon is very easy to never put in a X-men book again). Sometimes normal human supporting characters without a special gimmick can be interesting! Not that we really ever got much of Jubilee as mom, the baby was mainly a quirky accessory.

Better as a vampire, ironically.

Yeah, while you under no circumstances 'gotta hand it' to Brian Wood Jubilation Lee: Vampire Single Mom was a great idea that never got nearly as much attention as it should.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, what's wrong with Brian Wood specifically? Don't think I ever recall that author being on the legit problematic list.

vvvvv thanks. Good to know.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2024

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, what's wrong with Brian Wood specifically? Don't think I ever recall that author being on the legit problematic list.

multiple sexual miscondut allegations it looks like

https://www.comicsbeat.com/brian-wood-accused-of-sexual-misconduct/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sentinel Red posted:

Rather liked Alien: Black, White and Blood. First story has some gorgeous art and is focused on the Space Commies from Gibson's unused A3 script, while the third does for Mother what Bishop did for androids. The second story was the weakest of the bunch but the idea of rich morons paying to go on safari and getting theirs always appeals.

just read it and about where i'm at with it. i also liked the art in the first story

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Azubah posted:

Yeah I thought the story twist for Spider-Woman was gross and crass, I'm done.

Guardians annual was really good and a nice capstone to the Grootfall stuff, nice send off for one of the characters too.

Ultimate Spider is drat good and I want more.

Is the current Guardians run good? Lanzing and Kelly are all over the place lately and their output has generally been good, so I might check it out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheThirst posted:

Man that Spider-Woman turn makes me so sad to read, I was really getting into reading comics around the time the series with her being pregnant and having her kid came out and it was one of my faves. Just a bummer to have all of the character work and growth that made it so interesting thrown away for a cliche of a cliche.

I know what you mean. Spacewoman was pregnant right around that time and so we both have really fond memories of the storyline.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Is the current Guardians run good? Lanzing and Kelly are all over the place lately and their output has generally been good, so I might check it out.

Tons of fun, and the last issue dropped this week which was great.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I liked it, felt like a western fairy tale at times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mean, you could retcon it as the baby being kidnapped and this 'aged up brainwashed weirdo' crap be a fakeout to mess with her head. vOv

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, what the actual gently caress with Psylocke? I didn't know her backstory so I looked it up because I was confused why there was two and...what the actual gently caress?

Decade long Japanese character is actually a British woman using her body because they got mindswapped and then the Japanese mind/British body one died to the legacy virus.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I mean, that's the deal, really. It's particularly complicated because there were two or three retcons along the way but as it stands now, Betsy Braddock, a white Englishwoman, ended up in the body of Kwannon and then Kwannon was able to, like, telekinetically build herself a new body and regain her identity. Betsy, by that time, became Captain Britain and so Kwannon got to take the Psylock name.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Forget it, Jake. It’s Marvel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Betsy was an Englishwoman way before her mind got put into the Asian woman.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yup. Initially it was supposed to be a temporary, cosmetic change after Betsy was kidnapped and brainwashed by The Hand. But then the Jim Lee ninja design exploded in popularity, so they never got around to undoing it. This was made more complicated as fans latched onto her as one of the few popular Asian characters in comics at the time. Letting Kwannon take on the name and having Betsy return to her roots by taking on the Captain Britain mantle was kind of an ingenious solution to a very problematic status quo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

glitchwraith posted:

Yup. Initially it was supposed to be a temporary, cosmetic change after Betsy was kidnapped and brainwashed by The Hand. But then the Jim Lee ninja design exploded in popularity, so they never got around to undoing it. This was made more complicated as fans latched onto her as one of the few popular Asian characters in comics at the time. Letting Kwannon take on the name and having Betsy return to her roots by taking on the Captain Britain mantle was kind of an ingenious solution to a very problematic status quo.
I wonder if they would have just retconned her if she hadn't been part of the whole Captain Britain Mythos originally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Here is a silly question that will awaken hidden memories and I know is pointless: if the Young X-Men went back in time to become the current X-Men and Cyclops is friends with the Champions because he has the memories of Young Cyclops and Young Jean Grey learned from Psyelocke to make psyhic construct weapons, why can't Jean Grey make psychic construct weapons?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Here is a silly question that will awaken hidden memories and I know is pointless: if the Young X-Men went back in time to become the current X-Men and Cyclops is friends with the Champions because he has the memories of Young Cyclops and Young Jean Grey learned from Psyelocke to make psyhic construct weapons, why can't Jean Grey make psychic construct weapons?

Because writers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

She probably can, she just doesn't need to. Adult Jean Grey is much, much more powerful than Teen Grey.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

I wonder if they would have just retconned her if she hadn't been part of the whole Captain Britain Mythos originally.

I mean, Betsy was part of the X-Men for years before the Siege Perilous story, so it's less about the Captain Britain part and more that she was an established X-character.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Covok posted:

He's called Cyclops, not construct weapon. Very rude.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

She probably can, she just doesn't need to. Adult Jean Grey is much, much more powerful than Teen Grey.

This is the case. This happened during the Judgement Day event.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Honestly, good on Marvel for not telling Jim Lee No when he wanted an Asian person on his X-team.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A Japanese character named Kwannon?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Never would have happened under Akira Yoshida's watch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

A Japanese character named Kwannon?

You can blame her name being Kwannon on Nicieza.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has Beast used magic since regaining his teenaged memories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I don't believe so.