Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mailer posted:

Well I got through to getting my mastery and a bit after that. Couldn't remember the respec penalties so didn't level up Rip Blood for like 17 levels and never picked a second spec. Sold a lot of stuff I probably should have kept. Guessed right on the 50/50 and then sold my Avarice. Just gonna call that one a learner character. :v:

Warlock is very cool, though! Is there a point where I should start burning crafting mats? Upgrades 1-19 weren't super frequent but they happened.

It's not really worth keeping in storage anything other than heavy resistance items early, which you'd want to tap into whenever you get a huge upgrade that fucks up your caps. If you intend to build swap after the campaign or w/e, it's probably best to start filtering for items for that build ~5 levels before you swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't know at all what I'm doing at this point (fully blind going in), but I like the game so far at level 9ish. It feels more like lost ark (only put in about 10 hours and never made it through the campaign) and PoE had a baby currently. I'm playing a rogue but not sure when I can go into the other masteries but looking forward to becoming a bird person.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
going in blind is the correct option IMO

i'm not playing rn because i'm busy with other games and also all the usual launch issues, but i started in 0.9 going in blind and i made a 2 builds that worked all the way into the level 100 areas/bosses no problemo, the skill and item mod descriptions are more than good enough to allow you to easily do that, and respeccing is very painless, especially later on

it's a very different beast from poe where you can reliably get through the campaign blind but then you get to yellow maps and just start getting pasted repeatedly because you didn't use enough obscure snowballing mechanics

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

This game, when functional, is fun!!!!!!!!

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
On the bright side, monolith loading seems to be instant.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
monolith uses some weird special loading tech where you're not changing maps/instances

which makes me wonder, why not do the same for the campaign? it'd solve the biggest issue people have with online lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm having loving 5 minute long loading screens now.

Shuu posted:

On the bright side, monolith loading seems to be instant.

Truga posted:

monolith uses some weird special loading tech where you're not changing maps/instances

Wow, that's cool.
If only there was some feature that would allow you to skip the campaign and do that instead.
If only the players have thought to ask for a feature like that.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how do they have their servers set up where loading a zone takes so loving long. poe on league launches with like 200k people still has instant zone changes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jack Trades posted:

Same. No idea if they tried to implement some magical thing on the backend and it failed. Also wondering how much of this is shared because I don't think I'm playing from where you are.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mailer posted:

Same. No idea if they tried to implement some magical thing on the backend and it failed. Also wondering how much of this is shared because I don't think I'm playing from where you are.

I was playing on EU West.

Last 5 minute long loading screen resulted in a disconnect from the server.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, that's cool.
If only there was some feature that would allow you to skip the campaign and do that instead.
If only the players have thought to ask for a feature like that.

You can get to monoliths as early as like level 14 on your second character. Technically you can do that on your first character too, if you could withstand the 40 or so level jump.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games working for me, probably a lack of moral character or other personal failing causing it

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

I was getting that, then I got booted in one of them and can't get back in

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

If they go into the weekend with these issues still present thats gonna be a big lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah it would be asbolutely loving crazy if an online game had issues for like a week or even two during launch. are you all aliens or something

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kind of cool to think about how when this usually happens w other arpgs or whatever people complain about always online, so le made sure a full offline mode was available, and people still complain and act like they dont understand why every single large online game has server problems during a huge spike and indicate they will continue to act shocked and appalled when it continues to happen every time for the rest ofhuman history.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yall making Stux the voice of reason here is loving with me.

Nonetheless, yeah, when your player count far exceeds your wildest expectations, goofy poo poo is gonna happen.

Also, man Rogue leveling is… woof. It sounds like it gets better and Falcon is fun, but the journey there sure is something as I’m getting pasted trying to throw acid flasks at things.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Stux posted:

kind of cool to think about how when this usually happens w other arpgs or whatever people complain about always online, so le made sure a full offline mode was available, and people still complain and act like they dont understand why every single large online game has server problems during a huge spike and indicate they will continue to act shocked and appalled when it continues to happen every time for the rest ofhuman history.

I half expect pigs to fly by any minute now but yes, Stux is right christ.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Have they actually made an announcement on what exactly is wrong?

or is it still "were looking into it" ?

afaik the traffic never exceeded their server capacity

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know at all what I'm doing at this point (fully blind going in), but I like the game so far at level 9ish. It feels more like lost ark (only put in about 10 hours and never made it through the campaign) and PoE had a baby currently. I'm playing a rogue but not sure when I can go into the other masteries but looking forward to becoming a bird person.

Going in blind is good, this game rewards experimenting so go with your gut. You'll be able to unlock your Mastery once you've put 20 points into your base class and have completed your first jaunt thru the Ruined Era.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I got my warlock up to level 40ish yesterday just trying out everything that said necrotic and damage over time on it, going in totally blind. I picked warlock because cthonic fissure looked really cool and it delivers. Between fissure and wandering spirits, both of those tend to wipe out most trash mobs without any further input. I'm trying to figure out what skills I'm going to compliment that base with. So far ghostflame has felt the best for additional damage when needed. Transplant surprised me, the buffs it offers are quite nice. I'll have to give profane veil more of a chance but I was not impressed with it compared to transplant, at least as a movement skill. I don't think I need to try and use it as a damage skill I'd rather spend that time channeling ghostflame if I need damage. Then I've still got a flex skill slot leftover, not sure if I want to fit in another curse for bosses, or a golem to tank. Still have plenty more testing to do. So far the damage seems crazy good and I'm more focused on solving survivability.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Better looking, too

Hey just because this is 100% true doesn’t mean you have to say it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Saxophone posted:

Also, man Rogue leveling is… woof. It sounds like it gets better and Falcon is fun, but the journey there sure is something as I’m getting pasted trying to throw acid flasks at things.

Acid Flask was, unfortunately, my best attack until I unlocked my mastery/got Umbral Blade (which were basically simultaneous).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Yall making Stux the voice of reason here is loving with me.

Nonetheless, yeah, when your player count far exceeds your wildest expectations, goofy poo poo is gonna happen.

Honestly all leveling prior to your mastery is kind of boring. I got started on a warlock yesterday and I'm ripping blood out of those fire bugs in the beginning and I've just done that so many times on so many characters. I couldn't get into the fortress gardens or w/e and I decided to play some Spellrogue instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The dreadnought level looks amazing with the new lighting

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

oh I guess everyones having problems this morning? oh well

I was leveling acolyte into warlock last night, theory crafting in my head like "im gonna go full necrotic and fire damage" and not five minutes after making the character a unique ring drops thats like, poison to everything. Poison when attack, more poison for your poison, +1 to all poison and from then on I was like WHELP

DIdnt even know that kinda stuff dropped so early so that was cool. Now I let the ring guide my build, autopilot all the way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

loving hell, a Diablo buddy of mine finished the story last night and got to level 58. I'm not sure if he slept at all last night.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pro tip, while waiting to load the next zone, you can run around and farm xp.

Then you can stand around after you've killed everything on the map because holy poo poo the loading times are hosed.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Honestly all leveling prior to your mastery is kind of boring. I got started on a warlock yesterday and I'm ripping blood out of those fire bugs in the beginning and I've just done that so many times on so many characters. I couldn't get into the fortress gardens or w/e and I decided to play some Spellrogue instead.

I think the early game would be a little blip if the server issues weren't there, just feels like I'm stuck in the low level part of the campaign for ages because it takes me as long to get into the next zone as it does to clear one, and I get knocked out of my mindless sprint forward slapping packs on my way to the next zone by the load times. It's whatever though, they do seem to be dedicated to resolving it so maybe they'll do it, if nothing else this launch should give them some confidence to hire. Maybe they need a new backend engineer, rewrite it in rust guys I'm here for you.

sure okay posted:

oh I guess everyones having problems this morning? oh well

Concurrents are still rising somehow over 165k and it's degrading again. Hopefully the patch is a good one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the early game would be a little blip if the server issues weren't there, just feels like I'm stuck in the low level part of the campaign for ages because it takes me as long to get into the next zone as it does to clear one, and I get knocked out of my mindless sprint forward slapping packs on my way to the next zone by the load times. It's whatever though, they do seem to be dedicated to resolving it so maybe they'll do it, if nothing else this launch should give them some confidence to hire. Maybe they need a new backend engineer, rewrite it in rust guys I'm here for you.

I just want them to make a monoliths-from-level-1 option once you've finished the campaign.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
New post about launch: https://www.reddit.com/r/LastEpoch/s/IvyLD5MmEV.

Phone won’t let me copy paste

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For real.
They can't seriously expect you to do the same campaign 15 loving times just to be able to play every class?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Something tells me they don't expect you to play every subclass.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Honestly all leveling prior to your mastery is kind of boring.

It's not that it's boring, it's that leveling as a Rogue just loving sucks. None of your skills actually kill things. Compare to Sentinel where you can spin-to-win right through groups of enemies and use Rive to cut down stronger single enemies, or Wizard where you have like 8 different viable kill-things-fast options.

That changes the instant you unlock Umbral Blade because Bladestorm is still OP, and the Falconer's bird is a murderpet, but as a low level un-mastery'd Rogue? Yeah, sucks rear end and it has nothing to do with the campaign.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What're the respec's like in this game? I tend to focus on single characters in ARPGs, and I hate having to level multiple instances because I spent a skill-point sub-optimally or some poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think it's taking around 10 to 15 minutes to go between zones. This weekend is gonna be rough.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

What're the respec's like in this game? I tend to focus on single characters in ARPGs, and I hate having to level multiple instances because I spent a skill-point sub-optimally or some poo poo.

It's basically free, you just can't change your subclass once chosen.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

You can respec everything except for your mastery. Changing skills is free, but you have to re-level them. Refunding your class passives comes with a negligible gold cost

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

I just want them to make a monoliths-from-level-1 option once you've finished the campaign.

That's fair, I also don't get every ARPG dev's obsession with making everyone do the campaign. I guess they want to recoup the expenses on making what amounts to a lame tutorial, but the genre's been around long enough maybe just don't sink all the resources into it in the first place...Or just accept that it's an actual tutorial and make it very short. Torchlight: Infinite has a maybe 2 hour campaign, where a bunch of it is just doing their equivalent to maps/monoliths for a while before you get to engage with the full endgame mapping system, and it's the least offensive one to me.

They added a system to craft overpowered low level legendaries specifically to make doing the campaign multiple times as easy as you feel like making it, it'll probably be at least a little more fun when you're a murder machine with a ton of move speed right from level 1. Still prefer an alternative though, but I haven't tried the twinked version of it, maybe it'll be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The only thing you can't respec is your Mastery, which is permanently locked. Skills can be respecced at any time, though you'll have to spend a little time re-leveling any points you respecced away. Emphasis on a little, it's not a huge deal. You can also despecialize a skill at any time and swap to a new one, and there's a level-based minimum number of skill points for each skill so you'll always have a decent base when assigning a new skill.