Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but Studios don't sign talent like they own them anymore, right? Yeah, the Avengers signed on to do multi-year, multi-movie deals, but that didn't mean that Chris Evans couldn't go do something at WB between working on Marvel Films.

Or are they going back to the old hollywood style of things where studios make contracts and you as an actor get $X for Y years to make Z movies, and you are not allowed to go work for our competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the modern way is to sign the production company they own to a distribution deal?

They can do other stuff, but they're probably going to stick to their own company because they make more.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this, but Studios don't sign talent like they own them anymore, right? Yeah, the Avengers signed on to do multi-year, multi-movie deals, but that didn't mean that Chris Evans couldn't go do something at WB between working on Marvel Films.

Or are they going back to the old hollywood style of things where studios make contracts and you as an actor get $X for Y years to make Z movies, and you are not allowed to go work for our competition?

No, it says they are "non-exclusive partnership agreements," so Tom Cruise can still work on other things.

But, the idea is that someone who wants to buy Warner Brothers Studios will be willing to pay a higher price if you tell them that they get a guaranteed three movies with Tom Cruise, a Leonardo DiCaprio movie, and a Tarantino movie all as part of the package.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

OnimaruXLR posted:

People already have multiverse fatigue and you expect a variant of a character that hasn't been officially introduced yet from no universe in particular (unless he shows up in Deadpool 3 or something) to be a big bad?

Instead of a long head, he’s made up of stitched together spaghetti and is played by Krasinski.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The Joker 2 money goes into all the boners.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So let me get this straight….Warner can spend stupid amounts of money on movies that probably don’t need it, but Coyote vs. Acme gets to go in the vault?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have more interest in watching Madem Web than Joker 2. The first felt like it was written to appeal to the "literally me!" kind of loser white kid.

Why not do a SPider-Gwen live action movie? Pretty sure you could ask Charlie Cox to come in and do Matt as Kingpin thing from her world.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FlamingLiberal posted:

So let me get this straight….Warner can spend stupid amounts of money on movies that probably don’t need it, but Coyote vs. Acme gets to go in the vault?

i think it's like what embracer did with all the game studios and is signing these contracts on the expectation that someone else is gonna actually foot the bill

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think the fact that David Zaslav is almost certainly going to come out of this richer and still able to show his face to all the other Hollywood executives after his mind-numbing incompetence is what burns me most.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Plus, we can finally get the Batman vs. Kong movie that I have written so many letters about.

Well, at least there's the Justice League vs Godzilla vs Kong comic to tide you over.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait for the DC/Minions crossover!

Batman joins the Fast and Furious crew.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

catlord posted:

I think the fact that David Zaslav is almost certainly going to come out of this richer and still able to show his face to all the other Hollywood executives after his mind-numbing incompetence is what burns me most.

Well, at least there's the Justice League vs Godzilla vs Kong comic to tide you over.
When you get to the top of an industry it’s basically impossible to fall downward

Worst case you get fired/resign with a golden parachute, then go repeat the cycle at another company

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FlamingLiberal posted:

When you get to the top of an industry it’s basically impossible to fall downward

Worst case you get fired/resign with a golden parachute, then go repeat the cycle at another company

Yyyyep. You'd think destroying a billion dollar company and making off with bills shoved in your coat pocket as it burns would make you less likely to be hired to run another company, but there's a reason I'm no a business major, I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Yyyyep. You'd think destroying a billion dollar company and making off with bills shoved in your coat pocket as it burns would make you less likely to be hired to run another company, but there's a reason I'm no a business major, I guess.

Because all the other idiots at the top look at him going "wow that's so many bills in his coat, he must know a lot about making money"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Our society is the exact opposite of a meritocracy

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Technically, If he signs a bunch of big movie stars with the company's money and then sells it to someone else who looks at all the debt and mismanagement, but pays 3x what it is worth, then I think Zaslav is pretty smart and successful by definition.

He is only going to hit real problems if he can't sell the studio or merge with another one. If he does, then it is someone else's problem.

It's also not like owning the IP for Batman, Superman, and all these other Warner Brothers properties is some huge albatross across a company's neck. If someone managed it well and made profitable (or in a perfect world, profitable and good) movies, then it would be great to own those. Those used to be considered licenses to print money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaslav is pretty smart and successful

A wise man once said, "I'm the best there is at what I do, bub, but what I do ain't very nice."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

A wise man once said, "I'm the best there is at what I do, bub, but what I do ain't very nice."

Yeah, and I hate to give it to Zaslav, but he also took over the company after at least a decade of mismanagement and a ton of debt.

When your entire studio is hanging by whether your Flash movie that has been in development for 14 years, cost at least $300 million, and is part of your third reboot in 10 years, then your business has been wildly mismanaging things well before ol' Dave took the helm.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like the Superman: Legacy logo and suit are going to be based on Kingdom Come.

Might be a placeholder. A little odd to use that for a "Young Superman" movie, but it also doesn't really matter to anyone except turbo nerds. I like the design even if it is technically not comic timeline appropriate.

https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1760515317158047776

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 22, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Looks like the Superman: Legacy logo and suit are going to be based on Kingdom Come.

Might be a placeholder. A little odd to use that for a "Young Superman" movie, but it also doesn't really except to turbo nerds. I like the design even if it is technically not comic timeline appropriate.

Presumably the real reason they are using it is that it's not been used before in any of the films so they can have a fresh brand identity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not too surprising, since this has been reported (but not official) for months.

Looks like whoever was leaking the rumors about Fantastic Four casting 6 months ago got every one of them correct.

Silver Surfer is now the only main character who has not been officially cast yet.

https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1760398940854186055

PriorMarcus posted:

Presumably the real reason they are using it is that it's not been used before in any of the films so they can have a fresh brand identity.

This is 100% the reason. I was just saying that I think it looks fine, but there will be turbo nerds who are upset that they are using it for a young Superman.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 22, 2024

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Might be a placeholder. A little odd to use that for a "Young Superman" movie, but it also doesn't really matter to anyone except turbo nerds. I like the design even if it is technically not comic timeline appropriate.

Am I alone in thinking that logo sucks because it's not even clearly an S?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Parkingtigers posted:

Am I alone in thinking that logo sucks because it's not even clearly an S?

It's not an S. It's a letter from Kryptonian script that means "Hope."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we know if they are going to do actual Galactus or something stupid like whatever that cloud version was in Rise of the Silver Surfer

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do we know if they are going to do actual Galactus or something stupid like whatever that cloud version was in Rise of the Silver Surfer

It's not a bee cloud, but that is all we know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Give me the hat, Marvel.

hat, hat, hat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not an S. It's a letter from Kryptonian script that means "Hope."

We're not characters in the story. We know it's supposed to be an S.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rumors are that he's related to the Eternals and is going to be the reckoning that was mentioned at the end of that film. So he should look suitable similar to their design + his comic book design I'd imagine.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lobok posted:

We're not characters in the story. We know it's supposed to be an S.

It's his shirt. I'm just telling you what he told me when I asked him about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We're so close to recreating my fan fiction about a giant sexy Hispanic Galactus who wears a silly hat and vores The Thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Rumors are that he's related to the Eternals and is going to be the reckoning that was mentioned at the end of that film. So he should look suitable similar to their design + his comic book design I'd imagine.
But like human size and not Celestial size?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

But like human size and not Celestial size?

No, I'd think he will be Celestial size. I'd assume Bardem is going to be doing in essence performance capture for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PriorMarcus posted:

No, I'd think he will be Celestial size. I'd assume Bardem is going to be doing in essence performance capture for him.

He's mostly being cast for his voice because we know from earlier when it was said to be between him and Antonio Banderas that Marvel must want Galactus to sound like a sexy smoldering Spaniard for some reason.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lobok posted:

He's mostly being cast for his voice because we know from earlier when it was said to be between him and Antonio Banderas that Marvel must want Galactus to sound like a sexy smoldering Spaniard for some reason.

What reason do you need otherwise

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's cool, just curious where that specific vision came from.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I hope they veer a hard left and instead of having Galactus be a sexy smoldering Spaniard, they have him play Galactus as Anton Chigurh.

"I'm going to flip this moon and you need to call it. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON OR LIGHT?!?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What reason do you need otherwise

I want to see Galactus' dick.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I want to see Galactus' dick.

It's really a shame that Dr. Manhattan covered his gigantic penis but I think the world is ready for it now

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I want to MCUP

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blade's script is getting a full rewrite with a new writer instead of just a major rework.

Still planning for an R-rating.

Michael Green (Logan and Blade Runner 2049) is the new writer.

There's allegedly plans for a Midnight Sons movie that will include Blade and "other characters who do not appear in the Avengers," which seems to imply that Doctor Strange will not be in it.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1760415188350599172

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's one thing Marvel has always done well, at least. They aren't afraid to have things look like a comic book