Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shard posted:

oh my god lol I can feel it. I just got to act 3 with resist durge and I'm thinking of restarting because the shadowheart romance is kinda meh lol. I have a problem but not really a problem because I haven't stopped playing this game since August and it remains fun.

Maybe SH isn’t really happy with you as a romantic partner either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lobok posted:

Is that only while in Act 2? I remembered she was in there after I got some ways into Act 3, thinking there'd be an interesting fight letting her out but she was deader than the fish in Disco Stu's shoes.

I think not enough people realize that contrary to everything you might expect, you can free the faerie from the moonlantern right away and there is zero downside, if you are nice to the faerie it actually doesn’t betray you, it gives you a little bell to ring to summon it and it will give your whole party an anti-shadow-curse blessing whenever you want, so you don’t have to actually carry around the lantern and worry about party members walking out of range of it in the dangerous extra-dark areas. It’s 100% upside. Also if you do carry the lantern around, if you use it as a weapon and whack someone with it this will kill the faerie inside.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Saul Kain posted:

There is a way to force steam to download the previous version of the exe. For a nexus mod sticky comment:

Download previous bin files using steam console:
Open a command window “Run” by pressing «Win + R» and then enter the command: steam://open/console, and then press Enter.
Type command:
download_depot 1086940 1419652 8231067205656009020 [<delta manifestid>] [<depot flags filter>] : download a single depot
It will download previous unbroken exe files. Just copy and paste them into BG3 bin folder, and everything will work.

Before the meltdown in bg3 troublshooting there was some talk of this possibly causing an issue with your saves. I can not confirm this but I'm hesitant because Patch 6 already has some soft lock bugs around the end of act 3 and my save has been shuffling around my character and which chest I have ownership of.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Thundarr posted:

My barbarian doesn't need lockpicks for a DC 30 lock, they have a magical axe.

If that doesn't work, they have Na'er Misser.

If that *still* doesn't work, they have "pick the loving thing up, travel to Wyrm's Crossing, throw it off the side".

I'm imagining your barb lifting a big set of double doors off its hinges, lugging it across town then yeeting it off a cliff, and then looking down on it proudly, with their hands on their hips, thinking about how clever they are for figuring out this method. They are so much smarter than that door!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Maybe SH isn’t really happy with you as a romantic partner either.

Works great on resist durge because after her stuff is done its the perfect opportunity to bench and replace her and whoever with Jaheria and Minsc who have some good stuff to say in act 3 and to a resisting durge.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 21, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

I think not enough people realize that contrary to everything you might expect, you can free the faerie from the moonlantern right away and there is zero downside, if you are nice to the faerie it actually doesn’t betray you, it gives you a little bell to ring to summon it and it will give your whole party an anti-shadow-curse blessing whenever you want, so you don’t have to actually carry around the lantern and worry about party members walking out of range of it in the dangerous extra-dark areas. It’s 100% upside. Also if you do carry the lantern around, if you use it as a weapon and whack someone with it this will kill the faerie inside.

That's cool. Definitely something to remember if I do another playthrough.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Woo I did it I beat the house of grief. Thanks to the poster with the cloud dagger idea. Also cast speak to dead on mother Superior and asked her if she got her reward from shar. She said she will...she must. drat girl what you expect from the goddess who wants to destroy all life? Ain't no way she has an afterlife

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Black Noise posted:

Before the meltdown in bg3 troublshooting there was some talk of this possibly causing an issue with your saves. I can not confirm this but I'm hesitant because Patch 6 already has some soft lock bugs around the end of act 3 and my save has been shuffling around my character and which chest I have ownership of.

Good to know. I'll report if I have any issues. Everything seems alright at the moment.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shard posted:

Woo I did it I beat the house of grief. Thanks to the poster with the cloud dagger idea. Also cast speak to dead on mother Superior and asked her if she got her reward from shar. She said she will...she must. drat girl what you expect from the goddess who wants to destroy all life? Ain't no way she has an afterlife
Did you have to cast Disguise first?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Did you have to cast Disguise first?
Always

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I thought the hotfix had fixed crashing in combat but I just assaulted the grove and the game bugged out on Minthara's turn so it never ended, music and animations went choppy and CPU usage spiked to 99%, couldn't tab out, quit game or even ctrl alt delete so had to reboot again

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

ahhhhh balls, I bet that's what happened. Joys of modding!

Yeah. The Night Event notification is broken too.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I've had a couple of moments where characters lips are moving before dialogue starts which has only happened since the hotfix. Other than that, no real issues since the patch (other than it deciding it needed to redownload the entire game for the patch proper).

fwiw I had this happening in Act 3 before Patch 6. I assumed it was because it was my pet run where the party has like 20 summons in it at all times and my PC was probably on fire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

turtlecrunch posted:

fwiw I had this happening in Act 3 before Patch 6. I assumed it was because it was my pet run where the party has like 20 summons in it at all times and my PC was probably on fire.

I know you meant personal computer but I prefer to think you meant player character.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Entropic posted:

it's a Pixie, not a Fairy :rolleye:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So now the game just stalls trying to generate a shader cache about sixty percent of the way in.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lol theres no cap on party max.

Gortash gunna see the whole crew today!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm imagining your barb lifting a big set of double doors off its hinges, lugging it across town then yeeting it off a cliff, and then looking down on it proudly, with their hands on their hips, thinking about how clever they are for figuring out this method. They are so much smarter than that door!

The origin story of the barbarian known only as The Keymaster.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Beasteh posted:

I thought the hotfix had fixed crashing in combat but I just assaulted the grove and the game bugged out on Minthara's turn so it never ended, music and animations went choppy and CPU usage spiked to 99%, couldn't tab out, quit game or even ctrl alt delete so had to reboot again

Turns out this is happening to everyone else on all platforms specifically with Minthara on her second turn when she soul brands then jumps down off the rock so uh don't try the grove assault until it's fixed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

rip bg3... so much for "goty 2023"!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baldur's Gate 3? More like Helldivers 2... because there are so many bugs!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I recruited Minthara and she immediately spoiled all of Act 3 upon returning to camp. She's truly embracing her archvillain era.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The community team has put the mod support channel on 6 hour slow mode. Regular support is fine despite the vanilla issues as well but its just funny to wake up to euro drama.

Norbyte posted:

Let me add my 5p here.

From a modding point of view, even in DOS2:DE times Larian has been pretty tight-lipped about mod support, and after BG3 EA there has been a complete lack of communication about what will be supported (if anything), and when.

There were vague promises of mod tools being released after the PS5 version. That was almost 6 months ago, and there is complete radio silence on any mod tools since then
Even if there was we don't know what portion of the tools would be released. eg. D:OS2, no model import/export (Granny2) tools or audio (Wwise) tools could be released, since those are all 3rd party NDA-d things, and Larian did not get the approval to release them
BG3 uses even more third party things this time (Graphine for textures, Noesis for GUI, etc.) which are again NDA-d things and require approval to be included in the mod tools; we don't know if these will be included, but it is highly likely that if they didnt get permission for DOS2 mod tools, they won't get permission for the BG3 mod tools either
For D:OS2, the mod tools stopped getting updates after Gift bag 2 (about 2 years before the game got its last big update); this means that we could no longer edit any maps without crashing the editor, since we don't have the necessary map data (it still hasnt been updated since)
A lot of the information we had to help mod D:OS2 came through informal channels since there was/is nothing in place for communication with Larian about anything mod-related; by the time BG3 released, we lost even the few channels of communication we had beforehand

Regarding SE:

Data needed for SE operation is entirely gathered through reverse-engineering the .exe, and each game update requires re-analysis of the .exe and a corresponding SE update.

The changes in hotfix 18 are likely toolchain changes in how the .exe is compiled, which cause a significantly different compilation result (and its probably not a "hehe lets fk up mods" change); this also means that a lot of remapping work has to be done in the SE and will need to be done in the future when similar changes are done.
It is not infeasible, but re-mapping the exe each time is time intensive and requires a certain amount of preparatory work (i.e. 5-6 hours of static analysis after the game is released). When the changes in .exe structure are significant enough (as is the case in this patch), some functions may get removed completely which neccessitates structural changes in how SE performs certain functions; this in turn means further delays in getting it updated.

SE will not be updated until the next patch is out and we see what changes are made.

https://discord.com/channels/98922182746329088/779732568202280960/1210210609195520021

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I recruited Minthara and she immediately spoiled all of Act 3 upon returning to camp. She's truly embracing her archvillain era.

YES she did that for me as well lol. I thought it was because I used we mods to get max companion approval

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm not using mods, but in the prior patch Minthara spoiled Shadowheart's Act 2 outcome even if you hadn't done it yet. Maybe with each new update she'll pick a different plot thread to spoil, for tradition's sake.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not using mods, but in the prior patch Minthara spoiled Shadowheart's Act 2 outcome even if you hadn't done it yet. Maybe with each new update she'll pick a different plot thread to spoil, for tradition's sake.

ok so she's just a player who has read the module the DM is running. there's always one of those

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone else get some weird visual bugs in the creche?
specifically with Vlaakith looking all melted in her appearance?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 22, 2024

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Man, Orpheus is pissed.

You fornicate ONE mind flayer....

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Loel posted:

Man, Orpheus is pissed.

You fornicate ONE mind flayer....

The implications for orph are really pretty dire, I figured he was in stasis but when you let him out it’s pretty clear he’s been conscious and aware of his surroundings for however long he’s been imprisoned

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't hate the flayer, hate the game

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lobok posted:

Don't hate the mind flayer, hate the mind game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always appreciate that awkward little standoff at the end where everyone is sitting around wondering who's gotta become a mindflayer, and it's down to the savior of the Githyanki and telepath of unquestionable power, or a couple of hotgirl murderhobos that spent the last 70 hours stealing from little old ladies and recklessly destroying everything in their wake. I'm sorry man but it's gotta be you, I can't give up this lifestyle!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Found Vaush

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

exquisite tea posted:

I always appreciate that awkward little standoff at the end where everyone is sitting around wondering who's gotta become a mindflayer, and it's down to the savior of the Githyanki and telepath of unquestionable power, or a couple of hotgirl murderhobos that spent the last 70 hours stealing from little old ladies and recklessly destroying everything in their wake. I'm sorry man but it's gotta be you, I can't give up this lifestyle!

Hey, that little old lady was a merciless hag, and by right of conquest what was hers is mine :colbert:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Lobok posted:

Don't hate the flayer, hate the game

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Black Noise posted:

Found Vaush

at least they're honest

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone else get some weird visual bugs in the creche?
specifically with Vlaakith looking all melted in her appearance?

Coincidentally I literally just played through that part on my Lae'zel run and she looked the same as always!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

I had Karlach do it, she told me over and over that didn’t want to go back to the hells and she volunteered, so it was either that or she dies!! Seemed like an easy choice to me!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think I've come to the conclusion they're is just no real point to having minthara in your party. Good or evil. She's just too underbaked and broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any tips on getting the defeat commander zhalk achievement? I'm about to hop on a long rear end conference call and figured I'll try to knock that out.