Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

amazed at tiny portugal with 21 US military bases, where did they even fit them all

Im gonna guess its just like national guard camps with a tiny bit of americans in it.

The charts are kinda hosed because they say PR has 34 bases. Maybe if you count reserve centers sure, but theres only one full time actual base in PR, which is Fort Buchanan. Fort Allen and Camp Santiago are national guard training sites that the federal reserves sometimes use for NCOes training and weapons qualifications. You'll have a dozen AGRs full time and reserve components would come in and drill once a month. You may hear things like "Theres a base in the west of PR named Ramey airfield" but again its a few reserve centers and a coast guard unit, the actual airfield was abandoned decades ago and was reclaimed by the government and turned into an airport some years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/castawaymariner/status/1760439117979283828

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

yeah France is unique among US subject states in how much effort they put into pretending they're not and that the relationship is actually a completely voluntary association between equals, one in which the French could disobey the Americans at any time if they wanted to, they just don't ever want to
France does everything the US government tells it to to show that they could do everything their own government tells them to, if they wanted to

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

BULBASAUR posted:

amazed at tiny portugal with 21 US military bases, where did they even fit them all

the azores, a bunch of tiny naval facilities probably

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Spergin Morlock posted:

same with the Marshall islands. who the gently caress made that thing?

it turns out I did 😱

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mandel Brotset posted:

it turns out I did 😱

Next time apply yourself Mandel, we are all very disappointed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/acnewsitics/status/1760025481632432176?t=L40w58QqEi3DhzvfCLKphw&s=19

lol the unification church getting splintered into even nuttier sects.

that's the opposite of unification!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
insanely normal

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Baha'iism with american characteristics.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/KevinKalbo/status/1760571545322443120?t=hss_aBtwkWlUrNUieQe1lw&s=19

Really hate how easily everyone in this country falls to Sinophobia.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what's wrong with cyanide? it's all natural

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The leopards are getting ready to start eating more faces.

Korea says it will seek arrest warrants for doctors who don’t return to work

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Really hate how easily everyone in this country falls to Sinophobia.

i feel like the dumbest part here is that, even assuming for the sake of argument that these particular unfounded allegations are 100% true, if the superpower next door already hates you so much that they'd poison the sea to spite you the correct course of action clearly isn't to piss them off even more

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

look at what americans say about china in comments on news articles and stuff on websites other than this one. i mean, we think the gbs guys are bad but the other day i saw a news article comment or something where an american guy said he'd never visit china as a tourist because he's worried he'll be there when they suddenly mass arrest & send all foreigners to extermination camps lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i know 'its always projection' is overused but... lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait once you collect the cyanide fish, is it safe to eat?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sure, at least once

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stephenthinkpad posted:

well not immediately but it’s for catching fish for the aquarium trade

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

basically they dive down and blast em near in person. james bond style. doubt theres enough dose left if the fish lives to matter. way more dangerous to the fisherguy. even if they die itll bond and breakdown regardless no? dunno how the decomposition of cynaide operates but its still happening. also i guess it being eaten is way different than passing directly into blood via gas.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Feb 22, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Votskomit posted:

Where can I read more about what "industrial policy" is exactly? Any info welcome!

I watched this new DW video on solar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug83_o2hKEw&t=104s

Why would Germans state television make a video about China having better solar you ask, actually it spend some time talks about the US using incentive to make the German solar industry move over. This is to me basically a lite and inefficient way of Industrial Policy (but the Americans just absolutely can not call it IP for ideological reasons).

It does go on to some details how the Chinese government did the heavy lifting and logistic planning to make the solar industry viable with long term planning. It wasn't really that long of a planning, it was only from 2012 so that time frame only cover the window of 2 leaders in most countries.

IIRC, alot of Chinese solar and wind industries 's advanced technologies were acquired through legal fair and square buying or licensing of foreign techs. China just have more engineers plus lower electricity price to make their own solar industry pulling further and further away. Which this video doesn't mention, they just keep talking about state subsidy. State subsidy only make sense to get a head start, after a few years the industry itself have to be more profitable than the competitions to be self sufficient. The video also whines about higher material cost, which doesn't make sense because China pay the same price for lithium from Chili with the same US dollar.

Now, how much does China's long term planning matter through their 5-year plans? I haven't seen any english media quatify it yet. I will let you know when I see them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

You sure they aren't complaning about lower labour prices?

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-02-21/ukraine-war-anniversary-even-a-russian-victory-would-be-loss-for-china

Russia Might Win in Ukraine. China Can’t
By Minxin Pei
Minxin Pei is professor of government at Claremont McKenna College and author of "The Sentinel State: Surveillance and the Survival of Dictatorship in China."
February 21, 2024 at 8:00 PM UTC

... Unfortunately for Xi, Putin’s gains cannot make up for the huge strategic costs his war has already imposed on China. Even if the conflicts ends with Russia winning territorial concessions from Ukraine and a pledge not to join NATO, China’s net geopolitical position will almost certainly be worse than before Feb. 24, 2022

The chief cost of Putin’s invasion has been the irreversible rupture of Sino-European relations. China’s most prized objective in its unfolding rivalry with the US had been European strategic neutrality. Despite tensions over trade and human rights, China and the European Union had no conflicts over security before the war in Ukraine. Keeping Europe on the sidelines would have greatly strengthened China’s ability to resist US pressure.

But the nature of relationship between the EU and China has undergone a fateful shift. Because of the “no-limit” strategic partnership Xi struck with Putin three weeks before the invasion, Brussels considers Beijing an accomplice of Moscow...

... Just as dangerously for China, Putin’s invasion sounded the alarm to US allies and partners about the threat of a great power war in East Asia, specifically over Taiwan, which China considers part of its territory.

Since the Ukraine war started, the US and its allies in the region have taken unprecedented steps to strengthen military deterrence against China. Last March, the US offered to sell Australia three Virginia-class nuclear attack submarines, the world’s most advanced. US military aid for Taiwan has also risen significantly, often exceeding previously self-imposed limits. Should the aid package for Ukraine pass the House, it would also provide billions of dollars’ worth of military assistance to Australia, Taiwan, and US partners in the Indo-Pacific.

Once-circumspect allies such as Japan and the Philippines have bolstered their own militaries and their ties to the US. Along with the threat from North Korea, fears of China even helped the US forge a reconciliation between Japan and South Korea. The historic trilateral summit in Camp David last August probably would not have happened without the strategic urgency shared by the leaders of the three countries.

Adding to China’s deteriorating security environment is a mad exodus by Western firms that do not want to be caught flat-footed if war breaks out in the region.

The combination of China’s sputtering economic recovery and fears of a potential conflict over Taiwan has led to a steep plunge in foreign direct investment. Last year only $33 billion in FDI flowed into China — the lowest amount since 1993. This vicious dynamic — economic pessimism fueled by geopolitical fears — will cost China dearly at a time when it desperately needs to revive growth...

... The uncomfortable fact is that whatever benefits China draws from Putin’s war will be temporary. Its strategic losses are permanent.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

china to europe: to keep you is no gain, to lose you is no loss

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"Offered to sell" is a nice euphemism for "forced to buy".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
They still think financial investment is the same as economic investment. Lol.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

You sure they aren't complaning about lower labour prices?

Complain about labor cost is coming from the labor/union POV, the capitalists can't do it. Plus they can't explain why the industries are not moving out of China and into Vietnam.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched this new DW video on solar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug83_o2hKEw&t=104s

Why would Germans state television make a video about China having better solar you ask, actually it spend some time talks about the US using incentive to make the German solar industry move over. This is to me basically a lite and inefficient way of Industrial Policy (but the Americans just absolutely can not call it IP for ideological reasons).

It does go on to some details how the Chinese government did the heavy lifting and logistic planning to make the solar industry viable with long term planning. It wasn't really that long of a planning, it was only from 2012 so that time frame only cover the window of 2 leaders in most countries.

IIRC, alot of Chinese solar and wind industries 's advanced technologies were acquired through legal fair and square buying or licensing of foreign techs. China just have more engineers plus lower electricity price to make their own solar industry pulling further and further away. Which this video doesn't mention, they just keep talking about state subsidy. State subsidy only make sense to get a head start, after a few years the industry itself have to be more profitable than the competitions to be self sufficient. The video also whines about higher material cost, which doesn't make sense because China pay the same price for lithium from Chili with the same US dollar.

Now, how much does China's long term planning matter through their 5-year plans? I haven't seen any english media quatify it yet. I will let you know when I see them.

its not a bad video. i do find it funny that the video went straight from "generous government subsidies in germany and italy helped drive down costs by 2010" to a lady complaining that "china was subsidizing heavily leading to dumping prices ... and there was no control from the european side on it". like those quotes are like 15 seconds apart

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how the quinquennial is a great "unit" of planning. Five years is enough time that a lot of stuff can get done to have structural effect, while powering hard into historical longitude - two five-year plans into an industry sector is a decade of deliberate political economic effort, which is a lot (seriously a lot) in terms of centralized planning.

As productive capacity and capability grow and develop, the power of directed economic effort also increases. One reason China has a critical advantage is that the state basic industry delivers guarantee of basic price - Huawei and all others who deal with the commercial end buy input materials from the state at even cost. The PRC gets it back through capital control and dividends. All those industries (and mines and farms and what not) were built up from five-year plans

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's infrastructure week

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how the quinquennial is a great "unit" of planning. Five years is enough time that a lot of stuff can get done to have structural effect, while powering hard into historical longitude - two five-year plans into an industry sector is a decade of deliberate political economic effort, which is a lot (seriously a lot) in terms of centralized planning.

As productive capacity and capability grow and develop, the power of directed economic effort also increases. One reason China has a critical advantage is that the state basic industry delivers guarantee of basic price - Huawei and all others who deal with the commercial end buy input materials from the state at even cost. The PRC gets it back through capital control and dividends. All those industries (and mines and farms and what not) were built up from five-year plans

yeah it owns

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Tankbuster posted:

Baha'iism with american characteristics.

having once attended a home gathering with a combination of Stereotypical White Guy Baha'is and Had to Flee Iran Baha'is i got the impression that Baha'i faith, while certainly progressive for an Abrahamic religion, is not actually all hippy-dippy among its base of conservative adherents, kind of like the deal with Buddhism (thought certainly in a much different form)

probably :thejoke: but w/e i always like to bring up anecdotes about my insane Fulbright Scholar geography teacher from community college who was a white guy raised evangelical who joined the air force and translated Mandarin for them and married a Taiwanese woman and converted to Baha'i faith and constantly proselytized to his students. he never got in trouble because it just came off as so innocuous. one semester the course catalog was a picture of him in a shalwar kameez stroking a globe. he also taught the class a super long convoluted mandarin joke i cant remember, something about a poet attending a dinner party losing a pen in the mud and it being found and the punchline is a clean way to say "cao ni ma de bi"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
he sounds like a cool dude.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fizziester posted:

Source: Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-02-21/ukraine-war-anniversary-even-a-russian-victory-would-be-loss-for-china

Russia Might Win in Ukraine. China Can’t
By Minxin Pei
Minxin Pei is professor of government at Claremont McKenna College

howdy im the sheriff of government

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
One of the most boring materialist reason things why indian tech workers actually are employed and get to read milton friedman is because the indian government spent a ton of money building up the infrastructure for touching computers. Same reason why we still produce steel, petrochemicals and meds of our own. If we listened to reddit free marketeers we would still be exporting iron ore.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
there's also the way South Korea started industrializing by investing in steel production despite having fuckall iron and/or coal deposits (I forgot which or if it was both) in the country

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

One of the most boring materialist reason things why indian tech workers actually are employed and get to read milton friedman is because the indian government spent a ton of money building up the infrastructure for touching computers. Same reason why we still produce steel, petrochemicals and meds of our own. If we listened to reddit free marketeers we would still be exporting iron ore.

I am ignorant of this topic, can you elaborate? That sounds like a good Asianometry video.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the infrastructure for internet usage that led to the tech boom in 1990s india came due to the indian government shifting from industrial goods in the 80s to more infrastructure investments.

https://ideas.repec.org/p/iim/iimawp/wp01000.html#:~:text=Computerisation%20on%20Indian%20Railways%20started,Operating%20Statistics%20etc.

This paper talks about how the indian government systematically computerized the railways starting from the 1960s - this was at a time where the railway budget was important enough that it got it's own separate budget apart from the regular budget. Doing this required building up the industrial infrastructure necessary to do computer touching. States like Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka became tech hubs in India by doing competitive advantage poo poo on top of the infrastructure built by the central government by the late 80s.

Asianometry had a video on how india has a thriving medical sector and talked about how it was primarily as a result of government intervention, playing hardball on patent laws and development of government run labs to build medicine that eventually trickled into the private sector.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

basically they dive down and blast em near in person. james bond style. doubt theres enough dose left if the fish lives to matter. way more dangerous to the fisherguy. even if they die itll bond and breakdown regardless no? dunno how the decomposition of cynaide operates but its still happening. also i guess it being eaten is way different than passing directly into blood via gas.
cyanides are all water soluble just have to wait for concentrations to drop

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

the infrastructure for internet usage that led to the tech boom in 1990s india came due to the indian government shifting from industrial goods in the 80s to more infrastructure investments.

https://ideas.repec.org/p/iim/iimawp/wp01000.html#:~:text=Computerisation%20on%20Indian%20Railways%20started,Operating%20Statistics%20etc.

This paper talks about how the indian government systematically computerized the railways starting from the 1960s - this was at a time where the railway budget was important enough that it got it's own separate budget apart from the regular budget. Doing this required building up the industrial infrastructure necessary to do computer touching. States like Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka became tech hubs in India by doing competitive advantage poo poo on top of the infrastructure built by the central government by the late 80s.

found the full paper here if anyone is interested http://vslir.iima.ac.in:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11718/6360/WP%201991_924.pdf its pretty neat. Starting from ticketing/reservation, it talks about all the positive spillover effects something like this can have across many other industries and society. And a lot of that management software (ticketing, freight logistics) was designed, developed and deployed entirely "in-house," or indigineously as the paper describes.

A central authority funding the wholly in house development (along five year plans no less) of new tech and methods, a key to success?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah until modi abolished the planning commission we were having 5 year plans. The last one wanted to focus on HSR and had been about building the precursor tech.