Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Either of these options also give you the benefit of remote playing the game from either your PC or PS5 and get some Elden Ring on your deck without compromising quality.

This depends a lot on how much you travel with your deck. If you're using it for couch gaming on your home network? Absolutely. I love Chakai and will tell anyone who listens that the Deck is the best version of the PS5 Portal there is because, unlike that piece of crap, it can actually do stuff by itself.

Plus it also has rear buttons that are easy to map goddamn why do mainline consoles in tyool 2024 not have back buttons?

Detective No. 27 posted:

FF7 Rebirth coming out next week on PS5 is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. I’m gonna have to give Chiaki another try.

What gave you problems? Once you get it running Chakai is great. The setup can be a little obtuse, but it boils down to copying console commands from how-tos and just doing what they say even if you don't understand what you're donig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you haven't played Bloodborne go for a ps5 so you can add that to your list and really enjoy the glorious 30fps.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Annath posted:

I'm telling you that isn't true. I have the FPS displayed at all times with that Geforce program.

It's not uncommon for there to be issues with new GPU drivers, so I don't immediately update them, so that might be part of it.

Regardless, I've only ever seen articles about how *well* the game is optimized and how well it runs.

The sole exception is its raytracing implementation. That does indeed absolutely wreck it's performance, but since the game really doesn't benefit from it in the first place, leaving it turned off is fine.

Ok, your PC is special.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Animal posted:

Ok, your PC is special.

Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this. This is is literally the first I've ever heard of this "issue", and I spend more time time on the Elden Ring sub reddit than is probably healthy.

I don't know think it's my PC that's special here, I think the poor performance might be caused by something on your end. In any case, don't go around telling people that this is such a universal issue that they should avoid playing the game on PC.

E: looking into it, it looks like there were issues 2 years ago at launch, but they've been solved. Between game updates and changing a few settings on the players end (turning off Steam overlay for one, which you should be doing for all games) it's pretty much resolved.

Annath fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 22, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Annath posted:

Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you about this. This is is literally the first I've ever heard of this "issue", and I spend more time time on the Elden Ring sub reddit than is probably healthy.

I don't know think it's my PC that's special here, I think the poor performance might be caused by something on your end. In any case, don't go around telling people that this is such a universal issue that they should avoid playing the game on PC.

E: looking into it, it looks like there were issues 2 years ago at launch, but they've been solved. Between game updates and changing a few settings on the players end (turning off Steam overlay for one, which you should be doing for all games) it's pretty much resolved.

The shader compilation stutters have not been fixed, they never implemented a shader pre-compilation step. Your PC stutters just like every other PC when it compiles a shader for the first time. It doesn't matter how infuriating it is to you to read this.

Maybe someone here has the time and energy to take the ball on this one and try to convince you. We could take it to the GPU megathread if you are honestly interested in understanding this issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pc gaming is so loving lame lol

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Detective No. 27 posted:

FF7 Rebirth coming out next week on PS5 is gonna be a tough pill to swallow. I’m gonna have to give Chiaki another try.

I followed the steps here, and besides there being some issues for some of the app icon configuration that presumably happen because I don't have DeckyLoader installed, it went very smoothly and I was able to play the Rebirth Demo without any issue. https://gamerant.com/how-to-remote-play-ps5-games-steam-deck-chiaki4deck/

The only issue I ran into was that the default controller layout doesn't include the PS Button, so make sure you grab one from the Community Layouts that does.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Klungar posted:

I followed the steps here, and besides there being some issues for some of the app icon configuration that presumably happen because I don't have DeckyLoader installed, it went very smoothly and I was able to play the Rebirth Demo without any issue. https://gamerant.com/how-to-remote-play-ps5-games-steam-deck-chiaki4deck/

The only issue I ran into was that the default controller layout doesn't include the PS Button, so make sure you grab one from the Community Layouts that does.

IIRC chakai maps the esc key to the PS button, so just map whatever you want to be it to esc.

I use one of the bottom rear buttons

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Animal posted:

The shader compilation stutters have not been fixed, they never implemented a shader pre-compilation step. Your PC stutters just like every other PC when it compiles a shader for the first time. It doesn't matter how infuriating it is to you to read this.

Maybe someone here has the time and energy to take the ball on this one and try to convince you. We could take it to the GPU megathread if you are honestly interested in understanding this issue.

FWIW, I have a 5800x and a 3080 and there may have been minor stutters but it wasn't terrible by any means. It was great on my PC, passable on deck (play it on something else or just stream it via moonlight), and I even played it on my 4k TV and it was pretty great at nearly 60fps.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my pc is special tho

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's nice that you didn't experience or notice any issues with it Annath. It's a breathtaking game when it runs smoothly. I played on a 3070 Ti with worse CPU than you have, and my game was more in line with what Digital Foundry has shown. The ray tracing update came out about halfway through my playthrough and it didn't make much of a difference having it on or off.

I still would suggest PS5 or even Steam Deck over a high end PC for new Elden Ring players. I only actually died from the issue a couple times but smooth traversal is really good for the awe factor.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I played Elden Ring on Deck until I got bored of it and have no idea what anyone is arguing about!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

boxen posted:

If Elden Ring doesn't go that well on SD, is Armored Core 6 in the same boat?

AC6 worked pretty decently and i was asking the SD to render to 1080p for my monitor, so I can't see why it wouldn't run good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What gave you problems? Once you get it running Chakai is great. The setup can be a little obtuse, but it boils down to copying console commands from how-tos and just doing what they say even if you don't understand what you're donig.

I had no issues setting it up. There was terrible lag last time I tried it. Barely a few frames per second. I think it might be due to the T-Mobile 5G home internet I use but Moonlight seems to work without issues. :shrug: I haven’t tried it since upgrading to the OLED so maybe it’ll work better now. Something to try this weekend when I have a moment to spare.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I had no issues setting it up. There was terrible lag last time I tried it. Barely a few frames per second. I think it might be due to the T-Mobile 5G home internet I use but Moonlight seems to work without issues. :shrug: I haven’t tried it since upgrading to the OLED so maybe it’ll work better now. Something to try this weekend when I have a moment to spare.

Yeah, that sounds like a networking problem. Is your PS connected to your network wirelessly as well?

I never had input lag like you're describing, but I did have dropped frames and general degradation of visuals when I had both the deck and the PS on wirelessly. I've got a MESH setup and just running a cable from my PS to one of the nodes was enough to calm things down so that the connection stopped being crap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Let me know what you think about the Last Epoch the game seems like it runs great on the deck but the controller support is seriously lacking which is unfortunate.

I didn't forget about you. The controller support is pretty laughable. It didn't enable until I actually got in game (had to use touch screen and the default setup is literally just a steam default layout). Once in, I had to try to set up a few obvious bindings you would use a lot because the default to open your inventory is something like "hold left trigger, hold up on right joystick, them hit A to confirm." You need 3 hands or claw grip basically. I then got into fighting as a bow class (rogue). There's no aim on the 2nd stick, and even when holding a skill you stutter step. There's no binding I could find for force stand still, so for me right there it's unplayable on deck. :( Other classes like melee may be fine but any mage or range class it's going to suck.

This was all found in like 5 minutes of trying. I didn't try inventory management but imagine that it would be awful and again require multiple hands. At least D4 got one thing right and built it in from the onset. This definitely feels tacked on.

If this is your only way to play, I would not touch it. At least not yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't forget about you. The controller support is pretty laughable. It didn't enable until I actually got in game (had to use touch screen and the default setup is literally just a steam default layout). Once in, I had to try to set up a few obvious bindings you would use a lot because the default to open your inventory is something like "hold left trigger, hold up on right joystick, them hit A to confirm." You need 3 hands or claw grip basically. I then got into fighting as a bow class (rogue). There's no aim on the 2nd stick, and even when holding a skill you stutter step. There's no binding I could find for force stand still, so for me right there it's unplayable on deck. :( Other classes like melee may be fine but any mage or range class it's going to suck.

This was all found in like 5 minutes of trying. I didn't try inventory management but imagine that it would be awful and again require multiple hands. At least D4 got one thing right and built it in from the onset. This definitely feels tacked on.

drat! Thanks for the write up. I was hoping for a new ARPG to play but it sounds like it’s a bit of a mess.

Oh well! Back to DRG survivors then

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I've been playing it on deck and it's a lot of fun if the servers hold. you hold left trigger to bring up a radial menu, and from there you go into you inventory/character/etc. no need to confirm with a. To attack your point your character at an enemy and press the button of the attack you want to do. It could do better at snapping to targets, but it plays pretty typically for an arpg, - its not a twin stick shooter

way late edit: oh yeah, if you do pick it up make sure to run it with proton experimental or GE (I use the latter) or some important textures, like the map for example, won't show up

Nefarious 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 23, 2024

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

you don't have to hit a to confirm, just release the radial menu button while you have the stick tilted

I've been playing 1.0 exclusively with a controller as a warlock and it's been fun so far. It's certainly better than poe.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I tried several times to open the inventory, I could not get it to open unless I did that. Either way you can set it to the keyboard I key and it will open with a trigger or back button, but that's not the main problem. That being there's not a force stand still key bind. I don't know how you play a ranged character otherwise. Both D3 and D4 aren't twin stick shooters either but they figured out of you're holding down a skill you stay in place and can then use the stick to direct your attacks. Otherwise trying to shoot my bow from a distance and stepping towards dudes while attacking them it's kinda dumb.

I'll play around with it more since it was a pretty short test session but for now I don't think it's that great on deck. Fps was fine more or less on the 40s though only running proton experimental.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

I tried several times to open the inventory, I could not get it to open unless I did that. Either way you can set it to the keyboard I key and it will open with a trigger or back button, but that's not the main problem. That being there's not a force stand still key bind. I don't know how you play a ranged character otherwise. Both D3 and D4 aren't twin stick shooters either but they figured out of you're holding down a skill you stay in place and can then use the stick to direct your attacks. Otherwise trying to shoot my bow from a distance and stepping towards dudes while attacking them it's kinda dumb.

I'll play around with it more since it was a pretty short test session but for now I don't think it's that great on deck. Fps was fine more or less on the 40s though only running proton experimental.

I just downloaded it on my deck to check - if I hold back (left menu button), tilt the right stick up and release back it reliably opens the inventory. Are you using the default keybindings everywhere?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
A console stutters a little bit
"Well, I guess they didn't squash all the bugs, haha! What a pleasant experience otherwise!"

A PC stutters a little bit
"I am going to commit a murder"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah pc gamers are freaks

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

History Comes Inside! posted:

Watch it! The Steam Deck is the neutral zone in the platform wars.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

actually i'm not capable of perceiving brief interruptions in time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

To briefly bring the talk of Tetris Effect back, with the help of another goon, I made a thread[/url][/b] which covers Tetris, Puyo-Puyo, and also any other falling block game y'all wanna talk about. Please, go hog wild. I insist.

Edit: now with proper linking!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To briefly bring the talk of Tetris Effect back, with the help of another goon, I made a thread which covers Tetris, Puyo-Puyo, and also any other falling block game y'all wanna talk about. Please, go hog wild. I insist.

You linked the Game Thread Directory Thread, and I can't find an entry mentioning Tetris (other than 99), Puyo, or the word "block". :saddowns:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

You linked the Game Thread Directory Thread, and I can't find an entry mentioning Tetris (other than 99), Puyo, or the word "block". :saddowns:

I used my hyper-advanced hacking skills of going to the last page and scrolling down to find the link:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054908

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Dramicus posted:

I used my hyper-advanced hacking skills of going to the last page and scrolling down to find the link:

Oh, I didn't think to do that.

In my defense, I looked at the page that was linked to. :pseudo:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vic posted:

A console stutters a little bit
"Well, I guess they didn't squash all the bugs, haha! What a pleasant experience otherwise!"

A PC stutters a little bit
"I am going to commit a murder"

Fortunately we have the wrong kinds of ram to unite us in these turbulent times

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My LCD screen is doing blips of green lines across it. It's one or two right now, but it's only going to get worse :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Annath posted:

D'ahhhh, crap. Sorry about that.

Dramicus posted:

Thank you for fixing my gently caress up! I've edited my post.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Do the Steam deck haptics not work in Balatro or is it just me? I heard the rumble is really nice on the Switch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Deck barely has any noticable rumble at all so it might be that.

Also heads up to anyone who uses Moonlight but hasn't switched to Sunshine yet, the new Nvidia app seems to finally be killing Gamestream. So be aware of that if you're updating your software.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Ragequit posted:

Do the Steam deck haptics not work in Balatro or is it just me? I heard the rumble is really nice on the Switch.

I couldn't find a way to get it working either, so maybe it's not implemented. I'm jealous of the HD Rumble on the Switch in this scenario.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The rumble on switch for balatro is one of the best I’ve ever seen. It’s so well done

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm not sure if my Deck is broken or something, but I don't think it's ever "rumbled". The TouchPad have their haptic feedback, but I haven't noticed any rumble.

When I toggle rumble in a game's options, nothing happens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try the aperture desk job game, it should have vibration. It’s not amazing but it’s there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try the aperture desk job game, it should have vibration. It’s not amazing but it’s there.

Frankly rumble is poorly-to-not implemented in most PC versions of games, at least in my experience.